Sobeys warehouse workers on strike

Sobeys warehouse workers on strike

There are 225 comments on the Mississauga story from Feb 12, 2013, titled Sobeys warehouse workers on strike. In it, Mississauga reports that:

About 400 Sobeys warehouse workers in Milton are on strike after rejecting a nine-year contract proposal offered by the grocery chain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mississauga.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
UnionGuy

Schomberg, Canada

#1 Feb 15, 2013
I've worked in a union for 20 years and the longest contract I ever had was 4 years. Why does Sobeys want 9 years ? Makes no sense for a union member to sign that contract unless it was a very attractive deal.
UnionMan

Welland, Canada

#2 Feb 15, 2013
With a 9 yr deal, Sobey's eliminates the possibility of another legal strike/lockout within that time frame. The way the language was written, imo they were most likely attempting to pull a ruse on some factors. When the bargaining unit employees realize they are getting ripped off they would have no chance at changing anything for that time period. It's a good thing their committee explained the language to them properly & advised against accepting that contract.

The bargaining unit employees were also picketing at the Sobey's Whitby facility. The goods were moved out of the Milton facility prior to the lock out. Now the UFCW has instructed its members that if they continue to picket at that facility that they would no longer be supported. They were very organized, polite & did not cause any domestic trouble so I do not think it was legal for the UFCW to do that. Imo something very crooked is going on as those members can not put pressure on Sobey's which is the point of a strike. The B.U.E.'s need to legally oust that union & join ie. Teamsters either during a legal open period or contacting another party for a union raid.

They have now sent out letters stating that their benefits are null & void during lock out. Those people are feeling how it is to pace all day long for peanuts and others have to pay for necessary meds out of empty pockets. With 78% of a negative vote, the company is attempting to put pressure to snag another 30% approx. votes in favor to end the strike.

Stick to your guns, someone go for proper legal advice regarding picketing at other facilities from the same company. They need to get this in writing, copy and hand it out to their B.U.E. brothers/sisters & then continue their picket at the Whitby warehouse adhering to the law without listening to their UFCW council who is instructing them with incorrect directions.

Imo heed my advise & good luck to you guys.
UnionGuy

Schomberg, Canada

#3 Feb 15, 2013
Sobeys doesn't care one bit about its hourly employees. The employees are the enemy ( unless you kiss butt then u get "special" treatment). In the last couple years sobeys eliminated all stat holidays for all employees at the RRS ( 480 people)- because 5 guys filed a grievance( they weren't able to work OT on long weekends because of the shift they worked) and got a couple hundo each. So the big boss flexed his tiny arm and signed forms eliminating all stats for all employees. What a nice boss. Now he pays $750 000 in extra OT a year because 5 guys wanted $500 - and he was upset he lost. Lol. Politics.
Value Champ

Pickering, Canada

#4 Feb 15, 2013
This is the same company that disciplines its employees upon returning to work from the hospital. Anything from minor surgery to cancer treatments enter employees into the absenteeism program. The vast majority of the 450 employees never support the stores by shopping there because of the blatant disrespect. In my opinion thats bad buisness.
Anonymous

Richmond Hill, Canada

#5 Feb 16, 2013
Lets have a bit of a history lesson here. The original Sobeys warehouse was in Mississauga and the workers were represented by the Teamsters. The Teamsters kept the Companys feet to the fire. Sobeys didnt like that and had the 2 warehouse built...Milton and Whitby. Sobeys gave the Milton Warehouse to the UFCW because eveybody knows, the UFCW loves employers. The Union in Whitby was initially the Longshore men out of Florida( some hack Union that Sobeys picked also), then when the workers realized how ineffective this hack union was changed to the CAW.
Also remember that the UFCW Pension is only 40% funded so they are trying to get any entity to pay into it. It was only a few years ago that UFCW leaders were charged with mismanaging the UFCW Pension Plan. One might wonder how the UFCW claims to be the biggest..well they negotiate huge scope language in their CBA's and in return give sweetheart contracts..No Frills is a perfect example. Those workers make minimum wage and pay Union dues< and to decertify and join a real Union would mean decertifing the province typically...so they are force to years of low pay and stuck with the UFCW forever.
Now the Sobeys Milton employees are quite strong and willing to fight, but make no mistake, the UFCW knows the picketers will wear down and the longggg contract will start to look good. I cant believe that the UFCW leadership would stop them from picketing at Whitby...oh of course..its hurting Sobeys!!

