Christian Church opens doors to Muslims

Mar 30, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BBC News

On a bitterly cold and snowing afternoon in Aberdeen, the doors of St John's Episcopal Church are open to hundreds of Muslim worshippers, arriving for daily prayers.

Comments
361 - 380 of 520 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2013
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2013

Judged:

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
Zimmerman is going DOWN!!!!
Angela Corey will get the conviction....but IT IS NOT in her jurisdiction. She does go to my church but NEVER speaks to anyone about an active case.
You are such a liar. You said you knew corley and talked with her in Church and found out Zimmerman was going to be charged with second degree murder before it was reported in the papers.
Were you lying then or are you lying now----LIAR?
She got any DUIs recently?? Gonna have any time for a trial?
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Then you must not be familiar with the Bible. Celecia and Seleucia are areas where Paul traveled. Read the book of ACTS. It is where Turkey and Syria meet....and LOOK at my picture. Do I look BLACK to you?
Talk about taking the bait---gobble, gobble!
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>Then you must not be familiar with the Bible. Celecia and Seleucia are areas where Paul traveled.
Well neither one is spelled like your name, so that's why I didn't recognize it. Did your mother merely misspell these towns when she told them what to put on your birth certificate or are you merely misspelling your name? I hope it's just you because I don't want to insult your mother. That wouldn't be fair to insult her for the nonsense that you speak here.
<quoted text>
Read the book of ACTS. It is where Turkey and Syria meet....and LOOK at my picture. Do I look BLACK to you?
I didn't see where you posted your picture, but is your neck red in it? Just a guess.
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2013

Judged:

Oh, wait, my mistake. I just saw your picture and your neck DOES look like it was getting a little red, and if it wasn't red yet in that pic, I hope you used some sun screen at some point during that afternoon. But I have no idea how you will prevent it from being red even if you stay out of the sun completely. Maybe you should use sun screen before you post here. Or, even better yet, use a brand new invention called education spray. It works wonders. You would be surprised. And then there is always another spray called "Eff Off" which wards off ignorance mosquitoes that have been known to cloud one's mind.

“Too Ugly to Win”

Since: May 10

Old Hag Hillary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

Zimmerman is going DOWN!!!!
Angela Corey will get the conviction....but IT IS NOT in her jurisdiction. She does go to my church but NEVER speaks to anyone about an active case.
actually SEL-I have your post saved and I sent it to the Florida Governor. I received a response back as did several people who sent the same post attached with your name. Gov. Scott has you on his radar.

“Too Ugly to Win”

Old Hag Hillary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You are such a liar. You said you knew corley and talked with her in Church and found out Zimmerman was going to be charged with second degree murder before it was reported in the papers.
yes that Jonesy is a liar--she must be retarded if she doesn't remember-that would be a good defense for her anyway.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Well neither one is spelled like your name, so that's why I didn't recognize it. Did your mother merely misspell these towns when she told them what to put on your birth certificate or are you merely misspelling your name? I hope it's just you because I don't want to insult your mother. That wouldn't be fair to insult her for the nonsense that you speak here.
<quoted text>
I didn't see where you posted your picture, but is your neck red in it? Just a guess.
Whatever happened to the person who was recommending the works of Fr. Anthony De Mello?

Wherever that person is, he is surely not present in the authorship of the post above.

Rev. Ken
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Whatever happened to the person who was recommending the works of Fr. Anthony De Mello?
Wherever that person is, he is surely not present in the authorship of the post above.
Rev. Ken
You're absolutely correct. Hey, I'm not perfect. I was in a mischievous mood last night after having a few too many drinks at the bar while watching a ball game. So I decided to take a stick and lightly poke at someone to see what reaction I would get. That's the bad side of me. I like humor and ridicule and playing with people's heads and pushing their buttons too much. Won't be the last mistake I ever make. But thanks for the reminder. I really should probably just get out of here as I am spending way too much time here. But it's so fun that I find it hard to resist.

Discipline. Discipline. Must regain control. Must see THROUGH myself. Thanks again.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
You're absolutely correct. Hey, I'm not perfect. I was in a mischievous mood last night after having a few too many drinks at the bar while watching a ball game. So I decided to take a stick and lightly poke at someone to see what reaction I would get. That's the bad side of me. I like humor and ridicule and playing with people's heads and pushing their buttons too much. Won't be the last mistake I ever make. But thanks for the reminder. I really should probably just get out of here as I am spending way too much time here. But it's so fun that I find it hard to resist.
Discipline. Discipline. Must regain control. Must see THROUGH myself. Thanks again.
You are welcome and invited to continue to post in these threads. Many of the thread topics are relevant to existing issues in our culture, society and to our personal "religious constitution." Plus, these threads sometimes cross-referencve to some other Topix Forums. So, you get a lot of response from time to time from other venues.

