Christian Church opens doors to Muslims

Christian Church opens doors to Muslims

There are 520 comments on the BBC News story from Mar 30, 2013, titled Christian Church opens doors to Muslims. In it, BBC News reports that:

On a bitterly cold and snowing afternoon in Aberdeen, the doors of St John's Episcopal Church are open to hundreds of Muslim worshippers, arriving for daily prayers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BBC News.

SHADOW

Boerne, TX

#329 May 23, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
I am the GREAT I AM....
Not you chunky, you are the great STALKER--and you tell people you are being stalked when you are the "head" stalker.
<quoted text>
They are on 'whispers get loud....' thread. Need
a link let me know.
<quoted text>I could find out anything I want about anyone on here. I just do it for sport. I have actually become quite good at it. I missed my calling as a private eye.
<quoted text>I have a fun thread for you...I'll post the link.
<quoted text> Howdy Satan...The Debil is on Vacation...Can't wait for him to get back so that He can meet you. I see TAG TEAM of the CENTURY!!!
<quoted text>Come on over the the Jacksonville, FL threads...use 32206 as the zipcode...It is priceless.
<quoted text>KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!!!! DON'T LET up....
Satan...you really ought to come over to Defeating Hate Talk Radio....it is a hoot and a half.
<quoted text>You have arrived right on time...we are going to play a new game.
<quoted text>Hey get over here...OPEN SEASON ON TEATARDS!!!!

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#330 May 23, 2013
fetch almighty wrote:
<quoted text>The name of G-d is not a whatever matter as you try to make it out to be. The Tetragrammaton (the 72-letter name of God) was the real name of God - known commonly in ancient times to all of Am Yisrael, but used with caution and only by the Cohen Gadol. It was the ACTUAL name of the God of Israel. His name is not, by any stretch of the imagination, "Allah". Consider how different Allah is from the shortened version of the Tetragrammaton that is in our scriptures - yud heh vav heh: YHVH. It is NOT the same as Allah.
Certainly true.

But, neither is "God" anything like YHVH or Allah or Deus, Dyeus, Diva or Tao.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#331 May 24, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Certainly true.
But, neither is "God" anything like YHVH or Allah or Deus, Dyeus, Diva or Tao.
They must think they are praying to Gott.

He knows His name and He lets those who are faithful to Him know it.

"I am the good shepherd; I know my own, and my own know me"

;-)
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#332 May 24, 2013
Sulaiman wrote:
Step in rigth direction.. We all serve One GOD I believe.
Oh good, then I'm sure that Muslims will allow Christians to enter mosques and use them as well. I don't even expect an answer from your hypocritical a$$. I know all about the hypocrisy of Muslims. Worst, most hypocritical people that mankind has to offer.
Redneck Reb

United States

#333 May 24, 2013
Gen. 17:21 But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this set time next year.”-NKJ

Location hidden

#334 May 24, 2013
Redneck Reb wrote:
Gen. 17:21 But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah shall bear to you at this set time next year.”-NKJ
Yes. That was 17:18 And Abraham said to God, "O that Ishmael might live in your sight!" God said, "No, but ...
(20) As for Ishmael, I have heard you; I will bless him and make him fruitful and exceedingly numerous; he shall be the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. But, my covenant I will establish with Isaac,..."

The Lord's Covenant was established with ALL of Abraham's household. The fullness of the inheritance went to Isaac. Each part of the promise was kept.

Genesis 15:17 When the sun had gone down and it was dark, a smoking fire pot and a flaming torch passed between these pieces. On that day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, "To your descendants I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates,..."

16:9 The angel of the LORD said to her, "Return to your mistress, and submit to her." The angel of the LORD also said to her, "I will so greatly multiply your offspring that they cannot be counted for multitude."

17 "I am God Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless. And I will make my covenant between me and you, and will make you exceedingly numerous." Then Abram fell on his face; and God said to him, "As for me, this is my covenant with you: You shall be the ancestor of a multitude of nations.... and I will be their God.

Then Abraham took his son Ishmael and all the slaves born in his house or bought with his money, every male among the men of Abraham's house, and he circumcised the flesh of their foreskins that very day, as God had said to him. Abraham was ninety-nine years old when he was circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin. That very day Abraham and his son Ishmael were circumcised; and all the men of his house, slaves born in the house and those bought with money from a foreigner, were circumcised with him.

18:19 "... No, for I have chosen him, that he may charge his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing righteousness and justice; so that the LORD may bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."

If one is going to cite scripture, one must be careful to cite the relevant passages, or at least allude to them. Otherwise, one takes out of context in order to glorify oneself and one's own limited comprehension.

