Mexican prison is 'hell,' says jailed Canadian

There are 16 comments on the Feb 1, 2007, Globe and Mail story titled Mexican prison is 'hell,' says jailed Canadian. In it, Globe and Mail reports that:

Starving in a Mexican jail and with little prospect of release, Mission resident Peter Kimber is still fighting mad.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Globe and Mail.

Hombre

Indianapolis, IN

#1 Feb 2, 2007
Huh. According to the American left Wing, Mexico has an excellent human rights record, including the cessation of the primitive death penalty. This couldn't possibly be happening in Mexico, of all places.
Factfile

Oaxaca, Mexico

#2 Feb 8, 2007
Peter George Kimber was arrested for his crimes after exhaustive campaigning by the local police, a local landowner and the British Couple. He had committed fraud against a Mexican National, Sra Eleuteria Sanchez Pinacho by impersonating a Real Estate Agent and taking possession of her land with only a $100 USD deposit. He also impersonated a legal building contractor in order to con $20,000 US dollars Mexican peso equivalent from the life savings of the British couple. He knew all along that he could never fulfill his promises written in the building contract because he was an illegal in Mexico and also had no permit to reside, nor work in Mexico. He of course would not receive his permit to construct without having first secured a residents visa.

THERE IS A LAW HERE IN OAXACA THAT STATES; IF ANYONE HAS STOLEN FROM YOU, IF THEY REPAY THAT DEBT THEN THEY ARE RELEASED WITHOUT QUESTION THE SAME DAY. THE $20,000 US DOLLAR FIGURE IS … NOT A BRIBE. IT IS THE HUNNEYBELL”S MONEY. PETER GEORGE KIMBER NEED NEVER HAVE SPENT A SINGLE DAY IN JAIL IF HE HAD REPAID THAT MONEY.

Don't believe the hype.

Factfile
Hombre

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Feb 8, 2007
...I already knew about that restitution law. I agree with it in principle, but it has got to be awfully hard to put that one into practice, when the guy in jail has to first get out in order to get the money....but nonetheless, thank you for the insight into the way the Mexican government treats 'illegal aliens', including the 'Americanos' whose sovereign nation has been beseiged by 'illegal aliens' from Mexico, and given freely many priviledges that quite a few Americans cannot afford themselves....please consider publishing your statements here in America. We want to emulate your way of dealing with these sorts of social problems.
Factfile

Oaxaca, Mexico

#4 Feb 17, 2007
I can only comment on this criminal Peter Kimber. as this is all the facts I have. He is Guilty.

I am surprised that so many Canadian Newpapers have not done ANY research. All that has happended is a regurgitation of the Peter Kimber family press release.
Robert Smith

