Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61247 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

warsawfil

South Amboy, NJ

#37087 Feb 22, 2011
Memo to "Lies" Yes,and don't forget to mention the atrocious bungling and cover-up of clergy sex abuse. Some of the abusers are still in the area and some priests were implicated,though they appear to be innocent.
anon

Buffalo, NY

#37088 Feb 22, 2011
In Lancaster wrote:
In Lancaster, our pastor, Father Leon Biernat was sent away. People are alluding that it involved misappropriation of funds. I don't know if that is true because we aren't told much of anything. Since we pay the bills and contribute you would think we would be told more. This Bishop Kmiec and the Diocese likes to keep their many secrets. I don't trust Bishop Kmiec or anything associated with his office.
Again, the lies. He was NOT "sent away". He is still there. He has announced he is going on a sabbatical for the summer months. When a priest goes on sabbatical it does not always -- or even mostly -- mean he's "sent away" or in some trouble.
I am not a friend or particular fan of Father Leon's...but let's be fair. The level of lies is ratcheting up. And so the Diocesan SPIN MACHINE is too. But the outright skunk liars are too much.
Misappropriation of funds?! Please! Not Leon.
We've heard that he has people who hate him...so they have apparently found a way to attack.
Crying

AOL

#37089 Feb 22, 2011
warsawfil wrote:
I can visualize Adamski,Bogacki,Kawalec,Gabals ki,Pokornowski all weeping over Polonia.
You bet they are crying; they weep over the disregard for their legacy and hard work. They weep because those to whom the torch was passed did not do the flame justice.

I suspect they weep because of the vendettas that are clearly designed tom ruin people. You can disaggree, you can get a person brought to justice and even instigate litigation if needs be, but to summarily design a campaign to ruin a person is spiritual murder and sin against the Spirit who resides in every person.

I think it is disgusting what you have done to Father David. Disagreeing with a man or his policy or his ways is one thing to insist on ruining him is quite another.
Outed

AOL

#37090 Feb 22, 2011
795 Main St wrote:
Rumors swirling... LiPuma outed, Bialkowska in trouble again, Lawrence and Gualberts both close and merge into Queen of Martyrs... Bernard's closes and Casimir's gets a Polish priest.... what's next?! Yipeee!!!!
What does that mean - LiPuma outed?

Was he tossed out?
Puma et al

AOL

#37091 Feb 22, 2011
The February 2011 Philadelphia Grand Jury report sent shock waves through the Roman Catholic clerical culture. It was not because the sexual abuse of children was (again) being uncovered and publicly exposed, but instead because Vicars for Clergy and Vicar Generals could now be (and were) indicted for child endangerment as “The Bishop’s Man.”

The Bishop’s Man is the priest who confidentially carries out the will of his Bishop or Religious Superior. His duties can involve investigating complaints, replacing a perpetrator, sending the perpetrator to a Catholic-run predator treatment facility, or even functioning as the priest perpetrator’s aftercare supervisor. In the past, if the Bishop’s Man protected the Bishop by containing the scandal, he would someday be promoted. In return, the Bishop offered complete protection.

But this time-tested system was turned on its ear with Monsignor Lynn’s criminal indictment for his actions as Cardinal Bevilacqua’s Vicar.

In seminary spiritual training, many of us had to endure the lecture on the “Rule of Benedict”:“the first step of humility, then, is that a man keeps the fear of God (timor Dei) always before his eyes and never forgets it”(RB 7. 10)

For Vicars for Clergy the rule now reads: keep the fear of the prosecutor always before your eyes and never forget it.
Another Voice

Buffalo, NY

#37092 Feb 22, 2011
This is for "Truth" who posted yesterday. Yes everything that is happening to SJG is the work of those three people who have been mentioned in these posts - Andrew, Jimmy and their ringleader Elena. Years ago Elena vowed to bring SJG and Father Dave down no matter how long it took. She is a vintictive woman. She will stop at nothing. She tried at the time Father Dan retired and Father Dave took over. It did not work. So she layed in weight and when Andrew and Jimmy left the parish in anger she joined with them to plot and plan and tell as many lies as they can. It is the three and no one else who lie constantly. I personally hope they all rot in hell.
SJG Parishioner

Hamburg, NY

#37093 Feb 22, 2011
I have just learned about Father David Bialkowski's situation. Parishioners are devastated by how this is being handled. To destroy another human being because you three people are upset with him is cruel. Shame on Bishop Kmiec and his stooges who would rather protect themselves from liability than stand up for what is right. Why doesn't Bishop Kmiec just retire and leave us alone. He is one of the most disliked Bishops and this has nothing to do with closing parishes. It has everything to do with how he did it and how he continues to do things. If he wasn't up to being Bishop, he should have told the Holy Father ----------"No"------ ----when asked to come to Buffalo. Too many chefs spoil the soup and Bishop Kmiec isn't even one of the many chefs that is cooking the soup. He's out in the dinning room waiting for somebody to serve it to him. I think I'll print my post and hand it to him when I see him at a certain event he is supposed to be at in March.
Anonymous

