pandaboii 101

Ottawa, Canada

#64 Apr 25, 2012
orleannss #FTW
Shmowzow

Toronto, Canada

#65 May 1, 2012
I don't know if anyone still checks this, but for those that do:

To the people bashing Bayshore, I can 100% back up anything they've said because I lived there for about 10 months. It sucks. Trust me.

It's boring, the traffic from the highway is really loud and disruptive, the lights will keep you awake at night if you don't buy proper blinds, and so on,

Plus sides are that living in these apartments CAN be cheap if you're splitting with a roommate or two, Bayshore mall is nearby (though it's nothing special), and the Bayshore transit station is right there as well.

Also, if you have a dog, please think twice about moving to Bayshore. As awful as this sounds, about 90% of Muslim people in this area will close doors on you, kick your dog away, and stuff because it's against their religion. I'd feel a little racist for saying that but it's true.

If you're East Indian or Muslim though, you'd probably enjoy this neighborhood because that's the dominant demographic and they're pretty tight-knit people over here. If you're a white kid like myself, expect some turned up noses, disgusted expressions, and just overall rudeness from your fellow tenants.

Good luck, all!

PS: People looking for cheap places, look for a townhouse to share with other people. Inexpensive as heck!
mrfromottawa

Ottawa, Canada

#66 May 4, 2012
good luck finding somthing for that price
Kiki

United States

#67 May 28, 2012
Hello. Im a nursing student and planning to move to Ottawa when I graduate w my kids and husband. I would love a family oriented area and/or near special ed schools, because one of my daughters is autistic. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions
Lyn

Ottawa, Canada

#68 Jun 4, 2012
Ottawa is changing so a lot of old stereotypes about areas also needs to be updated. People say Kanata and Orleans are good places to live -- I won't spend an hour to commute to work and those houses have no backyards. Sandy Hill used to be a good area but it is invaded by teen university students and whatever noise and trouble thatgo with it; the Market has its own problems too between homeless shelters and revelers. Living outside of Ottawa might be nice but you still have to fight traffic to get into town. There are nice houses and areas everywhere in the city; figure out where you are going to work and find a place to live that's not too far. As for Vanier bashers, at least it looks like a traditional neighbourhood with single-family houses and most people own their own house and there's a lot of renovation and new people moving in -- it is an upcoming area that is so close to downtown.
MAARGI

Ottawa, Canada

#69 Aug 7, 2012
Hi there,

We are looking for a place to live in ottawa, need some suggestion. Is Macy blvd is a good place to stay or there are crime around there.

Thanks
Jane

Renfrew, Canada

#71 Mar 16, 2013
Shmowzow wrote:
To the people bashing Bayshore, I can 100% back up anything they've said because I lived there for about 10 months. It sucks. Trust me.
It's boring, the traffic from the highway is really loud and disruptive, the lights will keep you awake at night if you don't buy proper blinds, and so on,
Plus sides are that living in these apartments CAN be cheap if you're splitting with a roommate or two, Bayshore mall is nearby (though it's nothing special), and the Bayshore transit station is right there as well.
Also, if you have a dog, please think twice about moving to Bayshore. As awful as this sounds, about 90% of Muslim people in this area will close doors on you, kick your dog away, and stuff because it's against their religion. I'd feel a little racist for saying that but it's true.
If you're East Indian or Muslim though, you'd probably enjoy this neighborhood because that's the dominant demographic and they're pretty tight-knit people over here. If you're a white kid like myself, expect some turned up noses, disgusted expressions, and just overall rudeness from your fellow tenants.
Good luck, all!
PS: People looking for cheap places, look for a townhouse to share with other people. Inexpensive as heck!
And the moslem women and SOME of the black women expect u to go right off the sidewalk when they walk towards you with baby carriages. Also some of the corner stores are racist to whites and lie every day about the prices of tomato soup or even tomatoes in general- hum and they talk anti-american which really upsets me as americans are our closest and most loved allies !!
Jane

