Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61131 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Noper Doper

Buffalo, NY

#55608 Apr 25, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
Mary o Magdala is probably a nun, living in south Buffalo. internal evidence indicates that Mary of Magdala is not Art Smith.
Umm.. sounds good, but NOPER!!!!!!!!!

Mary and Artie are one and the same.

When Artie was away, Mary had a matching IP for that unnamed place (I'm being kind to you, Artie).

When Artie returned, Mary's IP changed to match his new locale.

And.......Artie has slipped a couple times and said some of the same things (word for word) that Mary was saying.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55609 Apr 25, 2013
Polonia Phil wrote:
Mary o Magdala is probably a nun, living in south Buffalo. internal evidence indicates that Mary of Magdala is not Art Smith.
Half correct. I should be a nun but I am not.....Anonymous and the other "ladies" are Mercy Nuns. They are not fond of the padre. He kinda got rid of one of theirs. What they do not know is that it was not his idea but a bunch of us Moms. You see that woman was as mean as a junk yard dog. I am willing to let by gones be bygones but they are not. So holy!
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55610 Apr 25, 2013
FYI...that IP stuff is true. Google your IP and see what a nut can see. You can then request that it be hidden. This is so annoying! However, Mr. and/or Ms. IP, it would make sense that our IP's are the same since we have lived pretty close to each other for years and your obnoxious thing about away does not matter to anyone but perhaps you. Move along, little one, nothing to see here!
Learn to lie better

Buffalo, NY

#55611 Apr 25, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Half correct. I should be a nun but I am not.....Anonymous and the other "ladies" are Mercy Nuns. They are not fond of the padre. He kinda got rid of one of theirs. What they do not know is that it was not his idea but a bunch of us Moms. You see that woman was as mean as a junk yard dog. I am willing to let by gones be bygones but they are not. So holy!
If your Papa was born in 1908, you were no Mom during Artie's time!

Who's fooling who?
Learn to lie better

Buffalo, NY

#55612 Apr 25, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
FYI...that IP stuff is true. Google your IP and see what a nut can see. You can then request that it be hidden. This is so annoying! However, Mr. and/or Ms. IP, it would make sense that our IP's are the same since we have lived pretty close to each other for years and your obnoxious thing about away does not matter to anyone but perhaps you. Move along, little one, nothing to see here!
You make me laugh when you write such foolishness and think you're fooling people.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55613 Apr 25, 2013
Learn to lie better wrote:
<quoted text>
If your Papa was born in 1908, you were no Mom during Artie's time!
Who's fooling who?
What the hell are you talking about? Fr. is 8 years older than I am and I am pretty sure that my 5 boys consider me their mom BUT you probably know better, Sister!
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55614 Apr 25, 2013
I am far more interested that this is not lost in the nonsense!

In the Trenches wrote:

<quoted text>
The Bokenkotter book has few citations so it doesn't really qualify as a critical academic text, but it's interestingly written and worth reading, even if a used edition.
As for lib theology, the CDF issued a document back in the '80's or early '90's that's worth a look; It's at: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregatio ...(I taught a course in contemporary Christian spirituality so I had it handy).

OK, you most assuredly sent a critical academic text! LOL! I will get back to you on that one, in about a month. I am sure your course ran longer than that. However, I came across two competing articles about the new pope on Slate.com . One by Michael Dougherty and the other by Abby Ohlheise. The question is: Will Francis make changes or not? Ohlheise's article's premise is that although he was silent on the issue he could not possible be against liberation theology and will effect change. Her premise is that all Jesuits are secret Liberation theologists.(I am paraphrasing) Dougherty, who is much more conservative takes the position that he is a mere place holder and will accomplish little or nothing. He goes so far as to state that Benedict was forced out by the Curia so that they did not have to make any changes. Do you have an opinion on all this?
Closings

Wilson, NY

#55615 Apr 25, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Sister Destructo!
Are any churches closing soon in Buffalo, Lackawanna, Dunkirk, Batavia, Niagara Falls, and other towns around the diocese?
Closings

Wilson, NY

#55616 Apr 25, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Tell us Dunkirk Connection what you know about Fr. Simon Shaner who used to be a Corpus Christi.
Word from Doylestown PA is that he is leaving the Pauline order. Can you shed any light Oh wise one?
You have hit the nail on the head with the last three. I thought he just went to Australia just 1 1/2 yrs ago.
Are things that bad in that order of Religious?
Another 'white vestal' leaving the priesthood?
In the Trenches

Aix-en-provence, France

#55617 Apr 25, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, you most assuredly sent a critical academic text! LOL! I will get back to you on that one, in about a month. I am sure your course ran longer than that. However, I came across two competing articles about the new pope on Slate.com . One by Michael Dougherty and the other by Abby Ohlheise. The question is: Will Francis make changes or not? Ohlheise's article's premise is that although he was silent on the issue he could not possible be against liberation theology and will effect change. Her premise is that all Jesuits are secret Liberation theologists.(I am paraphrasing) Dougherty, who is much more conservative takes the position that he is a mere place holder and will accomplish little or nothing. He goes so far as to state that Benedict was forced out by the Curia so that they did not have to make any changes. Do you have an opinion on all this?
(Sorry about the delay, but the six hour time change can be a headache sometimes)

Yes, the CDF article is rather "meaty" but it does illustrate the concerns of the Vatican about the lib theology movement as of 1980. Even simply scanning down the document and stopping here and there gives a good idea of their concerns.