AOL

#37094 Feb 22, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
They lost on their decision to shut St. Adalbert's site down and at the discretion of the merged parish to sell the church building. By it being made a worship site or even an oratory........."dat ain't happening."
that is until the funds run out to try and maintain it. SJC wont be so happy paying all the bills out of their money!
Anonymous

AOL

#37095 Feb 22, 2011
SJG Parishioner wrote:
I have just learned about Father David Bialkowski's situation. Parishioners are devastated by how this is being handled. To destroy another human being because you three people are upset with him is cruel. Shame on Bishop Kmiec and his stooges who would rather protect themselves from liability than stand up for what is right. Why doesn't Bishop Kmiec just retire and leave us alone. He is one of the most disliked Bishops and this has nothing to do with closing parishes. It has everything to do with how he did it and how he continues to do things. If he wasn't up to being Bishop, he should have told the Holy Father ----------"No"------ ----when asked to come to Buffalo. Too many chefs spoil the soup and Bishop Kmiec isn't even one of the many chefs that is cooking the soup. He's out in the dinning room waiting for somebody to serve it to him. I think I'll print my post and hand it to him when I see him at a certain event he is supposed to be at in March.
Does anyone know where Fr David is right now? My aunt called the rectory today and they told her that he was at "some retirement home" and that there would be more in the bulletin. Announce and leave immediately is really strange. I bet Fr David just didnt want to have anything to do with the merger and closing!
white

AOL

#37096 Feb 22, 2011
warsawfil wrote:
BTW,does anyone know where William White is? Is he stll alive? Some of his victims are looking for him.
White William F. 1968 P Accused Diocesan 11 men have accused White of abuse between 1961 & 1993 when they were teens. Placed on leave in 1993. Diocese had complaints in 1979. In 1987 the Church received more complaints when family reported he had tried to molest 2 brothers on the night of their father's wake.
suspension

AOL

#37097 Feb 22, 2011
Suspension of a member of the clergy is also a penalty imposed for violation of a criminal law. The effects of it are similar to dismissal from the clerical state inasmuch as the priest or deacon is not permitted to function in public ministry. However, suspension does not remove the cleric from the clerical state. He remains a member of the clergy even if he is not exercising any functions associated with it. Additionally, whereas dismissal is a permanent penalty, suspension is not. It is imposed so long as the reasons for its imposition remain. To offer one example, if a priest is suspended due to illegitimate behavior with a minor, the suspension remains in force, but would be lifted if the allegations are withdrawn or proven false.
suspension white

AOL

#37098 Feb 22, 2011
warsawfil

South Amboy, NJ

#37099 Feb 22, 2011
white wrote:
<quoted text>
White William F. 1968 P Accused Diocesan 11 men have accused White of abuse between 1961 & 1993 when they were teens. Placed on leave in 1993. Diocese had complaints in 1979. In 1987 the Church received more complaints when family reported he had tried to molest 2 brothers on the night of their father's wake.
Did McNulty know about the accusations,when he ordained him? Was Msgr James Campbell briefed on his background before White was sent to W. Seneca?(Campbell is a man of utmost integrity and will not tolerate nonsense.) Where has White disappeared to? White was chummy with Bob Cunningham
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#37101 Feb 22, 2011
So far, we have raised a substantial amount of money for our fight to save Father David Bialkowski. By next week, we will have selected our canon lawyer. The lawyer we are leaning toward is a religious order priest from outside the Diocese of Buffalo. We are appalled that he is being denied his right to celebrate Mass. Both the Buffalo and Cheektowaga Police have acknowledged that there are no reports or charges against him. Bishop Kmiec will be the person on the hot seat. He will be explaining to his superiors his every move in how he improperly handled this situation. This whole situation will be the bang that Bishop Kmiec leaves his stay in Buffalo with. We will be asking that the entire chancery administration be removed upon the appointment of a new bishop. We do not want Bishop Grosz to remain on and we will give very good reasons which are apparent to most people in Western New York. We have volunteers going through this blog from day one. Each volunteer has certain dates to review and print pertinent posts. These posts will be sent to the Apostolic Nuncio, so that he know the division that Bishop Kmiec's administration has caused in the Diocese of Buffalo. We do not want him here one day longer than he must be. We don't want him holding out longer so he can hope for envelopes he may get for his anniversary purse. This is costing us a lot and I mean a lot of money, but if we don't fight for this type of injustice we won't fight for anything.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#37102 Feb 22, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Does anyone know where Fr David is right now? My aunt called the rectory today and they told her that he was at "some retirement home" and that there would be more in the bulletin. Announce and leave immediately is really strange. I bet Fr David just didnt want to have anything to do with the merger and closing!
A letter will be going out to all parishioners, we already have the labels done. Don't rely on the bulletin!
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#37103 Feb 22, 2011
We have over a million dollars in the bank. When Father David came we had a debt. He has worked wonders and now we are told we can't hold a farewell party for him in our own parish facility. We were also told that the parish couldn't provide funds for the party. That will be made known to the Apostolic Nuncio too!

