Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61396 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Mary of Magdela

Tonawanda, NY

#57294 Sep 24, 2013
Get Real wrote:
How will selling Oakland Place and CKS save schools? The sale might bring enough to fund one school for one year only.
The plan states the ideal school is 400 students, not 600! And it is an ideal not a must.
Are you sure? Hamburg? your kids will be at Southtown Catholic. good luck!
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#57295 Sep 24, 2013
Get Real wrote:
How will selling Oakland Place and CKS save schools? The sale might bring enough to fund one school for one year only.
The plan states the ideal school is 400 students, not 600! And it is an ideal not a must.
Actually, "Get Real", you might have a point. but selling the seminary and mansion might also send a message that the bishop is also doing his part to solve some of these problems. And it might be more consistent with some of the messages Francis I has been sending over the past few months.
Get Real

Buffalo, NY

#57296 Sep 24, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure? Hamburg? your kids will be at Southtown Catholic. good luck!
Yes, no one has mentioned 600 in one school - there would not be many, if any places large enough -- again, the ideal is 400 but even that is not possible for most buildings
anon

New York, NY

#57297 Sep 24, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, no one has mentioned 600 in one school - there would not be many, if any places large enough -- again, the ideal is 400 but even that is not possible for most buildings
Just get off my back. Talk to the hand......
anon

New York, NY

#57298 Sep 24, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
All you have to do as a leader is to encourage people to believe in THEMSELVES not in you. Anybody out there listening?
Yes, I listened. But it is hard to be a leader when both of your hands and feet are tied behind your back. When you are at your very worst it is very, very hard to lead anyone, let alone those seeking their future. Having said that, what YOU know about leadership, I could write on the head of a pin and still have room for the lord's prayer.
In order to lead anyone, you have to be willing to see their pain.
anonymous

New York, NY

#57299 Sep 24, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I listened. But it is hard to be a leader when both of your hands and feet are tied behind your back. When you are at your very worst it is very, very hard to lead anyone, let alone those seeking their future. Having said that, what YOU know about leadership, I could write on the head of a pin and still have room for the lord's prayer.
Yes, empathy is a great gift, powerful...and if you've got it, you've got it. And if you don't, you never will.
Who me

East Quogue, NY

#57300 Sep 25, 2013
are they not all closed now?
anonymous

New York, NY

#57301 Sep 25, 2013
Who me wrote:
are they not all closed now?
You tell me.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#57302 Sep 25, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I listened. But it is hard to be a leader when both of your hands and feet are tied behind your back. When you are at your very worst it is very, very hard to lead anyone, let alone those seeking their future. Having said that, what YOU know about leadership, I could write on the head of a pin and still have room for the lord's prayer.
BINGO!! We would all win if our leaders DID understand our pain or tried to understand at all. We are talking about Good Leaders. You know the kind that really listen with open ears and mind and heart. And then speak for themselves. Who do't need a spokesman or two or three . You know.. Like our million dollar superindendent of schools. The main reason that families with small children don't want to live in Buffalo unless they have to is the schools.
MsgrBadski

Riverside, CT

#57303 Sep 25, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
BINGO!! We would all win if our leaders DID understand our pain or tried to understand at all. We are talking about Good Leaders. You know the kind that really listen with open ears and mind and heart. And then speak for themselves. Who do't need a spokesman or two or three . You know.. Like our million dollar superindendent of schools. The main reason that families with small children don't want to live in Buffalo unless they have to is the schools.
the quality of schools is really an important factor in business locations. firma know that their employees will ot want to send their children to inferior and therefore look to locate in area with high quality education institutions. Recall What happened when St. James School in the Kensington area closed in the 1980' the neighborhood fell apart almost instantly.
Warren Buffett

Buffalo, NY

#57304 Sep 25, 2013
"Empathy"..... "feel/see their pain"...."keep our church open"...."don't close our school".....
Too Bad! Get over it!