Cite what is necessary.

Rev. Ken
Redneck Reb

United States

#335 May 25, 2013
Here are Your words:

Ishmael is one of the offspring of Abraham, by his wife Hagar. All of the descendants of Ishmael are recipients of the Covenant. His half-brother was Isaac.

Clearly a truth mingled with a LIE!.....and if they dwell amongst their breathren, Islolated from everyone else. How is it that they (Ishmael) have Blessed All Nations?

Cite what is Necessary.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#336 May 25, 2013
Ismael's mother was Eygption. wow.

Tyra

Matawan, NJ

#337 May 25, 2013
Yes

Location hidden

#338 May 25, 2013
Redneck Reb wrote:
Here are Your words:
Ishmael is one of the offspring of Abraham, by his wife Hagar. All of the descendants of Ishmael are recipients of the Covenant. His half-brother was Isaac.
Clearly a truth mingled with a LIE!.....and if they dwell amongst their breathren, Islolated from everyone else. How is it that they (Ishmael) have Blessed All Nations?
Cite what is Necessary.
I did, Dufus.

These are not MY words. Read the scripture.

Get your Bible out and read the Genesis chapters with an open mind.

Whether you understand or not, Abraham (Abram) had two wives, Sarai and Keturah. Hagar was one of his slave-concubines and the mother of Abraham's first-born, Ishmael. The Arabs take their heritage and ancestry through them from Abraham.

The "Everlasting Covenant" to which you refer, being the full inheritance, is through the descendants of Sarai. But, nonetheless, the others are recipients of the balance of the covenant.

17:23 Read it. This done in response to 17:9.

Get over your defensive denseness.

Binding only on males, circumcision is an external sign of membership in the covenant community. The descendants of Hagar and Keturah are the recipients of part of the promise. That was why Abraham had himself, Ishmael and the others circumcised.

Later, Paul said that we, the "non-descendants" of Abraham, are grafted into the entire covenant through the spiritual circumcision made through Jesus Christ. That is the Great Commission.

The stories are preserved and told so that you and I, today, can see ourselves invited into the Way of Christ - the same way written of in Genesis that is passed by the Blessing of Melchisedek through Abraham. The same way that is written of in Genesis 15:17 and 18:19.

The essence of the Covenant is spiritual.

The origin of the Way and the Teachings is far older than Common Era Christianity - ie., Augustine and other Christian mystics, not taking anything away from their accomplishments. Its origins are at least, in part, the legacy of the Mystery Schools of the East, far older than the Biblical, tribal history of the Jews.

Modern civilization traces its roots of advancement of Self Realization, the practice of the attainment of God-consciousness, in monotheism at least as far back as the city-states and the kings of the post-glacial tribes of the Caspian Steppes, the Indus Valley and the Tamil Coast of the Indian sub-continent. If you want proof of the work, trace back into the origins of the understandings of mathematics and language, spoken, memorized and written.

Now, if you can't understand this, it is YOUR problem. Not mine.

Rev. Ken
Redneck Reb

United States

#339 May 26, 2013
18 In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”

The Jewish Rebellion, AD66.
The Roman general Vespasian came to Israel and rounded up the Jewish People taking them into captivity and laying seige on Jerusalem. The seige lasted many months. When the Romans breached the wall, they killed all who resisted and the vast majority of the rest were divided up and dispersed all over the Roman Empire.
Over hundreds of years they were NOT consumed into the Gentile population as Satan intended to deny God his "Chosen People", but maintained their Identity by their Traditions.
Over Hundreds of years they worked their way up to becoming Bankers and good business men. Indeed, for example, Goldman-Sachs become the largest MegaBank in the world a few months ago. And in this way, the Covenant that God made with Abraham's seed,-Issac was fulfilled. The Covenant that "All Nations would be Blessed" My God would never Make a Covenant with a Wild Ass of a Man and his Low Life Nephew, A Fornicator and a Thief!

Location hidden

#340 May 26, 2013
Redneck Reb wrote:
18 In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”
The Jewish Rebellion, AD66.
The Roman general Vespasian came to Israel and rounded up the Jewish People taking them into captivity and laying seige on Jerusalem. The seige lasted many months. When the Romans breached the wall, they killed all who resisted and the vast majority of the rest were divided up and dispersed all over the Roman Empire.
Over hundreds of years they were NOT consumed into the Gentile population as Satan intended to deny God his "Chosen People", but maintained their Identity by their Traditions.
Over Hundreds of years they worked their way up to becoming Bankers and good business men. Indeed, for example, Goldman-Sachs become the largest MegaBank in the world a few months ago. And in this way, the Covenant that God made with Abraham's seed,-Issac was fulfilled. The Covenant that "All Nations would be Blessed" My God would never Make a Covenant with a Wild Ass of a Man and his Low Life Nephew, A Fornicator and a Thief!
Oh, Baloney!

