Best area to live in ottawa?

Posted in the Ottawa Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Nina

Greens Harbour, Canada

#1 Aug 19, 2009
hey readers, i'm a 29 year old dentist from toronto. i am moving to ottawa very soon and would like to know the best areas of the city to live in. by "best area" i mean the those areas with the lowest crime rates and those with mostly upper-middle class people. i have a pretty good idea of the bad areas of the city (bayshore, south keys, vanier, general downtown area, etc). However, i don't really have an opinion on the remaining areas. i know rockcliffe is considered a low crime/affluent area, however i was wondering if you guys could list more? be as thorough as possible ....thanks!

nina
UCantType

Ottawa, Canada

#2 Aug 23, 2009
The best place to live in Ottawa is outside the city of Ottawa. Ottawa is a dump. The only thing Ottawa has going for it, is that is isn't Toronto.
Kanata

Scarborough, Canada

#3 Aug 23, 2009
Kanata is pretty good. It is the west end of Ottawa. You may also want to ask this question here:

http://OttawaHomeBuilders.Net/Forums

-good Luck
UCantType

Ottawa, Canada

#4 Aug 24, 2009
Kanata sucks. One of the worst examples of urban planning I've ever seen. Horrible infrastructure. Ever tried driving around the Kanata Centrum? What kind of idiot designs a mall that you have to drive to the store next door so you don't get run down walking there?

Oh, and the vandalism in Kanata! I won't even go there. Bad people, bad planning.
Somali

Waterloo, Canada

#5 Sep 8, 2009
Where in Ottawa are the most somalis? I am somali and I will only live with my people
Kat

Calgary, Canada

#6 Sep 18, 2009
Like Nina, my boyfriend and I are going to be moving to Ottawa in the near future and are looking for "good" character areas for a professional couple with a young family... Any suggestions?
Truthteller

Ottawa, Canada

#7 Sep 24, 2009
Somali wrote:
Where in Ottawa are the most somalis? I am somali and I will only live with my people
IF you want to make sure you're living with your people, why don't you just head back to Somalia?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
zuhur

Ottawa, Canada

#10 Jan 19, 2010
the place with the most somalis in the west side is richie, ramsy, bayshore, penny.
and in the south side vanir
Barrhaven

Nepean, Canada

#11 May 15, 2010
Most places in ottawa are good. Barrhaven, Kanata, east-end like Chapel Hills, Orleans, and South like Manotick, Riverside South; those areas are family oriented with new houses. Vanier and Bayshore are least desirable areas to live in Ottawa.
Stittsville

Tweed, Canada

#12 May 27, 2010
If you don't want to go to Kanata(it's not that bad really), then consider either the Crystal beach/Grandview area. It's right before Kanata, close to the Nortel and the Nepean Sailing Club. It's right next to the beach. If not, then try Stittsville, which is ahead of Kanata. It's got some pretty sweet new communities that are developping qnd the houses there are pretty big and aren't too expensive. By car, you should get to Downtown in 30 mins from there.
tyson Barker

Jasper, Canada

#13 Jun 5, 2010
Somali wrote:
Hey Jackass why move to Canada then?? How dumb are you? You'll have to live with all kinds of different people anywhere in Canada, so better get used to it. Somalia is full of Somali's if thats what you want, stay there. Otherwise if you're willing to tolerate other races, then your more than welcome here in Canada.
Not Somali

Canada

#14 Jun 13, 2010
The Somali person is obviously someone not Somali trying to piss off you dumb asses. Think about it.

And to you Somali GFY!
Zezo

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#15 Aug 2, 2010
I agree with "Not Somali", it seems he the guy named "Somali" is trying to give bad impressions about Somalis living in Ottawa. I don't know why the Somali wrote such a provocative statement! Canada and its people are very welcoming, decent and civilized. I stayed in Downtown in Byward Market, for me it is the most ideal place to live in as it is very well serviced, you are close to almost everything. The property is well managed, secured and serviced. Good luck.
Qube

Regina, Canada

#16 Aug 21, 2010
In my opinion one of the best places you can be in Ottawa would be westboro, it's close to transit, full of friendly people and has really interesting shops and boutiques. There are many families and young couples here.
Sara

Kuwait

#17 Oct 1, 2010
I would like to move to ottawa. Id like to know which
area is good place for families and kids(good schools).

Since: Oct 10

Canada

#18 Oct 1, 2010
I am out in Orleans and it is really nice here. Just about everything you need is within walking distance or a 5 minute drive.

Lots of NEW houses, schools and businesses. Most importantly the people are friendly here too.

Kanata is OK but toooo far from everyone else.

Cheers!

htpp://www.xxlmarketing.com
puyan

Toronto, Canada

#19 Nov 4, 2010
are the schools English oriented.I dont like french
I need my children attend English schools.
can we get a 3 and half for 700 $-800 $ parking included?
pls advise

Since: Oct 10

Mississauga, Canada

#20 Dec 4, 2010
puyan wrote:
are the schools English oriented.I dont like french
I need my children attend English schools.
can we get a 3 and half for 700 $-800 $ parking included?
pls advise
Um That is a bit low. There might be a FEW areas at that rate but probably not the most desirable.

YOU could do well with about $1000 though. There are man french schools here as it is the Nations capital but LOTS of English as well. I would guess that most schools will have at least 45 mins of French class per day though.

[url=http://www.xxlmarketing.c om/]Affiliate Marketing Tips[/url]
Nanah

Moncton, Canada

#21 Jan 30, 2011
Hello All,
I am moving to Ottawa in two months from here and I read all yours suggestions and wrote them on my bloc notes.
I am single person and I am looking for a bachelor/studio about 500-550$, I don't have a car so I need my place to be near the transit lines. Whiches place is more affordable et secure to live in ottawa? Any suggestion will be very welcome and plz help me choose my place to live in Ottawa.
Thanks
Shopping

Riga, Latvia

#22 Jan 30, 2011
Dont forgot to use best online shopping www.pirkums.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ottawa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRUMP is PUTIN's MUSE ! 17 hr Wierd Al Yanakovi... 1
POOR to Host RevCan Feast in Ottawa ! 18 hr Keeping Up Appear... 1
CIBC worst bank in Canada (Nov '12) Jul 27 No Money Lenders ... 23
General Mills uses Imported Flour ! New York Topix Jul 27 Shoal Lake Ex-Lax... 2
News Canada plunging toward an elevator crisis? a We... Jul 27 Kevin is Leery - ... 2
RAGING FUREY ! Trump - May - Harpo ?! - NOT ! Jul 26 George W Liberace 1
News Ottawa book events from Nov. 14 Jul 25 Beware place like... 1
More from around the web