Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 63327 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Anon

North Tonawanda, NY

#58700 Feb 28, 2014
Parishioner wrote:
<quoted text>How about bird poop for our 'famous' priest who is never home?
who????
Anon

North Tonawanda, NY

#58701 Feb 28, 2014
Judge Judy wrote:
<quoted text> Ask 'divine one' since he has a 'personal spy cop' who works for him! They would know that!
who is divine one and his spy???
Benjamin

Buffalo, NY

#58702 Feb 28, 2014
HeyZeus wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing Corpus Christi's situation to Saint Anne's is like comparing Communion Wafers to Doritos. Corpus Christi was never in as bad of shape as Saint Anne's is now. Parishioners their took the initiative to save the church. Saint Anne's people have never stepped up and still haven't. That's why I left and went to another church after it became apparent Saint Anne's leaders aren't really leaders at all.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."

Benjamin Franklin---Statesman, Patriot and Philanderer----
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#58703 Feb 28, 2014
Service wrote:
Msgr Gallian is vacationing in Florida ,while Fr. Artt Smith is having some medical issues.
Msgr. Gallivan is one of the hardest working priests in the diocese of Buffalo and definitely deserves a vacation. Art smith has really been treated harshly and unjustly by several individuals. He deserves better. I hope he gets well soon.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#58704 Feb 28, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Corpus Christi will close some day like St. Ann due to the financial and population problems.
We will all be gone too. Except we won't be missed.
Meanies

Buffalo, NY

#58705 Feb 28, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
<quoted text> Msgr. Gallivan is one of the hardest working priests in the diocese of Buffalo and definitely deserves a vacation. Art smith has really been treated harshly and unjustly by several individuals. He deserves better. I hope he gets well soon.
It's heartwarming to know on these frigid days that there are exceptional mean, nasty Catholics everywhere not just at Corpus Christi.
WillRogers

Buffalo, NY

#58706 Feb 28, 2014
Benjamin wrote:
<quoted text>
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
Benjamin Franklin---Statesman, Patriot and Philanderer----
Benjamin should be the patron saint of the diocese . He has his face on money. St. Joseph will never make it on any currency and he was never philanderopic.
Disservice

Lancaster, NY

#58707 Feb 28, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>Corpus Christi will close some day like St. Ann due to the financial and population problems.
Service, you are doing a great disservice to the Bishop by gossiping and muddying the waters of his term of service.
Transparency

Buffalo, NY

#58708 Mar 1, 2014
Disservice wrote:
<quoted text>Service, you are doing a great disservice to the Bishop by gossiping and muddying the waters of his term of service.
The Bishop is doing a great job of that himself! It is so sad for people who want to believe he has the best interests of our Diocese and is doing the work of God!
HeyZeus

Dunkirk, NY

#58709 Mar 1, 2014
WillRogers wrote:
<quoted text>
"'We are all ignorant just on different subjects." Please don't pretend to be an expert on Corpus Christi History. Enough to say that it still neeeds work but it will not cost 12 million.
The workers in the field must have a sense of service and community otherwise they will all be like you. You may not be catholic otherwise you would see what is going on around you and know that the leadership in the parish is the pastor whol follows orders from the Bishop
and if he disagrees he will lose his job, be sidelined or sent to a shrink. The credit for ultimately saving Corpus Christi goes to Bishop Mansell and the Franciscans who had the good sense never to sell their property to the Diocese. The smartest move of all. You see the Poles never liked communist economics not even in the church. That's why they were never locked out like St. Ann's .Shame on the Polish Bishop to do that to his people that he is supposed to help and shepherd. If his first concern is property management he is derelict in his duty to save souls.
Yes.The Saint Anne's people coming out their holes to chime in.

The truth does hurt you doesn't it? You need to take a long hard look at what you have done. Take the number zero and divide it by zero. This is what amounts to the work you have done. ZERO. You need a wake up call.
Saint Ann

Dunkirk, NY

#58710 Mar 1, 2014
I too have worked with Saint Anns people. Not a good scene at all. Why would they let the church fall a part and only wait to the last minute to do anything about it!
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#58711 Mar 1, 2014
Saint Ann wrote:
I too have worked with Saint Anns people. Not a good scene at all. Why would they let the church fall a part and only wait to the last minute to do anything about it!
Exactly! They want a hand out. Period. If the Church is in bad shape, it is not the fault of the Diocese, it is the fault of the people. I hate to bring this up but does not the word Church mean people? I guess they did not get the memo.
Emslie

Schenectady, NY

#58712 Mar 1, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! They want a hand out. Period. If the Church is in bad shape, it is not the fault of the Diocese, it is the fault of the people. I hate to bring this up but does not the word Church mean people? I guess they did not get the memo.
There you go again, Mary. Show us where/when the St. Ann's people asked for help from the diocese. They could not repair the church because the diocese must sign off on any expenditures greater than $10k, even when the funds are drawn from St. Ann's account.