What some of you fail to realize is that the Catholic Church IS A BUSINESS! And it's a HUGE business. Therefore, it's got to be treated like a business. And if it's not, it will fail.

Take other businesses that we're all aware of - Bethlehem Steal, GM, Ford, etc. We've seen Bethlehem Steal close it's doors. GM, Ford and other big motor companies have closed many of their plants and consolidated (just like the Catholic Church is doing). They simply couldn't hang on any longer or sustain the burden that some of these plants were causing. If they didn't close them, or consolidate them, the entire company would have been in jeopardy.

So quit your belly aching, try to understand, and be thankful that your Catholic Church is still around and hasn't gone under altogether.

Business is business, and the Catholic Church HAS to be treated like one for it's survival.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#57305 Sep 25, 2013
The only thing that the business examples prove is that these companies were and are constantly looking for cheap labor at the expense of a few in the top brass. The church has plenty of cheap or zero labor costs if and when it wants it. It also asks for donations and more offerings anytime it wants. Except in the very beginning the church in America, that is its leaders, have always been overfed and underworked. Don't worry if one company is in jeopardy another will spring up to replace it in Korea or China where they have a real work ethic and real brains.
Sanctuary man

Niagara Falls, NY

#57306 Sep 25, 2013
Washington wrote:
<quoted text>Using the parish visa card for his personal purposes: like buying gas for his car. Just ask Fr. Slisz!!!
Come on Renee...your the only one that see's the statements. When is your crabby ugly personality going to quit. You're a serpent ...slither away!
anonymous

New York, NY

#57307 Sep 26, 2013
Sanctuary man wrote:
<quoted text>
When is your crabby ugly personality going to quit. You're a serpent ...slither away!
My 'crabby ugly personality' and my 'serpent' status (as YOU say) will 'slither away' when you cease the name calling and personal attacks. Couldn't be simpler. Examine yourself.
Anonymous

United States

#57308 Sep 26, 2013
SAVE ST. ANN CHURCH and SHRINE!
When the Turks conquered Constantinople in 1453, the centuries old Hagia Sophia was converted into a mosque. Even though Islamic code forbid figural representations, the Turks preserved the frescoes and mosaic figures of Christian saints which decorated the walls. You don’t have to be Catholic to treasure the arts.
Who me

East Quogue, NY

#57309 Sep 27, 2013
f the turks they are dirty and smelly
Sanctuary man

Niagara Falls, NY

#57310 Sep 27, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>My 'crabby ugly personality' and my 'serpent' status (as YOU say) will 'slither away' when you cease the name calling and personal attacks. Couldn't be simpler. Examine yourself.
Thanks for finally revealing yourself! By the way....stop being so mean.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#57311 Sep 27, 2013
Who me wrote:
f the turks they are dirty and smelly
Those who want to tear down churches ain't smelling so good either.
Anonymous

United States

#57312 Sep 27, 2013
LONG LIVE ST. ANN’S - If the structural conditions of St. Ann’s are as catastrophic as Sr. Reggie & Co. tries to tell us, things did not happen overnight and the diocese is guilty of decades of neglect! Church law and common sense tell us to take care of things, especially when they are beautiful and valuable.
ANON

Buffalo, NY

#57313 Sep 27, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
LONG LIVE ST. ANN’S - If the structural conditions of St. Ann’s are as catastrophic as Sr. Reggie & Co. tries to tell us, things did not happen overnight and the diocese is guilty of decades of neglect! Church law and common sense tell us to take care of things, especially when they are beautiful and valuable.
Is that what is meant by good stewardship?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Events in Newfoundland and Labrador, Ottawa to ... Sep 12 911 sad eh 1
News Piece of steel beam from World Trade Center sto... Sep 9 can we test it 1
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Aug '16 billion dollar claim 6
Thinking of moving to Newfoundland - help and a... (Jan '07) Jul '16 Very-Tired 86
News Youth arrested on assault and weapons charges i... Jul '16 Pearl 1
News Anti-government activist fired for criticizing ... Jul '16 NFLD 1
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
More from around the web