Since: Feb 13

Welland, Canada

#6 Feb 16, 2013
For all insider updates regarding this subject please refer to this url: http://askusaquestion.net/index.php/topic,363...
thetruth

Kitchener, Canada

#7 Feb 20, 2013
it's true, this is just one big mess ! first of all, there wasn't any job satisfation there because the company didn't have people in supervisory job's that were capable and often employee's were not treated well; especially from a couple of the nightshift supervisor's ! these supervisor's didn't have proper schooling and while the top manager's were not on site they would be harassing to employee's that they felt they could pick on more because they were under pressure to pick boxe's at an unsafe & inhuman labour standard. it's no wonder the employee's voting this contract down even though they would obviously want to continue having a job and be able to pay their bill's. the work enviromnent was toxic because of a couple of poor manager's on the floor who didn't follow the policy's with equality. they would openly stress certain employee's and not other's who were more of their buddies or just fearful of other's because certain employees used drugs and they didnt want to challenge them out of fear. overall this strike was avoidable because they BU employees and the company had worked in good faith before when contracts were being renegotiated but the ego's at the head of the ufcw union who joined the workers group to negotiate & the ego's at the head of the company negotiation team were more concerned with fighting each other than reaching a mutual solution. in order to resolve this the ufcw need's to ease up because what they aren't telling you is the company on the last day did offer a 3YR contract in hope's of avoid this situation but the union rep's told the company to F-off ! if they can start talking again and get back on that page then this can conclude. also, the people up high in stellerton need to come into the warehouse and clean out all the deadwood of supervisor's that poisen the work environment. if they did that they would find the labour standard's would improve and the morale and attendance would benefit as well ! small change's like this will have a big effect on the milton warehouse going forward. if someone from nova scotia see's this post and want's to provide a phone number, go ahead and post it and i will provide the name's of those supervisor's that have allowed improper conduct to occur and who should lose their job's so that your operation's can restart with great success !
UnionGuy

Schomberg, Canada

#8 Feb 21, 2013
UnionMan wrote:
With a 9 yr deal, Sobey's eliminates the possibility of another legal strike/lockout within that time frame. The way the language was written, imo they were most likely attempting to pull a ruse on some factors. When the bargaining unit employees realize they are getting ripped off they would have no chance at changing anything for that time period. It's a good thing their committee explained the language to them properly & advised against accepting that contract.
The bargaining unit employees were also picketing at the Sobey's Whitby facility. The goods were moved out of the Milton facility prior to the lock out. Now the UFCW has instructed its members that if they continue to picket at that facility that they would no longer be supported. They were very organized, polite & did not cause any domestic trouble so I do not think it was legal for the UFCW to do that. Imo something very crooked is going on as those members can not put pressure on Sobey's which is the point of a strike. The B.U.E.'s need to legally oust that union & join ie. Teamsters either during a legal open period or contacting another party for a union raid.
They have now sent out letters stating that their benefits are null & void during lock out. Those people are feeling how it is to pace all day long for peanuts and others have to pay for necessary meds out of empty pockets. With 78% of a negative vote, the company is attempting to put pressure to snag another 30% approx. votes in favor to end the strike.
Stick to your guns, someone go for proper legal advice regarding picketing at other facilities from the same company. They need to get this in writing, copy and hand it out to their B.U.E. brothers/sisters & then continue their picket at the Whitby warehouse adhering to the law without listening to their UFCW council who is instructing them with incorrect directions.
Imo heed my advise & good luck to you guys.
Just to let you know -the picketers at Whitby received "papers" to appear in court - that's why the picketing was stopped for a few days at the Whitby location. It's back on.
senority rules

Whitby, Canada

#9 Feb 21, 2013
UFCW was told in january that one of these warehouses could be closing!!! whitby or milton.as tey are told the employer gives them a contract with wage increases and even though its 9 years you go on strike.sobeys will not give into the UFCW.there are more part timers in whitby and better relations between union and company...if you signed a 9 year deal or a 3 year deal u could be closing regardless and the way i see it ,,,it will be milton that closes...
UnionGuy

Schomberg, Canada

#10 Feb 22, 2013
senority rules wrote:
UFCW was told in january that one of these warehouses could be closing!!! whitby or milton.as tey are told the employer gives them a contract with wage increases and even though its 9 years you go on strike.sobeys will not give into the UFCW.there are more part timers in whitby and better relations between union and company...if you signed a 9 year deal or a 3 year deal u could be closing regardless and the way i see it ,,,it will be milton that closes...
Lol- the way you see it ! Good luck with your "relations" with Sobeys. Of course the company is going to say whatever they can to try to make a contract go threw ( like "one of these two plants will be closing soon ! You guys wanna sign a deal ?" -DUH )As you can see they treat the employees like gold buddy ...GOLD. Please ...close Milton. I guess Whitby would have signed the 9 year contract cause you all get along soooo good and it's such a fair deal.

Wake up "Senority rules" and what's your actual point?
thetruth

Kitchener, Canada

#11 Feb 22, 2013
go ahead and close milton, at least the workers will get their severences instead of the pathetic strikepay from the ufcw who collected major amounts of uniondues over the years and fails to return an reasonable amount to the workers they told to vote down the contract. plus, those couple of pathetic "teamleaders" will lose their "status" and get tossed back out into the workforce without their "immunity" from following policies of equality & saftey in the workplace. sobeys & ufcw better start talking if they have any dignity for people !
Union guy

