Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

Full story: WGRZ Buffalo

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Comments (Page 2,693)

Showing posts 53,841 - 53,860 of58,525
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
In the Trenches

Aix-en-provence, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2013

Judged:

Polish Natiional wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the heads of the Congregations and Pontifical Council,
you can see that the Curia is as European as commonly believed.
Besides, Europe is hardly a cultural unity and it is not a political entity for sure.
The 8 sages will meet in October. They have a lot of things on their plate. Will governance be decentralized? John Paul II asked for suggestions on how to share the Petrine ministry. Perhaps Francis is accepting some of those suggestions.
True, many of the heads are non-European, but so much of the internal culture is, which may always be a pesky problem..... Another sign that the holy father has a broader horizon is that the martyred Archbishop Romero is being reconsidered for beatification. Among clergy considered as liberationist (hence criticized by Rome), he was much more balanced and showed great courage when he stayed with his people and spoke out against Salvadoran government oppression, resulting in his being shot while celebrating Mass in the 1980s. You can read more about this at: http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/francis-... For those who don't care for the NCR, I know that there are other reports as well.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm familiar with South Buffalo and the old Regions that the Diocese had set up prior to the vicariate structure. The parishes in the Ward weren't among the Region 8 - South Buffalo parishes. Daybreak Productions did a video on "The Seven Churches of South Buffalo." Those included were St. Teresa's, then Holy Family, St. John's, St. Agatha's, St. Martin's, St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Ambrose. The Daybreak video said that St. Teresa's was the Mother Church of South Buffalo. If St. Teresa's is considered the Mother Church then the parishes in the Ward can't be included since they are older. I must agree that I too never would consider the First Ward as part of traditional South Buffalo.
The First Ward/The Valley call themselves just that they don't call themselves South Buffalo. Same thing with Seneca-Babcock.St. John's was South Buffalo but the school's been closed for 30 years.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Polish Natiional wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the heads of the Congregations and Pontifical Council,
you can see that the Curia is as European as commonly believed.
Besides, Europe is hardly a cultural unity and it is not a political entity for sure.
The 8 sages will meet in October. They have a lot of things on their plate. Will governance be decentralized? John Paul II asked for suggestions on how to share the Petrine ministry. Perhaps Francis is accepting some of those suggestions.
I read an article the other day that insinuated that The Americas banded together to dilute the European influence. However, look at the mess with the Nuns. The message seems confused. His Holiness will have to be firm if he is to succeed as I doubt the old regime is going to go quietly.
anon

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text> I read an article the other day that insinuated that The Americas banded together to dilute the European influence. However, look at the mess with the Nuns. The message seems confused. His Holiness will have to be firm if he is to succeed as I doubt the old regime is going to go quietly.
The Church is on life support, it is slipping deeper into a coma.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not believe this is true. There is hope with the new pope. It will not be easy but it would certainly be well worth it.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm familiar with South Buffalo and the old Regions that the Diocese had set up prior to the vicariate structure. The parishes in the Ward weren't among the Region 8 - South Buffalo parishes. Daybreak Productions did a video on "The Seven Churches of South Buffalo." Those included were St. Teresa's, then Holy Family, St. John's, St. Agatha's, St. Martin's, St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Ambrose. The Daybreak video said that St. Teresa's was the Mother Church of South Buffalo. If St. Teresa's is considered the Mother Church then the parishes in the Ward can't be included since they are older. I must agree that I too never would consider the First Ward as part of traditional South Buffalo.
Question: What was the first Church south of the city of Buffalo?
Question: When did the phrase Region 8 start being used?
Question: Which Daybreak do you refer to?(The original or the profaned?)
Question: Who ever said Theresa's was the "Mother Church?
Question: What Irish bishop pissed off the Germans by moving the Church?
I enjoy discussions and do not mind being challenged but please know what you are talking about. You date yourself by acting like St. John's was ancient. I went to HS with people from there.
Polish Natiional

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

In the Trenches wrote:
<quoted text>
True, many of the heads are non-European, but so much of the internal culture is, which may always be a pesky problem..... Another sign that the holy father has a broader horizon is that the martyred Archbishop Romero is being reconsidered for beatification. Among clergy considered as liberationist (hence criticized by Rome), he was much more balanced and showed great courage when he stayed with his people and spoke out against Salvadoran government oppression, resulting in his being shot while celebrating Mass in the 1980s. You can read more about this at: http://ncronline.org/blogs/ncr-today/francis-... For those who don't care for the NCR, I know that there are other reports as well.
It was not really a European point of vew.
John Paul II had many reservations about Liberation Theology because many were (are?) embracing a Marxist phylosophy. Priest and nuns favored and even joined the armed guerilla which pitted Mays tribe against eacg other in Equador, Gatemala and elsewhere. The CIA (=American Government) was very much unvolved in preventing a revolution which aimed at protecting the rights of the farmers against the landlords supported by the big foreign corporations, especially from USA.

In the Trenches

Aix-en-provence, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Polish Natiional wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not really a European point of vew.
John Paul II had many reservations about Liberation Theology because many were (are?) embracing a Marxist phylosophy. Priest and nuns favored and even joined the armed guerilla which pitted Mays tribe against eacg other in Equador, Gatemala and elsewhere. The CIA (=American Government) was very much unvolved in preventing a revolution which aimed at protecting the rights of the farmers against the landlords supported by the big foreign corporations, especially from USA.
A number of liberation theologians (such as Leonardo Boff) did embrace marxism to a shocking degree, saying that violence was sometimes necessary for structural change and the Church was in effect irrelevant. Romero was more respectful of Church authority, while at the same time knowing when he had to take a step away from the hierarchy's support of the economic status quo.
In the Trenches

Aix-en-provence, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
We've been in worse shape, believe me. A good read on Church history is a classic from Thomas Bokenkotter (spelling?), "A Concise History of the Catholic Church". Personally, I'm amazed that we've held together for so long. It really leads me to believe that the Holy Spirit is in charge, after all.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Question: What was the first Church south of the city of Buffalo?
Question: When did the phrase Region 8 start being used?
Question: Which Daybreak do you refer to?(The original or the profaned?)
Question: Who ever said Theresa's was the "Mother Church?
Question: What Irish bishop pissed off the Germans by moving the Church?
I enjoy discussions and do not mind being challenged but please know what you are talking about. You date yourself by acting like St. John's was ancient. I went to HS with people from there.
Answer:St. Stephen's on Elk Street until South Buffalo became established.
Answer: When Bishop Head established regions, upon the recommendation of the then Priest Senate. The Priest Senate Sub Committee divided groups up based on their particular communities. Msgr.. Nugent was quite active in this particular project and chaired the group. Wm. Stanton was listed as Vice Chair.
Answer: Art, the one you were not associated with. Does that make the video and all the people interviewed wrong? Of course it does, because YOU say so.
Answer: It's been referred to it as the Mother Church in various publications of churches which were carved out of Teresa's original territory. There is also a letter in the archives of Holy Family in which Nelson Baker, as Vicar General calls Holy Family a "daughter" of St. Teresa's. Msgr. Shaw claimed that Msgr. John J. Nash, who had a rocky relationship with Baker, did not appreciate the reference. Nash viewed Holy Family as the Premier Parish in South Buffalo.
Answer: Irish Bishops pissed off many Germans. Are you referring to Dougherty who moved them to St. John's or Quigley who started St. Teresa's? Again, you are vague and expect others to view things your way.

You may enjoy discussions, but you seldom know what you are talking about and you define fact based upon what you deem to be fact.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Many years ago, as families progressed, many would move from their smaller roomed homes in the Ward to South Buffalo. They had an old saying when they arrived in South Buffalo, it went:

"You can take the boy (or girl)out of the Ward, but you can't take the Ward out of the boy (or girl).

Another saying was:

"I'm as proud as the Lord, I was born in the Ward."
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer:St. Stephen's on Elk Street until South Buffalo became established.
Answer: When Bishop Head established regions, upon the recommendation of the then Priest Senate. The Priest Senate Sub Committee divided groups up based on their particular communities. Msgr.. Nugent was quite active in this particular project and chaired the group. Wm. Stanton was listed as Vice Chair.
Answer: Art, the one you were not associated with. Does that make the video and all the people interviewed wrong? Of course it does, because YOU say so.
Answer: It's been referred to it as the Mother Church in various publications of churches which were carved out of Teresa's original territory. There is also a letter in the archives of Holy Family in which Nelson Baker, as Vicar General calls Holy Family a "daughter" of St. Teresa's. Msgr. Shaw claimed that Msgr. John J. Nash, who had a rocky relationship with Baker, did not appreciate the reference. Nash viewed Holy Family as the Premier Parish in South Buffalo.
Answer: Irish Bishops pissed off many Germans. Are you referring to Dougherty who moved them to St. John's or Quigley who started St. Teresa's? Again, you are vague and expect others to view things your way.
You may enjoy discussions, but you seldom know what you are talking about and you define fact based upon what you deem to be fact.
With all due respect, little of what you said is correct, however, with your comment about Daybreak I see you have an agenda so I shall not waste my time correcting you except it was Holy Family that was the Mother Church and NEVER speak of Fr. Baker....you know nothing about him.
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

In the Trenches wrote:
<quoted text>
We've been in worse shape, believe me. A good read on Church history is a classic from Thomas Bokenkotter (spelling?), "A Concise History of the Catholic Church". Personally, I'm amazed that we've held together for so long. It really leads me to believe that the Holy Spirit is in charge, after all.
I apologize for being distracted. I shall look at your suggestion above and reply latter. I know better than to engage but sometimes I can not help it! LOL!
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
With all due respect, little of what you said is correct, however, with your comment about Daybreak I see you have an agenda so I shall not waste my time correcting you except it was Holy Family that was the Mother Church and NEVER speak of Fr. Baker....you know nothing about him.
Unless you are related to Nash. Hmmm, is this you sister? LOL!
Warsaw Phil

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

The future of St. Columban's Retreat House? Is the DOB going to be able to maintain it?
Warsaw Phil

West Milford, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Am I wrong or are people getting less reticent about expressing their fears about, or even animosity towards Islam?
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Warsaw Phil wrote:
Am I wrong or are people getting less reticent about expressing their fears about, or even animosity towards Islam?
Seems that way however, I really think they get a bad rep. These two clowns are a disgrace. I had kids tell me the younger one was a pot-head before the news broke it and the older one has a loose screw. I know some very lovely devout Muslim people and I feel bad for them.
Osama Bin Laden

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
I know some very lovely devout Muslim people and I feel bad for them.
Thank you!
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Art,

1.) I know an abundance about Fr. Baker....not that it means anything.

2.) If St. Teresa's started in 1897 and Holy Family started in 1902 ( a simple look at the Catholic Directory will prove this), I think this again shows you don't accept truth as a valid answer. It's your own fantasy world that we're all suppose to accept, instead of the reality of the facts.

3.) You won't waste your time correcting me because you know I backed you into a corner that you can't get out of. You have been proven a BSer. Like your homilies, you ramble on and say very little.

4.) You can say you are not Art, but you know that you are, so why deny it.
Lindrus Trippanostrum

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2013

Judged:

I have it on a good law office source that a contract of sale is being circulated transferring St. Adelberts to "Al Mosjihem Synagogue of Allah in Lyberia, Inc."
Watch the snews for the transaction.
Caught.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 53,841 - 53,860 of58,525
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newfoundland Discussions

Search the Newfoundland Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
ATV park takes riders through forgotten coal mi... (Oct '10) Jul 19 fandango 30
Where can you find a good prostitute in St. Joh... (Dec '06) Jul 16 richard 56
What's happening in Halton Hills on Canada Day Jul 14 2 killed in crash 2
Cell tower badly needed: Rogers Jul 14 Response to Rogers 3
The search for mental health in a pill Jun 29 STARTS WITH VACCINES 6
We asked: What does being Canadian mean to you?... Jun 27 better than Liberty 1
Widow still waiting for chopper safety change Jun 23 Survey says 1
•••
•••