As for why Pope Benedict left office, I suspect that it was a combination of factors. His declining health had to be a major consideration for him, though. He had been present for the last years of John Paul II and perhaps didn't want the Church to once again undergo that long state of limbo, given the crises of our time. Assuming that health was the primary one for his resignation, I admire him for his courage to do so.

Pope Fran├žois will be very respectful of Church tradition; the challenge is that the tradition runs for two thousand plus years. How one engages the tradition depends on how one regards essential points such as God in Christian tradition, Jesus as God in the world, the mission of the Church, etc.
Warsaw Phil

Saint James, NY

#55618 Apr 26, 2013
Closings wrote:
<quoted text>Are any churches closing soon in Buffalo, Lackawanna, Dunkirk, Batavia, Niagara Falls, and other towns around the diocese?
Yes, but I don't have all the details yet. There are not enough priests, and what few they have are gradually getting exhausted. Dowdell and Sabo, two of the better priests in the DOB are retiting soon. The future doesn't look all that good. And the seminary?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55619 Apr 26, 2013
Warsaw Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, but I don't have all the details yet. There are not enough priests, and what few they have are gradually getting exhausted. Dowdell and Sabo, two of the better priests in the DOB are retiting soon. The future doesn't look all that good. And the seminary?
I hear NF is on the radar again. Which ones?
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55620 Apr 26, 2013
Closings wrote:
<quoted text>Are any churches closing soon in Buffalo, Lackawanna, Dunkirk, Batavia, Niagara Falls, and other towns around the diocese?
Just Corpus Christi that I know of.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55621 Apr 26, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Clueless? Not as clueless as you think. Don't stick your head in the sand. NO ONE is immuned.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55622 Apr 26, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Artie couldn't get along with his school principals. He wanted to get close to kids and their watchful eyes got in his way. But, the last principal spanked him like a baby and out his butt went. He messed with the wrong principal! Now, Artie is confined to a nursing home and can't be in a parish.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55623 Apr 26, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell are you talking about? Fr. is 8 years older than I am and I am pretty sure that my 5 boys consider me their mom BUT you probably know better, Sister!
Mary (Artie):

Come now, that would mean your Papa was over 45 years old when you were born.

A little hard to believe!

Then, you would have been 45 when Artie was named pastor and by the time the problems came about, even older.

A little old (particularly at that time) to have elementary school children.

And then, many of your statements on the blog are contradictory (go back and do some reading.

Combine that, with nobody recalls anyone who like you being around, and what you describe being totally bogus = Mary (Artie) telling lots of lies on here.

Do you really feel that low that you need affirmation from the blog people?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55624 Apr 26, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary (Artie):
Come now, that would mean your Papa was over 45 years old when you were born.
A little hard to believe!
Then, you would have been 45 when Artie was named pastor and by the time the problems came about, even older.
A little old (particularly at that time) to have elementary school children.
And then, many of your statements on the blog are contradictory (go back and do some reading.
Combine that, with nobody recalls anyone who like you being around, and what you describe being totally bogus = Mary (Artie) telling lots of lies on here.
Do you really feel that low that you need affirmation from the blog people?
LOL! Sister? you are like a dog with a bone! OMG! Everything you are trying to prove is not true actually is and you have laid it out quite nicely (you are a year or two off but not by much.) I am concerned that you are so consumed with hatred for Fr. I am not sure that is healthy. What exactly do you believe he did to you to incur this unhealthy and frightening anger?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#55625 Apr 26, 2013
Just because I am so proud of him.....My Dad was 45 when I was born and I am the oldest! LOL!
(P.S. only married once to my Mom for 55 years)
Closings

Wilson, NY

#55626 Apr 26, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Clueless? Not as clueless as you think. Don't stick your head in the sand. NO ONE is immuned.
Just keep your head in Disney Land!
Closings

Wilson, NY

#55627 Apr 26, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Definitely! No question about it! Face the reality, you pastors!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thinking of moving to Newfoundland - help and a... (Jan '07) Jun 30 Quidi Vidi kid 85
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun 25 Dying Smoker 2
JUSTIN TRUDEAU ! Already a World Statesman ! (Nov '15) Jun 25 Dying Smoker 2
News Moose beating remains a mystery (Aug '09) Jun 25 Dying Smoker 2
News Letter: Most-used libraries among those slated ... May '16 wabush-mines-clos... 1
News Ryan Snoddon: May 24th weekend is looking prett... May '16 Mother Nature 1
News Grant Tapper: charged with sexually assaulting ... (Aug '08) May '16 Sinja 65
More from around the web