Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61066 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55891 May 23, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that no one should begrudge the priest the stipends. For the case of Mothers Day and Fathers Day when numbers of Masses have stipends given, it should be made clear if the Masses are to be sent to the missions along with the stipends or its one Mass for all and the hundreds or more will be pocketed by the priest to be used for his vacations
OK, that is fine. However, what is wrong with a vacation? I am sorry but I just do not get it.
Anonymous

United States

#55892 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, that is fine. However, what is wrong with a vacation? I am sorry but I just do not get it.
Why should WE pay for his vacation. No one pays for my vacation. If I don't have the money, I stay home.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55893 May 23, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should WE pay for his vacation. No one pays for my vacation. If I don't have the money, I stay home.
Someone's money is paying for your vacation. The money you earned by working or received because of former work. What is a priest's work? What is the difference?
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55894 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that fair? There are some contemporary priests have done a good job. Can't you name some a little younger? LOL!
Yes, May< I could Gallivan, Faraci, Smith, Cobel. Osiander, Caliguiri. and a few others. There are still some good ones. I could even think of a few nice things about Slubecky, who many people and priests despise.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55895 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone's money is paying for your vacation. The money you earned by working or received because of former work. What is a priest's work? What is the difference?
Priests deserve their vacations that's not at issue here. we all get paid for the work or services we provide. The issue is that thousands of dollars were given for Masses to be said and they are not going to be said because the priest took the money. The intentions can't be sent to the missions because the stipends are used for his own benefit and it would be impossible for this priest or any priest to say an extra 400 Masses each year that are paid for for the souls of our parents. Retired priests and missionary priests would welcome the opportunity to celebrate these Masses
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55896 May 23, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, May< I could Gallivan, Faraci, Smith, Cobel. Osiander, Caliguiri. and a few others. There are still some good ones. I could even think of a few nice things about Slubecky, who many people and priests despise.
I would like to add Bill Bigelow, Doug May (Maryknoll), Roy Herberger,and Vincent Carroll (Franciscan). Before someone I know has a stroke, Bigelow may be controversial, he is a personal choice. He is a good priest and understands canon law.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55897 May 23, 2013
That a certain priest who died recently and was even the favorite of certain bishops, got a far as he did, despite being gay, raises doubts about the psychological evaluation of priests in the DOB. Surely someone must have seen his problem. What was the supposed "psychiatric" exams at Msgr. Carr about? Zahm did whatever Whitney told him to do, in frequent conflict with Father Gerencser. They were not looking for emotionally stable individuals, but rather people they could trust to stay in line and not rock the boat.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55898 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I would like to add Bill Bigelow, Doug May (Maryknoll), Roy Herberger,and Vincent Carroll (Franciscan). Before someone I know has a stroke, Bigelow may be controversial, he is a personal choice. He is a good priest and understands canon law.
I think you're right, Mary. I know Bigelow and Herberger were well regarded in the parishes, in which they served.
Anonymous

United States

#55899 May 23, 2013
The Pentagon reported 26 thousand sexual abuses in the Armed Forces in 2012, with 3 thousand being prosecuted.
Details in all media soon.
Secrets

Buffalo, NY

#55900 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I also have felt your frustration over the years. However, I have seen Masses in the bulletin that I forgot I got. That's how long it takes. Keep in mind, a lot of times the recently deceased families want extra Masses on certain days especially in the first few years. Most parishes attempt to accommodate that. I have had Masses I requested said 5 years later.
I know nothing about PHD so I shall not comment.
The trouble is that for Mike, he has been taking the Mass money from the envelopes of Mothers Day and Fathers Day and using it for his own personal needs. Because parishioners are under the impression they are giving for Masses, what in effect Mike is doing is stealing or embezzlement. Its not any different from what others have done in the parish where they stole funds. Mike apparently does not feel he is accountable to anyone, he is using it for himself. He is also not declaring it to the IRS. You have to admit,$6,000 in one year is sizeable sum of money. The DOB needs to do an audit and ask Mike what he did with this money. If they don't do it, I may call the DA myself and let them know about Mike's little secret.
anon

