Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Full Story
anon

Buffalo, NY

#57449 Oct 21, 2013
From 'The FreeDictionary' on line:

ill-gotten gains:
money or other possessions acquired in a dishonest or illegal fashion. Bill cheated at cards and is now living on his ill-gotten gains. Mary is enjoying her ill-gotten gains. She deceived an old lady into leaving her $5,000 in her will.

Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#57450 Oct 21, 2013
SJV/CTK closing? It looks like the diocese expects it to remain open. they're having an open house. what a waste. If this white elephant were closed., they coud save millions.
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#57451 Oct 21, 2013
Anybody out there know anything about how a parish council is formed? Blessed Mary Angela Parish is having one for the first time. In the spring Fr. Nycz said members would be put on the council by a general vote of parishioners in the fall. Recently, he was canvassing for prospective council members and I threw my hat in the ring. After that, the rules changed and there is no longer going to be any vote by the parishioners. Any one who expressed an interest in being on the council was invited to an informational meeting tonight. Fr. Nycz called everyone this morning to remind them of the meeting. When he called me, I told him I could not make the meeting because I work evenings, but if I made it on the council I would work it out with my boss to make sure I could attend every meeting. He then informed me that I would not be on the council for the first year but after that things may change. My response was, "Am I the first to be eliminated or have there been others?" He didn't answer that. What sense did it make for him to be calling me to remind me of tonight's meeting when he had already made up his mind not to appoint me? Anyone ever heard of a parish council being formed strictly by pastoral appointment?
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#57452 Oct 21, 2013
Dunkirk Connection wrote:
Anybody out there know anything about how a parish council is formed? Blessed Mary Angela Parish is having one for the first time. In the spring Fr. Nycz said members would be put on the council by a general vote of parishioners in the fall. Recently, he was canvassing for prospective council members and I threw my hat in the ring. After that, the rules changed and there is no longer going to be any vote by the parishioners. Any one who expressed an interest in being on the council was invited to an informational meeting tonight. Fr. Nycz called everyone this morning to remind them of the meeting. When he called me, I told him I could not make the meeting because I work evenings, but if I made it on the council I would work it out with my boss to make sure I could attend every meeting. He then informed me that I would not be on the council for the first year but after that things may change. My response was, "Am I the first to be eliminated or have there been others?" He didn't answer that. What sense did it make for him to be calling me to remind me of tonight's meeting when he had already made up his mind not to appoint me? Anyone ever heard of a parish council being formed strictly by pastoral appointment?
The "Parish Council" serves at the pleasure of the pastor. In other words, they pick and then the council rubber stamps. I am surprised you did not know that. They have no real power. I always considered them sad because they thought they did. I am sorry dear.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#57453 Oct 21, 2013
MsgrBadski wrote:
SJV/CTK closing? It looks like the diocese expects it to remain open. they're having an open house. what a waste. If this white elephant were closed., they coud save millions.
I know I am not as brilliant as you, however, they make money in that place. If I may be so rude, I told you so! LOL!
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#57454 Oct 21, 2013
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
The "Parish Council" serves at the pleasure of the pastor. In other words, they pick and then the council rubber stamps. I am surprised you did not know that. They have no real power. I always considered them sad because they thought they did. I am sorry dear.
I've talked to people from different parishes who have a council. They all said the members were elected by the parishioners. I do agree about the rubber stamping though and I was mistaken to think the council would actually make any decisions on their own.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#57455 Oct 21, 2013
<quoted text>
I've talked to people from different parishes who have a council. They all said the members were elected by the parishioners. I do agree about the rubber stamping though and I was mistaken to think the council would actually make any decisions on their own.
You are correct. Eventually when they are settled, their will be an election, however, it is an election between the chosen few. I am sorry to be so jaded.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#57456 Oct 21, 2013
there (sp.) darn!
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#57457 Oct 21, 2013
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. Eventually when they are settled, their will be an election, however, it is an election between the chosen few. I am sorry to be so jaded.
So in other words, whoever will be up for election will be hand picked by the pastor? Is that what you're saying?
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

#57459 Oct 21, 2013
Mary of Magdala wrote:
<quoted text>
I know I am not as brilliant as you, however, they make money in that place. If I may be so rude, I told you so! LOL!
Tell me more. I'd just like to kno what the real statistics are. also you observations on the parish council are quite correct. They are a rubber stamp for the pastor. they have no real power.
abno

Buffalo, NY

#57460 Oct 21, 2013
And so another priest bites the dust in DC's mind.
Mary of Magdala