Don't worry about the party, we'll be having it! We can afford to go anywhere we want to go.
Huh

North Tonawanda, NY

#37104 Feb 22, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
So far, we have raised a substantial amount of money for our fight to save Father David Bialkowski. By next week, we will have selected our canon lawyer. The lawyer we are leaning toward is a religious order priest from outside the Diocese of Buffalo. We are appalled that he is being denied his right to celebrate Mass. Both the Buffalo and Cheektowaga Police have acknowledged that there are no reports or charges against him. Bishop Kmiec will be the person on the hot seat. He will be explaining to his superiors his every move in how he improperly handled this situation. This whole situation will be the bang that Bishop Kmiec leaves his stay in Buffalo with. We will be asking that the entire chancery administration be removed upon the appointment of a new bishop. We do not want Bishop Grosz to remain on and we will give very good reasons which are apparent to most people in Western New York. We have volunteers going through this blog from day one. Each volunteer has certain dates to review and print pertinent posts. These posts will be sent to the Apostolic Nuncio, so that he know the division that Bishop Kmiec's administration has caused in the Diocese of Buffalo. We do not want him here one day longer than he must be. We don't want him holding out longer so he can hope for envelopes he may get for his anniversary purse. This is costing us a lot and I mean a lot of money, but if we don't fight for this type of injustice we won't fight for anything.
What is going on here? Inquiring minds want to know. Is this the beginning of the Diocesan Revolution?
SJG Parishioner

Hamburg, NY

#37105 Feb 22, 2011
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>What is going on here? Inquiring minds want to know. Is this the beginning of the Diocesan Revolution?
I think so, I just got a phone message about an informational picket outside the church. If you don't know Father Dave you might not understand it. He is a dedicated priest who is all priest and we are thrilled to have had somebody like that here in our parish. He isn't the kind of priest who wants the spotlight on himself, but centers everything toward Christ.
SJG Parishioner

Hamburg, NY

#37106 Feb 22, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
We have over a million dollars in the bank. When Father David came we had a debt. He has worked wonders and now we are told we can't hold a farewell party for him in our own parish facility. We were also told that the parish couldn't provide funds for the party. That will be made known to the Apostolic Nuncio too!
Don't worry about the party, we'll be having it! We can afford to go anywhere we want to go.
He has been with us 15 or 16 years! What do they mean we can't have a good bye party? Are they nuts or something?
Anonymous Padre

North Tonawanda, NY

#37107 Feb 22, 2011
Anonymous wrote:
A few priests, too, expressed resentment about the bishop’s handling of the downsizing.

They spoke to The News with the stipulation that their names not be used, out of fear the bishop would retaliate.

“The consistent thing I hear is,‘He’s just in retirement mode,’” said one veteran priest.“The bishop is not a leader, to be honest with you. He’s depending too much on his court circle, if you want to call it that.”

Some priests are disillusioned but are unlikely to make any waves about it, the pastor acknowledged.

Said another priest:“He’s so easy to talk to, but he’s absolutely impervious to any kind of real discussion. Nothing has an impact on him. What I think he does is he has three or four people that he listens to, that he has as his decision-making crew, and that’s it. The impression is that he doesn’t care.”

Work far from done

Kmiec doesn’t dispute the notion that he relies on others to help him make decisions. His conversations with priests and laypeople early on were what led him to launch the restructuring, he said

Eddie U. Kmiec = the U stands for USELESS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cell tower badly needed: Rogers (Jul '14) Aug 4 billion dollar claim 6
Thinking of moving to Newfoundland - help and a... (Jan '07) Jul 28 Very-Tired 86
News Youth arrested on assault and weapons charges i... Jul 26 Pearl 1
News Anti-government activist fired for criticizing ... Jul 25 NFLD 1
News CODCO's Greg Malone to be recognized by ACTRA (Sep '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
JUSTIN TRUDEAU ! Already a World Statesman ! (Nov '15) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
News Moose beating remains a mystery (Aug '09) Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
More from around the web