Renfrew, Canada

#72 Mar 16, 2013
Lana Del Rey imposter wrote:
Ottawa is by far the worst place to live in Canada. Besides it being ridiculously expensive, there is virtually no career opportunities for young post-secondary graduates. Being bilingual is essential, and the French people here are big square tarts. I lived for nearly all my child hood and recently moved back, huge mistake on my end. Be advise not to even c onsider moving to Ottawa.
I totally agree. All my canadian friends want to leave and one is married and hates ottawa although she grew up here. Women are treated awful here due to the influx of arabs and SOME blacks, depends on where they are from. I came back a third time and Im regretting it every day. I cant wait to leave!!!!!!!!!!
Jane

Renfrew, Canada

#73 Mar 16, 2013
ORS wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Zezo,
I recently moved from JED-KSA and landed in Toronto, assuming that it is the perfect place to start in Canada.....Well it might be for some people, but not for me nor my family.
Post some research, discovered that Ottawa is simply a better step.
I would be grateful if we may talk further in order to get a better idea.
Omar R.Salha eur6ors@yahoo.com
Thank you
Toronto is a nightmare! It used to be nice when it was more canadian. Anywhere with alot of 3rd world people turns to crap.
Jane

Renfrew, Canada

#74 Mar 16, 2013
xxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Britannia is also bad with gangs and such. It is unfortunate because it has a beautiful beach but there is too much public housing there although there are nice homes also. The problem is roaming gangs of youth.
It used to be very nice when ottawa was white from what I heard. There were no gangs then too.
Michael

Grasmere, Canada

#76 Mar 31, 2013
It sounds like these reviews of areas of Ottawa are written by a bunch of princesses. I have lived in between Bayshore and Brittania for some time and the only gangs I have encountered are gangs of little kids playing in the parks and beaches in the area. Brittania and Bayshore are very undervalued areas of Ottawa considering the amenities and physical characteristics. Beaches, bike paths to parliament hill. From Bayshore to Tunney's Pasture is about 20 minutes by public transit.
Michael

Grasmere, Canada

#77 Mar 31, 2013
Shmowzow wrote:
Good luck, all!
Maybe it's your attitude and not your dog. I am a white Canadian lived in a garden home at Minto complex and it was great. Most people there were not Muslim or East Indian, but those that were were very friendly to me and my family. Again, it's probably you they are responding to, not your dog.
Moving back home

Alhaurín De La Torre, Spain

#79 May 4, 2013
Hello,

I'm moving back to Canada after 14 years in Europe. I have a young daughter and I would like some recommendations on safe Ottawa neighbourhoods to rent an appartment. I thank you in advance for your help
OMG

Ottawa, Canada

#80 May 13, 2013
I for one like barrhaven and a little futher out northgore, but you can find trouble if you look for it anywere, unless you come with your own bubble, and live in the country then you,ll likely find it even in rockcliffe , as for the somila statement some people are trapped in their own small bubble and will likely rot within their own trappings and lack of insight...
Granito

Scarborough, Canada

#81 May 14, 2013
Hard to beat Manotick. I can't think of anyplace in the area I would rather be.
Wow

Toronto, Canada

#82 Sep 16, 2013
Jane wrote:
Im a white canadian woman. Most of my friends want to leave ottawa who are single. Most of us cant go out at night as we are beautiful looking women. My niece is tall and blonde and gorgeous she has alot of problems in ottawa. I told her to move from heron road its filled with moslems and somali trash and uneducated people. It has the highest gangs and crime in ottawa. Women are not going out at night now. Rideau is very unsafe even in the mall. Nepean is filled with gangs (this used to be the nice country not now!). The only safe area of ottawa is the glebe and I lived there. I believe its because 1)there are educated people 2) there is alot of money so very little crime 3) its white! Its the onl y place I felt safe in ottawa. I have had problems as have my friends on buses with immigrant men making moves on us to the point of sexual harassment......they are not in canadian culture but they should be warned and listen when I woman tells them to back off! There is a number u can call that will send oc transpo security at next stop to have them booted off! The other idea is to move to another seat if u can . Its very unsafe now in ottawa filled with ethnic gangs, smelly foreign people who dont wash and smell like garlic, crazy moslems etc
I find it hilarious that you toss around the "educated/uneducated " binary in this post when some of your remarks make you sound incredibly uneducated.

