B.C. VIEWS: Nisga'a treaty no panacea

B.C. VIEWS: Nisga'a treaty no panacea

There are 3 comments on the Kelowna Capital News story from Jul 7, 2011, titled B.C. VIEWS: Nisga'a treaty no panacea. In it, Kelowna Capital News reports that:

There were high hopes and harsh words in 2000 when the provincial and federal governments signed Canada's first modern-day treaty with the Nisga'a people of northwestern B.C. The four villages are now governed by the Nisga'a Lisims government, which holds broad authority transferred from the federal and provincial governments.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Kelowna Capital News.

Bobb

Powell River, Canada

#1 Jul 8, 2011
As everyone, except the government,knew that this was going to be a multi million dollar failure.As usual the taxpayers are on the hook for the natives inability to do anything right.
Cana

Canada

#2 Jul 8, 2011
http://www.fcpp.org/ doing the study, and Tom Fletcher with the follow-up article. No wonder the Nisga council turfed him. I wonder how Cambell river council would hold up?
Ben

Victoria, Canada

#3 Jul 11, 2011
The Nisga'a approved the contents of the Treaty. It appears that it's the Nisga'a legislation that is NOT making the treaty work. After 11 years , has there been a complete review on what is NOT working for the Nisga'a citizens, mostly the delivery of the programs and services??????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Quesnel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A.Y. Jackson painting of Barkerville on display... Jul 29 Becky 1
News Web Extra: Woman dies in house fire (Oct '08) Sep '16 Kim 3
News Aboriginal man found not guilty of sex offence ... (May '16) May '16 Pete 1
News Arrest in daytime robbery (Dec '14) Jan '15 on_point 4
News Justice for Tsilhqot'in finally arrives 150 yea... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Custer 1
News Mine spill tests turn to long-term effects (Aug '14) Aug '14 spread the word 2
News BC Assessment uses mobile digital cameras to do... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Mount Polley spill 1
More from around the web