Sobeys warehouse workers on strike

Sobeys warehouse workers on strike

There are 225 comments on the Mississauga story from Feb 12, 2013, titled Sobeys warehouse workers on strike. In it, Mississauga reports that:

About 400 Sobeys warehouse workers in Milton are on strike after rejecting a nine-year contract proposal offered by the grocery chain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mississauga.

Titiies

Toronto, Canada

#42 Mar 4, 2013
The boys from stelerton should take out the boys to the titty bar and negotiate
UnionGuy

Schomberg, Canada

#43 Mar 4, 2013
So what's the latest scope? Any talking or just more walking?
thetruth

Kitchener, Canada

#44 Mar 5, 2013
we are not working in good faith because there was a 99% pre-strike vote so the company felt thats what we wanted if the contract offer was not ratified and prepared for that cause the product is perishable. only the freezer items remain in milton where all the tls are picking those orders, lol. its nice to see some of those arrogant tls on nights have to select in the freezer, now they know how tough it is and how the standards were not reasonable ! this "terrible" situation is not gonna change unless we hold another vote on the same contract offer (9yrs) and it gets ratified. but as of now, the union group doesnt want to have a revote cause they know the workers need their jobs again and will probably vote yes, so it will be a defeat. i dont care if the contract is 9yrs but i would like some of those tls to continue "slugging" too. but if you want your job again, people better start asking for a revote.
Titiies

Toronto, Canada

#45 Mar 5, 2013
Just wonderin if there is a revote can the cantract be printed on tiolet paper this time it will make me feel better when i sign it
Union guy

Schomberg, Canada

#46 Mar 5, 2013
senority rules wrote:
Yah take the 9 years.. i see some are starting to crumble.the way i look at it is that sobeys is getting there way...stuff still going to the stores!!this strike will be ending soon.
"the way I see it " "the way I look at it" who are you? Someone that works somewhere else. Who cares what u think?
distro guy

Kanata, Canada

#47 Mar 5, 2013
robots are taking our effing jobs. thats the problem. where do you think the dist flow is headed... . im applying in town at roxul and other agencies that might be able to help. not sitting around is the key.
Just another worker

Ajax, Canada

#48 Mar 5, 2013
I don't really even understand why they bother keeping Milton open at all, it seems to me that whitby and vaughn are handling the capacity quite well if they were to hire another 100 people in whitby and force day shift to actually pick they could work a full 3 shifts without the getting off early every other day and allow everyone to work their full 5 days. As much as I hate too see jobs go down it's actually helping out the people at whitby allowing us to actually work our proper hours with overtime and your pickiters are slowly being discouraged by the lack of talk between the union and sobeys you can see it on their faces every day. Also isn't milton plant actually a leased building? I know sobeys actually owns whitby and the land around it which gives them alot of land to expand so maybe they just figure they will let you strike away with no intention of actually coming to agreements so they can get rid of paying the lease and expand whitby..... who knows what will happen but I don't really see anything happening soon.
Union guy

Schomberg, Canada

#49 Mar 5, 2013
Just another worker wrote:
I don't really even understand why they bother keeping Milton open at all, it seems to me that whitby and vaughn are handling the capacity quite well if they were to hire another 100 people in whitby and force day shift to actually pick they could work a full 3 shifts without the getting off early every other day and allow everyone to work their full 5 days. As much as I hate too see jobs go down it's actually helping out the people at whitby allowing us to actually work our proper hours with overtime and your pickiters are slowly being discouraged by the lack of talk between the union and sobeys you can see it on their faces every day. Also isn't milton plant actually a leased building? I know sobeys actually owns whitby and the land around it which gives them alot of land to expand so maybe they just figure they will let you strike away with no intention of actually coming to agreements so they can get rid of paying the lease and expand whitby..... who knows what will happen but I don't really see anything happening soon.
They seemed to need milton up til now. What makes u think things will slow down? Taking on "Target" to supply? Record sales? You seem to have really thought that comment thu. Lol. Can robots handle perishable items? Not. Is shipping from Whitby to all the stores really efficient?Not.
Union guy

Schomberg, Canada

#50 Mar 6, 2013
Just another worker wrote:
I don't really even understand why they bother keeping Milton open at all, it seems to me that whitby and vaughn are handling the capacity quite well if they were to hire another 100 people in whitby and force day shift to actually pick they could work a full 3 shifts without the getting off early every other day and allow everyone to work their full 5 days. As much as I hate too see jobs go down it's actually helping out the people at whitby allowing us to actually
work our proper hours with overtime and your pickiters are slowly being discouraged by the lack of talk between the union and sobeys you can see it on their faces every day. Also isn't milton plant actually a leased building? I know sobeys actually owns whitby and the land around it which gives them alot of land to expand so maybe they just figure they will let you strike away with no intention of actually coming to agreements so they can get rid of paying the lease and expand whitby..... who knows what will happen but I don't really see anything happening soon.
Lol " Force day shift to actually work " lol. Good luck.
dave blair