You say the Glebe is safe because "it's white." You're talking purely about skin colour. If you actually meant to say that people raised in the Canadian culture = safe, then I should remind you that non-whites are born into the Canadian culture as well (I hate to break it to you, but this has been the norm for a long time now).
Minto

Canada

#83 Sep 21, 2013
I know Ottawa very well. Generally, the city is divided into East and West with the East being more French and the West more English. Crime rates are higher in the East part unless you go to Orleans which is at the extreme east end of the city.

Kanata in the extreme west end has the lowest crime rate in the city and good schools. Its a very quiet area and some people will find it boring. If you have to drive into the city for any reason its quite a long drive. However the city has a excellent bus service and you can get to the city very fast because they have expressways just for buses which could get you into the city in about 20 minutes. The bus system throughout the city is designed so that you are not more than a 5 minute walk from a bus stop wherever you live. The city won numerous awards internationally for its public transport system.

Nepean has some good spots like Centrepoint and the area around Andrew Haydon Park which is quite scenic with a marina and a stage for concerts in the summer. Bells Corners is worth looking into for a quiet safe family style. It was a prime area when the city's mammoth high tech industry was active but with that entire industry demolished by bad management and a boot-camp mindset it has lost its vibrancy.

I know the south end has some problems such as South Keys, but I found it more sociable and lively. There is something different about the people there which I appreciated and found lacking in Nepean where I lived. You might say it has more heart which is what the ex-Premier of the province McGuinty said. He should know since he lived there. The city as a whole has a lot more heart than Toronto where I know survive. Its a much more caring and decent place than Toronto.

You have to be prepared for colder weather though. Temperatures can drop to -30 C in winter which is about 7-8 months. There is a lot of snow but the streets are well cleared by the city.

Jane is nuts

South Glens Falls, NY

#84 Sep 27, 2013
Jane wrote:
<quoted text>
Toronto is a nightmare! It used to be nice when it was more canadian. Anywhere with alot of 3rd world people turns to crap.
Jane is from the old south. You throw around being educated so much it sounds funny as heck. I grew up in Canadian culture. I am not white. Yes there are part of Ontario with alot of public housing and immigrants, but please do not paint all immigrants that way. Quebec has the highest rate of welfare...from french whites.
jcanada

Ottawa, Canada

#85 Jun 13, 2014
Most of ottawa is ruined from foreign people who refuse to change and respect the language of canada which is English.
jcanada

Ottawa, Canada

#86 Jun 13, 2014
Im a white wonan and i lived there 5 yrs ago its very dangerous. I heard before all the immigrants moved in it was a nice safe area. If a moslem man approached me and made any sexual comment or look ill kick him and then have him charged with sexual harassment!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ottawa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Adult Nursing Relationships in Ottawa (May '14) 6 hr AnrSeeking 88
News Organ donation in Ontario increased 57 percent ... 14 hr DNR 1
IMPLEMENT UN Declaration on Rights of Indigenou... Sun JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
PAY MIKE DUFFY OFF - Senate ! Sun Mickeys Duff - KHAN 1
LINT BEEZAK loses committee jobs Sep 23 JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 4
NIKKI ASH-CAN to CHURCHILL ! - So Long ! Sep 21 MY MOM is BANNED 2
SENATE - PAY MIKE DUFFY You Jerks ! Sep 20 Lee Dorsey - Song... 1
More from around the web