VIDEO Allentown sanctuary would aid those having trouble leavin...

VETERANS SANCTUARY What: Short-term residential facility for veterans, offering treatment and counseling for post-traumatic stress disorder and related problems such as substance abuse and mental illness. Full Story
They deserve our support

Bethlehem, PA

#1 Mar 3, 2009
The men and women who served deserve our full support.
bitter not guns

Northampton, PA

#2 Mar 3, 2009
The Mayor needs to jump on board..he needs all the good PR he can! A worthy cause and we should do no less for our heroes.
Captain Lovestar

Easton, PA

#3 Mar 3, 2009
For once something good is happening here.
Bleh

Allentown, PA

#4 Mar 3, 2009
I hope this place opens.
Bigby

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Mar 3, 2009
This is great. There are a ton of vets who are coming home with issues. As we sit and enjoy what we can of our lives, most have already grown comfortable with forgetting we are still at war. My friends and family has been affected, as a lot have been, and it is good to know there will be some local help waiting for them.
Thank a Veteran

AOL

#6 Mar 3, 2009
Using this beautiful 100 year-old former church Sunday School building as a Veteran Santuary is an excellent way to take care of our soldiers.
Let's support this positive endeaver!

Land of the FREE
because of the BRAVE.
emjoy

Harrisburg, PA

#7 Mar 3, 2009
I'm glad someone is doing this. Our vets don't get enough support as it is. I'm just concerned about who is doing it and how. Is Treatment Trends going to be able to run a short-term residential facility in an area where they cannot have a residential treatment facility? Is short term treatment sufficient? How about a compromise with the arts community, using art therapies to help the vets? Treatment Trends is looking at this a another sort of D&A treatment center, with a specialization. True, many with battle disorders turn to drugs to treat themselves. But treating the drug dependence only addresses a part of the problem. Once they've provided the detox and rehab, will they be able to treat the PTSD? I would suggest conventional means for detox and rehab, and using htis center only for PTSD and other war-related concerns, both as a short-term residential situation and as a drop-in and appointment-centered facility. With a nice auditorium for music, theater, and speakers, and a front hall for an art gallery.
Truth can hurt

Nazareth, PA

#8 Mar 3, 2009
Nothing better than our veterans!

Talk about courage, answering the call, placing your life on the line for country.

Heroes one and all, and I thank them.
Thank You

AOL

#9 Mar 3, 2009
It was almost seventy years ago when my mother,a very active St. John's Lutheran Church member, became engaged to an Army soldier sent to Germany in WWII. While my mother was working for a small Allentown firm, she and her friends would also meet 2 or 3 times weekly at St.John's Church to continue the Luther League mission of service through group efforts and support for the troops. When my father was discharged after the war, he and my mother married at St. John's church continuing the legacy of four generations of family members being baptized and married at this most magnificent Lutheran church .

Our family members have served our country as soldiers in the Revolutioary War to the Vietnam War.
My late mother and father would be very proud to know that their beautiful St. John's Church will continue the legacy of giving back to our Veterans- knowing that so many soldiers continue to sacrifice their own lives for freedom.

Thank you Treatment Trends.
claire

Harrisburg, PA

#10 Mar 3, 2009
It's about time something is done for our veterans. They come home from battle and are treated like 4th class citizens. I think this country's welfare budget needs to be slashed and more money going towards benefits for the brave men and women who served this country.
emjoy

Harrisburg, PA

#11 Mar 3, 2009
claire wrote:
It's about time something is done for our veterans. They come home from battle and are treated like 4th class citizens. I think this country's welfare budget needs to be slashed and more money going towards benefits for the brave men and women who served this country.
Don't slash the Welfare budget so fast! We've got tons of servicemen's families on Food Stamps. This is not okay! While our soldiers are overseas, we are not taking proper care of their families over here. They need one less thing to worry about. Let's take care of their families, one way or another. Paying soldiers a living wage would be a good start.
Adams Apple

