Warren Barton

Hamilton, Canada

#83 Sep 18, 2012
PHILIP SIMPSON wrote:
I was privileged to work on The Oshawa Times from
1959 - 1963 ( latterly under the aforementioned Warren Barton in the Whitby and Ajax bureaux.)It was a great newspaper which prepared me for a career in journalism for 33 years worldwide. It was a sad day when Thomson closed it down.
Philip Simpson, Fossemagne, France.
Hi Phil..Believe it or not I was thinking of you and Lloyd Robertson etc about three days ago.. Specially wondered what had happened to you..
Love to talk with you..

What is your email address?
Mine is: warrenbarton@cogeco.ca
paula obri

Peterborough, Canada

#84 Oct 7, 2012
Warren Barton wrote:
I was a senior editor at the Oshawa Times back in the 60's . Helped organize a local journalist union. Later went to The Hamilton Spectator and then the Globe and Mail. Have a lot of knowledge of the Times - the people there etc.
Let me know what you want
hello would you know how I can find out about a murder trial in
the Oshawa area that convicted a mr graham, of 2nd degree murder on Jan 18th 1982.
Have searched for years to find out more info on this trial and then just on Friday I saw where he, mr graham had passed away in prison of natural causes. thats a long time he spent in prison for 2nd degree murder. just curious as to what the exact case was. any info greatly appreciated. thanks.
Paula Ob.
mike

Oakville, Canada

#85 Oct 17, 2012
i delivered it as a kid read it as an adult and worked for it for a few years in the advertising department
Fred Hogarth Apsley Ont

Peterborough, Canada

#86 Dec 9, 2012
Yes I lived in Oshawa when I was young and my parents always had the paper come to the door.What I want to know is they used to have a story in there every week called the history of Oshawa I collected them for a long time and they got thrown out when my mother passed away.I want to see if anyone knows where I can get any copies of them please !!!!!!!frebar1@sympatico.ca
kokanee

Duncan, Canada

#88 Jan 21, 2013
Imagine being back in the 60's 70's catching the bus for downtown only to exit the bus leaping ahead to present day Oshawa year 2013. Rather than seeing Hobo Charlie drinkin cheap wine behind the Lancaster hotel you end up seeing some crack head burnin his pipe.
David

Oshawa, Canada

#89 Feb 23, 2013
kokanee wrote:
Imagine being back in the 60's 70's catching the bus for downtown only to exit the bus leaping ahead to present day Oshawa year 2013. Rather than seeing Hobo Charlie drinkin cheap wine behind the Lancaster hotel you end up seeing some crack head burnin his pipe.
Wow , there's a name I have not heard in along time Hobo Charlie. I remember fishing in the Oshawa creek behind the midtown mall . I would always pack a lunch and would always give it to Charlie. Sometimes I would run back home and make some more to give him. I had heard that he froze to death sometime in the early seventies. Poor soul I always wondered if it were true and would like to know what happened to him.
Jo-Anne

Oshawa, Canada

#90 Apr 1, 2013
There was an Oshawa Times. The building used to be on Richmond street just east of Center and the now police station. Mt sister in law worked there.
Ellen

Oshawa, Canada

#91 May 11, 2013
I'm looking for the story of the man from Oshawa that was selling his car and he met a guy at Camp Samac where he took the guys car for a test drive and ended up killing the man. Does anyone remember this? This was quite a long time ago...maybe the 80's?
Fred Hogarth Apsley Ont

Peterborough, Canada

#92 May 12, 2013
Hi Warren this is Fred Hogarth I used to deliever the Oshawa Times when I was a kid to.What I would like to get is the copies of articals called the History of Oshawa they used to have a story once a week and I used to collect them and when my mother passed away they got thrown out somehow,I was wondering if there is anyway to get some copies there were a lot of stories I had a large book with them in and wanted to keep them!!!!! Fred
Mary

Florence, SC

#93 Aug 22, 2013
My brother delivered the Times in a route that included Townline Road. It was the first newspaper I ever read.
Kokanee

Cowichan Bay, Canada

#94 Sep 19, 2013
I delivered the Oshawa Times east of the Olive Street {creek}bridge. At the time the subdivisions at Keewatin were just being built. Used to sell lemonade to the Italian construction workers building the houses.{Potter Construction?} To get to Townline Road from Grandview/Olive you had to walk thru the bush. Thats were we smoked our cigarettes.{at the "teapot"}
Maureen Elder

