Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62441 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Population Decrease

Niagara Falls, NY

#59003 Mar 18, 2014
Math Major wrote:
Hey, the population has been shrinking for many years in WNY.
So of course eventually that has to mean there'll be closed schools, closed hospitals, and yes even closed churches.
Yes, it will happen very soon! Already, ten local Catholic schools will close their doors in June.
Population Decrease

Niagara Falls, NY

#59004 Mar 18, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Assumption in black Rock loosing a Sunday Mass also?????
And,You are right Pan and Pani G are Phonies and trouble makers wherever they go.
I think all Ex-Polish parishes are experiencing a decline in attendance.
Population decrease is causing many things to take place in the diocese.
Population Decrease

Niagara Falls, NY

#59005 Mar 18, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right. About the state of that Church and the Hate and dislike for fellow humans that exists at that Church.
They are their own worst enemies.
Population shift from one area to another is the cause of many difficulties in our cities across the country which is affecting the church itself regarding the number of people attending the services.
Population Decrease

Niagara Falls, NY

#59006 Mar 18, 2014
Black Madonna wrote:
<quoted text>
They can visit Our Lady of Czestochowa in Buffalo and it will be a lot cheaper. Then they can give all the money they save to the poor. I wonder how many of the people between the ages of 16 - 39 even know what Czestochowa means.
Good proposal! Our Lady of Victory would be another place to visit here locally.
Population Decrease

Niagara Falls, NY

#59007 Mar 18, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
They can also visit churches that were demolished and completely rebuilt after the war. In fact whole cities were rebuilt after the war. Maybe they can come back and rebuild Buffalo 's faith AND mortar.
Really?
ANONYMOUS

Buffalo, NY

#59008 Mar 18, 2014
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right. About the state of that Church and the Hate and dislike for fellow humans that exists at that Church.
They are their own worst enemies.
Unless you are one and the same how would you know so much about them? Most of our parishes are " older" including the clergy. That means angrier and meaner people because the part that works the most and the best is the mouth. That's why we need the church to evangelize continuously.
Shrines

Buffalo, NY

#59009 Mar 18, 2014
Population Decrease wrote:
<quoted text>Good proposal! Our Lady of Victory would be another place to visit here locally.
They can also visit Our Lady of Fatima near you, And Holy Trinity, And St. Ann's instead of going to Montreal and taking their money to Canada. The Bishops probably have never been inside St. Ann's. They don't have to be afraid of the towers falling on them because they are still standing even after this terrible windy winter. A little encouragement from the higher archy could mean a lot to these places. Just like a papal visit to Warsaw.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#59010 Mar 18, 2014
ANONYMOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you are one and the same how would you know so much about them? Most of our parishes are " older" including the clergy. That means angrier and meaner people because the part that works the most and the best is the mouth. That's why we need the church to evangelize continuously.
I know because I sit in that Church (CC) and observe the gossip, hate, and back stabbing that goes on there. I pray for their eyes to be opened to the love of God, but I can only wait.
I honestly most there do not even like themselves.
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#59011 Mar 18, 2014
No death notice for Dick Massar??? One Northeastern Archdiocese has just published guidelines for the funerals of credibly accused abuser priests. No announcement, The burial must take in a parish where the accused priest has never served. They are to be buried in vestments, with the usual honors accorded to priests At first sight, it would appear that Massar's funeral, wherever it takes place, falls within the guidelines. Is this part of a broader national policy among Catholic bishops? Massar an abuser? I am no saying that at all, What I am saying is that this is more fallout rom the DOB's refusal to enter an open and honest discussion on the identities of the abusers. Who is to blame? Mansell and Cunningham. I will pray fro Richard's soul, I remember his exemplary service along with that of Speilman and Wood. Around 65 or so abusers in the DOB and only 15 have been identified,largely through sources outside the diocesan administration. Can anyone clear up this mystery?
Godsays mansays

Lancaster, NY

#59012 Mar 18, 2014
Macri wrote:
<quoted text>Fuel is expensive, and many more church buildings should be closed soon!
You are all nuts on this forum.No wonder the catholic church is imploding.
Mike

Buffalo, NY

#59013 Mar 18, 2014
Is there a list of the 65 accused? This would a great help to victims seeking other victims for validation.331
DaVinci

Buffalo, NY

#59014 Mar 18, 2014
Under Malone the Church will implode
DaVinci

Buffalo, NY

#59015 Mar 18, 2014
His ego is unlike any other. Except Cardinal Law.
Massar Mystery

Pascoag, RI

#59016 Mar 18, 2014
Massar was permitted to function and has concelebrated Masses publicly. Maybe it was hos wish for something simple.
Lavender Lover

