Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Full Story
Anonymous

United States

#59743 Apr 24, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
<quoted text> Reports from John jay indicate that about 3% of those accused lacked credibility. I think the accusers are more interested in getting their problems recognized,than getting money.
There is no legal definition of “credible accusation” which often is taken to mean “Somebody said something.”. According to the John Jay Report, during the period from 1950 to 2002, only 6% of the 4,392 priests against whom allegations were made (252 priests in total) were convicted. Of the accusations that were investigated (due to the accused being still being alive), 93% were reported; of those reports, 37% were charged and of those 66% were convicted, making a total of 23% of the still alive being convicted... So the rest (77%) should not be considered guilty by suspicion.
faction

Lancaster, NY

#59744 Apr 24, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no legal definition of “credible accusation” which often is taken to mean “Somebody said something.”. According to the John Jay Report, during the period from 1950 to 2002, only 6% of the 4,392 priests against whom allegations were made (252 priests in total) were convicted. Of the accusations that were investigated (due to the accused being still being alive), 93% were reported; of those reports, 37% were charged and of those 66% were convicted, making a total of 23% of the still alive being convicted... So the rest (77%) should not be considered guilty by suspicion.
Regardless, the percentage of abusers in this group far exceeds the percentage from the general population.
Anonymous

United States

#59745 Apr 24, 2014
faction wrote:
<quoted text>Regardless, the percentage of abusers in this group far exceeds the percentage from the general population.
Really? Where you get your statistics from?
Most abuses of minors happen within the family or extended family.
And what is happening with the NYC school district and the LosAngeles public schools?
Not to mention the 16,000 sexual abuses in the US military reported every year...(sorry, they don't count because they are... adults... and the Army judges its own, even when the crimes are committed in other countries and against their citizens)
Anonymous

United States

#59746 Apr 24, 2014
Public school abuse v. clerical abuse. Get your calculator and read:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1258961-P...
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#59747 Apr 24, 2014
Whatever happened to seminarians James Sweeney and Dennis Sparks?
faction

Lancaster, NY

#59748 Apr 24, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
Public school abuse v. clerical abuse. Get your calculator and read:
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1258961-P...
Keep drinking your catholic Kool Aid.With you it's all smoke and mirrors just like a carnival Carney.Dream on. The truth hurts but nonetheless it's the truth.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#59749 Apr 25, 2014
faction wrote:
<quoted text>Regardless, the percentage of abusers in this group far exceeds the percentage from the general population.
And what percentile is gay?
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#59750 Apr 25, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone needs to move into smaller huts.
Let's start with Hyppos like you. When are you moving to the east or west side of Buffalo?
You could be much closer to the poor.
Celebrate

Buffalo, NY

#59751 Apr 25, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never had any first hand knowledge of that place or the neighborhood. On Dyngus Day, I sent in a young spy to check it out.(He was going anyway!) First the Church is very large and in very bad condition. The neighborhood would not be safe any other day. The floor of the library where the festivities were held was very rickety. The food was good and the booze was better. Some of the people serving the food were rude when asked about the contents of certain dishes. By no stretch of the imagination did my young spy find any signs of religion which was fine with him.
The only way to know what is going on is to be there yourself. You should know better than to believe a " spy " The Church was open on Monday for those who were interested and had very good attendance during the Easter Triduum when it was important. The church is defintely NOT in bad condition. Go see for yourself. He is either blind, envious or lying.
The fact that you are concentrating on Corpus Christi calls for me to be suspicious of your motives. Was that the only Church that had a celebration? And yes people do live and work in the neighborhood everyday. Some of them are considered " poor " in material goods but rich in spirit and generous with their time and talent in order to volunteer in a poor area instead of going there once a year like your friend, to gawk and look down on everybody. You have the right name for the area, so start a mission there.
Priests

Buffalo, NY

#59752 Apr 25, 2014
BeeEss wrote:
<quoted text>
You know they're guilty otherwise there would be lawsuits left and right for false accusation. Just because they're not convicted doesn't mean they're not guilty. DB especially knows this!
What ever happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?
Hello

Buffalo, NY

#59753 Apr 25, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
Hello, anyone home? No one in power cares. I am sorry to break it to you, however, the idea that the "faithful" have anything to say about this is false.
www.wgrz.com/.../education/...schools-closing... ;
Top of the morning to you too! Aren't you one and the same who wrote not too long ago that the faithful are responsible for not taking care of their churches? You are wrong when you say the faithful have nothing to say. We have a lot to say and the shepherds at every level should have listened to us and should listen now and should listen in the future if they wish to have any sheep to look after and that includes the pope. Otherwise those television evangelists will do just fine. I 'm all for Ecumanism
Anonymous