Not to mention that the needed repairs as alleged by the diocese are bloated beyond reasonableness for political purposes.

Now that we've figured out that you are NOT a priest (Fr. Art), you can stop the preaching already- particularly on matters with which you are not familiar.
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#58713 Mar 1, 2014
Tom Yots, executive director of PBN, leveraged his long time relationship with the spokesman of the Diocese, Kevin Keenan to discuss saving the church.“We’re at this point because Tom picked up the phone and got in touch with me,” said Keenan,“Tom got in touch with me last Wednesday and the following day we had a meeting with the Bishop to discuss pursing reuse options.”
Where exactly do you people fit in to this equation? Hey you, with the fake name, I have just as much right to post as you do. Remember that.
Mary of Magdala

Marilla, NY

#58714 Mar 1, 2014
I get cranky when told I do not know what I am speaking about! LOL!

"The Congregation for Clergy (or any dicastery that receives recourses, apart from the Signatura) can overturn the decision of a bishop for two reasons:
1. The bishop made a legal error. This could be an error in procedendo (e.g., he omitted some necessary procedural formality such as consulting the presbyteral council) or an error in decernendo (not that he made a bad decision, but that he lacked or at least failed to cite objectively sufficient reasons for his decision, such as, in the case of relegation of a church, a “grave cause,” c. 1222).
2. On the merits, i.e., the decision was perfectly licit and valid, but the Congregation for Clergy thinks it’s a bad decision and forces the bishop to change it.
For better or for worse, the Congregation for Clergy is NOT in the habit of overturning decisions on the merits. They will virtually never overturn the decision of a bishop just because it’s a dumb decision. Even an ultramontanist like myself can see the advantages of that kind of restraint and conservatism on the part of the Curia.
My very strong suspicion, then, is that the relegation of this church was overturned on the basis of some legal error. For example, if the decree says,“whereas the building is in need of $12 million in repairs, therefore, having consulted the presbyteral council and other interested parties, I hereby relegate this church to secular but not sordid use,” the bishop would have failed to cite an objectively grave cause. The dollar amount of the repairs is not a grave cause on its own; the bishop would also need to cite the fact that the parish does not have $12 million, that every feasible effort to raise the money has been tried and failed, etc. In other words, he needs to show why it is impossible to keep the church open, not just why it would be convenient to close it.
What that means in the long run is that this bishop just needs to correct his legal error, write a better decree, and close the church again, and the Congregation almost certainly will not stop him."
Anonymous

United States

#58715 Mar 1, 2014
The DOB is forecasting an impending collapse of St. Ann’s. However, only last August, Bishop Malone was ready to sell it for a secular use. Why not a second opinion by an independent company? Besides, the cost of demolition would be enough to secure the church for another 50 years.
Cashapaloozza

Lancaster, NY

#58716 Mar 1, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
The DOB is forecasting an impending collapse of St. Ann’s. However, only last August, Bishop Malone was ready to sell it for a secular use. Why not a second opinion by an independent company? Besides, the cost of demolition would be enough to secure the church for another 50 years.
When the DOB tells us it's not about the money. Guess what!. It's all about the money.!
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#58717 Mar 2, 2014
Saint Ann wrote:
What exactly is falling apart? Where are the second third and fourth estimates on the building repairs? We know how the diocese follows its own best practices policy. What is the cost of demolition? Who is supposed to pay it? Who paid for St. Barbara's demolition?
Power

Buffalo, NY

#58718 Mar 2, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Mary but whoever you are , you're a fool and a fraud not even good enough to live up to your name, because the ladies of the night are usually honest. If the church means people why are they being abused by the ones that are supposed to help them, and I'm not just talking about St. Ann.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#58719 Mar 2, 2014
Cashapaloozza wrote:
<quoted text>When the DOB tells us it's not about the money. Guess what!. It's all about the money.!
It's ALWAYS about the money!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'It's just really strange': Who is beheading th... Sun test 6
News Mainly about the money: Muskrat Falls inquiry l... Mar '18 water pollution 2 eh 1
News New tariffs will cost Corner Brook Pulp and Pap... Mar '18 water pollution 2 eh 1
News Passed out on Pleasant Street; in St. John's co... Mar '18 Witless Council eh 1
News VIDEO: 'Come From Away' celebrates first annive... Mar '18 NWO sing-along eh 1
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Mar '18 best-cheapest-plans 8
News Virginia mom mysteriously disappears from front... Feb '18 Nutcase 1