Native gangs spreading across Canada,...

Native gangs spreading across Canada, targeting at-risk youth, says RCMP

There are 99 comments on the Holly's Fight to Stop Violence story from Mar 16, 2010, titled Native gangs spreading across Canada, targeting at-risk youth, says RCMP. In it, Holly's Fight to Stop Violence reports that:

March 15, 2010, By Susanna Kelley, THE CANADIAN PRESS Aboriginal gangs are proliferating across Canada as criminal organizations exploit the intense poverty and squalid conditions that many First Nations youth live in, says a top officer with the RCMP's aboriginal police division.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Holly's Fight to Stop Violence.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ken

Brandon, Canada

#1 Mar 18, 2010
Many people have been plagued by poverty today, and throughout history, without reverting to crime. I agree that money has to go into the solution but I am rather tired of large financial initiatives that are put into problems without some expectation that people will help themselves.

I believe that reservations have outlived their usefulness, they offer very little to the residents. There are a few exceptions but not many. Most of them should become land held in trust for the former residents and they should be assisted to move where they choose within the country.
All of the resources that would be required to make them livable would cost more than the numbers would justify. It is almost a lost way of life. For those who love it money would not keep them there. They would stay because they love the land pure and simple.

Native people who have been identified as having demonstrated that they can parent effectively ie : have children that have been able to avoid all of the trouble, should be encouraged to mentor other families. So much of the problem seems to have come from the disruption to families via residential schools.The families should set goals, make a plan for the family that includes good self care ( bedtimes and curfews etc), good family care ( leisure, cleaning the home etc) and importance of school.
Perhaps a large gym such as the Y could be built in the North End and families who appear to be trying could have free memberships.They could do things as a family unit and get to know other families that are making an effort.

I am being simplistic but I am also not paid to come up with fancy programs. Don't spend too much on people who do not care about themselves spend more on those who are not already on that road.

In the meantime we will have to just deal with the mess that exists through courts and the alternatives already in place.
i-am-awesome

Winnipeg, Canada

#2 May 23, 2010
dig a big hole

throw all the bums/nates in there

bomb hole

problem solved.
max

Etobicoke, Canada

#3 May 23, 2010
i-am-awesome wrote:
dig a big hole
throw all the bums/nates in there
bomb hole
problem solved.
How about doing the same to your freaking kind.This is their land not yours you Moron.
Ace

Calgary, Canada

#4 May 23, 2010
Reading all the negative posts about Winnipeg is a saddening experience for me. I spent most of the 60's in Winnipeg, and it was a great city then. It was a whole different scene.Young people were traveling Canada en mass.Many stopping in Winnipeg.The atmosphere was friendly,hassles were few.I have so many great memories,It's hard to think of Winnipeg being so run down. The women in Winnipeg were beautiful beyond compare. The 60's in Winnipeg was an awesome time.
Ken

Brandon, Canada

#5 May 24, 2010
It is interesting how long some posters go on complaining about Winnipeg. I think it says more about them than Winnipeg. I have never stayed in a city that I hated for more than a couple of weeks. I have met few places like that because, for the most part, it is up to us as individuals to go out and "make" it happen for us.
Don't dismay too much there are still Winnipeggers enjoying the city.
Ace wrote:
Reading all the negative posts about Winnipeg is a saddening experience for me. I spent most of the 60's in Winnipeg, and it was a great city then. It was a whole different scene.Young people were traveling Canada en mass.Many stopping in Winnipeg.The atmosphere was friendly,hassles were few.I have so many great memories,It's hard to think of Winnipeg being so run down. The women in Winnipeg were beautiful beyond compare. The 60's in Winnipeg was an awesome time.
Ace

Calgary, Canada

#6 May 29, 2010
Ken wrote:
It is interesting how long some posters go on complaining about Winnipeg. I think it says more about them than Winnipeg. I have never stayed in a city that I hated for more than a couple of weeks. I have met few places like that because, for the most part, it is up to us as individuals to go out and "make" it happen for us.
Don't dismay too much there are still Winnipeggers enjoying the city.
<quoted text>
'Glad to learn that Ken. I'm also glad to see a positive response. I see news items from Winnipeg from time to time, and most deal with crime stories. I guess it' happening everywhere now. As a kid I thought by the year 2000 or so,we would be civilized enough that life would be wonderful. Instead we seem to be going in the oppisite direction.I wish more people had your attitude about going out and "make" it happen for us. Maybe one day the rest of mankind will be that enlightened.
Ken

