Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics ...

Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

There are 4642 comments on the The Canadian Press story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre. In it, The Canadian Press reports that:

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Canadian Press.

Unknown

Toronto, Canada

#4456 Feb 11, 2013
The money is good. I mean by the next 3 years we are almost getting as much as other dcs. By our next contract we should be about the same. There are still a lot of other things that come have been dealt with a lot better
Details

Canada

#4457 Feb 11, 2013
So no language improvements or anything just a raise? What about mandated overtime and 40 hour work week guarentee?
Unknown

Toronto, Canada

#4458 Feb 11, 2013
Mandated ot is a little better. Only the week before and after a holiday and during December. Also a max of 2hrs now per day. Hopefully we can get rid of it by our next contract
Unknown

Toronto, Canada

#4459 Feb 11, 2013
40 hour work week guarantee is not in there and that is a big thing I wanted and I am sure many other people too. Supposedly we get sent home before people that our training if the company runs low on work.

I am sure there is a lot of language that could have been dealt with a lot better.
WTF

Courtice, Canada

#4460 Feb 11, 2013
Why are so many people whining about being forced home. I have been here five years and seen it happen once. Is it because it may happen you are so whiny about it?
Sobeys strike

North Bay, Canada

#4461 Feb 11, 2013
Details

Canada

#4462 Feb 11, 2013
So you threatened to strike and all you improved was your wage and your still not on par with Sobeys or Loblaws Corporate? So essentially if you walked out you would have lost because to only gain a small raise and no other improvements you will never get that loss back. Man I sure hope Sobeys Milton ends stronger with their strike action.
Wefuked

Oshawa, Canada

#4463 Feb 12, 2013
WTF wrote:
Why are so many people whining about being forced home. I have been here five years and seen it happen once. Is it because it may happen you are so whiny about it?
It's because these morons think that a vto means you have to leave. Clearly ppl don't understand that the v sands for voluntary. I've never been forced home either.
These rusually the same ppl whining they don't have money and shit. Stop signing the sheet
aspectman

Toronto, Canada

#4464 Feb 13, 2013
so no one has the balls to say what you got and what the company got from you. guessing it is not that great or you would be singing and dancing here
LoL

Canada

#4465 Feb 13, 2013
Were is The Big Green Hero and all his wisdom?
LoL

Canada

#4466 Feb 15, 2013
Did they fry all your brains at the vote or something?
aspectman

Ajax, Canada

#4467 Feb 15, 2013
LoL wrote:
Did they fry all your brains at the vote or something?
my guess is too sick from eating all the stolen bannannas that were stock piled for the strike.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

#4468 Feb 16, 2013
LoL wrote:
Wisdom usually comes from experience. It is a by-product of knowing who you are and where you stand in a situation or circumstance! Wisdom was sadly replaced by fear and uncertainty in our last ratification vote! Because of that, we lost an opportunity that will not be afforded us until our next round of negotiations in 2016. Our contract has improvements in language that were missed in our first contract but these corrections were always understood to be the destined for the next round of talks.
The big issue in 2009 was money.$14.00 an hour wasn’t cutting it for anyone. A $0.25 shift premium after 6pm was a joke. After 1 year of service, we were only looking at $15.00 per hr. We made huge gains in those areas. 1 year service was moved to $16.50 (an additional $1.50 per hr over what they were offering) Shift premiums were moved to $0.40 afternoons and $0.50 midnights and were paid on every hour worked. By the end of that contract, we were guaranteed $19.00 per hr!
The speed at which our union was ratified and our first contract was negotiated was unheard of as well! First Group Hire, through Union Certification and on to a signed Collective Bargaining Agreement in 1 year! Each article of it was new language for a new workplace. It included a $5.00 gain over 3 years, Paid Sick Days, Personal Day, Etc! At that time there was no Flow, no Freezer, no Freezer Cross Dock, no Cargill, etc. Shipping was an Atlas job and receiving was an Americus job! In other words, we gave nothing up in out first contract. It was all gain! Not so much in this contract though! Our bargaining team met with the company! Between them, they negotiated this contract! We exercised our democratic right to vote on what they had negotiated, more people voted Yes than No and we now own our 2nd contract for the next 3 years! That is the simple wisdom of where we stand and where we go from here!

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4469 Feb 16, 2013
LoL wrote:
Now regardless of your views of unions, whether you are pro or anti union, it was done democratically! That is the one thing I am proudest of helping to bring into our workplace and because of that, I will accept this contract for what it is!
Is it a perfect contract? Absolutely Not! I’m not sure there is such a thing in labour negotiations, but it is a step forward! We have tighter language and that is a good thing!
Where we missed the mark was in wages! Our National representative touted this deal as being a 16+% increase over its term and this membership just ate it up!
If this contract had been 0.0% for 35 months and in the final month we received a 16.05% increase, it would still be a 16.05% gain in the life of this contract! Nothing was said about how splitting the increases into 6 segments cost this membership $2750.00
I take nothing away from our negotiating team or our national rep as they were under pressure to get us something on paper and ultimately it was up to “You and I” to either accept or reject it. Fear ruled the day and we now have a second contract. I was happy to see our junior members move more rapidly up the pay scale and I applaud them for their foresight on that issue! We lost the Auditor positions! Big Mistake! The company is now free to source these duties out to a 3rd party and no doubt this will happen! It will result in discipline for this membership over and above current levels and there are no provisions to allow a re-audit of any suspect pallet or order that I have read in this contract!
In other words we can’t “Audit the Auditors!” Selectors as well as Auditors are human! Anyone can make mistake. Without provisions allowing a recount of a suspect order, the member could be unjustly sanctioned.
Moving to an “Hours Worked” agenda for probationary employees is just wrong for this warehouse! If a junior member is injured on the job, their seniority stops dead. If they V.T.O or are forced out after 4 hours, they lose! This should never have been allowed! The provisions of how wage upgrades are paid out in APPENDIX “A” Bullet 5 of our last contract, and continuing through this contract still allows the company to wait up to 6 days following the identified dates of the contract! This should be “The 1st day following the anniversary date of an event!” No 3rd week of vacation until Jan 1 of the 6th year, No weekend shifts, No increases to Shift Premiums which are still set at an undervalued $0.40 and $0.50 There were no amendments to Article 13.03 to include an Employer Penalty when the company goes past the 24hr/$50.00 pay correction period! It happens far too often to be ignored and it should be 2 hrs at rate for every 24 hour period the company does not cut a cheque for deficient funds! With no teeth in this article, it will continue to be a problem without recourse for this membership in the future!
So tell me. How’s that for Big Green Wisdom?

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4470 Feb 16, 2013
aspectman wrote:
<quoted text>
my guess is too sick from eating all the stolen bannannas that were stock piled for the strike.
Derp de Derp
LoL

Canada

#4471 Feb 16, 2013
Are you telling me if somebody gets hurt their seniority stops? This is illegal my friend.
LoL

Canada

#4472 Feb 16, 2013
What a about the foundation of any good collective agreement a guarenteed full-time job of 40hours for the term? This is one of the issues Sobeys is striking for and Loblaws Maplegrove refuses to ratifie without it and gets it every time.

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4473 Feb 16, 2013
LoL wrote:
Are you telling me if somebody gets hurt their seniority stops? This is illegal my friend.
Sorry for the typo I meant "off" the job

“Humanity Above All”

Not Toronto Canada

#4474 Feb 16, 2013
Right on brother
LoL

Canada

#4475 Feb 17, 2013
The employement standards act is pretty clear that a probationary period is 90 days. By your CBA allowing a probationary period to be put in place based on hours worked is also illegal. No CBA can be worse than any law, the CBA can only be equal or better than the law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ontario Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'We need to rebuild:' Residential school report... 25 min chugs are POS 2
News a Million in Salaries 2 Acton via Lotto 2010 el... (Sep '10) 1 hr Pass It ONtario P... 19
News Halton cops lay two impaired charges 2 hr not worth the drive 1
News Plunging gas prices slow January inflation to 1... 10 hr kane 2
News Councillor, MP differ on Town's stimulus share (Nov '09) 10 hr bob 19
News Vote on bullying a black eye for MP (Dec '12) 11 hr Chong reforms may... 6
News MP thanked for quick action (Mar '12) 11 hr Chong reforms may... 3
More from around the web