Take care. Don't burn yourself out and take time and care to remind people that you do have worthwhile views that can be discussed. It is all right to take some liberty with the rules. Everybody who posts on these threads does so; some more than others and in lots of different ways. Best to comment and enjoy the give and take. Best to keep posting in a conversation over the long run.

That is much the nature of the Episcopalian Christian. And, I assure you, that despite her occasional descents into acrimonious slapstick, the poster, Selecia Jones, is an Episcopalian disciple of Christ Jesus with a good heart, a sharp mind and an equally sharp finger on the keyboard.

I welcome her views here, just like I welcome yours and just like I defend my own opportunities to express opinions.

If you do happen to get shnockered from time to time and decide to come on here to make a fool of yourself, do like Joe DeCaro does. Go ahead and post your Baloney and then expect to get roundly whapped. Apparently, that's what blows his skirt up.

So, why should you and I expect to be treated any differently?

Enjoy. God Bless. None of us are perfect.

Rev. Ken
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Ken, I have a question for you, since I'm assuming you are a Reverend. Reverend comes from the word revere and it means one who is to be revered. Priests have people call them Father. So what do you think about these verses?

8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

Seeker wrote:
Ken, I have a question for you, since I'm assuming you are a Reverend. Reverend comes from the word revere and it means one who is to be revered. Priests have people call them Father. So what do you think about these verses?
8 “But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. 10 Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you will be your servant. 12 For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
Yes. I am an ordained priest. I do and have accepted the responsibility of the office. But, there is also much more to do and learn in this than I have ever imagined.

It is a social custom to call a priest or minister "Reverend So & So." When I was ordained, I understood it to be something that I was supposed to accept. At times, Jesus allowed himself to be called Rabbi or Rabbonai, "Beloved Teacher." Other times, he is openly called Lord or Master by his own disciples and he does not object. He called Himself the Son of Man. But, He also knew the position in which the Holy Spirit had placed him.

Other times, as you point out, He goes out of his way to show that you and I are his equals, in every respect, his brothers and sisters within Humanity and are to be regarded as Children of God. He even goes so far as to say, "All these things that I do, so shall you do and even greater."

Do you doubt him? Should we dismiss Him and think he was kidding? What limitation do you think he REALLY meant?

I'll tell you. He made the statement without limitation or qualification. Nevertheless, it is important for every student to accept a teacher, every disciple to accept a Master, every child to accept a parent, every apprentice to accept oversight in order to become the licensed Journeyman.

But, it is just as important for the taskmaster to define the work to be done and the practice to be learned and then when the task is done, to pay the laborer and to turn the initiate loose to be guided by his own compass, properly calibrated. The same Master and Guide must impress on the novice that this is the destiny that is being sought.

No person climbs into the cockpit of an aircraft and flies it safely without becoming an adept by extensive instruction with a qualified instructor. Otherwise, he not only risks his own life by trying to control forces beyond his capable knowledge and understanding, but he also risks the lives of his passengers and those on the ground who may find themselves in his errant flightpath.

Why? Why are we his equals? Why does he make a point of saying that the servant is actually the Greater?

It is because true authority is an intrinsic quality; a characteristic of Being. It belongs to no one, per se. It is the domain of Christ, the Anointed, the focal point of Reality. It is not something that you or I take to ourselves.

It is instead, something that we lend ourselves to and by sincerely lending and yielding, it lends itself simultaneously and symbiotically to us. The fundamentalist/literalist [Christian or Muslim] feigns that by worshipping and anchoring his or her own authority outside of theirself, referencing a deposit of "faith" in the body of Scripture, they are humbly accepting the mantle of its "Authority."

That is why they have taken to calling it the Word of the Lord.

But, this is not humility at all. In fact, it is precisely the opposite; a gross error of extreme egotism. That is an act of literally creating a "graven" image in paper and ink through conceptual word-crafting and then USING that image to wield the imputed authority.

I don't ask anybody to call me "Father," except for my own human children. My dogs worship me and there is probably nothing that I am going to do about that.