Waterloo, Canada

#51 Mar 6, 2013
How u like me know
BROKE

Canada

#52 Mar 6, 2013
dave blair wrote:
How u like me know
like u, i love u. you have done a stand up job running this location. Also you're a very caring and compassionate person, who is not a sociopath at all, and should get a big fat raise.
dave blair

Waterloo, Canada

#53 Mar 6, 2013
Its so nice here in milton lately very quiet without u guys. If anybody needs a number for a food bank contact me directly. I also have a list of employment agencies in the area if anybody is intrested
aoo

Waterloo, Canada

#54 Mar 6, 2013
I'm hurtin gona lose my place. What do I do
thetruth

Kitchener, Canada

#55 Mar 6, 2013
dave blair wrote:
How u like me know
imposter... but funny ! hows life for those tls who thought they are so much better than the workers; and you know who "they" are cause their job's have been sheltered by "you". their heads are not so swelled anymore picking in the freezer at -27, lol.
dave blair

Waterloo, Canada

#56 Mar 6, 2013
thetruth wrote:
<quoted text>
imposter... but funny ! hows life for those tls who thought they are so much better than the workers; and you know who "they" are cause their job's have been sheltered by "you". their heads are not so swelled anymore picking in the freezer at -27, lol.
the tls are getin their money deposited into their accounts ur last deposit was for 0.00. Are u still laughin truth
Union guy

Schomberg, Canada

#57 Mar 6, 2013
dave blair wrote:
<quoted text> the tls are getin their money deposited into their accounts ur last deposit was for 0.00. Are u still laughin truth
It's ok Dave - we still have money from the stat holidays you force us to work. What's that cost again ?$750 000 extra in OT a year. Way to teach those employees who filed a grievance a lesson. Lol. See u when it's over. Careful it's cold in there.
Parttimer

Toronto, Canada

#58 Mar 6, 2013
I hope its true about the tls working in the freezer. That would be amazing, deyll finally get to see how its like to wrk like slaves i. The freezer nd not being able to feel ur toes. Along with ridiculous standards that can ony be achieved if u work like a machine nd not take one second to breath.
The truth is the warehouse is built on false delays. 90 percent of the employees cannot reech 100percent. We line up with our bogus delays after breaks to keep our standards at par to keep oyr job. Tge funny part is while we sre waitin in line for our delays to be approved were loosing more time on our orders since we cnt put a delay in for dat causing even more false delays to makeupfor it. Its hilarious how flawed there so called acurate nd perfect system is.
They think since they pay us pt pll above wat everone else pays we can b slaves nd work like machines nd b taken advantage of jus to b let go right before probation period is up if ur not above 95.
lesson learned

Waterloo, Canada

#59 Mar 6, 2013
I will never work hard for sobeys when I get back and I will never trust the union. I've been with the company for a long time and can't believe. We got it like these. Standin outside in front of stores handin out flyers is what I do know
UnionGuy

Schomberg, Canada

#60 Mar 6, 2013
lesson learned wrote:
I will never work hard for sobeys when I get back and I will never trust the union. I've been with the company for a long time and can't believe. We got it like these. Standin outside in front of stores handin out flyers is what I do know
Yep - your just a number buddy. You could work hard your whole life for this company and your still just a number. What did they give out for Christmas last year to the workers? Im sure the office peeps got bonuses. Ah - they deserve it.
Dave blair

Toronto, Canada

#61 Mar 6, 2013
Yep take a number buddy go slug and wait in line no more phoney delays when u guys come back. Next chrismast im serving u swiss chalet's dumpster

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ontario Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Drop a puck, become a Canuck -- new citizens to... 7 hr Arian 2
News Advisory issued as fog covers Toronto and the GTA 8 hr Kevin 1
News John Sommer juried art show begins today; award... (Apr '10) 9 hr Arts Crowd eh 3
News Curtain raised on Georgetown District High Scho... 14 hr after-school program 1
News Knights of Columbus golf tourney tees up for CAShh (Sep '15) Fri North Halton cash... 2
News Conservative leadership candidates square off a... Fri doomedtrump 3
News Georgetown Armenian Orphans Farmhouse Will Beco... (Jul '10) Fri past mayor slept ... 3
More from around the web