Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 60959 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#59629 Apr 11, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I am wondering how many lay people have the courage (and honesty) to speak up and go on record against the plans of their bishop. Not many bishops would ignore a strong opinion against them. In fact, for major decisions, canon law requires consultation and, in some cases, also approval by the College of Consultors, Priests’ Council and parishioners.
Been there, done that.
Anno

Buffalo, NY

#59630 Apr 12, 2014
What can I make of the missing money from Corpus Christi Church?
Who took it? When was it taken? How much was taken?
Summer Cabins

Niagara Falls, NY

#59631 Apr 12, 2014
Lamb of God wrote:
<quoted text>
This is pure truth, since Boy Toy brags to anyone who will listen about his "Divine" sexcapades.
You must be kidding!
Summer Cabins

Niagara Falls, NY

#59632 Apr 12, 2014
Niagara Falls Canon Balls wrote:
Balls said the Queen, if I had two I'd be King.
I hope you do have two ball,. otherwise you would be partially impotent.
Money

Niagara Falls, NY

#59633 Apr 12, 2014
Anno wrote:
What can I make of the missing money from Corpus Christi Church?
Who took it? When was it taken? How much was taken?
Who is taking money from the church?
Hell Bound

Buffalo, NY

#59634 Apr 12, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Let Gerry rest in peace.
Do you really think he's resting in peace? More likely BURNING IN HELL. something most of you priests and bishops should be worrying about
anon

Buffalo, NY

#59635 Apr 12, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
And IF the priests did sell their summer huts and give to the schools, just how long do you think that would last?
Then what, after the money gets used up?
Get real!
You could say the same thing about giving to the poor. Once they use up the money then what?
Anonymous

United States

#59636 Apr 12, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I happen to have my very own handy dandy copy of canon law. I have scanned the chapters and see nothing in it about schools. Would you mind giving me the Chapter?
There no mention of “Catholic schools”, but there is plenty on Christian education, administration and accountability, mission of the laity, etc. and end of episcopal feudalism.
Anonymous

United States

#59637 Apr 12, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you MAY be sincere. I am done with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb and their sidekick. OK, did you read the article? 10 schools with 1,000 children. The Math is not good. There was a time when their were 35 kids per class and each grade had 2 or three classes. That ship sailed YEARS ago. By 2005 they were down to one class each with 20kids. That was in the "big" schools. You can not viably keep a school open with Pre-K-8 plus specials with 100 kids.
After the 10 schools close in June, what is the future of Catholic education for those students? Are parishes and parents prepared with a viable alternative?
Will there be an adequate (same?) investment of finances and personnel for CCD, home schooling, on-line programs, etc.?
Full of baloney Maloney

Buffalo, NY

#59638 Apr 12, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
After the 10 schools close in June, what is the future of Catholic education for those students? Are parishes and parents prepared with a viable alternative?
Will there be an adequate (same?) investment of finances and personnel for CCD, home schooling, on-line programs, etc.?
Sounds to me like Malone wants to see the end of Catholic education in this diocese.
Granted, many of these schools would eventually close in three, four or five years, but why euthanize them before their time. Some of the problems were:
First, Malone was insinuating a Catholic school should have around 400 children, putting the bar up so high for a Catholic school to be considered "viable". This is Buffalo, not Boston, for God's sake.
Secondly, he closed schools that are in some of the most stable areas of the diocese, which makes no sense. These are areas where it is particularly attractive to buy a home and raise a family. These are areas composed of people who have the financial means to send a child to a Catholic school because they can pay the tuition.
Thirdly, he didn't consult the pastors prior to closing them - which is mind-boggling. In the past, the pastor would approach the bishop and let the bishop be aware that the school is dwindling and draining the parish financially and therefore the parish cannot sustain the school. The bishop would have his Office of Catholic Education and Finance Office gather all the data and then in a few months announce the closure of a particular school due to declining enrollment, lack of funding, etc. This was clearly not the case for many of these schools. Then Malone wonders why the priests are disagreeing with him?
I am convinced that either Malone doesn't know the diocese or he was simply given bad advice - the later of which is the opinion of many priests I talked with. Much to my horror it seems that Malone simply wants to see the demise of the Catholic School System as his legacy of spiritual leadership in the Diocese of Buffalo. I must say that I don't every remember such an outcry from pastors and parishioners in the face of school closures ever before in the history of this diocese. If Malone had any kind of humility, he would see this as a sign - not of disobedience - but of spiritual health. When people roll over and don't care by saying nothing; that's when he should be concerned - a sign of apathy. But when they cry and protest and hunger for what the Catholic Church has the ability to give, why turn them away? Isn't this what Evangelization is all about? What could be better when people are wiling to send their children to be educated in the institutions if the Catholic Church?
Niagara Falls Canon Balls

Lancaster, NY

#59640 Apr 12, 2014
Does the bishop play the bag pipes?
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#59641 Apr 12, 2014
Hey, guys, any word on Art Smith?
anon

Eden, NY

#59642 Apr 13, 2014
I am surprised that a two million dollar donation to the DOB is deemed Not Enough.
anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#59643 Apr 13, 2014
anon wrote:
I am surprised that a two million dollar donation to the DOB is deemed Not Enough.
Who is/was the donor?
anon

Eden, NY

#59644 Apr 13, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Who is/was the donor?
The female victim of all of the abuse is/was the donor. But the amount was insufficient. Too bad.
anon

Eden, NY

#59645 Apr 13, 2014
The really bad part of it is, it SEEMS she won't get ANY of her damages unless she agrees to SEVERAL million more. And THEY hold the money till she agrees. It sounds like blackmail or coercion at the least, to me.
Really

Buffalo, NY

#59646 Apr 13, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I am wondering how many lay people have the courage (and honesty) to speak up and go on record against the plans of their bishop. Not many bishops would ignore a strong opinion against them. In fact, for major decisions, canon law requires consultation and, in some cases, also approval by the College of Consultors, Priests’ Council and parishioners.

And what does consultation mean when parishes are forced to merge against their will ?What does consultation mean when they want to demolish your church and deny you the opportunity to repair it? What does consultation mean when a pastor starts selling church artifacts for his private collection or to pay for his gambling debts? What does consultation mean when a pastor is bullied into submission and is afraid to stand with his parishioners. What does consultation mean when your people are afraid of speaking out for fear of reprisal? If anyone of you are familiar with any of these situations please inform your Bishop. He will be full of compassion and understanding.
anon

Buffalo, NY

#59647 Apr 13, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
And what does consultation mean when parishes are forced to merge against their will ?What does consultation mean when they want to demolish your church and deny you the opportunity to repair it? What does consultation mean when a pastor starts selling church artifacts for his private collection or to pay for his gambling debts? What does consultation mean when a pastor is bullied into submission and is afraid to stand with his parishioners. What does consultation mean when your people are afraid of speaking out for fear of reprisal? If anyone of you are familiar with any of these situations please inform your Bishop. He will be full of compassion and understanding.
It means shut your hole and realize you have no authorty in the Church....now shut up and stop whinning.
anon

Buffalo, NY

#59648 Apr 13, 2014
Full of baloney Maloney wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like Malone wants to see the end of Catholic education in this diocese.
Granted, many of these schools would eventually close in three, four or five years, but why euthanize them before their time. Some of the problems were:
First, Malone was insinuating a Catholic school should have around 400 children, putting the bar up so high for a Catholic school to be considered "viable". This is Buffalo, not Boston, for God's sake.
Secondly, he closed schools that are in some of the most stable areas of the diocese, which makes no sense. These are areas where it is particularly attractive to buy a home and raise a family. These are areas composed of people who have the financial means to send a child to a Catholic school because they can pay the tuition.
Thirdly, he didn't consult the pastors prior to closing them - which is mind-boggling. In the past, the pastor would approach the bishop and let the bishop be aware that the school is dwindling and draining the parish financially and therefore the parish cannot sustain the school. The bishop would have his Office of Catholic Education and Finance Office gather all the data and then in a few months announce the closure of a particular school due to declining enrollment, lack of funding, etc. This was clearly not the case for many of these schools. Then Malone wonders why the priests are disagreeing with him?
I am convinced that either Malone doesn't know the diocese or he was simply given bad advice - the later of which is the opinion of many priests I talked with. Much to my horror it seems that Malone simply wants to see the demise of the Catholic School System as his legacy of spiritual leadership in the Diocese of Buffalo. I must say that I don't every remember such an outcry from pastors and parishioners in the face of school closures ever before in the history of this diocese. If Malone had any kind of humility, he would see this as a sign - not of disobedience - but of spiritual health. When people roll over and don't care by saying nothing; that's when he should be concerned - a sign of apathy. But when they cry and protest and hunger for what the Catholic Church has the ability to give, why turn them away? Isn't this what Evangelization is all about? What could be better when people are wiling to send their children to be educated in the institutions if the Catholic Church?
Kmiec closed 100 or so parishes, so I don't think Malone is losing sleep over closing 10 schools. Let the kids go to public school and learn to mingle with people of color.
Anonymous

United States

#59649 Apr 13, 2014
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Kmiec closed 100 or so parishes, so I don't think Malone is losing sleep over closing 10 schools. Let the kids go to public school and learn to mingle with people of color.
They are already mingling to buy and sell drugs and fool around in other meaningful ways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Letter: Most-used libraries among those slated ... May 22 wabush-mines-clos... 1
News Ryan Snoddon: May 24th weekend is looking prett... May 22 Mother Nature 1
News Grant Tapper: charged with sexually assaulting ... (Aug '08) May 19 Sinja 65
News Trudeau government to kick off new pipeline rev... May 17 CBC GEY NEWS at 11 1
News Food for Life distributes to eight Halton Hills... (Sep '15) May 10 sad 2
News Atlantic Canadians watching Fort McMurray wildf... May 4 was it Jooish lig... 1
Thinking of moving to Newfoundland - help and a... (Jan '07) Apr '16 John Bilsbury 82
More from around the web