United States

#59754 Apr 25, 2014
BeeEss wrote:
<quoted text>
You know they're guilty otherwise there would be lawsuits left and right for false accusation. Just because they're not convicted doesn't mean they're not guilty. DB especially knows this!
You know they are guilty, not I. Usually who asks for a settlement is the alleged victim’s lawyer who sues the diocese, not the priest, because that’s where the money is. The insurance companies tell the diocese what to do and what to say and not to say. They know that a trial would be long, expensive, causing bad publicity and with uncertain result. They are also the ones which have to pay the lawyers. A settlement usually includes a no liability clause for the accused as well for the accuser preventing prosecution for defamation.
Mike

Buffalo, NY

#59755 Apr 25, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no legal definition of “credible accusation” which often is taken to mean “Somebody said something.”. According to the John Jay Report, during the period from 1950 to 2002, only 6% of the 4,392 priests against whom allegations were made (252 priests in total) were convicted. Of the accusations that were investigated (due to the accused being still being alive), 93% were reported; of those reports, 37% were charged and of those 66% were convicted, making a total of 23% of the still alive being convicted... So the rest (77%) should not be considered guilty by suspicion.
Do the stats include girls who were abused or women raped by priests? These perps were not gay.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#59756 Apr 25, 2014
wood would have been allowed to celebrate Mass in oublic , if he hadn't been so open and honest about the accusations against him. the chancery was furious over the fact that he admitted his guilt. Bob should be complimented on his honesty.
faction

Lancaster, NY

#59757 Apr 25, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You know they are guilty, not I. Usually who asks for a settlement is the alleged victim’s lawyer who sues the diocese, not the priest, because that’s where the money is. The insurance companies tell the diocese what to do and what to say and not to say. They know that a trial would be long, expensive, causing bad publicity and with uncertain result. They are also the ones which have to pay the lawyers. A settlement usually includes a no liability clause for the accused as well for the accuser preventing prosecution for defamation.
The catholic church is at it's weakest state in the last hundred years. Church closings, school closings, greed and deviant clerical behaviour are amongst the many causes.When you can't police your own your end is near.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#59758 Apr 26, 2014
Celebrate wrote:
<quoted text>
The only way to know what is going on is to be there yourself. You should know better than to believe a " spy " The Church was open on Monday for those who were interested and had very good attendance during the Easter Triduum when it was important. The church is defintely NOT in bad condition. Go see for yourself. He is either blind, envious or lying.
The fact that you are concentrating on Corpus Christi calls for me to be suspicious of your motives. Was that the only Church that had a celebration? And yes people do live and work in the neighborhood everyday. Some of them are considered " poor " in material goods but rich in spirit and generous with their time and talent in order to volunteer in a poor area instead of going there once a year like your friend, to gawk and look down on everybody. You have the right name for the area, so start a mission there.
t
First, this had to be one of the most paranoid posts I have ever read. Second, my "spy" and his friends were already going. You people invite the kids down there so you can make a small fortune on all the booze they consume. What do you do with that money? Lastly, I am not sure that the Bloods and the Crips want or need a mission. LOL!
Saints

Niagara Falls, NY

#59759 Apr 27, 2014
Pope John XXIII and Pope John Paul II
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#59760 Apr 27, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>t
First, this had to be one of the most paranoid posts I have ever read. Second, my "spy" and his friends were already going. You people invite the kids down there so you can make a small fortune on all the booze they consume. What do you do with that money? Lastly, I am not sure that the Bloods and the Crips want or need a mission. LOL!
I felt exactly the same when I read that post about CC
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#59761 Apr 27, 2014
Saints wrote:
Pope John XXIII and Pope John Paul II
What a shame this had to be a dual canonization. And the first in the history of the Catholic Church yet. This sure stole some of JPII's thunder. It's been reported that only half as many pilgrims turned out this time as did for Saint John Paul II's beatification. Was putting on two separate canonizations really asking that much? I wonder whose bright idea it was to combine them. Wrong decision, in my opinion.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#59762 Apr 27, 2014
Watching EWTN this morning. They talked about Gammarelli, the tailor in Rome. All I could think of was Gammarelli, the blogger from the early days of this blog! LOL!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where can you find a good prostitute in St. Joh... (Dec '06) Thu tallblonde1982 71
Slain soldiers Cirillo and Vincent named Canada... Dec 22 Pete 1
Slain soldiers Canada's Newsmaker of the Year Dec 21 MPP Chiarelli a c... 1
Saint John hold special council meeting to solv... Dec 15 John 1
Community Calendar, Dec. 14-31 Dec 14 behind many scenes 1
Her Christian journey Dec 3 RevKen 1
Bike that crossed Canada stolen outside Toronto... Nov '14 eBay is PayPal 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:26 pm PST