Buffalo, NY

#57461 Oct 22, 2013
MsgrBadski wrote:
<quoted text> Tell me more. I'd just like to kno what the real statistics are. also you observations on the parish council are quite correct. They are a rubber stamp for the pastor. they have no real power.
Below is the advertisement for their program:
"At Christ the King Seminary our future priests, deacons and lay ministers study and continually work together, sharing what can be shared and valuing the differences of each. Christ the King is one of only a few U.S. Catholic seminaries using this collaborative educational model. Our alumni are ministering as priests, deacons, women and men religious, parish administrators, pastoral associates, catechists, directors of religious education, youth ministers, teachers in our Catholic schools, hospital chaplains, campus ministers, prison chaplains, and volunteers."
Keep in mind there are tuition costs for the above. 1 graduate course hour is $500. On top of that, they rent the facilities for retreats, sporting events, conferences, etc. Retreats can be as small as the servers of a parish and can be as large as an entire Confirmation class. I will say, though, the food is good and the grounds are beautiful.
anon

Grand Island, NY

#57462 Oct 22, 2013
St Ann parish for generations was prolife, that commitment was more important than the building. Since it closed, committees have been contacting pro abortion politicians and media, to ask for help and guidance. Any group that opposes the Catholic Church gets thousands of dollars worth of free publicity. The committees are not intending to support abortion, but that is the result.
Priorities

Carlisle, MA

#57463 Oct 22, 2013
anon wrote:
St Ann parish for generations was prolife, that commitment was more important than the building. Since it closed, committees have been contacting pro abortion politicians and media, to ask for help and guidance. Any group that opposes the Catholic Church gets thousands of dollars worth of free publicity. The committees are not intending to support abortion, but that is the result.
Why should anyone at any parish, be preoccupied with what women do in the privacy of their doctor's office? It is nobody else's business, including yours. Go find some radical right-wing blog to terrorize.
Anonymous

United States

#57464 Oct 22, 2013
A new agreement between the Hungarian Government and the Catholic Church regulates financial issues regarding the teaching of religion in schools, Catholic higher education institutions, the restoration and conservation of religious patrimony of monuments and works of art owned by the Church, the destination of a portion of tax to the Catholic Church. Wasn’t Hungary a communist country until 1989?
East Side Reporter

Tonawanda, NY

#57465 Oct 22, 2013
Facebook says that St John Kanty will get a temporary administrator this week and a PASTOR within a month! Wonder who will be the lucky one to get the parish???? Fr Ron is off sailing now!
Anonymous

United States

#57466 Oct 23, 2013
Three bishops in Europe accepted to step down due to apparent financial improprieties.
Where were the diocesan priests’ councils, the finance committees, the bishops’ consultors the guidelines of the Episcopal Conferences and, not the least, the authorizations by the Vatican with all the lay people directly and indirectly involved? Could it happen in Buffalo? Where there money, the pipelines are leaking. Remember Judas and Franjone.
Poverty

Buffalo, NY

#57467 Oct 23, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
Three bishops in Europe accepted to step down due to apparent financial improprieties.
Where were the diocesan priests’ councils, the finance committees, the bishops’ consultors the guidelines of the Episcopal Conferences and, not the least, the authorizations by the Vatican with all the lay people directly and indirectly involved? Could it happen in Buffalo? Where there money, the pipelines are leaking. Remember Judas and Franjone.
Where certain priests get their money to buy lakeside villas for 159,000 dollars? Is that what Pope Francis allows?New fence! Swimmingpool! What else is needed to be 'divinely' inspired?
Poverty

Buffalo, NY

#57468 Oct 23, 2013
Did a bishop in Germany stepped down because of poverty?
Episcopus

Buffalo, NY

#57469 Oct 23, 2013
Why did a bishop in Germany step down? What was the cause of it?Sex? or Mpney?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Outdoor education: ELA could find niche as high... 23 hr convenient for BI... 1
2nd potato in Atlantic Canada with metal object... Oct 16 HUB 2
Episcopal parishes on Staten Island to hold mem... Oct 15 RevKen 1
New mural a point of pride in North End Oct 3 chugs are POS 7
First national study sheds new light on sex wor... Sep 29 Canada Big High S... 2
Town signs Community Covenant-first in Ontario,... Sep 26 Conception Bay So... 2
Youth group to groom tomorrow's Globe stars (Sep '08) Sep 22 Video purports re... 6

Newfoundland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE