Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

Full story: WGRZ Buffalo

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Comments (Page 2,796)

Showing posts 55,901 - 55,920 of58,474
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Fr. Baker built it to honor Our Lady of Victory. In those days it was considered a good thing to do. I am not sure where you are from but most of Fr's. ministry revolved around the poor. He took in orphans and educated them. He had bread lines during the depression. He also cared for the babies with disabilities and later on the unwed mothers. I don't know what your problem is with OLV but it is very financially solvent so I think you should just leave it alone.
You missed the point entirely. Shame on you. Of course they are needed for reasons you can not even imagine. Of course they should be supported and maintained and appreciated. All the great works built by human hands on earth for the glory of God. Let each one do what they can without the diocese pushing for their demolition with outrageous claims. Why drive the faithful out of their churches instead of letting them repair them. People will step up when given an opportunity. And they will surprise you. Why doesn't St. Ann's deserve any consideration and Holy Trinity in Niagara Falls? How do you justify demolishing St. Barbara's and leaving a a little tool shed in it's place?
Restoration of these great structures instead of letting them rot like St. Gerard's would also create training opportunities and jobs for the unemployed. There's more to helping the poor than soup kitchens and recycling old clothes.
Mary of Magdela

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the point entirely. Shame on you. Of course they are needed for reasons you can not even imagine. Of course they should be supported and maintained and appreciated. All the great works built by human hands on earth for the glory of God. Let each one do what they can without the diocese pushing for their demolition with outrageous claims. Why drive the faithful out of their churches instead of letting them repair them. People will step up when given an opportunity. And they will surprise you. Why doesn't St. Ann's deserve any consideration and Holy Trinity in Niagara Falls? How do you justify demolishing St. Barbara's and leaving a a little tool shed in it's place?
Restoration of these great structures instead of letting them rot like St. Gerard's would also create training opportunities and jobs for the unemployed. There's more to helping the poor than soup kitchens and recycling old clothes.
WOW! That last line was not only mean but way too personal! The people of OLV along with many people around the world support the Church. That is the difference. I feel badly about your parishes. I live near the shell of a former parish. Having said that, if the surrounding community does not support a parish, a few well meaning individuals can not do it themselves. Your beef is not with me or other parishes that are thriving, it is with your former parishioners who abandoned their Church.

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a friend who attended an all boy Catholic High School. His uncle was a priest and he used to complain that his uncle would not let him hang around after school. Many of the guys did not mind allowing oral sex in return for cigarettes, dirty magazines and liquor. I am not condoning this behavior but I think they knew what they were doing. This is another example of why celibacy does not work. On the subject of gay priests, what do you expect when any young man who showed the slightest interest in girls was run off? You can not have it both ways.
Mary, I'm kind of like your friend and I attended Canisius HS in the late 50's.

Perhaps I know your other friend. I was street-wise at an early age and could easily obtain my Lucky Strikes, skin mags, eight pagers and other party supplies without relying on a clergy member.
That said, the nude swimming was not my favorite activity at CHS.

As a mid 50's altar boy and as a student, I had no uncomfortable experiences and was never propositioned by a priest or a nun.
I received a good elementary education from dedicated nuns.
I would walk to the rectory at 5:30am and meet Father and we drove to E. J. Meyer Hospital to say Mass in the chapel.

Those were good days for me.
Nothing stays the same; we move forward.
There are many paths up that mountain that we all climb, I hope I see you at the top my friend.
Mary of Magdela

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Buffalo BarFly wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary, I'm kind of like your friend and I attended Canisius HS in the late 50's.
Perhaps I know your other friend. I was street-wise at an early age and could easily obtain my Lucky Strikes, skin mags, eight pagers and other party supplies without relying on a clergy member.
That said, the nude swimming was not my favorite activity at CHS.
As a mid 50's altar boy and as a student, I had no uncomfortable experiences and was never propositioned by a priest or a nun.
I received a good elementary education from dedicated nuns.
I would walk to the rectory at 5:30am and meet Father and we drove to E. J. Meyer Hospital to say Mass in the chapel.
Those were good days for me.
Nothing stays the same; we move forward.
There are many paths up that mountain that we all climb, I hope I see you at the top my friend.
First, no wonder you are so articulate at times you had a great education! 3 of my 4 sons attended CHS. I would never expect that there. I am speaking of a school of a different order. More south but I don't know anything about the Polish priests even further south. I loved the nuns. I was educated by them from 7th-12th. I never had a problem with them. Thank you for your kind words and yes, I am grateful for your friendship.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW! That last line was not only mean but way too personal! The people of OLV along with many people around the world support the Church. That is the difference. I feel badly about your parishes. I live near the shell of a former parish. Having said that, if the surrounding community does not support a parish, a few well meaning individuals can not do it themselves. Your beef is not with me or other parishes that are thriving, it is with your former parishioners who have abandoned the Church.
Who said that a few well meaning individuals can not do it by themselves? Have they been given a chance? How many people did Father Baker start with? The locals didn't even want him there. And was the Bishop so supportive of him? They still have the "penny" drive that he started don't they? Because 100 pennies make a dollar.
He was successful because he had faith in God, Our Lady and his fellow man. What's our excuse?
Mary of Magdela