It appears, by the nature of your bigoted, hypocritical, fundamentalist, satan-obsessed posts, that
... YOU ... are the Wild Ass of a Man.

The Covenant is Spiritual, Mr. Red. It has NOTHING to do with any "Megabank" anymore than having the last name Goldman gaurantees the bearer an inheritance of money.

Rev. Ken

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#341 May 26, 2013
<quoted text>Did you see me take that thread down? I told you I would. You really don't know who I am.
Are you saying that you're a mod?
Redneck Reb

United States

#342 May 26, 2013
Gill's Exposition

But my covenant will one establish with Isaac,.... The covenant of circumcision; for though Ishmael was circumcised, and his posterity practised that rite, yet it was not enjoined them of God; nor was it to them, or served the same purpose as to the Israelites; and particularly the promise of the land of Canaan, made in that covenant, belonged only to the posterity of Isaac, and to those only in the line of Jacob, and especially that of the Messiah springing from him, which circumcision had a respect unto:
whom Sarah shall bear unto thee, at this set time, in the next year: that is, at the end of nine months, which is the set time a woman goes with child.

Creating a FUZZY, FEEL GOOD, FAITH to APPEASE the Muslims Ken?

Location hidden

#343 May 26, 2013
Redneck Reb wrote:
Gill's Exposition
But my covenant will one establish with Isaac,.... The covenant of circumcision; for though Ishmael was circumcised, and his posterity practised that rite, yet it was not enjoined them of God; nor was it to them, or served the same purpose as to the Israelites; and particularly the promise of the land of Canaan, made in that covenant, belonged only to the posterity of Isaac, and to those only in the line of Jacob, and especially that of the Messiah springing from him, which circumcision had a respect unto:
whom Sarah shall bear unto thee, at this set time, in the next year: that is, at the end of nine months, which is the set time a woman goes with child.
Creating a FUZZY, FEEL GOOD, FAITH to APPEASE the Muslims Ken?
No. Not at all. Islam is just what it is. At its worst, it is a violence prone hegemonius condescension.

But, not all Islam is at its worst. The Sufi are a highly trained and spiritually advanced set of God's children. They are most generally a peaceful lot.

The Islamists grew out of the same roots of belief as the Sufi.

I am a priest and disciple of Christ Jesus and a follower and practitioner of his Teachings. I don't claim any particular perfection. But, I know better than to put all of Islam into a bag and throw it over the side.

Those who would have little or no real faith in Christ Jesus.

Rev. Ken
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

#344 May 27, 2013
Ravenclaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Sel says you really don't k now who she is, well let me give you a clue what "it" is-
The "head" stalker.
<quoted text>
They are on 'whispers get loud....' thread. Need
a link let me know.
<quoted text>I could find out anything I want about anyone on here. I just do it for sport. I have actually become quite good at it. I missed my calling as a private eye.
<quoted text>I have a fun thread for you...I'll post the link.
<quoted text> Howdy Satan...The Debil is on Vacation...Can't wait for him to get back so that He can meet you. I see TAG TEAM of the CENTURY!!!
<quoted text>Come on over the the Jacksonville, FL threads...use 32206 as the zipcode...It is priceless.
<quoted text>KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!!!! DON'T LET up....
Satan...you really ought to come over to Defeating Hate Talk Radio....it is a hoot and a half.
<quoted text>You have arrived right on time...we are going to play a new game.
<quoted text>Hey get over here...OPEN SEASON ON TEATARDS!!!!

You see she is nothing more than a cheap gender confused pervert bully.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#345 May 27, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
But, not all Islam is at its worst. The Sufi are a highly trained and spiritually advanced set of God's children. They are most generally a peaceful lot.
That is true, and Sunnis don't like them, don't consider them to be Muslims at all and think they are nuts. Sufis really didn't get their concepts from the Quran or Islam, but far more from eastern mystics.
Seeker

Lowell, MA

#346 May 27, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a priest
Don't know why your screen name is REV if you are a priest, but that's fine. Doesn't matter to me. Only what you say matters.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
and disciple of Christ Jesus and a follower and practitioner of his Teachings. I don't claim any particular perfection.
Nobody here seems to think a thing like that exists. They think they you always need to put yourself into a particular box in order to be a Christian. It's refreshing to hear from someone who appears to have a little insight and understanding. Perhaps you know what the narrow gate really means.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
But, I know better than to put all of Islam into a bag and throw it over the side.
Those who would have little or no real faith in Christ Jesus.
Rev. Ken
Yes yes. See the person them self, but if they don't see them self and merely blindly follow a rigid ideology, then one can't see that person them self unless one is very advanced, because they aren't them self.

