Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61250 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Anon

Enfield, CT

#60217 Jun 30, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>glassmire's a sexually active priest violating his celibacy. We care.
wonder if he has crabs
Anon

North Tonawanda, NY

#60219 Jul 1, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Check it out before you toss his salad.
Let us know.
glassmire probably has A whole bunch of STDs including the big one.
msgrbadski

Greenwich, CT

#60220 Jul 1, 2014
Rather than the sexual activities of the DOB priests, I would be more concerned about the forthcoming closure of more parishes.
I wonder

Buffalo, NY

#60221 Jul 1, 2014
Mary of Magdela wrote:
Final figures are in and the DOB Catholic Charities Appeal has surpassed it's goal and raised a bit over 11 million dollars.
I wonder what Malone will do with his five million of it? I think I'm going to make friends with him. Maybe I can get the royal treatment as one of his guests?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#60222 Jul 2, 2014
I wonder wrote:
<quoted text> I wonder what Malone will do with his five million of it? I think I'm going to make friends with him. Maybe I can get the royal treatment as one of his guests?
Precisely the reason I wouldn't give Cath.Char. a penny!
Car 54 where are you

Buffalo, NY

#60223 Jul 2, 2014
Where is Ivan in all of this. Why is he so quiet?
Mary of Magdela

Tonawanda, NY

#60224 Jul 3, 2014
St. Teresa's is having garage sale. They are selling things from the school. Broke? or Preparing to re-use?
Anon

West Falls, NY

#60225 Jul 3, 2014
I wonder wrote:
<quoted text> Well, I wonder if people will refrain from giving significantly after the current school closings? Parishes rely heavily on parents service hours and generational loyalties. Although Catholics are taught to turn the other cheek. Something tells me Malone figured that would happen, so he's good. Time will only tell....
There is a new species of catholic. It's called a sheeple. They are happy to give money and be treated like fools.
I wonder

Buffalo, NY

#60226 Jul 3, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a new species of catholic. It's called a sheeple. They are happy to give money and be treated like fools.
You got that right! Anon. Look at Catholic Charities. If all the money that was donated to them went to the right places it's a great cause, but for the first five million to go to the Bishop.......HELLO!
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#60227 Jul 4, 2014
I wonder wrote:
<quoted text> You got that right! Anon. Look at Catholic Charities. If all the money that was donated to them went to the right places it's a great cause, but for the first five million to go to the Bishop.......HELLO!
Here is the WNY Catholic's sole reference to the infamous Bishop's Fund: "Bishop Richard J. Malone will announce the theme and goal of the 89th annual appeal to support Catholic Charities’ services provided throughout Western New York and the Bishop’s Fund for the Faith on Tuesday, Jan. 8, at 10 a.m., at the Monsignor Carr Institute, 20 Rich St., Buffalo."
No where in the rest of the article does it explain what the fund is used for.
Mary of Magdela

Tonawanda, NY

#60228 Jul 4, 2014
Dunkirk Connection wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is the WNY Catholic's sole reference to the infamous Bishop's Fund: "Bishop Richard J. Malone will announce the theme and goal of the 89th annual appeal to support Catholic Charities’ services provided throughout Western New York and the Bishop’s Fund for the Faith on Tuesday, Jan. 8, at 10 a.m., at the Monsignor Carr Institute, 20 Rich St., Buffalo."
No where in the rest of the article does it explain what the fund is used for.
I was a bit surprised at your comment. Anyone who knows anything about parishes, etc.(and I think you do) knows perfectly well that the clergy is never really accountable about money. I used to read those old yearly account statuses with amusement. They were always fudged.
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#60229 Jul 4, 2014
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a bit surprised at your comment. Anyone who knows anything about parishes, etc.(and I think you do) knows perfectly well that the clergy is never really accountable about money. I used to read those old yearly account statuses with amusement. They were always fudged.
I am well aware there is no accountability on the parish level. Especially when it comes to hefty bequests and cemetery funds. Where does all that bequest money go? To the diocesan investment fund? I bet these pastors are only too happy to lay that fat check at the feet of their emperor. And you're right - the yearly financial statement is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
Anonymous

Washington, DC

#60230 Jul 4, 2014
<quoted text>
I am well aware there is no accountability on the parish level. Especially when it comes to hefty bequests and cemetery funds. Where does all that bequest money go? To the diocesan investment fund? I bet these pastors are only too happy to lay that fat check at the feet of their emperor. And you're right - the yearly financial statement is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
What happens when members of the parish finance committee and trustees report to the diocese financial "irregularities" and then resign because they do not want to have anything to do with cooked books?
msgrbadski

Greenwich, CT

#60231 Jul 4, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
"New species of Catholic"? that is the way things have always been. People are only begining to wake up now and start to ask questions about where their money is going/
Mary of Magdela

Tonawanda, NY

#60232 Jul 4, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
What happens when members of the parish finance committee and trustees report to the diocese financial "irregularities" and then resign because they do not want to have anything to do with cooked books?
I am a bit surprised that anyone would be allowed on that committee who may cite irregularities. Usually, they are close, personal and easily manipulated friends' of the pastor. Although, I have heard of people that resigned instead of going along with things that were against their conscience.
msgrbadski

Greenwich, CT

#60233 Jul 4, 2014
Did Catholic Charities really "reach" its goals. or did they dip into general funds again? Almost everyone I know refused to give this year, or at least reduced their contribution, largely due to the closing of schools. Parishioners in mayn of the communities, where schools have been closed, have been among the most generous, when it comes to church causes.
Mary of Magdela

Tonawanda, NY

#60234 Jul 5, 2014
msgrbadski wrote:
Did Catholic Charities really "reach" its goals. or did they dip into general funds again? Almost everyone I know refused to give this year, or at least reduced their contribution, largely due to the closing of schools. Parishioners in mayn of the communities, where schools have been closed, have been among the most generous, when it comes to church causes.
"Have been" is the key phrase to your comment in terms of generosity. They have not been generous in years. If they had been, their schools would be open. The younger people do not consider contributing important. They want it for free. In terms of Catholic Charities, there is much more outreach to businesses, etc much like the United Way. I personally thought they dropped the ball when they stopped going door to door. Staring at some old pillar of your parish was worth at least a $20.
Anonymous

Washington, DC

#60235 Jul 5, 2014
<quoted text>
A Polish Monsignor, a canon and chief financial officer of the Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome, is being investigated by the Vatican criminal court for $ 2.5 million unaccounted for. Papa Francesco would like to hear his confession. The basilica owns thousands of apartments and many other properties in Rome.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#60237 Jul 5, 2014
Word on the Street is that something big is going down at St. Casimir????
msgrbadski

Greenwich, CT

#60238 Jul 5, 2014
Was Weldgen ever investigated for his management of financial affairs at St. Christooher's?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Aug 4 billion dollar claim 6
Thinking of moving to Newfoundland - help and a... (Jan '07) Jul 28 Very-Tired 86
News Youth arrested on assault and weapons charges i... Jul 26 Pearl 1
News Anti-government activist fired for criticizing ... Jul 25 NFLD 1
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
JUSTIN TRUDEAU ! Already a World Statesman ! (Nov '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
News Moose beating remains a mystery (Aug '09) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
More from around the web