Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

Full story: WGRZ Buffalo

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.
Comments
55,261 - 55,280 of 58,541 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

Baptisms down. Marriages down. Well,what about funerals? I was looking over death notices in the newspapers and names beginning with "Mc" or O'", names ending in "iak" or "ski",also names ending in "elli" or "ci" or "o". in other words,families that one would expect would want a Catholic funeral with a Mass. Lots of the death notices indicate that only a ceremony in the funeral is all that's happening. Another indication of the loss of fervor among Catholic, due to weak evangelization.
MsgrBadski

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Buffalonians are very complacent people. Ask anyone who comes to live here or tries to do business here, to change or even suggest anything different, he is met with the mantra:“But this is Buffalo!” It may not be the best place on earth, but we are happy the way we are and with the leaders we have. Freud argued that the leadership occurs because a group of people — the followers — have replaced their own narcissistic tendencies with those of the leaders, such that their love for the leaders is a disguised form of self-love. "Another person's narcissism", he said, "has a great attraction for those who have renounced part of their own... as if we envied them for maintaining a blissful state of mind." Even frogs croak happily in a muddy pond.
This certainly applies to Nazi Germany. But Buffalo? People everywhere resist change and this is certainly true in buffalo. Change will only occur when the people demand new leadership. When the followers lead, the leaders will follow. If the current political and religious leadership in the Buffalo area is anything to go by, the people just don't expect much.(The Freudian insights are a lot ot think about.)
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2013

Judged:

CORPUS CHRISTI – Ten years ago, the Diocesan Priests’ Council recommended the closing of the parish and the demolition of this church. It was saved by a group of lay people (not all parishioners, Polish or even Catholic) who had vision and commitment. They first asked Bishop Mansell for a 6 month reprieve. In the meantime they looked for priests and made Mansell an offer he could not refuse.
They knew that, when he first came to Buffalo, Mansell had promised to keep as many churches open as possible. Corpus Christi is still alive and kicking. Because the church is owned by the Pauline Fathers, it was able to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars also through matching grants for extensive restoration.
Reality

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Niagara Falls lost 5 parishes in 2008. The ones remaining all have "alternative" worship sites, except for St. Raphael's in the Deveaux section of the city and St. St. John's in LaSalle. Rumor has it that the "alternative" worship sites will be next on the DOB hit list.
Yes,, some of the alternative parish sites in the Falls should be closed immediately. No need for all those priests running around aimlessly for few parishioners at DM, Mount Carmel, St. Joseph, St. Mary, etc. Close it down and you will have 2 extra priests: Jacek and Klizek.
Reality

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

MsgrBadski wrote:
Many, if not most alternative worship sites will be closed in the next round of closures, plus some parishes will be shut outright. You can this expect pattern to continue for maybe another ten years. Priests are getting older and few and you simply can't expect them to carry on as they were in their younger years. Also, even at large attendance masses, the churches tend to be only 1/3rd full.
Hopefully, the bishop acts on it now!
Reality

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Fr. Joseph Badding is retiring officially at the end of September 2013. Perhaps, Jacek can go there to be closer to his 'Polish Palazzo, in Ramsonville. Convient?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Reality wrote:
Fr. Joseph Badding is retiring officially at the end of September 2013. Perhaps, Jacek can go there to be closer to his 'Polish Palazzo, in Ramsonville. Convient?
Perfect fit. Did he apply for the Ransomville parish?

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You will never be as good as the Polish.
At lest, dat troot come it out.
Rest in Peace

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Rev. James T. Bartnik
Niagara Fancy Bakery

East Aurora, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think the Polish are very good.
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nobody in Buffalo who speaks good Italian. Leave the language alone. You will never be as good as the Polish.
Buffalo BarFly wrote:
<quoted text>
At lest, dat troot come it out.
Tak, Pan BarFly.... dat is troot! And you is it good men!
We is it good people. Maybe we don't speak it so good da English, but we are it proud people!
"Jeszcze Polska nie zginela"

http://youtu.be/gVLihJXOetw
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Rest in Peace wrote:
Rev. James T. Bartnik
Will Kmiec be celebrating the Mass of Christian Burial assisted by LiPuma or will they be barred from attending by Fr. Bartnik's family like Malone and LiPuma were from Father Joe Moreno's funeral?
Rest in Peace