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2013

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said that a few well meaning individuals can not do it by themselves? Have they been given a chance? How many people did Father Baker start with? The locals didn't even want him there. And was the Bishop so supportive of him? They still have the "penny" drive that he started don't they? Because 100 pennies make a dollar.
He was successful because he had faith in God, Our Lady and his fellow man. What's our excuse?
I am unsure as to where you get your information. Fr. had no difficulties with the bishops he served under. When he first arrived on Limestone Hill, the parish was heavily in debt. He used his own money to begin paying off the debts. He attributed his good fortune to our Lady. The gas wells went a long way to helping in his endeavors. Last and certainly not least, he was beloved by the people you call local. I should know, my father grew up in one of the many houses he built on South Park. He did not start the penny drive. That came later but was cool. Certainly you don't believe it supported the parish? His devotion to Our Blessed Mother drew people and the donations to the Church. His business sense and deep love guided him on his path.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Fr. Baker built it to honor Our Lady of Victory. In those days it was considered a good thing to do. I am not sure where you are from but most of Fr's. ministry revolved around the poor. He took in orphans and educated them. He had bread lines during the depression. He also cared for the babies with disabilities and later on the unwed mothers. I don't know what your problem is with OLV but it is very financially solvent so I think you should just leave it alone.
St. Francis lived in rags, yet he believed no expense should be spared for the glory of God. He sent his disciples out with precious pyxs to hold the Eucharist in; his ornate chasuble, made for him by St. Clare, can still be seen. Judas complained about the expensive tribute to the Lord which should have spent for the poor. Actually, he wanted to keep things for himself. Religion means sacrifice and God must be treated as God.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Francis lived in rags, yet he believed no expense should be spared for the glory of God. He sent his disciples out with precious pyxs to hold the Eucharist in; his ornate chasuble, made for him by St. Clare, can still be seen. Judas complained about the expensive tribute to the Lord which should have spent for the poor. Actually, he wanted to keep things for himself. Religion means sacrifice and God must be treated as God.
Is this why Corpus Christi Church spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on their buildings and art works and offers little or no outreach to the neighborhood?
arab bodega lounger

North Tonawanda, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this why Corpus Christi Church spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on their buildings and art works and offers little or no outreach to the neighborhood?
The Rev. Delirious Pigeon, The Bloods and The Crips offer that neighborhood all the help it desires.
Shelter us

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
If the buildings had been demolished as the diocese had voted would it have offered anything to the neighborhood? Is something preventing the good people of the diocese of Buffalo from offering something to any neighborhood in the city of Buffalo? Please tell us what you would like us to offer as outreach and we will do it.
But not before we mend our tents-- Thank you St. Paul.
GANGS

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

arab bodega lounger wrote:
<quoted text>
The Rev. Delirious Pigeon, The Bloods and The Crips offer that neighborhood all the help it desires.
We all love the very tolerant and welcoming catholics who are so understanding of diversity. They will make great strides with their new and improved evangelization commission......
Especially after they close all their schools and open new soup kitchens and send some gay priests to work with us.
Churches

Niagara Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
You really do not need all those building even in the Falls. You have 4 church building in the Southern part of Niagara Falls, and 3 church buildings in the East. Do you really need all those buildings? There is only one in the North, and none in the West.Close down some of those churches in the East and the South in the Falls and you will have one priest available for more needy parish in the Diocese, than a 'seating duck' in the Falls in the Southern and Eastern part of the city. Revisiting is needed now! Orlando is close to any location regardless where the priest ends up after closings one of those buildings that are devouring money for heat and maintenance.
Churches

Niagara Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is going to pay the bills for all those semiempty buildings in the Diocese? Are you people ready to pay heat and electricity for those huge church buildings around the Diocese?
Churches

Niagara Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

Some churches around the Diocese are struggling to pay their bills from month to month. What is the point of keeping 'dead cow' alive?
Churches

Niagara Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2013

Judged:

More church buildings should be closed in Buffalo, Batavia, Dunkirk, Lackawanna, Niagara Falls, etc. and you will have some extra priest for more needy parishes instead of 'seating duck' in their rectory to wait when to go to Disney World, or other destinations in the country to get boredom out of their lives.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Judged:

Kolodziej' sexual proclivities were well known in the DOB for several years. They were even noted on this blog. Did the chancery ever do anything. Probably not. Another party into wrestling with young men was Father William Ward. who also seems to have swung both ways.
Anonymous

Lockport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Judged:

Churches wrote:
More church buildings should be closed in Buffalo, Batavia, Dunkirk, Lackawanna, Niagara Falls, etc. and you will have some extra priest for more needy parishes instead of 'seating duck' in their rectory to wait when to go to Disney World, or other destinations in the country to get boredom out of their lives.
Don't forget about the "European pilgrimages". Another one planned for late February.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget about the "European pilgrimages". Another one planned for late February.
Is the pilgrimage to visit old churches which were not demolished?
Anon

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Judged:

Churches wrote:
<quoted text>Who is going to pay the bills for all those semiempty buildings in the Diocese? Are you people ready to pay heat and electricity for those huge church buildings around the Diocese?
If the people are willing to fight for those buildings, it means they are willing to work for their upkeep. Although I think old parishioners and old clergy should go along with the old buildings. Maybe the buildings could be turned into fancy mausoleums that don't have to be heated as much.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2013

Judged:

Churches wrote:
Some churches around the Diocese are struggling to pay their bills from month to month. What is the point of keeping 'dead cow' alive?
St. Joseph is getting a great facelift. It was supposed to go remember? People have stepped up. Or was the Bishop and company afraid to tackle Niagara Falls? Some people will not allow themselves to be pushed around like the rest of us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 55,901 - 55,920 of58,474
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newfoundland Discussions

Search the Newfoundland Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
What's happening in Halton Hills on Canada Day Jul 1 Dominion Day 1
The search for mental health in a pill Jun 29 STARTS WITH VACCINES 6
We asked: What does being Canadian mean to you?... Jun 27 better than Liberty 1
Widow still waiting for chopper safety change Jun 23 Survey says 1
Where can you find a good prostitute in St. Joh... (Dec '06) Jun 22 Discreet guy 55
Lost my drink Jun 17 Janet Seth 1
Town signs Community Covenant-first in Ontario,... Jun 17 whatis their special deal 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••