Bracebridge, Canada

#5 Feb 20, 2007
Some Peter Kimber facts
ALL THESE FACTS CAN BE VERIFIED WITH CLEAR PROOF
1. Peter Kimber was living in Mexico WITHOUT A VALID VISA. His tourist visa had expired and an extention refused. His visa application for an FM3, work permit, was refused. Mexico has deemed him an undesirable and when he is deported he has a life ban from returning to Mexico. He worked illegally.
2. Peter Kimber never possessed or applied for a Builders licence in Mexico. He worked illegally.
3. Peter Kimber squatted illegally on a piece of land in Huatulco. The transit police had to have his bus and his family physically removed. It is not, nor ever was, in our posession.
4. Peter Kimber was evicted from 6 properties in the Huatulco area for non-payment of rent and damage to property.
5. Peter Kimber’s previous crimes in Canada as supplied by the Canadian police
1980 Posesión de Narcóticos con fines de trafico
1980 Posesión de Narcóticos
1980 Posesión de Medicamentos restrigidos con fines de trafico
1983 Posesión de Narcóticos
1996 Felonía, asalto y lesiones graves
2005 2 counts of Fraud, Mexico
6. Peter Kimber has been extradited from Belize and El Salvador. Please contact their consulate for details. He did not spend all his time in Mexico alone
7. Peter Kimber was found guilty of 2 counts of fraud. One against the English couple and the main one against a Mexican National. The fraud against the Mexican national was the heavier of the charges.
8. Peter Kimber was sentenced to 3 years NOT 18. The building Inspectors did a thorough inspection of the foundations he had built. There were no footings! The building was deemed unsafe and had to be removed. A further cost of $5,000 USD.
9. A PETITION WAS SENT BY THE LOCAL PEOPLE OF LA BOCANA, HUATULCO TO THE PRESIDENTE MUNICIPAL CONSTITUCIONAL (THE VILLAGE WHERE PETER KIMBER AND HIS FAMILY WERE LIVING) TO HAVE THEM REMOVED. The petition demands that his family be removed. This petition was signed by 82% of the village.
PRESS / MEDIA
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story....
'Help save what's left of my life'
B.C. dad sees no end of jail fights, beatings, meals of garbage
Susan Lazaruk, The Province
“He said he was arrested on Oct. 15, 2004, after a couple from the U.K. reneged on a contract to have Kimber build them a home.
He said Kevin and Tess Hunneybell, who run the Oaxaca Hotel bed-and-breakfast in Huatulco, had him arrested for fraud.”
The couple did not renege; they found out that he was illegal and that his foundations were unsafe. The building inspectors stopped Peter Kimber from building. They then asked for their money to be returned. He refused and so the authorities had him arrested.
http://www.banderasnews.com/0701/nw-mexicanpr...
Unable to Pay Bribes, B.C. Man Lingers in Mexican Prison
Susan Lazaruk - CanWest New
“Kimber, 44, who lived in Mission B.C. before moving to Mexico years ago with his then-common-law wife, her four daughters and his three children from a previous marriage who now live in Abbotsford B.C., said he was arrested on Oct. 15, 2004, after a couple from the U.K. reneged on a contract to have Kimber build them a home.”
The couple did not renege; they found out that he was illegal and that his foundations were unsafe. They then asked for their money to be returned.
“He said the couple had him arrested. They couldn't be reached for comment.”
They did not have him arrested; the local authorities did that. The couple does not have the power to even avoid a parking ticket; the idea that they could control the local police is frankly laughable. It also has to be stated that the main act of fraud was against the local landowner.
How many British Couples called “Hunneybell” are there in Huatulco?(a population of only 20,000). The press could not be bothered to find them for their side of the story.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/...
Patrick

Chocamán, Mexico

#6 Feb 21, 2007
Thanks for the information. This seems to have become a "cause" for some people.
Hombre

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Feb 22, 2007
Hey thanks Peter....again, I say, let us ( the US ) emulate Mexican immigration laws....and Patrick, this is yet one more reason that I would like living in Mexico. They actually seem to have common sense down there.
Senotark

Ottawa, Canada

#9 Feb 23, 2007
Im glad to see that there are actually some other sensible people who can actually see through the media's ridiculous propaganda that is causing all of the negativity towards tourism in Mexico.

I've absolutely had it with the Canadian media twisting words and stories to make a more exciting article and then people go on believing the nonsense because "Hey! It's in the newspaper or that guy said so on tv!" Poor little Italian guy who was killed there and now causing an uproar was likely rip roaring drunk or doped up and from what i hear, that he was dancing with a mexican girl whos boyfriend was at the club LIKELY wasnt trying to talk about things in a gentlemanly manner.

Murders happen everywhere! Look at Toronto, I dont know the stat exactly but im quite sure that 50-70 are murdered there every single year. Im from Trenton - the Ontario town where all the dead soldiers are sent - with a population of less than 20,000 and there have been at least three murders that have occured in our little town over the past few years.

My girlfriend is Mexican, she lives in Michocan. Im a born and raised Canadian. I have been to Mexico. Hell one day i plan on living there, all I want to say is Canadians need to take a look in their own backyard before they go talking about how dangerous and corrupt a country is when they don't even have a clue!