Thompson, Canada

#7 May 29, 2010
The news stories are not untrue. It does seem though as if some people get stuck in news as opposed to life.I am guessing that you were in Winnipeg when the Memorial Park was a young people's gathering place and love and peace were the order of the day. I was in Toronto, Yorkville in those days.
As 'dorky' as that would now seem, as laughable as our clothes were and as disgusting as our infrequent showers may have been we knew how to reach out for the goodness found in a day of peace with other human beings etc.
We do need practical applications for the problems that Winnipeg has. In visiting other cities the only difference I can see is that it is more easily visible here. It seems that in other places a particular suburb "has a bad name".
I suppose as one who now considers himself a Winnipegger I find it incredibly strange that these people stay and grumble. A cheap flight to Vancouver is only about $350 and Toronto $250. What stands between a person and that kind of cash. If they don't have it they are the people that always refer to the impoverished people with such disdain.
All cities have problems - big problems as well as their joys.
Ace wrote:
<quoted text> 'Glad to learn that Ken. I'm also glad to see a positive response. I see news items from Winnipeg from time to time, and most deal with crime stories. I guess it' happening everywhere now. As a kid I thought by the year 2000 or so,we would be civilized enough that life would be wonderful. Instead we seem to be going in the oppisite direction.I wish more people had your attitude about going out and "make" it happen for us. Maybe one day the rest of mankind will be that enlightened.
hotsoup

Comox, Canada

#8 May 31, 2010
Ace wrote:
Reading all the negative posts about Winnipeg is a saddening experience for me. I spent most of the 60's in Winnipeg, and it was a great city then. It was a whole different scene.Young people were traveling Canada en mass.Many stopping in Winnipeg.The atmosphere was friendly,hassles were few.I have so many great memories,It's hard to think of Winnipeg being so run down. The women in Winnipeg were beautiful beyond compare. The 60's in Winnipeg was an awesome time.
what the fk do u mean , canada is the indians land . do u follow history.it was conquered by the whites .. just like most countries have been by others .... put down your crack pipe for a day... cheers from vancouver isalnd da best place on earth...
hotsoup

Comox, Canada

#9 May 31, 2010
do like hitler , throw them all in da oven , dirty fk indians...cheers...
ebonics

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 May 31, 2010
Ken wrote:
The news stories are not untrue. It does seem though as if some people get stuck in news as opposed to life.I am guessing that you were in Winnipeg when the Memorial Park was a young people's gathering place and love and peace were the order of the day. I was in Toronto, Yorkville in those days.
As 'dorky' as that would now seem, as laughable as our clothes were and as disgusting as our infrequent showers may have been we knew how to reach out for the goodness found in a day of peace with other human beings etc.
We do need practical applications for the problems that Winnipeg has. In visiting other cities the only difference I can see is that it is more easily visible here. It seems that in other places a particular suburb "has a bad name".
I suppose as one who now considers himself a Winnipegger I find it incredibly strange that these people stay and grumble. A cheap flight to Vancouver is only about $350 and Toronto $250. What stands between a person and that kind of cash. If they don't have it they are the people that always refer to the impoverished people with such disdain.
All cities have problems - big problems as well as their joys.
<quoted text>
how simplistic is that? so you get to vancouver and then what? You become a squatter? I dont mind a good debate but let's stop the stupid talk.
Ace

Calgary, Canada

#11 Jun 1, 2010
There probably are no simple answers. Also there are as many opinions as there are people to form them. Yes I recall history being taught rather extensively in University.I am aware of Indian status in North America, including Canada. It is not my intent to argue with anyone. I simply am sad that Winnipeg has fallen on such unfortunate times.
i-am-awesome

Winnipeg, Canada

#12 Jun 1, 2010
max wrote:
<quoted text>How about doing the same to your freaking kind.This is their land not yours you Moron.
it's not their land anymore. all the land in this world was fought for and our ancestors fought for and won this land. if the indians want it back, gather up the arrows and horses and try to take it back, lulz
Ken

Brandon, Canada

#13 Jun 1, 2010
No more simplistic than a person somehow surviving in Winnipeg, having shelter, food,at least the basics and then complaining about the place that affords it for them. In fact, if you can't afford a modest move you are probably one of the people that the hardliners are calling out as the 'poverty' that exists.
Life is not just about monetary wealth - that is simplistic. There are many working poor in Winnipeg and they are not robbing others, jacking people's cars etc. They are off to Assiniboine Park for the free Teddy Bears Picnic with their children, or fireworks on July 1st, have reduced Y memberships etc. These people have pride, some own very modest homes etc.
Honestly, if those who stay because they can't afford the move they are likely blaming their lot in life on the city not their own personal lack of resources.
Winnipeg has problems but good,normal and healthy people do manage live here happily. In fact they would be the types that would be more likely to move if they were unhappy.
ebonics wrote:
<quoted text>
how simplistic is that? so you get to vancouver and then what? You become a squatter? I dont mind a good debate but let's stop the stupid talk.
Wendy