Rev. Ken
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I am an ordained priest. I do and have accepted the responsibility of the office. But, there is also much more to do and learn in this than I have ever imagined.
Well that tells me right there that you are a thinking person and an honest one at that. Excellent. I enjoy the conversation with you more and more. You are actually one of the few people that actually interests me. I've just given up with most others and merely have fun with them because I think that they deserve it. Heck, Jesus might not have made jokes like me, but he certainly had a very sharp tongue for those that he thought deserved it
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a social custom to call a priest or minister
I think it goes far deeper than that, but continue.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
"Reverend So & So." When I was ordained, I understood it to be something that I was supposed to accept. At times, Jesus allowed himself to be called Rabbi or Rabbonai, "Beloved Teacher." Other times, he is openly called Lord or Master by his own disciples and he does not object.
Well that was Jesus, right? If anybody has the right, it is only him. Here is a very obscure verse that most don't understand, but perhaps because of the nature of this conversation, you will now see it.

17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him.“Good teacher,” he asked,“what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered.“No one is good—except God alone.

Here, he was suggesting that he was God, and to call him good or teacher was not enough. But parallel this with the other verses I mentioned and it should be quite clear.

But it is also deeper than that. Nobody is good except for God. We think we are good when we make loving sacrifices, but those are actually done only in our own self interest. When a religious person does good, it is for their reward in heaven. When an atheist does good, it is to live up to an ideal they created for themselves. Jesus said, when practicing Charity, do not let the left hand know what the right is doing. Which means, stop doing things for your reward or to feel good about yourself. Do it strictly for the sake of doing it and the pure love behind it and don't even be conscious that you are even doing good, you are just naturally doing what any true loving person would do without even a second thought. Nobody can really do good. Original sin means we put our will or self interest before God's, and that's why no matter how many good things we tell ourselves that we do, it's almost impossible for us to do anything that is truly good, or something that is actually not in our self interest. That's why only the grace of God and a perfect Jesus who can do nothing but the will of God had to make the ultimate pure sacrifice. Only God can sacrifice, because there is nobody to reward God for his sacrifice.

http://www.carnatic.com/karmasaya/index.php...

I'll say more later about the rest of your post because I am very very interested in talking to you but I have to run for a little bit.

Finally an intelligent, honest, insightful person to talk to here. I've been looking for someone such as yourself on a forum. So have a little patience because I have to run right now, but I will most certainly respond to the rest of what you said. You would be surprised to hear what a self admitted jokester has to say. Things come from strange places you never expect them to come from. Nobody expected Jesus to be the way he was because it didn't fit their script.

Boy, do I have a whopper of a question to ask you later after I'm even done responding to the rest of your post. It may be the most difficult question you have ever been asked, but it just might give you the biggest, most valuable insight you have ever had as well. But then again, maybe not. Who am I to say? I just do what I do.
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

You know, I have to step aside for a moment and comment on why people marked Kens comments as so negative. That's awful of people to think, in my own humble opinion, which actually, quite often isn't as humble as I like to tell myself and i am even doing right now with my post.

Ken is merely expressing what he believes, and how does anybody know that he is wrong? This is the thing that I keep hammering on, even though I know that I am no expert myself. Is it simply because he said he was an ordained religious person? So what? They do more to help disadvantaged people people than anybody else does here, and if I'm wrong, then let anybody who marked his post that way prove me wrong. It's ridiculous. It's nothing but a bunch or preconceived attitudes.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
My mother used a combination of letter to CREATE my name. It is quite an original....I have loved it every day of my life.
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Other times, as you point out, He goes out of his way to show that you and I are his equals, in every respect, his brothers and sisters within Humanity and are to be regarded as Children of God. He even goes so far as to say, "All these things that I do, so shall you do and even greater.
Do you doubt him?[/QUOYE]

Not at all. You know the question that I asked and you were intelligent enough to know where I was going with it.

[QUOTE who="RevKen"]<quo ted text>
Should we dismiss Him and think he was kidding?
Not at all. He said what he said.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
What limitation do you think he REALLY meant? I'll tell you. He made the statement without limitation or qualification. Nevertheless, it is important for every student to accept a teacher, every disciple to accept a Master, every child to accept a parent, every apprentice to accept oversight in order to become the licensed Journeyman.
"You are only a disciple because your eyes are closed. The day you open them you will see there is nothing you can learn from me or anyone."
"What then is a Master for?"
"To make you see the uselessness of having one."
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
But, it is just as important for the taskmaster to define the work to be done and the practice to be learned and then when the task is done, to pay the laborer and to turn the initiate loose to be guided by his own compass, properly calibrated.
Kind of.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
The same Master and Guide must impress on the novice that this is the destiny that is being sought. No person climbs into the cockpit of an aircraft and flies it safely without becoming an adept by extensive instruction with a qualified instructor. Otherwise, he not only risks his own life by trying to control forces beyond his capable knowledge and understanding, but he also risks the lives of his passengers and those on the ground who may find themselves in his errant flightpath.
Well, I'm not so sure that this is a good analogy for justifying why priests are called Father. There are often "some" priests that can be more misguided than their followers, and I won't go into recent events because I don't even need to.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Why are we his equals?
The question, as per the scriptures I quoted, is why you are even supposed to be called his equal.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does he make a point of saying that the servant is actually the Greater?
Because the servant doesn't call himself greater and demand a title. It's quite clear to me. I'll have to respond to the rest in the next post as this is getting too long.
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>My mother used a combination of letter to CREATE my name. It is quite an original....I have loved it every day of my life.
Good for you.
Seeker

Billerica, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2013

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is because true authority is an intrinsic quality; a characteristic of Being. It belongs to no one, per se. It is the domain of Christ, the Anointed, the focal point of Reality. It is not something that you or I take to ourselves.[/QUOTE}

Right. I know that. Do you or the Church know that? Do you take it to heart when people are asked to call you Father? And what about confession? Why are people supposed to confess their sins to "supposed" equals?

[QUOTE who="RevKen"]<quo ted text>
It is instead, something that we lend ourselves to and by sincerely lending and yielding, it lends itself simultaneously and symbiotically to us.
Even if it is clearly spelled out in the scriptures that you are not supposed to do this? I think that Jesus was very very clear in the statement he made and that he had a very good reason for doing so.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
The fundamentalist/literalist [Christian or Muslim] feigns that by worshipping and anchoring his or her own authority outside of theirself, referencing a deposit of "faith" in the body of Scripture, they are humbly accepting the mantle of its "Authority."
That is why they have taken to calling it the Word of the Lord.
But, this is not humility at all. In fact, it is precisely the opposite; a gross error of extreme egotism. That is an act of literally creating a "graven" image in paper and ink through conceptual word-crafting and then USING that image to wield the imputed authority.
So people such as yourself that know better need to stop them? It's not a challenge, it's a sincere question.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't ask anybody to call me "Father," except for my own human children.
Well that's good, in my opinion, but the question is about why religions demand that their followers do this.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
My dogs worship me and there is probably nothing that I am going to do about that.
Rev. Ken
Well that's true, you can't tell a DOG not to do that.

Hey Ken, do you remember what Jesus said about the narrow gate? If you are following what is popular, then what does that statement mean to you?

Anyway, that's not the hard question that I promised that I will ask you. That will come later.

“Too Ugly to Win”

Old Hag Hillary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Forward every thing to Alan Dershowitz. Sel needs to help the state of Florida arrest and try Corey. Sel said Corey told her. Certainly was a surprise that what Corey told Sel came to pass long before anyone else knew. Disgusting.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>Forward every thing to Alan Dershowitz. Sel needs to help the state of Florida arrest and try Corey. Sel said Corey told her. Certainly was a surprise that what Corey told Sel came to pass long before anyone else knew. Disgusting.
And with her help and the ability to subpeona records...your arse is MINE!

“Too Ugly to Win”

Old Hag Hillary

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>And with her help and the ability to subpeona records...your arse is MINE!
LOL-you are such a joke. So now Corey is going to help you? Sel quit posting I am tired of sending your crap to the people in charge.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newfoundland Discussions

Search the Newfoundland Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings ... (Oct '07) 11 hr msgrbadski 58,544
Where can you find a good prostitute in St. Joh... (Dec '06) Jul 22 newfie 57
ATV park takes riders through forgotten coal mi... (Oct '10) Jul 19 fandango 30
What's happening in Halton Hills on Canada Day Jul 14 2 killed in crash 2
Cell tower badly needed: Rogers Jul 14 Response to Rogers 3
The search for mental health in a pill Jun 29 STARTS WITH VACCINES 6
We asked: What does being Canadian mean to you?... Jun '14 better than Liberty 1
•••
•••