What If the Bismarck Had Escaped Dest...

What If the Bismarck Had Escaped Destruction?

There are 44 comments on the HistoryNet story from Nov 5, 2012, titled What If the Bismarck Had Escaped Destruction?. In it, HistoryNet reports that:

The 50,000-ton warship's objective was to reach British convoy routes in the North Atlantic and do as much damage as possible.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at HistoryNet.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anonymous

UK

#1 Nov 7, 2012
The bismark was sent to the bottom of the ocean by the British navy, just like the rest of the German navy was sunk by britain, britain had the best navy, and still today has the second best after America
ronan

Beckenham, UK

#2 Nov 9, 2012
straa wrote:
britain had the best navy, and still today has the second best after America
I doubt that very much now; Britain won't have an operational aircraft carrier before 2020! At present it has none...
Alexanddre

Athens, Greece

#3 Nov 10, 2012
France is the 3rd largest arms manufacturer. It has a plane carrier, a few submarines armed with nukes around England. England is far behind.
straa, what about Pakistan? can you tell us about it??

~A~
Rio

Beckenham, UK

#4 Nov 10, 2012
straa wrote:
The bismark was sent to the bottom of the ocean by the British navy, just like the rest of the German navy was sunk by britain, britain had the best navy, and still today has the second best after America
At best, the British navy is ranked 6th in the world.
It's behind the US, Russia, China, India, and Turkey!!
Anonymous

UK

#5 Nov 10, 2012
Alexanddre wrote:
France is the 3rd largest arms manufacturer. It has a plane carrier, a few submarines armed with nukes around England. England is far behind.
straa, what about Pakistan? can you tell us about it??
~A~
Are you joking, britains military is far above france LOL, you have one old carrier, we have two much bigger ones with the latest planes, not the poor raphaelle crap, France is a long way behind britain I'm sorry to tell you. And rip, britain has the third best navy in the world, why don't you Google it, then you can all see how far infront britain is and how far behind France is LOL, britain has the latest nuclear and attack submarines and the best destroyers on the planet, the type 45, our navy is light years ahead of France
Rio

UK

#6 Nov 10, 2012
straa wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you joking, britains military is far above france LOL, you have one old carrier, we have two much bigger ones with the latest planes, not the poor raphaelle crap, France is a long way behind britain I'm sorry to tell you. And rip, britain has the third best navy in the world, why don't you Google it, then you can all see how far infront britain is and how far behind France is LOL, britain has the latest nuclear and attack submarines and the best destroyers on the planet, the type 45, our navy is light years ahead of France
Correction here!

In personel numbers, the French armed forces are superior to the UK, which proposes to reduce its strength by a further 20,000.
We do not have an aircraft carrier in UK; the last one was decommissioned last year. Britain will not have an operational aircraft carrier before 2016, and the aircraft to go with it haven't be decided yet. At best, they will be provided by 2020, and they will be US-made too!
As for nuclear submarines, Britain has yet to decide on the replacement of its ageing Trident programme; at best, we will have 4 subs - instead of 5 at present - if the budget is voted. This is far from being a foregone conclusion; many military think the money could be spend better somewhere else, and many British politicians think we don't need an independent detrerent since we are part of NATO, under the US umbrella.
The strength of our Royal Navy has been halved since the Falkland Islands war; read the reports before writing complete falsehood!
Anonymous

UK

#7 Nov 10, 2012
The royal navy is stronger now than it has been since ww2, it is you who is uninformed, we are investing a lot mire in our military than France, we have just built our new destroyer fleet, the most advanced in the world, far mire advanced than anything France has, we have just built our new fleet of attack submarines, and again they are the most advanced in the world unrolled America build there new ones in 2014, we are currently building an another new fleet of type 42s and two aircraft supercarriers, and obviously you font watch the news because it was announced two weeks ago that the first three billion has been awarded to the firm for designing the next trident nuclear suns, if you want i will give you links to all of this, I know that you french have an inferiority complex so I don't mind you Rio, are you ashamed for being French
Rio

UK

#8 Nov 10, 2012
straa wrote:
The royal navy is stronger now than it has been since ww2, it is you who is uninformed, we are investing a lot mire in our military than France, we have just built our new destroyer fleet, the most advanced in the world, far mire advanced than anything France has, we have just built our new fleet of attack submarines, and again they are the most advanced in the world unrolled America build there new ones in 2014, we are currently building an another new fleet of type 42s and two aircraft supercarriers, and obviously you font watch the news because it was announced two weeks ago that the first three billion has been awarded to the firm for designing the next trident nuclear suns, if you want i will give you links to all of this, I know that you french have an inferiority complex so I don't mind you Rio, are you ashamed for being French
I am no French you idiot, no more than you are a Brit: you are Indian, faking to be a Brit, but you don't fool anyone with your bombastic claims.
We won't have an operational aircraft carrier before 2020 at least, so stop saying that Britain has one!
The new Trident programme hasn't been decided yet; it would commit Britain to pay 50 billions to replace our ageing nuclear submarine fleet.
I only underline these facts to criticise our government; facts are that our Royal Navy has been badly culled since the Falklands.
Anonymous

UK

#9 Nov 10, 2012
Again you are wrong, the royal navy is stronger now than it was in the falklands war, one of our new shops is worth ten of our falklands islands shipa, our new fleets are far more capable, our power projection is far more capable, and certainly superipur to France, and the three billion has allready been asigned to design the new trident, we eouldbt be wasting it if we weren't going to build it, labour and the Tories are both in agreement that it will ne replaced soon, only the lib dems have a different policy, but as we both know, if you really are British,they are never going to be elected and after the next election will be even smaller than ukip, so thry won't even be part of a coalition
Anonymous

UK

#10 Nov 10, 2012
The first new aircraft carrier( queen Elizabeth) has almost been constructed now, and the first two sections of the second carrier (the prince of Wales)has allready been constructed, do you want a link to the pictures, they are huge
Anonymous

UK

#11 Nov 10, 2012
What the Chinese government thinks about the status of the world powers
Http://en.m.Wikipedia.org/wiki/comprehensive_...
Anonymous

UK

#12 Nov 10, 2012
The huge brand new British aircraft supercarriers.
Http://WWW.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php...
Anonymous

UK

#13 Nov 10, 2012
Those aircraft supercqrriers sit alongside our banner new type 45 destroyers, the most advanced in the world, our brand new attack submarines, the most advanced in the world untill amweica build their new fleet, and our brand new type 42 frigates, also the top of their class, this all goes with our typhoons and f35 duty generation fightee jets, we have never had this much power projection capability, only America can rival us. In the whole world their are only three blue water navies, usa, UK and France, with France being the lower of the three great world navies, but you probably don't even know what blue water navy means, the fact that you mentioned turkey shows how idiotic you are
Rio

UK

#14 Nov 10, 2012
straa wrote:
Again you are wrong, the royal navy is stronger now than it was in the falklands war, one of our new shops is worth ten of our falklands islands shipa, our new fleets are far more capable, our power projection is far more capable, and certainly superipur to France, and the three billion has allready been asigned to design the new trident, we eouldbt be wasting it if we weren't going to build it, labour and the Tories are both in agreement that it will ne replaced soon, only the lib dems have a different policy, but as we both know, if you really are British,they are never going to be elected and after the next election will be even smaller than ukip, so thry won't even be part of a coalition
Consensus hardly exists about the Trident programme, and the release of 3 billions doesn't mean the replacement of the current 4 nuclear submarines, but probably the recommissioning of the fleet to give it a new lease of life. That's what the US are doing, prolonging the lifespan of their nuclear submarines from 25 to 40 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Trident_progr...

Work on a potential replacement for the Trident system has begun, although no final decisions have been taken.

The total cost of a Trident programme has been evaluated to be 50 billions over the whole period, et certainly not the 3 billions you are talking about! That's why each party gets cold feet about the project, which would mortgage Britain for a very long time, and condemn the party in power making the decision, in case of failure.
The military, incidentally, claims in its majority that the defense budget would be better spent without a Trident replacement.
Anonymous

UK

#15 Nov 10, 2012
Tje three billion is just for the design team for the reactors, not the actual submarines
Rio

UK

#16 Nov 10, 2012
straa wrote:
The first new aircraft carrier( queen Elizabeth) has almost been constructed now, and the first two sections of the second carrier (the prince of Wales)has allready been constructed, do you want a link to the pictures, they are huge
There is a difference between showing bits of hulls being made in different parts of Britain, and having an OPERATIONAL aircraft carrier; that seems to escape you.
"HMS Queen Elizabeth" is far from commissioning, probably 8 to 10 years away.
A ship as complex as a carrier is far more than a metal structure; there are years of fitting and equipment before it can sail, and even more before it can become a flagship.
As we speak, the choice of aircraft hasn't even been determined!
Also, budget projections say that the defense budget will only allow for the commissioning of ONE carrier, not 2!
Anonymous

UK

#17 Nov 10, 2012
Do you think it is sensible to entrust the safety of our nation to others, that is crazy, I don't think any politician wants to go down in history sa the man that left britain undefended just as the rest if the world were aquiring nukes, no one knows what will happen in the future, or to America or NATO, that is why we have an INDEPENDANT nuclear deterrant, anything less it total insanity, and future generation, the ones that survive, will curse your name through history as the man that destroyed britain, no politician is going to scra0 our nukes, not in a million years, if a party campaigned on that at election time, they would lose, badly
Anonymous

UK

#18 Nov 10, 2012
The internal fixtures are allready in place, you just hate that I proved you wrong, by showing you an almost complete carrier, with the second one nearly have built too, all the fixtures are put in place before the sections are joined, why don't you visit the forum I linked to learn more about are military
Anonymous

UK

#19 Nov 10, 2012
Would you like me to show you a picture of the second carrier, it is allready nearly half way complete
Anonymous

UK

#20 Nov 10, 2012
The decision of the aircraft was made weeks ago, it is the stovl f35c, don't you watch the news, the first one was delivered in a ceremony last month, I can link you to the story and pictures if you like

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Prince of Wales Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News HMS Prince of Wales Bridge Sets Sail Apr '15 James 1
News Prince Harry will attend the Gallipoli commemor... Apr '15 SpaceBlues 3
News Obama highlights monarchy's appeal Mar '15 goonsquad 6
News Charles and Camilla land in the US Mar '15 Cordwainer Trout 3
News Prince Charles, Camilla to visit Louisville in ... Feb '15 Old and Knowing One 4
News Charles 'unhappy with arms role' Feb '15 USA Today 1
News The funeral of Joan Rivers, pictured with her d... (Sep '14) Dec '14 Robert J 6
More from around the web