Language-rights group says Moncton, D...

Language-rights group says Moncton, Dieppe councils influenced by Que. separatists

There are 47 comments on the timestranscript.canadaeast.com story from Jul 17, 2010, titled Language-rights group says Moncton, Dieppe councils influenced by Que. separatists. In it, timestranscript.canadaeast.com reports that:

July 13th, 2010

Moncton - Members of a new group based in Metro Moncton protested yesterday over municipal bylaws that dictate the language of words on private commercial signs, calling such laws constitutionally invalid.

Tim Williams, spokesman for Canadians Against Forced Bilingualism and a member of the Anglo Society of Canada, said the reason Dieppe has adopted a bylaw requiring French on commercial signs and that Moncton is examining the signs issue is because municipal politicians are under the influence of separatists in Quebec.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at timestranscript.canadaeast.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Barry Renouf

Fredericton, Canada

#1 Jul 18, 2010
The Acadian Society met with Bloc Quebcois leader on Tuesday, April 6, 2010. This information was reported by the Canadaeast news service. It is available online.
It was never denied by the Acadian Society of New Brunswick.
Frank J

Dartmouth, Canada

#2 Jul 18, 2010
I find it hard to believe that Quebec separatists, or for that matter any francophone Quebecois has any interest in the politics in any maritime provinces, the francophone population of the maritime provinces has long been marginalized as country bumpkins in comparison to the "rich cosmopolitan" populous of QC. It's just sensationalist rhetoric on the part of the anglo society. Besides, there's one thing everyone fails to mention, french people are forced to learn english all the time to be able to live and work, why can't the rest of the population?
Sept18

Brampton, Canada

#3 Jul 18, 2010
Frank J wrote:
why can't the rest of the population?
Why ?
Well Frank, there's an old saying : To the victors go the spoils, to the losers go the toils .
Comprende vou?
Frank J

Dartmouth, Canada

#4 Jul 19, 2010
That is a very even handed argument, I suppose old style colonialism isn't really dead after all! Incidentally i do appreciate the concerted effort to express yourself ever so eloquently in both official languages, however, it's time for old sayings to be left with old times where they belong, bilingualism is the only fair way for everyone to be represented, however, i do feel that ALL Canadians both anglo and francophone should learn both languages, it's unfair to force only one side.
eugcanada

Calgary, Canada

#6 Oct 20, 2010
Hello,

I am bilingual ( I speak both French and English fluently). I am currently living in Calgary and I have a bachelor of science in manufacturing engineering technology. I am currently working in Calgary, but not in my field of study. I heard Moncton is growing and the city and the province as awhole is looking for bilingual and skills candidates. I don't currently have any friend in Moncton or New Brunswick. Can anyone please help by answering some of my questions?
The first question I have is: does anyone know any employment/government agencies that help candidates find employment from outside of the province before they movein? Are employers willing to give candidates a chance to find employment before moving or candidates have to be in the province?
My main concern is that I don't want to quit my job here and not being able to find another one in Moncton. Another question is: how much do you know about manufacturing engineering field in Moncton or any other part of the province? I know Moncton is the capital of the call centers, but are there some engineering/manufacturing companies looking to hire candidates? If anyone knows about some companies hiring, please let me know as well. I am looking for advice and steps to take before moving to Moncton. New Brunswich is far from Calgary, so I want to make sure I make the right decision before moving. Thank you everyone, and I look forward to reading your advice and comments. Thanks for your help.
sunshine

Santa Clarita, CA

#7 Oct 20, 2010
The province of Quebec have enough of their own problem, so keep your nose out of New Brunswick. Your own province is full of drug dealers and welfare recipients.

“vive le bilinguisme ”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#8 Oct 20, 2010
Quebec are a bunch of trouble makers that makes it hard for other French speaking Canadians to strives toward bilingualism ... something should be done about them they are the ones causing all the French /English battles period

all the others wants is to be bilingual and thrive with their fellows bilingual (but mostly English speaking) Canadians ......

hurry Quebec separate so we can survives ....

from a French speaking Canadian outside of Quebec

Since: Sep 10

Monckton

#9 Oct 20, 2010
Frank J wrote:
it's unfair to force only one side.
Frank, it's unfair that 75% of the population be forced to learn the language of 25% of the population.

It's not worth the cost, nor is it even warranted.

“vive le bilinguisme ”

Location hidden

#10 Oct 21, 2010
Robert K Monckton wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank, it's unfair that 75% of the population be forced to learn the language of 25% of the population.
wonder what you would say if the role was reverse ?
always complaining about Quebec but wants to do the same to us

Since: Sep 10

Monckton

#11 Oct 21, 2010
pizza wrote:
<quoted text>
wonder what you would say if the role was reverse ?
always complaining about Quebec but wants to do the same to us
I would either keep my mouth shut or move out.

You have the same choice.
Dr Acula

Halifax, Canada

#12 Oct 21, 2010
eugcanada - please disregard most comments on here. They are not really representative. Try the other Moncton forums.

“vive le bilinguisme ”

Location hidden

#13 Oct 21, 2010
well i am not a coward so i will not keep my mouth shut and i will fight for what is mine so there it shows the difference between French and English right there ....

“vive le bilinguisme ”

Location hidden

#15 Oct 21, 2010
eugcanad yes the majority of the English people are pro bilingual but we have a very noisy minority that opposes it ......

they are afraid of progress
The Bottom Line

Brampton, Canada

#16 Apr 22, 2011
Remember this on election day and what Liberal MP Brian Murphy has done for Anglos. NOTHING !
pizza

Moncton, Canada

#17 Apr 24, 2011
wow let vote for Brian he is a true Canadian
Timbit Dirty Willy

Lawrencetown, Canada

#18 May 1, 2011
Let's vote for Murphy. Cot Cot Colette....
Sick of swampers

Moncton, Canada

#19 May 4, 2011
Robert K Monckton wrote:
<quoted text>
You have the brain of a pizza.
Darling the Soft

Lawrencetown, Canada

#20 May 4, 2011
Got his % mixed up... but soon enought, it will be 75% french and 25% english. There's a conspiracy going on and we are forcing people to learn french.
FORCING, not asking them. We showell our language down their throat and put our flag everywhere on purpose. It's actually an international conspiracy where all french countries are joining their efforts. The NB government is involved in that conspiracy, with U de M. We are trying to get NB separated from Canada, and after, France will take over it. It's all planned.
Joe Moe

Brampton, Canada

#23 May 5, 2011
Frenchmen the world over have never forgiven God for making Jews his chosen people. The argument is that if he had a choice, surely God would have given that honor to the French.

To bolster their claim they have invented stories and claims to right this outrageous wrong against themselves.

One story tells that Jesus and Mary Magdalene managed to escape the Crucifixion and made their way to what is now modern day France. As if.They even named an island off Canada's east coast after Mary. Another story tells of France being the home of the Holy Grail.
There are many more such attempts to presuade the world that they the French are the Chosen Oners.

Even the creation of the Knights Templar failed to convince God that he had made a mistake in picking the Jews.

But no one, not even God was listening.

Failing miserably they now try to make themselves the chosen ones by demanding special status in Canada. Having done no more than any other immigrants to Canada, they claim absolute equality and more. Equality with the English who drastically outnumber them and supremacy in the province of Quebec where they rule with impunity in their new found Holy Land.

They now hope to force God to recognize them as worthy.
Amish

Lawrencetown, Canada

#24 May 5, 2011
alleluia!

God bless the amishes and the quakers.

Praise the jehovah witnesses.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Brunswick, Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study says N.L. will see below average food pri... Tue meanwhile 1
RCMP hire PEDOPHILES/MURDERERS Dec 5 UNMATRIXED 1
News Dresden - The Worst War Crime Of WWII as Canadi... (Dec '10) Dec 4 Stop Statism 7
News Laurier made it his mission to build a scandal-... Nov 25 JUSTIN TRUDEAU ERA 1
News Montreal as a Hub for Activism in the African D... Nov 16 Oh No You Di-nt 1
News Trudeau to talk trade, investment to open doors... Nov 14 Nicky 1
News Remembrance Day Hours And Services Nov 10 Why NOT Forget 1
More from around the web