Have you ever explored a guy named Anthony de Mello? I know I'm leaving myself open to all sorts of jokes and ridicule by others by even mentioning this to you, because that's what people like to do. They like to find any hole they can, but so what? You seem like someone that I can actually talk to. You seem to have a deeper understanding. I don't know how deep, but that doesn't matter. An open mind or heart is what matters not what someone currently knows or does not know.

I don't hate Muslims at all, even though they all think that I do. I hate the ideology that makes them be the way they are. That much I can admit. Never hate the person them self, but hate what makes them behave in such a bad or even downright stupid or ignorant fashion. Heck, Jesus himself was not all peace and flowers. Sometimes he had a very sharp tongue when he thought it was appropriate.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#347 May 27, 2013
Ravenclaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Is is gone or not? Keeps 'em guessing!

Location hidden

#348 May 28, 2013
Seeker wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't know why your screen name is REV if you are a priest, but that's fine. Doesn't matter to me. Only what you say matters.
<quoted text>
Nobody here seems to think a thing like that exists. They think they you always need to put yourself into a particular box in order to be a Christian. It's refreshing to hear from someone who appears to have a little insight and understanding. Perhaps you know what the narrow gate really means.
<quoted text>
Yes yes. See the person them self, but if they don't see them self and merely blindly follow a rigid ideology, then one can't see that person them self unless one is very advanced, because they aren't them self.
Have you ever explored a guy named Anthony de Mello? I know I'm leaving myself open to all sorts of jokes and ridicule by others by even mentioning this to you, because that's what people like to do. They like to find any hole they can, but so what? You seem like someone that I can actually talk to. You seem to have a deeper understanding. I don't know how deep, but that doesn't matter. An open mind or heart is what matters not what someone currently knows or does not know.
I don't hate Muslims at all, even though they all think that I do. I hate the ideology that makes them be the way they are. That much I can admit. Never hate the person them self, but hate what makes them behave in such a bad or even downright stupid or ignorant fashion. Heck, Jesus himself was not all peace and flowers. Sometimes he had a very sharp tongue when he thought it was appropriate.
I have never read his books. But, at your prompting, I believe I will do so.

At only 56 years old, it would seem a shame that he left. But, the Lord works in mysterious ways and I truly believe this.

I read, on Wiki, "11 years after de Mello's death, in 1998, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, under the leadership of its Cardinal-Prefect Joseph Ratzinger (who later became Pope Benedict XVI), conducted a review of de Mello's work and released a lengthy comment expressing their theological concerns. While the group showed appreciation for many of de Mello's writings, some positions were found to be 'incompatible with the Catholic faith'. It was seen by many as an attempt by Rome to undermine the clergy in Asia and indicative of widening fissures between Rome and the Eastern Church. Despite the church's concerns, his works are popular, especially among those interested in Ignatian spirituality."

That doesn't surprise me. They have done the same with a number of their best and brightest. That is what they did with Tielhard de Chardin, also.

Another author who may have had some similar roots that led him to a very open view was Paramahansa Yogananda.

I was recently looking into the origins of advanced mathematical theory. THAT was an eye opening revelation into the modern beginnings of monotheistic realization. It was not so much the development of the capacity to love. But, what it did do was to develop a system of schooling that served to open the conscious realization of the depth of Creation and helped foster the development of disciplines and practices that assisted memory, meditation and contemplation.

The result was that when the individual learned to use these tools and then focused his or her effort on the centers of Being, especially Love, the practical results were couched in a ferocious transformation in the presence of Joy.

More power and Light to you, Friend,
And thanks for your direction to Anthony de Mello.

Rev. Ken

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Manitoba Terry Fox Day honours memory of famed ... Mon August Schellenberg 1
News Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings ... (Oct '07) Aug 2 Anonymoose 59,914
News Red Deer accommodating growing Filipino community Aug 1 Heydrich 4
News Faroese man charged in air rage case (Jun '10) Jul '15 YoyoMoFo 2
News Winnipeg's parks -- spring into them (Apr '13) Jun '15 JUSTIN TRUDEAU 9
News St. John's United to host Hymns for Haiti (Jan '10) Jun '15 now Nepal 3
News RCMP 'inept, outdated,' Cummins says (Nov '11) Jun '15 Mike 5
More from around the web