AOL

#12 Mar 3, 2009
Look, spend all of the money on our vets that you want but don't disguise it as treatment for PTSD. Most of these kids' only skill-set is pulling a trigger. They get back from service, have no marketable skills so they "develop" PTSD and claim disability. Help the vets, they deserve it...but let's call a spade a spade.
Claire

Harrisburg, PA

#13 Mar 3, 2009
Typical all or nothing mentality. I was not referring to taking anything away from them, veterans benefits means just that: veterans benefits. That includes food stamps, whatever. They should get whatever they need.
emjoy wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't slash the Welfare budget so fast! We've got tons of servicemen's families on Food Stamps. This is not okay! While our soldiers are overseas, we are not taking proper care of their families over here. They need one less thing to worry about. Let's take care of their families, one way or another. Paying soldiers a living wage would be a good start.
emjoy

Harrisburg, PA

#14 Mar 3, 2009
Claire wrote:
Typical all or nothing mentality. I was not referring to taking anything away from them, veterans benefits means just that: veterans benefits. That includes food stamps, whatever. They should get whatever they need.
<quoted text>
Typical over-reaction to an innocuous statement, but, whatever. I was trying to point out that we need to provide more for our soldiers, not less. And Food Stamps is not a veterans' benefit.

I liked the idea put forth here about adding vocational training or retraining to the program. when you take a kid out of high school and train him to be a soldier, then send him back to the world to find a job, he is a little behind in the marketable skills department. Instead of just telling veteerans that they have transferrable skills, let's show them how to transfer them.
Reality

Whitehall, PA

#15 Mar 3, 2009
Great program, good people running it, but a terrible location for the city.

If the city had its act together, a non-profit would have difficulty even buying a property so close to the business/government district. In anyplace but Allentown, something like this would get the mayor voted out of office.

Sadly, a treatment facility is one of the few growth industries left in Ed Pawlowski's Allentown.
Lorax

Breinigsville, PA

#16 Mar 3, 2009
Nice article about Veterans Sanctuary, a program that. no doubt, will be supported by the local government and community. The Veterans Sanctuary is a much needed service for the men and women who have given years of their lives to serve our country. In reading classics such as the Illiad and Odyssey, we see that struggle of the civilian moving into the world of war and then the struggle of having to somehow find a place back in society. Again and again we have seen high numbers of soldiers developing serious problems that impact their functioning, their ability to be part of their families and interfere in their reintegrating back into society. We owe these men and women the best opportunity for integrating the experience of service, war and combat and we owe it to our communities as well. The Veterans Sanctuary will also make sure that family members are a part of the healing process and will help address the secondary trauma that is often experienced by members of the family when their loved one is having problems. Again, very nice coverage by Scott Kraus and the Morning Call.
Claire

Harrisburg, PA

#17 Mar 4, 2009
It's my opinion that if a spouse is overseas fighting for our country that the family should also be exempt from paying property taxes for the duration the spouse is gone. The veterans and their families in this country get shafted yet the welfare scum of society has very little to worry about. Something is terribly wrong with that picture.
comment

Korea

#18 Mar 6, 2009
The facility would be surrounded by other residential housing. I would be all for a treatment center for veterans, but I would prefer a local VA Hospital rather than a privately run residential treatment facility.

It is the 2nd best alternative.
Sam
#19 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfoundland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings ... (Oct '07) 8 hr Anon 58,895
2nd potato in Atlantic Canada with metal object... Oct 16 HUB 2
Episcopal parishes on Staten Island to hold mem... Oct 15 RevKen 1
New mural a point of pride in North End Oct 3 chugs are POS 7
First national study sheds new light on sex wor... Sep 29 Canada Big High S... 2
Town signs Community Covenant-first in Ontario,... Sep 26 Conception Bay So... 2
Youth group to groom tomorrow's Globe stars (Sep '08) Sep 22 Video purports re... 6

Newfoundland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE