Loblaw in talks with Atlas Logistics to run Ajax, Ont., distribution centre

Sep 12, 2007 | Posted by: The Canadian Press | Full story: The Canadian Press

(CP) - Loblaw Cos. Ltd. (TSX:L), racked by supply-chain woes, has disclosed it is "at an advanced stage in its discussions" with third-party logistics provider Atlas Logistics Retail Services LLC on operating a big distribution centre in Ajax, east of Toronto.

Loblaw said Monday that Atlas Logistics - a division of the former Atlas Cold Storage, taken over last year by Eimskip Holdings of Iceland - would run the 870,000-square-foot dry and perishable food distribution centre starting next spring. Read more

Comments
3,961 - 3,980 of 4,545 Comments Last updated Sunday Jul 27
Just A Guy

Ajax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

I feel sorry for all the Americus workers that are going to be forced to quit over the next few months when Americus gets let go.I am sure that the ones that stay will make fine selectors.
Employee

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Just A Guy wrote:
I feel sorry for all the Americus workers that are going to be forced to quit over the next few months when Americus gets let go.I am sure that the ones that stay will make fine selectors.
You should feel sorry for LIM employees, who will be bumped out of their positions by higher seniority Americus employees. There are several Americus employees who have been here since 2008.
Just A Guy

Ajax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

The way I understand it is they would have to be rehired by LIM and start at the bottom of the pay scale and seniority list and even redo there 3 month probation period as new LIM employees.

This is what Big Tom told me anyway
atx

Oshawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Having just received a memorandum with my pay stub, I was amazed at the audacity of our newest master’s view that they can once again change a previously negotiated, tested and practiced benefit at will...Your rights are being ebbed away one memorandum at a time without any
benefit of your input.

...Job posting process – Ignored in a calculated self serving manor!
Paid Sick Days – In Jeopardy!
Trust - Non Existent!

Wow, I'd like to say that I'm not surprised but I've seen this all before - unfortunately it has to get a lot worse before it gets any better. I am pessimistic for the chance of any major benefit gained at the next renegotiation. The way it's going, it'll be a few years down the road until anything promising comes to fruition.

Like I mentioned before, the new masters are doing what they do best - same nonsense just different tactics.
Employee

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Just A Guy wrote:
The way I understand it is they would have to be rehired by LIM and start at the bottom of the pay scale and seniority list and even redo there 3 month probation period as new LIM employees.
This is what Big Tom told me anyway
Sorry but you were misinformed this is not what would happen. Why would Americus Employee be rehired by LIM, Atlas employees were not rehired by LIM, they all kept their seniorty and dates of hire.
You need to ask again about this process if and when it even happens. This is only a rumour that has been floating aroung for the last few months.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 25, 2012

Employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but you were misinformed this is not what would happen. Why would Americus Employee be rehired by LIM, Atlas employees were not rehired by LIM, they all kept their seniorty and dates of hire.
You need to ask again about this process if and when it even happens. This is only a rumour that has been floating aroung for the last few months.
Actually it is you that has it all wrong. I am curious as to how you have formed your opinion on this issue because you are dead wrong in your conclusions. IF, and that is a huge IF Americus is booted like Atlas and IF Loblaw (LIM)wanted to keep the traned workforce in the plant it would have to bring them in as new employees. they might be able to keep there years of service but their seniority would begin at the bottom of the lowest seniority unionized LIM employee. there is a third option which is to keep the two units separate and just transfer the contract to the new management team (which does not seem far from the game plans of history for Loblaw)
Employee

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Big Green Yes wrote:
<quoted text>Actually it is you that has it all wrong. I am curious as to how you have formed your opinion on this issue because you are dead wrong in your conclusions. IF, and that is a huge IF Americus is booted like Atlas and IF Loblaw (LIM)wanted to keep the traned workforce in the plant it would have to bring them in as new employees. they might be able to keep there years of service but their seniority would begin at the bottom of the lowest seniority unionized LIM employee. there is a third option which is to keep the two units separate and just transfer the contract to the new management team (which does not seem far from the game plans of history for Loblaw)
Perhaps I misunderstood the previous issue, I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion about this LIM/Americus take over issue. I retract my previous statement.
Employee 2

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

Judged:

Employee wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps I misunderstood the previous issue, I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion about this LIM/Americus take over issue. I retract my previous statement.
Now retract your tip from Big Greens arse.
aspectman

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2012

They can do what ever they want green.

They will spin the facts to suit their wants

You should know this from what has happened there so far
G2 Selector

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Listening to a meeting in the cafeteria right now for Americus... As of January 1, 2013 they are LiM employees. Details unknown at this time.
G1 Selector

Ajax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

I guess that means Americus management gets absorbed into LIM as well? Kinda hard to asorbe fatty Park into anything. They should give him some walking papers. I would hate to have to work for him again.
just a number

Ajax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

americus will not have to be rehired as LIM employees. senority will be kept seperate or will be merged by hire dates
Annon

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

It would be completely unfair if Americus employees lost their seniority ! It's not their fault Americus is a joke!!
Just a number

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Annon wrote:
It would be completely unfair if Americus employees lost their seniority ! It's not their fault Americus is a joke!!
ANNON...

Atlas was a joke..Americus is the longest serving company in there..plus we had to deal with atlas' shit
gong show

Oshawa, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Americus employees will be forced to the bottom of the LIM seniority list. Good luck to all you americus lazy slow, out of shape, fat.employees, when you have to become a selector and be on standards.
G2 Selector

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

Judged:

gong show wrote:
Americus employees will be forced to the bottom of the LIM seniority list. Good luck to all you americus lazy slow, out of shape, fat.employees, when you have to become a selector and be on standards.
Good luck to them indeed, many of them have been working here quite awhile, longer than you or I probably, but do you really need to insult others just to make yourself feel like an Internet tough guy? When we both know that someone like you would jump at the "lazy" off the system work they do. Don't insult those your jealous of bro.
rto

Ajax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2012

I will take G1 Zamboni Monday to Friday
Employee

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

G2 Selector wrote:
Listening to a meeting in the cafeteria right now for Americus... As of January 1, 2013 they are LiM employees. Details unknown at this time.
Why were you listening to the announcement for Americus employees.
It has nothing to do with you.
Employee

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

gong show wrote:
Think again!!!!!!!!! You have no idea what is going on.

“Humanity Above All”

Since: Feb 09

Not Toronto Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2012

just a number wrote:
americus will not have to be rehired as LIM employees. senority will be kept seperate or will be merged by hire dates
Sorry Brother but that is incorrect.
Their hire date will give them "Years of Service" only.
Their seniority at LIM will start just under the lowest seniority full time LIM employee when the deal is done.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ontario Discussions

Search the Ontario Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What's on this week 3 hr Trafalgar road 35 acres 2
Blazing meteor falls east of Toronto (Dec '11) 3 hr community news source 93
Canadian witnesses report multiple fast moving ... 3 hr your stories here 1
A rental property for retirement income: Is it ... 4 hr your stories here 1
Owen Sound farmer fights the law against sellin... (Dec '06) 4 hr Search 2
Enjoy music, art to celebrate 100 years of Algo... 4 hr Searchmont 1
Carol presses for return of ACR cash 4 hr Searchmont 1
•••
•••