N.S. church parishes to pay in sex-ab...

N.S. church parishes to pay in sex-abuse settlement

There are 1 comment on the CBC story from Aug 14, 2009, titled N.S. church parishes to pay in sex-abuse settlement. In it, CBC reports that:

Roman Catholic parishes in the diocese of Antigonish in Nova Scotia are being told they will fund a $13-million settlement agreement for former parishioners who allege they were sexually abused by priests.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC.

Concerned Parishoner

Halifax, Canada

#1 Aug 15, 2009
Who/what is the Catholic Church? Is it as holy and apostolic as it claims to be? What 'holy' church would ever abuse anyone to begin with- and then expect you and me (the lay people who did not commit the sin) to pay the price? There is something fundamentally wrong here. The Vatican 'does' own property of value (which it considers itself to be guardian of). It 'does' have art holdings (which would bring in revenue). And then there is the 'bishops' ring- made of gold and other precious gems. What I am alluding to is the fact that the church has wealth- it will not openly admit to this, and will find all manner of excuses to keep such treasures- such as stewardship and symbolism a secret. However, this is where the money needs to come from to pay for such attrocities as the abuse of small boys. Furthermore, as it states in the bible- "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." It is more important for the church in Rome to use some of their wealth to make at least some ammends for what has been so wrong- thus storing up treasures in heaven. If we as Catholics pay this price and not those who own the problem, the church will most assuredly witness its' demise. How can we as Catholics- and I have been a faithful one for a very long time- stand back and allow this to happen. I, for one, will no longer put money into the church envelope. I do not trust where it will go. Do I believe that these victims deserve remuneration- absolutey...but not from my pocket. It is time that our church assumes such responsibility. Futhermore, I agree with above comments that suggest that resolution and honesty are long overdue- if Christ were here, I am certain he would agree...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Waterford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mount Carmel Campground - mid-sixties (Oct '13) Jan 7 finnigan 2
News King Coal comes to Cape Breton: U.S. billionair... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Dave 1
looking for relatives (Sep '12) Jul '15 EricMcNeil 2
News Plummer Avenue getting facelift (Feb '15) Feb '15 yes 1
News Protest needed over milk prices (Feb '09) Jan '15 three leged pirate 7
News Police confront mob in New Waterford (Sep '06) Oct '14 Mary Lee 48
News New Waterford woman facing drug charges (Jan '13) Nov '13 mary 6
More from around the web