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Dunkirk Connection wrote:
<quoted text>
Will Kmiec be celebrating the Mass of Christian Burial assisted by LiPuma or will they be barred from attending by Fr. Bartnik's family like Malone and LiPuma were from Father Joe Moreno's funeral?
Grosz has the funeral from St. Stan's.
Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Rest in Peace wrote:
<quoted text>
Grosz has the funeral from St. Stan's.
Just as I thought.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Yes,, some of the alternative parish sites in the Falls should be closed immediately. No need for all those priests running around aimlessly for few parishioners at DM, Mount Carmel, St. Joseph, St. Mary, etc. Close it down and you will have 2 extra priests: Jacek and Klizek.
I do not believe that the priests are overworked or underfed.

“Dorata's worthless turd”

Since: Mar 09

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Niagara Fancy Bakery wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Tak, Pan BarFly.... dat is troot! And you is it good men!
We is it good people. Maybe we don't speak it so good da English, but we are it proud people!
"Jeszcze Polska nie zginela"
http://youtu.be/gVLihJXOetw
Pani Fency,

Zink goes dem strinks by my heart.
Nice to her it from you, my goot friend.

You liff it nice town dat East Aurora.
Spent kopple years der myself by dem late 50's und early 60's.
Wass it no yuppie den, yust nice people.

Very rich mingle it wit farmer und regulars folk.
Nuff from it me.

Bye bye for now.
Talk by you later.

Your przyjaciel,
Pan BarFly
Reality

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not believe that the priests are overworked or underfed.
From 'priestly palazzo' in Ransomville to the smallest hut in the South, priests are not as busy as they claim to be.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Buffalonians are very complacent people. Ask anyone who comes to live here or tries to do business here, to change or even suggest anything different, he is met with the mantra:“But this is Buffalo!” It may not be the best place on earth, but we are happy the way we are and with the leaders we have. Freud argued that the leadership occurs because a group of people — the followers — have replaced their own narcissistic tendencies with those of the leaders, such that their love for the leaders is a disguised form of self-love. "Another person's narcissism", he said, "has a great attraction for those who have renounced part of their own... as if we envied them for maintaining a blissful state of mind." Even frogs croak happily in a muddy pond.
This is the best post on this blog in a long time. But it's very scary what you say. I feel like I'm in a muddy pond all the time and with a lot of other people except we are not happy.
Anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

According to the Houston’s Children’s Assessment Center, 500,000 babies born in the United States this year will likely be sexually abused before they turn 18. SNAP, where are thou?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Buffalo BarFly wrote:
<quoted text>
Pani Fency,
Zink goes dem strinks by my heart.
Nice to her it from you, my goot friend.
You liff it nice town dat East Aurora.
Spent kopple years der myself by dem late 50's und early 60's.
Wass it no yuppie den, yust nice people.
Very rich mingle it wit farmer und regulars folk.
Nuff from it me.
Bye bye for now.
Talk by you later.
Your przyjaciel,
Pan BarFly
It can be difficult for me to understand the Polish accent but you are a heck of a lot brighter than most think, especially when you do not swear. But that was not my point. I am old enough to remember when both Elma and East Aurora were populated by hard working people with Eastern European roots. Thanks for reminding me.
Hamburg Connection

Hamburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Father Jim certainly made life miserable for the DRE! "I am the pastor" was his mantra with everyone. People were more worried about his strange relationships with the boys in one family. He never seemed interested in the girl members of the family.
RIP father Jim!! Your in a better place!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newfoundland Discussions

Search the Newfoundland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Where can you find a good prostitute in St. Joh... (Dec '06) Tue newfie 57
ATV park takes riders through forgotten coal mi... (Oct '10) Jul 19 fandango 30
What's happening in Halton Hills on Canada Day Jul 14 2 killed in crash 2
Cell tower badly needed: Rogers Jul 14 Response to Rogers 3
The search for mental health in a pill Jun 29 STARTS WITH VACCINES 6
We asked: What does being Canadian mean to you?... Jun 27 better than Liberty 1
Widow still waiting for chopper safety change Jun '14 Survey says 1
•••
•••