Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 59911 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

someone

Buffalo, NY

#57866 Jan 12, 2014
I would live to sit and debate with everyone how has ever posted on this blog which is filled with lies and hatred.
Anonymous

United States

#57867 Jan 12, 2014
Service wrote:
Pope Francis named 16 new cardinals and 3 emeriti cardinals.Anyone of Buffalo?
There are no cardinals in Buffalo. Only blue jays and peacocks.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#57868 Jan 13, 2014
The Archdiocese of Chicago is releasing many clergy sex abuse files. Will the diocese of Buffalo ever have the courage to do the same?
Anon

Fayetteville, NY

#57869 Jan 13, 2014
Per Pope Francis' directive the Oakland Place mansion must be sold.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#57870 Jan 13, 2014
Anon wrote:
Per Pope Francis' directive the Oakland Place mansion must be sold.
Your sources?
Wrecking Crew

Buffalo, NY

#57871 Jan 13, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>What bothers me most is they have time to go on pilgrimages. And then claim they have no time to say masses or minister to the elderly. There are nursing homes that need priests to say mass a few times a week. A few less pilgrimages and a few more priests doing their ministry would be helpful.
So it has been written!! They are taking people to visit churches that have not been demolished. When people come to Buffalo we can show them nice pictures and videos of what was built by a previous generation of Catholics who had no money but a lot of faith and a work ethic. Bishops must be very proud of signing demolition orders while prohibiting people from raising money to maintain our beautiful spaces.
Discreet Pete

Lancaster, NY

#57872 Jan 14, 2014
Poverty wrote:
<quoted text>Pope Francis is asking all priests to live a life of poverty. They should sell their apartments, cottages, and houses, and give to the poor.Are they going to follow the Pope's advise? Stop going to Disneyland, and other expensive places in the country.
The Pope can sell tha Vatican first , then I will think about selling the beach estate.
Mordecai

Lancaster, NY

#57873 Jan 14, 2014
someone wrote:
I would live to sit and debate with everyone how has ever posted on this blog which is filled with lies and hatred.
Drinking and typing don't mix.
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57874 Jan 15, 2014
Discreet Pete wrote:
<quoted text>The Pope can sell tha Vatican first , then I will think about selling the beach estate.
To whom can the Pope sell his Vatican property? To a priest who loves his 'lovenest' by the lake?
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57875 Jan 15, 2014
Which schools will close today? What about the 'cinderella parishes', would any of those close today?
Service

Niagara Falls, NY

#57876 Jan 15, 2014
Wrecking Crew wrote:
<quoted text>
So it has been written!! They are taking people to visit churches that have not been demolished. When people come to Buffalo we can show them nice pictures and videos of what was built by a previous generation of Catholics who had no money but a lot of faith and a work ethic. Bishops must be very proud of signing demolition orders while prohibiting people from raising money to maintain our beautiful spaces.
No need for so many semiempty church buildings to support financially. Close them now!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#57877 Jan 15, 2014
Service wrote:
Which schools will close today? What about the 'cinderella parishes', would any of those close today?
What is a "Cinderella parish"?
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#57878 Jan 15, 2014
10 schools will be closing out of 45.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#57879 Jan 15, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no cardinals in Buffalo.
That's the truth! Cardinals are monogamous - they have the same partner for life.
Therefore, you probably wouldn't find any in Buffalo.
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#57880 Jan 15, 2014
Can the poster who said LiPuma's parish school, St. Peter's in Lewiston only had 98 students confirm that? If that is true, why did it stay open when it was stated at the diocesan press conference that schools with under 120 students did not afford them a quality educational experience and that's why they were closing.
Serve what

Buffalo, NY

#57881 Jan 15, 2014
Service wrote:
<quoted text>No need for so many semiempty church buildings to support financially. Close them now!
Why are YOU worried about who supports them. It will be done by those who want to.
I would much rather support a totally empty building than some lazy, selfish, self serving priest's personal beach , mountain, city or suburban residences when there are empty rectories available all over the diocese. Get rid of everything, and everybody, the priests first and we can start over and be much happier. Nobody in the present field will be missed. You can be sure of it. Service???? Are you kidding or dreaming?
Anon

Washington, DC

#57882 Jan 15, 2014
Mary of Magdala wrote:
10 schools will be closing out of 45.
http://mobile.buffalonews.com/ ?articleRedirect=1
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#57883 Jan 15, 2014
Dunkirk Connection wrote:
Can the poster who said LiPuma's parish school, St. Peter's in Lewiston only had 98 students confirm that? If that is true, why did it stay open when it was stated at the diocesan press conference that schools with under 120 students did not afford them a quality educational experience and that's why they were closing.
WGRZ has a listing of enrollment numbers at the various Catholic schools throughout the diocese on their website. St. Peter's enrollment is listed as 98. I don't know if these numbers are correct. I heard they had around 120. Not sure.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#57884 Jan 15, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
WGRZ has a listing of enrollment numbers at the various Catholic schools throughout the diocese on their website. St. Peter's enrollment is listed as 98. I don't know if these numbers are correct. I heard they had around 120. Not sure.
The school has to have at least 400 kids. This is what has been said. If it is capable of that sort of enrollment and the building is in good enough shape, they will make it a hub. Look, as someone who spent her life in Catholic schools, this is disturbing. However, I was speaking today with a student of mine who put her children in Catholic Schools because she lives in the city. She told me that the taxes are so high in the suburbs that the young ones can not afford the fancy houses and the Catholic education. It is a choice the young people made as they made their lives. There is nothing to be done except to try to keep some parishes open and some schools.
Mike

Buffalo, NY

#57885 Jan 15, 2014
MsgrBadski wrote:
The Archdiocese of Chicago is releasing many clergy sex abuse files. Will the diocese of Buffalo ever have the courage to do the same?
Not unless law enforcement gets involved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Faroese man charged in air rage case (Jun '10) Jul 1 YoyoMoFo 2
News Red Deer accommodating growing Filipino community Jun '15 Phillip Eans 1
News Winnipeg's parks -- spring into them (Apr '13) Jun '15 JUSTIN TRUDEAU 9
News St. John's United to host Hymns for Haiti (Jan '10) Jun '15 now Nepal 3
News RCMP 'inept, outdated,' Cummins says (Nov '11) Jun '15 Mike 5
News Hamilton, Thunder Bay had most hate crime in Ca... Jun '15 Medewiwin 1
News Pot is no risk-free high for teens with develop... Jun '15 HumanSpirit 1
More from around the web