Open letter to Jody Carr,Minister of ...

Open letter to Jody Carr,Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development

There are 34 comments on the metromonctonnews.com story from Jun 4, 2012, titled Open letter to Jody Carr,Minister of Education and Early Childhood Development. In it, metromonctonnews.com reports that:

Mr Jody Carr

Not sure that this is an acceptable answer. Are you telling me that there is a mandated English immersion and intensive English program in place in the French schools in New Brunswick ,in the cities of Moncton and Dieppe Equal to the French immersion language that are English children are forced and mandated to learn in our English schools.? I don’t believe so. In Mathieu Martin High school in Dieppe, French children face detention if they are caught speaking English on the School grounds. If so, i believe that our province supposed mandated English language immersion training in our french schools is failing us. I do not think that “Dis, Dat, Dose and Dem” are proper pronunciation of the English language. Sesame St does not count as English language training .

The purpose of a “distinct” educational institution either in English or French in my opinion is to ensure the survival and preservation of the language and culture that it serves. You state that the charter does not “dictate subjects areas to be studied”. I find that there is lack of reasoning in your response. I think that the meaning behind the charter for education in this regard was to preserve and protect each linguistic communities official language. I believe that you are reading into the charter in that there is a “lack of clarity” in this regard.

We are considering challenging your reasoning under the charter. What purpose does a distinct educational system have for each official language group if it cannot serve to promote its own official language ? I think that you should release any test results that you may have that show that the English students who are in french immersion or intensive french have lower English language skills. If you have these results it will show that our current educational system is clearly lacking in the teaching of the English language and that the current education system is failing our English community in this regard in protection and preservation of its language.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at metromonctonnews.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#1 Jun 5, 2012
A very well written letter !
Logic

Miramichi, Canada

#2 Jun 5, 2012
Dis, Dat, Dose and Dem are because of the accent.

Why is it that some of us english kids through school failed an English grammer test?
Because of words like "Ain't, watcha.
Because of pronouns: Me and john are going to lunch.
Because of substandard words: "irregardless" "hisself".
Because of double negatives: I dont have no money.

The list goes on. At least alot of the french poeple you make fun of are putting in an effort. Can you say the same?
enoughcrap

Fredericton, Canada

#3 Jun 5, 2012
Like the author of this letter, I too question the integrity of the reply from the Minister. To suggest that equality exists between franco schools and anglo schools when it comes to immersion is difficult to accept when, in reality, the SANB makes it very clear that franco kids are NOT to fraternize or speak english with anglo kids and face consequences if they do so. To repeat a comment made by SANB president, Jean Marie Nadeau, acadiens who wish to speak english are an affront to NB francos. Does that suggest that they would be open to high quality immersion in the english language within their school system? Rather laughable, don't you think???
notme

Moncton, Canada

#4 Jun 5, 2012
repeat a comment made by SANB president, Jean Marie Nadeau, acadiens who wish to speak english are an affront to NB francos

this guy and socall m Monkton are the realcause of all the fighting between French and English ...

they are both suoprtemist that thinks their shit do not stink
cro

Moncton, Canada

#5 Jun 5, 2012
Fed up

Moncton, Canada

#6 Jun 5, 2012
not me.......

Do you have any idea how much tax payer money the sanb is given.

Do you agree that issues like rewriting the language act of new brunswick should happen without the 70% english speakers having any say as to what laws are created that affect their future with their money. The sanb does

Do you agree with separating children in daycare because of language. The sanb does

Do you think it is democratic that a kid spends 12 years in french immersion and is still denied a civil servant job. The sanb does

Now can you provide proof as to why you say that this guy Monckton is causing a problem between the various cultures that prefer english and the french.
Because from where I am sitting, I fail to see the comparison
notme

Moncton, Canada

#8 Jun 6, 2012
easy like Nadeau he is promoting hate of the other language in Canada
Fed Up

Moncton, Canada

#9 Jun 8, 2012
That is a typical response from a bigot.

A debate means both sides provide proof that they feel proves the other one wrong.