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#59017 Mar 18, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
Bishop Malone and the Diocese are leading a Pilgrimage for those ages 16-39 in July 2016 to World Youth Day in Krakow, Poland. This 12-day life-changing journey of faith will include worshipping with the Holy Father and millions of youth/young adults from around the world, as well as trips to Auschwitz, Czestochowa (home of the Black Madonna), Divine Mercy Sanctuary, and Zakopane, plus pre/post pilgrimage experiences at home.
There is a great gay bar in central Krakow across the street from a walled convent. If Father Leon Biernat accompanies the bishop he will have a place to go and let loose.
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#59018 Mar 18, 2014
Mike wrote:
Is there a list of the 65 accused? This would a great help to victims seeking other victims for validation.331
The only list is what appears on bishopaccountability. There are about 15 names that some people where able to get from Court documents. The diocese admits that here are closer to 65 or so names, but will not divulge them. This has led to rumors about Msgrs Whitney and Berg, and now Massar. some one should set the record straight/(Whitney and Berg were "retired" at the same time as Wood and a few others. who were removed for abuse.)
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#59019 Mar 18, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
No death notice for Dick Massar??? One Northeastern Archdiocese has just published guidelines for the funerals of credibly accused abuser priests. No announcement, The burial must take in a parish where the accused priest has never served. They are to be buried in vestments, with the usual honors accorded to priests At first sight, it would appear that Massar's funeral, wherever it takes place, falls within the guidelines. Is this part of a broader national policy among Catholic bishops? Massar an abuser? I am no saying that at all, What I am saying is that this is more fallout rom the DOB's refusal to enter an open and honest discussion on the identities of the abusers. Who is to blame? Mansell and Cunningham. I will pray fro Richard's soul, I remember his exemplary service along with that of Speilman and Wood. Around 65 or so abusers in the DOB and only 15 have been identified,largely through sources outside the diocesan administration. Can anyone clear up this mystery?
I do not believe I knew him but I have friends that are sad about his death. Are we missing something?
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#59020 Mar 18, 2014
What a bunch of liars.(Compliments of the Buffalo News) JEEZ!

Jan. 30, 1932 – March 14, 2014

The Rev. Richard A. Massar, who served at half a dozen parishes in the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, died Friday in Mercy Hospital. He was 82.

Born in Gowanda, he was a graduate of Gowanda High School and St. John Vianney Seminary in East Aurora.

He was ordained May 24, 1969, by Bishop James A. McNulty in Our Lady of Victory Basilica, Lackawanna

Father Massar first was assigned as assistant pastor at St. John Vianney Church in Orchard Park, then became assistant pastor at St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Buffalo in 1971, assistant pastor at SS. Peter & Paul Church in Jamestown in 1976 and assistant pastor at Blessed Sacrament Church in Buffalo in 1982.

In 1989, he was named parochial vicar at St. Martin’s Church in Buffalo, then became parochial vicar at Infant of Prague Church in Cheektowaga in 1993.

He retired in 2002.

Survivors include four brothers, Alexander, Joseph, Dominic and George.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at noon Saturday by Bishop Edward M. Grosz in St. Joseph Catholic Church, Main Street and Erie Avenue, Gowanda.
twentysevenyears

Lancaster, NY

#59021 Mar 18, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
What a bunch of liars.(Compliments of the Buffalo News) JEEZ!
Jan. 30, 1932 – March 14, 2014
The Rev. Richard A. Massar, who served at half a dozen parishes in the Catholic Diocese of Buffalo, died Friday in Mercy Hospital. He was 82.
Born in Gowanda, he was a graduate of Gowanda High School and St. John Vianney Seminary in East Aurora.
He was ordained May 24, 1969, by Bishop James A. McNulty in Our Lady of Victory Basilica, Lackawanna
Father Massar first was assigned as assistant pastor at St. John Vianney Church in Orchard Park, then became assistant pastor at St. Thomas Aquinas Church in Buffalo in 1971, assistant pastor at SS. Peter & Paul Church in Jamestown in 1976 and assistant pastor at Blessed Sacrament Church in Buffalo in 1982.
In 1989, he was named parochial vicar at St. Martin’s Church in Buffalo, then became parochial vicar at Infant of Prague Church in Cheektowaga in 1993.
He retired in 2002.
Survivors include four brothers, Alexander, Joseph, Dominic and George.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered at noon Saturday by Bishop Edward M. Grosz in St. Joseph Catholic Church, Main Street and Erie Avenue, Gowanda.
I surmise one must be 50 years a priest in order for the leprechaun to see you off.
Innovation

Niagara Falls, NY

#59022 Mar 18, 2014
Lavender Lover wrote:
<quoted text> There is a great gay bar in central Krakow across the street from a walled convent. If Father Leon Biernat accompanies the bishop he will have a place to go and let loose.
will he be joined by Fr. Glassmire, Fr. Corbin, and Fr. J. Mazur to this famous Krakow pilgrimage?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Woodland council to talk about a sanctuary city... Jul 13 spytheweb 2
Thinking of moving to Newfoundland - help and a... (Jan '07) Jul 10 anbmarks 90
News The meaning of reconciliation: 'We're not anywh... Jul 7 Marked BonerCowSki 3
News As a Newfoundlander born in 1952, I learned a g... Jul 1 Shoe Polish Sheldon 4
News Activist vying for non-binary birth certificate... Jun '17 TerriB1 1
News Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin ... Jun '17 pretty closed club 1
News The GPS of its time: Surveyor James Cook rememb... Jun '17 Sub hit by while ... 1
More from around the web