Schomberg, Canada

#12 Feb 22, 2013
thetruth wrote:
go ahead and close milton, at least the workers will get their severences instead of the pathetic strikepay from the ufcw who collected major amounts of uniondues over the years and fails to return an reasonable amount to the workers they told to vote down the contract. plus, those couple of pathetic "teamleaders" will lose their "status" and get tossed back out into the workforce without their "immunity" from following policies of equality & saftey in the workplace. sobeys & ufcw better start talking if they have any dignity for people !
Thank you "thetruth". Record profits for Sobeys (and the executive's I would be willing to bet) but the people making the products move can't get a fair deal. 10 years from now they would be making $25/hr ? Lost pension money , increased cost for benifits , inflation on top of that and its a pretty crappy deal. A little closer to the going rate and benifits for the same type of unionized job in the industry would be fair. Think the "Boss Man" made some nice $ in bonuses this year but none for the workers. Sounds fair ? Not saying they need bonuses every year - but a little cheese would be nice. Sobeys has a HUGE block O cheese.
jay

Cambridge, Canada

#13 Feb 24, 2013
BTW, it was a 9 year deal, so 8 years from now (not 10)the wage would be 27.31, not 25$
Therealtruth

Toronto, Canada

#14 Feb 24, 2013
jay wrote:
BTW, it was a 9 year deal, so 8 years from now (not 10)the wage would be 27.31, not 25$
From what I hear a bunch of other Sobey's/UfCW warehouses will be making that kind of money 2015/2016, which Milton will be making 2021 (yes that's 2021). That's 5-6 years behind the industry that does the same job with the same company. The cost of living is the highest in the country down here, so explain why these guys should be treated like that? Better yet email this to Sobey's head office and see if they can explain, would love to hear from them. I for one will NEVER shop at their stores again.
Union guy

Schomberg, Canada

#15 Feb 24, 2013
jay wrote:
Way to look at the positive "jay" What about the lost pension money , lost money to increased benifits , lost money to part timers working 40 hours instead of full timers getting overtime, increased cost of living and the fact that Sobeys policies towards hourly employees is horid? Any view on those issues ? Or are you just here to do improper math ? What is the math on a 9 year deal ? I've never heard of any contract that long-Unless your a All Star athlete straight from college.
Therealtruth

Toronto, Canada

#16 Feb 24, 2013
Jay- unionguy is correct, once you include the pension and benefits they put into our wages just to take back it's very close to the $25 buck mark.
thetruth

Kitchener, Canada

#17 Feb 24, 2013
everyone keeps crying about this 9yr deal but as i said before, the company on the last day tried to offer a 3yr deal or even give us the whitby-contract but the ufcw-heads said NO on our behalf, retarded ! so, a shorter contract is possible if these idiots on both sides of the negotiantions start working off that contract length. instead, they want to continue ignoring the fact that all the employees make $4/hr strikepay or nothing cause they cant get EI. i hope the public becomes aware of this lack of respect towards the workers who are suffering unnecessarily and adjusts their grocery shopping. also, dont forget the company paid senior employees last contract alot of money to change their benefits so you can stop crying about it. and why not have more p/t workers, they can slug more often so employees that have been there for a decade dont have to do as much labour anymore, no one wants to consider that. more eager p/t's will help morale by sharing the work and allowing seniority to improve !
UnionGuy

Schomberg, Canada

#18 Feb 24, 2013
thetruth wrote:
everyone keeps crying about this 9yr deal but as i said before, the company on the last day tried to offer a 3yr deal or even give us the whitby-contract but the ufcw-heads said NO on our behalf, retarded ! so, a shorter contract is possible if these idiots on both sides of the negotiantions start working off that contract length. instead, they want to continue ignoring the fact that all the employees make $4/hr strikepay or nothing cause they cant get EI. i hope the public becomes aware of this lack of respect towards the workers who are suffering unnecessarily and adjusts their grocery shopping. also, dont forget the company paid senior employees last contract alot of money to change their benefits so you can stop crying about it. and why not have more p/t workers, they can slug more often so employees that have been there for a decade dont have to do as much labour anymore, no one wants to consider that. more eager p/t's will help morale by sharing the work and allowing seniority to improve !
Ain't that the truth -but i think hiring more full timers would do the same for seniority. Also the benefits are far from great or above average for the price and number of people in the group policy. Crap really.
mr confused

Waterloo, Canada

#19 Mar 2, 2013
Can somebody tell me, why we are at home starving and behind on bills. We worked in good faith before and everytin worked out ,why this time around did we take such drastic measures. This strike is bad for both sides, but ifeel more for the workers, sobeys business is still goin strong while we at home makin no money. Is there a way to end this before us the workers lose everytin
milton distrubtion worker

Waterloo, Canada

#20 Mar 2, 2013
Does anybody now where things stand as of today. Is there any progress in resolving this terrible situation

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ontario Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Welcome to the Garden of Eden (Jun '11) 7 hr affordable eh 5
News Neighbourhood meeting Nov. 20 for proposed 1450... 7 hr She not Joan 1
News Regional councillor elected to FCM vice-preside... (Jun '13) 7 hr what did Clarke get 6
News Councillor who blasts 'endless spending' at cit... 7 hr pretty closed clu... 1
News Liberals look to make housing more affordable f... 11 hr goin backwards eh 1
News War plaque finds a home (Nov '12) 11 hr goin backwards eh 24
News 3 arrested following Oakville and Burlington ba... 11 hr no crime eh 1
More from around the web