Oshawa, Canada

#95 Sep 28, 2013
I worked in the accounting department of the Oshawa Times in the Payroll Department, right up till the time that it closed down. After the announcement was made to officially close the doors, myself and two others stayed behind to finalize accounts and distribute furniture, etc. to other papers. We stayed for about 3 or 4 months after the closing. It was a pretty sad time and difficult to participate in the end of such a historical operation. I still recognize many of the names in this thread, and have recently moved back into Oshawa after living in Toronto over the past 13 years.
Rick Bailey

Langley, Canada

#96 Oct 23, 2013
Kerry Gearin wrote:
Hi Warren,
Just back to this site. He kept the New York Times writing book around. Wish I could write so well. My son really has the gift, he's amazing and his talent showed up very young.
Ya, the thing with his (Jack's) ears being burned really hurt his feelings alot. He was young and you know how people focus on pitying people rather than accepting, so this was hard on him. But fortunately people like you & our Mom had compasssion rather than pity and noticed his personality and skills over all, which is a really good example to set.
Nice to meet you.
Hi Kerry!
I do remember your dad. I was an apprentice in the comp room
from 1965-70. I used to go the Argo nfootball games with him.|I'd
pick him up and we would drive up together. Great memories, still
think of him from time to time.... rick
rbtiznow@yahoo.ca
Kerry

Toronto, Canada

#97 Oct 24, 2013
Rick Bailey wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Kerry!
I do remember your dad. I was an apprentice in the comp room
from 1965-70. I used to go the Argo nfootball games with him.|I'd
pick him up and we would drive up together. Great memories, still
think of him from time to time.... rick
rbtiznow@yahoo.ca
Hi Rick,
That's nice to hear. He showed us a good example with taking us to lots of different events, sports, music, dance, theatre..3540. We've probably met. Short, squeaky, blond ringlets?
warren barton

Hamilton, Canada

#98 Oct 25, 2013
Kerry wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Rick,
That's nice to hear. He showed us a good example with taking us to lots of different events, sports, music, dance, theatre..3540. We've probably met. Short, squeaky, blond ringlets?
Hi Kerry: It's Warren Barton again..worked with your Dad in the newsroom for a number of years.

What did he die of and when?

Many thanks and best regards
Kerry

Toronto, Canada

#99 Oct 27, 2013
Hi Warren,

Thoughtful of you to ask. He died of a heart attack 1980, while out for his morning walk to downtown.
Kerry

Toronto, Canada

#100 Oct 27, 2013
And best regards to you too Warren.
[send button hit too soon :)]

Kerry
warren barton

Hamilton, Canada

#101 Oct 28, 2013
Kerry wrote:
Hi Warren,
Thoughtful of you to ask. He died of a heart attack 1980, while out for his morning walk to downtown.
Hi Kerry:

Did he ever keep a diary or logbook or clipping book of his columns etc of his life at The Times?

thanks Warren
Kerry

Toronto, Canada

#102 Oct 28, 2013
Why Thanks for asking Warren. Have not found a diary. Probably being discreet. However I do have a big, tall box of many clippings & some letters between friends and from appreciative people. Perhaps you know of how he would often take on someone's cause and advocate through his writing for issues big and small. Interesting reading. Motivating. Energizing.
Kokanee

Cowichan Bay, Canada

#103 Dec 18, 2013
Hi Kerry
I remember your dad. I,m quite sure it was him. I was 11-12 yrs. old. He gave me a pencil on day on the bus, which he rode often. Grandiew/Olive.
He was quiet. I found him interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oshawa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Halton courts stretched beyond limits judges, l... Mon who gets all the ... 1
Halton courts stretched beyond limits, judges, ... Jan 23 former Crown says 1
Moon shot reveals strange lit up, elongated object Jan 5 brisco lamar 2
chip truck that drove around Oshawa (Mar '07) Jan 3 bizzarobrian 34
GM could pull back from Ontario, auto analyst says Dec '14 sometimesomeday 2
Long road back for Ontario economy Dec '14 how it will go 1
New Canadian basketball league welcomes 7 teams (Jun '11) Dec '14 John 2
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:04 am PST