I am still waiting
Michael Babcock

Moncton, Canada

#10 Jul 12, 2012
Cloce this open letter!
N2KMaster

Höst, Germany

#12 Jul 13, 2012
and anyone who knows me knows what software i use online and who's the legit one. The guy who uses the proxy.
N2KMaster

Germany

#13 Jul 13, 2012
Besides this doesnt concern me nor do i care about any of this. So Richard once again, Random Random Random bullshit bullshit bullshit and STILL can't back up claims of anything you speak of. Done lying yet cuz i know its not going over well for you.
daryl doucette

Moncton, Canada

#14 Jul 13, 2012
get rid of bilingualism. make english the official language of nb and be done with this foolishness. give franco services in communities with at least 50 percent french, and thats the end of the issue
Logic

Miramichi, Canada

#15 Jul 13, 2012
daryl doucette wrote:
get rid of bilingualism. make english the official language of nb and be done with this foolishness. give franco services in communities with at least 50 percent french, and thats the end of the issue
It's a little more complex than that. What about a case of travelling within a predominantly French area and someone gets injured. I would like to know I could receive help in English. Doesnt even need to be that example....you get the point. That role can be reversed for the French. They are still tax payers. If they go to Fredericton for example, being less than 50 percent, why shouldnt they have services provided?
Quiet Riot

Moncton, Canada

#16 Jul 13, 2012
Logic wrote:
<quoted text>
why shouldnt they have services provided?
For the same reasons the Irish, Scots, Welsh, Germans and all the rest of Canadians don't.You are no better than any of these others, get that into your head.
bilingualandprou dofit

Moncton, Canada

#17 Jul 14, 2012
Quiet Riot wrote:
<quoted text>You are no better than any of these others, get that into your head.
Neither are you !!!
Quiet Riot

Moncton, Canada

#18 Jul 14, 2012
Never said I was, and like these others I mentioned we don't demand our own official language or to be acknowledged as a distinct society.

Unlike our First Nations who never were defeated in a war, you french were . To quote the words of PQ's Pauline Marois , "We were conquered! "

Your arrogance and self inflated sense of self worth is a disgrace to all REAL Canadians.In terms of a 'people', you are Canada's biggest and most needless liability.

But this is nothing new even to you since you are so afraid of a national referendum on bilingualism.
bilingualandprou dofit

Montréal, Canada

#19 Jul 14, 2012
1- Irish, Scots & Welsh all spoke english in their own countries, before coming to Canada... DUH !!!

2- Stop living in the past, the conflict between England & France has been over for hundreds of years. Canada is NOW a Bilingual State, be a REAL CANADIAN and accept it !

3- You compared French people to the Scots, the Irish, etc... But never included the English in there. As a matter of fact, you talk about (and I quote you) "...any of these others..." That puts you aside, not part of, as a distinct other party. So who is arrogant and has a self inflated sense of worth ? Usually the ones putting themselves apart form the "common folks", like you did in your little biggoted rant !
notme

Moncton, Canada

#20 Jul 14, 2012
Quiet Riot wrote:
Never said I was, and like these others I mentioned we don't demand our own official language or to be acknowledged as a distinct society.
Unlike our First Nations who never were defeated in a war, you french were . To quote the words of PQ's Pauline Marois , "We were conquered! "
Your arrogance and self inflated sense of self worth is a disgrace to all REAL Canadians.In terms of a 'people', you are Canada's biggest and most needless liability.
But this is nothing new even to you since you are so afraid of a national referendum on bilingualism.
do not compare Quebec demands to us
2can play

France

#21 Jul 14, 2012
notme wrote:
<quoted text>
do not compare Quebec demands to us
These so called acadians are just as bad if not worst than Quebec.

Those bigots in Dieppe need to be taught a lesson they won't forget.

Their apartheid laws need to be exposed to all of Canada and the world.
bilingualandprou dofit

Montréal, Canada

#22 Jul 14, 2012
The only Aparthied like attitude aroud here comes from bigots like you who think all other languages and cultures should be abolished in favor of an English only state !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Brunswick, Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News $1.2 Million for Habitat Jul 1 Mr Peanut - Farmer 1
News Charles meets CanadaA s Justin Trudeau ahead Ca... Jul 1 Glen Williams 1
News Longhouse not a protest of Canada 150 but celeb... Jul 1 How 1
News Hundreds line the streets in Ontario to meet Pr... Jul 1 Battle_of_Gettysburg 1
News Layoff news upsets Canada Post staff in N.B, N.... (Apr '11) Jun 30 tnox 3
News Capital Wishlist: Peter Herrndorf on how the ar... Jun 30 RAM DASS CONSERVA... 1
Hows those Syrians treating ya? Jun 30 @Kelly 2
More from around the web