Some final words of advice to Canadian travellers. If your thinking about travelling to Mexico and are wondering what you can do to be safer? THINK BEFORE YOU ACT LIKE AN IDIOT and SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR THE MEXICAN CULTURE! Who knows, you may even have a good time.
Hombre

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Feb 23, 2007
Senotark wrote:
...THINK BEFORE YOU ACT LIKE AN IDIOT and SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR THE MEXICAN CULTURE! Who knows, you may even have a good time.
Amen to that brother; perhaps you might think about touring the American collegiate fraternities with that message.
Jim

Boulder, CO

#11 May 1, 2007
Are all you people insane? Debtor prisons were abolished in North America in the 1700's for good reasons.

Mr. Kimber was guilty of failing to file for proper permits, building without a license and not having a work visa. Any town in the United States has Mexicans working in it without a visa but none of them are going to face years in jail with regular beatings.

When an illegal Mexican contractor offers to work on one of my properties I don't think a three year jail sentence, taking of all his properties and deporting his family is an appropriate punishment.

To the British couple willing to benefit in civil matters from Mexican corruption, you aren't fooling me. The first world has no shortage of greedy self-absorbed nobodies who want to play king in a poor and unsophisticated country. You postings here under an alias are clear as day.

Hmmmm....strange you want him condemned for fraud and are making these ellegations against him under your own fraudulent identity. Look in the mirror you self centered garbage and think about all his children who deserve a Father. No, I am not morally outraged that a Canadian broke Mexican immigration law especially since approximately 20 million Mexicans are breaking the same laws in the US everyday!
Factfile

Huatulco, Mexico

#12 May 19, 2007
Why was Peter sent to prison for so long?

The missing link here http://peter-kimber-mexico-prison.blogspot.co...
jim

Winnipeg, Canada

#13 Jan 20, 2008
Factfile wrote:
Why was Peter sent to prison for so long?
The missing link here http://peter-kimber-mexico-prison.blogspot.co...
You are full of it if you get caught in the US you go straight to immigration detention and there you have NO RIGHTS no lawyers nothing and your children by the way go with you....I would rather be in MEXICO any day of the week
-CFUN Sucks-

Canada

#14 Apr 15, 2008
Peter Kimber is again being one-sidedly represented as a victim of the horrible Mexican system. Why? Because it's all too easy to subscribe to ignorant, racist stereotypes and villify Mexico.
Call up CFUN's producer(1-877-284-1410) and tell her that you're tired of this brand of pseudo-journalism. And while you have her on the phone, ask her how the Canadians treated Polish immigrant Robert Dziekanski... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dzieka%C5...
PAUL SHYKORA

Calgary, Canada

#15 Apr 19, 2008
CFUN Sucks: DO Yous' have some kind of a

subconscious-sexual-need to use dhat popular word---suck????...eh..
CHUKO

Aguascalientes, Mexico

#16 Apr 25, 2008
Doing time in MExico sucks believe me
Scott Weiland

Blenheim, Canada

#17 Oct 17, 2013
This man is a total fraud.He deserved that sentence.I am still owed over $1000 after he defrauded my daughter and when I confronted him he simply laughed.Locals in Huatulco will attest to the fact that he is a fraudster.I will find him and ensure he returns my money.
Do NOT believe his lies

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ottawa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Buy America Act provides punishment for small C... (Sep '14) Fri Jade 15
News Buy America Act provides punishment for small C... (Sep '14) Fri other stupid 9
News Musician finds haven of inspiration in Sooke Apr 24 UKP 1
News Duffy Trial Live: Day 10 Apr 22 tip of the iceberg 1
News Christie Blatchford: Somehow, living in Ottawa ... Apr 22 the dark side 1
American Express sucks Apr 22 Polaris 2
News OCDSB classes continue despite threat of teache... Apr 19 senior 1
More from around the web