Buffalo, NY

#55901 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Billy Bigs had problems in most parishes he was assigned.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55902 May 23, 2013
Secrets wrote:
<quoted text>
The trouble is that for Mike, he has been taking the Mass money from the envelopes of Mothers Day and Fathers Day and using it for his own personal needs. Because parishioners are under the impression they are giving for Masses, what in effect Mike is doing is stealing or embezzlement. Its not any different from what others have done in the parish where they stole funds. Mike apparently does not feel he is accountable to anyone, he is using it for himself. He is also not declaring it to the IRS. You have to admit,$6,000 in one year is sizeable sum of money. The DOB needs to do an audit and ask Mike what he did with this money. If they don't do it, I may call the DA myself and let them know about Mike's little secret.
I am confused. Didn't he get an award from the official Polish newspaper?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55903 May 23, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Billy Bigs had problems in most parishes he was assigned.
LOL! that didn't take long!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55904 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, like Artie and most priests, he receives unearned awards.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55905 May 23, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> I think you're right, Mary. I know Bigelow and Herberger were well regarded in the parishes, in which they served.
Phil sounds out of touch!

Bigelow had problems galore.

Have you forgot the very public problems that caused his removal from a certain parish? Hint: Duane Klizak and Sister Rachel.

Or the mass exodus from Holy Family when he caused tremendous upset?

Or when he was serving as administrator during Joe Fiore's absence and again caused upheaval in that parish?

Or the feud in Warsaw?

Etc., etc., etc.

Glad to see Phil is well informed.
Polonia Phil

Saint James, NY

#55906 May 23, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Phil sounds out of touch!
Bigelow had problems galore.
Have you forgot the very public problems that caused his removal from a certain parish? Hint: Duane Klizak and Sister Rachel.
Or the mass exodus from Holy Family when he caused tremendous upset?
Or when he was serving as administrator during Joe Fiore's absence and again caused upheaval in that parish?
Or the feud in Warsaw?
Etc., etc., etc.
Glad to see Phil is well informed.
Yes, I am aware of at least some of these problems, but there are some people who still say nice things about Bigelow, in several parishes, where he served.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55907 May 23, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, I am aware of at least some of these problems, but there are some people who still say nice things about Bigelow, in several parishes, where he served.
I would not take these ramblings too seriously. The HF stuff is crap. I happen to know many parishioners there that really loved having him. This bitter person finds nothing good about anyone. Maybe it is their personal circumstances that make them so bitter
AmPol Eagle

Buffalo, NY

#55908 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone is trying to figure out what qualified him for any kind of award - especially a "Polish" award, since he doesn't even have the ability to pronounce his name in Polish. Perhaps he received it for serving champagne at St. Mary's when it was announced the Polish Church of Niagara Falls was closing. But if it wasn't for that, it might have been for being the biggest clerical lush in the DOB. And for this he would be very deserving. His staff claims he has about 4-6 very strong Manhattans every day. They get a kick out of watching him stir his drink with his finger. Hopefully, he washed it before stirring! Maybe he didn't and he prefers it that way, sort of like the bitters that go into a Manhattan. He definitely needs help controlling his out-of-control drinking habits!
Pot Calls Kettle

Buffalo, NY

#55909 May 23, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I would not take these ramblings too seriously. The HF stuff is crap. I happen to know many parishioners there that really loved having him. This bitter person finds nothing good about anyone. Maybe it is their personal circumstances that make them so bitter
Art, read your past posts!
Pot Calls Kettle

Buffalo, NY

#55910 May 23, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, I am aware of at least some of these problems, but there are some people who still say nice things about Bigelow, in several parishes, where he served.
There are some people who say nice things about the other priests you criticize too! So, I've missed your point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Sat Dying Smoker 2
JUSTIN TRUDEAU ! Already a World Statesman ! (Nov '15) Sat Dying Smoker 2
News Moose beating remains a mystery (Aug '09) Sat Dying Smoker 2
News Letter: Most-used libraries among those slated ... May '16 wabush-mines-clos... 1
News Ryan Snoddon: May 24th weekend is looking prett... May '16 Mother Nature 1
News Grant Tapper: charged with sexually assaulting ... (Aug '08) May '16 Sinja 65
News Trudeau government to kick off new pipeline rev... May '16 CBC GEY NEWS at 11 1
More from around the web