Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

Full story: WGRZ Buffalo

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.
Comments
53,821 - 53,840 of 58,656 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Buffalo - NY

Buffalo, NY

#55542 Apr 20, 2013
They closed all the Cheektowaga catholic schools down 6 years ago, without blinking. Nothing should be a surprise in the Journey of Faith and Disgrace..
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
So....your point? South Buffalo should not have Catholic schools? Don't you think going from 10 to 1 is a bit extreme? Oh, I will pass on your good wishes for Fr.'s recovery even if he is all ready recovered! However, I am not sure how much talking he did in the last two months. Trying to pretend you know him? LOL!
Not True

Buffalo, NY

#55543 Apr 20, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
So....your point? South Buffalo should not have Catholic schools? Don't you think going from 10 to 1 is a bit extreme? Oh, I will pass on your good wishes for Fr.'s recovery even if he is all ready recovered! However, I am not sure how much talking he did in the last two months. Trying to pretend you know him? LOL!
There were only 7 parishes in South Buffalo, so there could not have been 10 schools. Currently, they are going from 3 schools to 1. I don't see a problem with that as their enrollments were very low. South Buffalo has 1 police station, 1 library, 1 hospital, 1 boys catholic high school, 1 girls catholic high school, etc. So, since busing is being provided, I don't see what would be the problem with one school that will serve all those who would like a Catholic school education.

On another note, the schools don't do much to fill church pews because most Catholic school families do not go to church on Sunday. For that matter, most Catholic school teachers don't go to Church on Sunday. Catholic schools exist because most of their families want to keep their children out of the public school. Religion has little to do with most peoples choice in sending their children to a Catholic school.
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55544 Apr 21, 2013
Buffalo - NY wrote:
They closed all the Cheektowaga catholic schools down 6 years ago, without blinking. Nothing should be a surprise in the Journey of Faith and Disgrace..
<quoted text>
They should close bowling alleys in the East Side Churches and focus on going to Church instead.
Mary of Magdela

Salamanca, NY

#55545 Apr 21, 2013
Not True wrote:
<quoted text>
There were only 7 parishes in South Buffalo, so there could not have been 10 schools. Currently, they are going from 3 schools to 1. I don't see a problem with that as their enrollments were very low. South Buffalo has 1 police station, 1 library, 1 hospital, 1 boys catholic high school, 1 girls catholic high school, etc. So, since busing is being provided, I don't see what would be the problem with one school that will serve all those who would like a Catholic school education.
On another note, the schools don't do much to fill church pews because most Catholic school families do not go to church on Sunday. For that matter, most Catholic school teachers don't go to Church on Sunday. Catholic schools exist because most of their families want to keep their children out of the public school. Religion has little to do with most peoples choice in sending their children to a Catholic school.
7 parishes? Don't forget the Ward and St. John's. It's Ok, you are young. Also, there are 2 libraries.(Dudley and Caz) I knew you were young by your comment. Do you understand that by ignoring the Church, you are destroying the very schools you desire. Also, if you think St. Martin's is big enough for the entire community, you are incorrect.
Polonia Phil

Mohegan Lake, NY

#55546 Apr 21, 2013
The reason why there are no churches is because there are no priests. What is the DOB doing to get new recruits? When you see the current crop of priests in the DOB, it is hard to attract anyone.(At least a few of the current seminarians do have impressive backgrounds, but there is only one ordination scheduled this year.)
In the Trenches

Aix-en-provence, France

#55547 Apr 21, 2013
There's a 4th Sunday of Easter homily by Boston's Cardinal O'Malley that some might find interesting, at: http://www.whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com
("We Must Build A Civilization of Love, Or There Will Be No Civilization At All" ). Just scroll down a bit and you'll find the video where's he's reflecting on Boston's violent week.

Bonne semaine à tout le monde!
Anonymous

United States

#55548 Apr 21, 2013
In the Trenches wrote:
There's a 4th Sunday of Easter homily by Boston's Cardinal O'Malley that some might find interesting, at: http://www.whispersintheloggia.blogspot.com
("We Must Build A Civilization of Love, Or There Will Be No Civilization At All" ). Just scroll down a bit and you'll find the video where's he's reflecting on Boston's violent week.
Isn't it strange, and all telling, that when there is big trouble
in our country, all politicians tourn to prayer?
As the saying goes, there are no atheirsts in the trenches.
Not True

Buffalo, NY

#55549 Apr 21, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
7 parishes? Don't forget the Ward and St. John's. It's Ok, you are young. Also, there are 2 libraries.(Dudley and Caz) I knew you were young by your comment. Do you understand that by ignoring the Church, you are destroying the very schools you desire. Also, if you think St. Martin's is big enough for the entire community, you are incorrect.
Obviously, you don't know Buffalo.

The Ward is "the Ward" and South Buffalo is "South Buffalo."

The two places do not consider each other one and the same. The communities do not do things together or see the territory as stretching that far.

That's like calling "Kaisertown" a part of South Buffalo. People just don't see it that way.

So, you're stretching it to try to make your point.
Not True

Buffalo, NY

#55550 Apr 21, 2013
P.S

If you check the Buffalo and Erie County Public Library website, you'll see they no longer have a branch at Cazenovia.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55551 Apr 21, 2013
In the Trenches wrote:
Sounds nice for him to say, but I think actions speak LOUDER than words.
Mary of Magdela

Salamanca, NY

#55552 Apr 21, 2013
Not True wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, you don't know Buffalo.
The Ward is "the Ward" and South Buffalo is "South Buffalo."
The two places do not consider each other one and the same. The communities do not do things together or see the territory as stretching that far.
That's like calling "Kaisertown" a part of South Buffalo. People just don't see it that way.
So, you're stretching it to try to make your point.
The First Ward is the original South Buffalo. The children of St. Valentine's came to St. Thomas's when their school closed. Pet's was another Catholic school and then there was St. John's plus another 6. Kaisertown is east. I am not nor would I ever consider that South Buffalo however I think the valley may be included. Ok I am wrong, there were 9.
In reference to your library website point, it may be called a resource center but I just walked over there last week and it is the same old Caz.
I appreciate the correction although you managed to miss my point. Then again perhaps that is the purpose of all this nonsense.
anon

Olean, NY

#55553 Apr 21, 2013
Buffalo - NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Another post that doesn't have the facts. Mary Queen of Angels formerly Queen of Martyrs is open with over 200 students and is a very vibrant school and is located in Cheektowaga.
In the Trenches

Aix-en-provence, France

#55554 Apr 21, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds nice for him to say, but I think actions speak LOUDER than words.
I agree. His homily does a good job, I believe, of recalling us to act on this in our lives. O'Malley is also respected as one who does this in his own life, good Franciscan that he is.
Buffalo - NY

Buffalo, NY

#55555 Apr 22, 2013
I'm curious as to when this school opened. I was referring to when they closed all the schools 6 years ago... the kids at that point had NO options for cheektowaga. I'm glad to hear there is one now.
anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Another post that doesn't have the facts. Mary Queen of Angels formerly Queen of Martyrs is open with over 200 students and is a very vibrant school and is located in Cheektowaga.
Mary of Magdela

Salamanca, NY

#55556 Apr 22, 2013
In the Trenches wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. His homily does a good job, I believe, of recalling us to act on this in our lives. O'Malley is also respected as one who does this in his own life, good Franciscan that he is.

Two items I read this AM. He is looking at more women in administrative positions and less European influence in the Curia. The first item seems a little placating. The second item is very interesting. Any thoughts?
In the Trenches

Aix-en-provence, France

#55557 Apr 22, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Two items I read this AM. He is looking at more women in administrative positions and less European influence in the Curia. The first item seems a little placating. The second item is very interesting. Any thoughts?
I was happy when Pope François was elected because it was a long-awaited step toward realizing a little "less European influence", in spite of the bits of European influence in himself. He's assembled a number of reputable cardinals to advise him. It will take a while but I'm "cautiously optimistic." Anybody else?

(The hour is growing late here... "Bonne nuit à tous!")
Polish Natiional

United States

#55558 Apr 22, 2013
In the Trenches wrote:
<quoted text>
I was happy when Pope François was elected because it was a long-awaited step toward realizing a little "less European influence", in spite of the bits of European influence in himself. He's assembled a number of reputable cardinals to advise him. It will take a while but I'm "cautiously optimistic." Anybody else?
(The hour is growing late here... "Bonne nuit à tous!")
If you look at the heads of the Congregations and Pontifical Council,
you can see that the Curia is as European as commonly believed.
Besides, Europe is hardly a cultural unity and it is not a political entity for sure.
The 8 sages will meet in October. They have a lot of things on their plate. Will governance be decentralized? John Paul II asked for suggestions on how to share the Petrine ministry. Perhaps Francis is accepting some of those suggestions.
Polish Natiional

United States

#55559 Apr 22, 2013
OOOPS...
..the Curia is NOT as European as...
anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55560 Apr 22, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
The First Ward is the original South Buffalo. The children of St. Valentine's came to St. Thomas's when their school closed. Pet's was another Catholic school and then there was St. John's plus another 6. Kaisertown is east. I am not nor would I ever consider that South Buffalo however I think the valley may be included. Ok I am wrong, there were 9.
In reference to your library website point, it may be called a resource center but I just walked over there last week and it is the same old Caz.
I appreciate the correction although you managed to miss my point. Then again perhaps that is the purpose of all this nonsense.
I'm familiar with South Buffalo and the old Regions that the Diocese had set up prior to the vicariate structure. The parishes in the Ward weren't among the Region 8 - South Buffalo parishes. Daybreak Productions did a video on "The Seven Churches of South Buffalo." Those included were St. Teresa's, then Holy Family, St. John's, St. Agatha's, St. Martin's, St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Ambrose. The Daybreak video said that St. Teresa's was the Mother Church of South Buffalo. If St. Teresa's is considered the Mother Church then the parishes in the Ward can't be included since they are older. I must agree that I too never would consider the First Ward as part of traditional South Buffalo.
Anon

Olean, NY

#55561 Apr 22, 2013
Buffalo - NY wrote:
I'm curious as to when this school opened. I was referring to when they closed all the schools 6 years ago... the kids at that point had NO options for cheektowaga. I'm glad to hear there is one now.
<quoted text>
It has been opened for decades! First as Queen of Martyrs then renamed Mary Queen of Angels when it merged with students from Our Lady Help of Christians in 2003. There was ALWAYS an option!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lung Cancer Smoke Screen (Jun '09) 23 hr meverett 29
Where can you find a good prostitute in St. Joh... (Dec '06) Sun hhh 64
Time to move on from feud with Harper and MacKa... Aug 14 Mac 1
Reiko Okamoto Organ Concert, August 14, 2014, 7... Aug 14 Switches 8
.....POSTAL...UNION///Hamas... Aug 5 SHYKORA PAUL arts 1
Harper marks 100th anniversary of WWI Aug 4 Donald 1
ATV park takes riders through forgotten coal mi... (Oct '10) Jul '14 fandango 30
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Newfoundland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••