Vancouver, Canada

#15 Mar 25, 2011
I pray one day our youths will make an ultimate decision on changing their way of life. To realize that there is more this world has to offer that violent actions will never give, which is your freedom to make your dream come true.
I speak of experience and I'm telling you now what an honor it is to give back to a community that has helped you in more ways than one to put one foot infront of the other. I am a proud Canadian First Nation, who has recieved a Gold Medal from competing in the 2011 Canadian Masters Championships Indoor Track and Field, Kamloops, B.C. I also have been invited to compete in Sacramento to represent Canada. What an Honor! You Can Do It Too! It's not too late!
Meso Hohni

Duncan, Canada

#16 Mar 26, 2011
As with any gangs they recruit the uneducated and the simple minded.
Ken

Winnipeg, Canada

#17 Mar 26, 2011
Wendy wrote:
I pray one day our youths will make an ultimate decision on changing their way of life. To realize that there is more this world has to offer that violent actions will never give, which is your freedom to make your dream come true.
I speak of experience and I'm telling you now what an honor it is to give back to a community that has helped you in more ways than one to put one foot infront of the other. I am a proud Canadian First Nation, who has recieved a Gold Medal from competing in the 2011 Canadian Masters Championships Indoor Track and Field, Kamloops, B.C. I also have been invited to compete in Sacramento to represent Canada. What an Honor! You Can Do It Too! It's not too late!
Many of your brothers and sisters are walking the road you have chosen. Do not fall for the crap that some writers post. I hope that you will google "Candace Sutherland" she is a native girl after your own heart.She has done more for the homeless in Winnipeg than 97% of all of the adults who live in this city.Not everyone gets the kind of accolades that both you and Candace do many are just out there getting the best marks they can in school and going on to work their way into the job force beyond being forced to engage in only the scraps that society would have otherwise offered them. They want more and they are going for it.
I am not native. I do believe though that the very best people to pull native people along into a rightful place in society is other native people. We whites have disappointed you in the past and even when we mean well we may just not be getting it right. Many younger native children probably watch your races and start to believe in things that they couldn't prior to that.
Good luck and don't listen to sick people.
Ken

Winnipeg, Canada

#18 Mar 26, 2011
Meso Hohni wrote:
As with any gangs they recruit the uneducated and the simple minded.
They also recruit other young people who have no place that offers a sense of belonging that is positive.
Lady Atlas

Reno, NV

#19 Mar 26, 2011
Ace wrote:
<quoted text> 'Glad to learn that Ken. I'm also glad to see a positive response. I see news items from Winnipeg from time to time, and most deal with crime stories. I guess it' happening everywhere now. As a kid I thought by the year 2000 or so,we would be civilized enough that life would be wonderful. Instead we seem to be going in the oppisite direction.I wish more people had your attitude about going out and "make" it happen for us. Maybe one day the rest of mankind will be that enlightened.
Not likely to happen. Humans just aren't wired that way, we're wired for self-destruction. And that is exactly what we're doing.
Earthicide is the solution. Humanity is the problem.
Get rid of all humans, get rid of all problems.
As simple as 0-0=0.
Lady Atlas

Reno, NV

#20 Mar 26, 2011
i-am-awesome wrote:
<quoted text>
it's not their land anymore. all the land in this world was fought for and our ancestors fought for and won this land. if the indians want it back, gather up the arrows and horses and try to take it back, lulz
Clods like you just prove why Earthicide is the solution.
Just because you fought for it doesn't make it yours, no matter how convincing the lies you tell yourself are.
If you steal something does that make it belong to you, magically?
Thinking like this is what is going to bring on Earthicide. Maybe the world doesn't belong to us...we belong to the world and the world is big enough, with the help of Mother Nature, to shake us off like the cancer humanity has become.
Perhaps it's time for humanity to be eliminated before we turn the whole universe into a trash heap.
Lady Atlas

Reno, NV

#21 Mar 26, 2011
hotsoup wrote:
do like hitler , throw them all in da oven , dirty fk indians...cheers...
Earthicide is the solution!
Hitler was half-Jew. He should have joined them in the ovens! LMAO!
Yes, we need Earthicide. Humanity is hopeless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prince Rupert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Canada aboriginal community pushes back against... May 10 good on em 1
News Blockbuster US$70-billion Shell-BG deal could w... Apr '15 Justice for Jeff ... 1
Prince Rupert Is Now World Famous Feb '15 WorldFamousStar 1
News Canada obligated to launch inquiry into missing... Jan '15 Tammy 1
News LNG plans continue in 2015 despite oil slump Jan '15 so many crooks 1
News Canada obligated to launch inquiry into missing... Jan '15 so many crooks 1
Prince Rupert Music Thread (Nov '14) Dec '14 Musikologist 2
More from around the web