Study backs push for Nanaimo airport ...

Study backs push for Nanaimo airport upgrade

There are 3 comments on the Parksville Qualicum News story from Aug 21, 2008, titled Study backs push for Nanaimo airport upgrade. In it, Parksville Qualicum News reports that:

' Small businesses could take off if airport services in the region improve, a recent study indicates.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Parksville Qualicum News.

#1 Sep 8, 2008
We have big airports in Victoria and Comox, thats close enough .We don't need to risk our drinking water aquafer,downgrade our agricultural land, or increase our noise pollution. Just spend a day next to any major airport, and then tell me you want one next door! We live in a beautifull rural paradise, who wants to ruin it? and Why?
Danny J

Mililani, HI

#2 Mar 19, 2010
Because airports bring in revenue, pure and simple. Nanaimo is projected to grow over 20% in population over the next 8 years, and in order to maintain that kind of growth, a larger transportation hub is needed.

We are well behind in infrastructure than a comparable city in the states like Portland or Palm Springs; and like it our not, our cities MUST be competitive ie, businesses have to boom.

Think about the added benefit of being able to land 737-300s in Nanaimo, that means tourist dollars and taxable sea-containers at over $6000 a piece. That makes a lot of financial sense to me.

Go to and check out their environmental regulations, I'm sure that you will agree that any spillage into groundwater is highly mitigated.

Nanaimo, Canada

#3 Jun 8, 2011
Airports pollute ground water less than golf courses. True they are noisy but they compensate with local revenue and jobs.

Most residents in Nanaimo that I know complain about lack of direct air service to Nanaimo. Also competition with the Victoria airport should make Nanaimo consumers winners all the way.

I know if I lived near the airport I'd probably not be happy about it -- unless I decided to offer business services to the airport -- or get a job there -- then I'd be happy as a clam. Clearly the long term impact on property values around the upgraded airport will be sweet considering the increase in demand for local accommodation. That would enable any smart land owner to cash in and move to a more desirable location.

All things considered some people won't like the airport but the population around that area is relatively sparse -- yes I know people will argue that but it remains true relative to urban areas. What it means is that relatively few people will be disgruntled compared to the number that will benefit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Qualicum Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New political party wants Vancouver Island to b... Jul '16 RDL 15
News Rent is pricey in Parksville (Sep '15) Apr '16 Mr_White 2
News Provincial officials say emergency plan is in p... (Nov '15) Nov '15 slomotion 1
News RCMP 'inept, outdated,' Cummins says (Nov '11) Jun '15 Mike 5
News Symphony of Roses raises funds for the VIS (Mar '15) Mar '15 freethinkradio do... 1
News Tree houses lure adults to enjoy magic of the f... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mike 1
News Shipping News:No records broken in race (Jun '13) Jun '13 Steve 1
More from around the web