Raymond Joseph Cyr denies he sexually...

Raymond Joseph Cyr denies he sexually assaulted 16-year-old Rothesay girl

There are 1 comment on the telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com story from Dec 17, 2008, titled Raymond Joseph Cyr denies he sexually assaulted 16-year-old Rothesay girl. In it, telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com reports that:

Canadian Crime News, Atlantic: Sex Offence Charges

Canadian Sex Offence Charges Registry

Rothesay, New Brunswick, Sex Offence Charges

MIKE MULLEN

TELEGRAPH-J0URNAL, Saint John, NB

SAINT JOHN -With no forensic evidence offered, the Court of Queen's Bench sexual assault trial of Raymond Joseph Cyr will come down to the credibility of the witnesses being heard this week by Judge Hugh McLellan and a six-man, six-woman jury.

That includes the diverse "he said, she said" accounts offered the court to this point by Cyr, 19, and his alleged 16-year-old victim of just what transpired in an upstairs bedroom where the inebriated teenager went to sleep it off last April 11 during a teenage house party in Rothesay.

On Monday, the alleged victim told the court that when she told him to get away from her, he attempted to force her to perform oral sex, but she refused to participate. He then had intercourse with her, while she kept crying and saying no, she said.

On Tuesday, however, the court heard Cyr vehemently deny their sexual liaison was anything but "consensual," during the playing of the first half of a 90-minute interview conducted one week after the house party by Senior Const. Craig MacDougall of the Rothesay Regional Police Force.

Cyr didn't deny the pair had engaged in sexual activity, even saying "it went all the way for a little bit," but said it was ridiculous to think he would take advantage of the girl. "It's defamation of character, really," he said on the videotape, repeatedly telling the officer that he was telling the truth.

Cyr said everything was fine until first one, then a second, of the partygoers entered the bedroom. Up until then, he said, "She wasn't telling me, no, no, no." But all of a sudden, she freaked out.

Under cross-examination by defence counsel David Kelly, an 18-year-old Crown witness told the court Tuesday she had been "violated" by Cyr shortly before her 16th birthday.

When asked by Kelly if she had reported it to the police, she said, "No, I didn't. I didn't want to go through this (process)." In fact, she said, she didn't even like to talk about it. She told the court she had great respect for the alleged victim for coming forward.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com.

Brittni Carvell

Saint John, Canada

#1 Jan 15, 2009
Its he said she said, it should have been aquited. I mean, as a teenage girl, she probably got right embarassed and cried rape. I really dont think she is telling the truth, especailly now, where she is saying she doesn't know. Girls like her are the reason real rape victims are left alone. The court did a faulty job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Brunswick, Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Stormy weather leave thousands in dark in Ontar... (May '17) Apr 20 after the thaw seen 3
News Federal NDP calls for intervention on Abdi Apr 20 helpfullinx 2
News Holiday debt hangover looms Apr 13 York region eh 1
News Memorial wall unveiled Apr 13 Pefferlaw 1
News No opting out: Canadians to get emergency alert... Apr 12 Frank 3
News St. John Ambulance volunteers save man (Jun '10) Apr 3 ambulance-dispatc... 10
News My nephew Sean died for what he believed in (Mar '09) Apr 2 You Dont Get It 17