Charges follow Grand Manan riot

There are 103 comments on the CBC story from Jul 26, 2006, titled Charges follow Grand Manan riot. In it, CBC reports that:

A Saint John man who was involved in a riot on Grand Manan Island last week now faces criminal charges in connection with another incident Ronald Ross, 41, was charged Tuesday with uttering death threats and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
molly maid

Saint John, Canada

#1 Aug 1, 2006
They let Ronnie Ross go and locked up Carter Foster. Does it make sense to lock up the innocent and let the guilty walk free.
Know all about it

Halifax, Canada

#2 Aug 3, 2006
get this ronnie is selling drug and a pedifiler, what is going on over there. why in Gods good name is these little kids running in and out of yhis old mans house. Why is he being aloud to have sexual relation with 12 year olds. tell me were the justic is in that.
grand mananer

Canada

#3 Aug 3, 2006
These last few weeks have been interesting on grand manan, and the reason for it is simply because the police have looked away for too long, and the only way to fix the problem is to do what the police wont.

Yes Carter is in jail, but to me and the rest of the island, he did what he had to do. This man has lost everything, just because he stood up for what he knew was right. And there are signs all over this island, begging to let our heros go. And what of Ronnie?? He admitted in the Courier newspaper last week that he shot into the crowd hoping to hit someone, yet no charges were laid against him. Isn't that "attempted murder"?

This island has been overrun with police, and thats ok, they are here to do their jobs. But, where were they when this whole thing began. There is more than just one drug dealer on this island. And, the islanders know who they are. That is why they are being targeted. they would not go after an innocent bystander, because we know who is doing what and selling what. Yet, the police feel like they have to protect the dealers, but who is going to protect the kids they sold drugs to? Where do we turn when we need help? Who does Carter and Mike turn to?

There is more to this situation than is being told. There are people fearing for their lives because they stood up for the good of the island. This is a beautiful place, and the people here are wonderful. But enough is enough. Its time for the police to stop protecting the criminals and give the victims some sense of accomplishment, for getting rid of one of many of the 'crack' houses, that have destroyed many lives, homes and marriages, for many years.

This may not have been the smartest way to go about this whole situation, but what would you do in this case? Think about that!!
Casey Russell

Saint John, Canada

#4 Aug 12, 2006
Grand manan is the best place ever
Woodwards Cover

Saint John, Canada

#5 Aug 12, 2006
You`re right Casey,this is a great place to live.And when the dopedealers get totally out of control,ruining the lives they do,they need to be taken down,the law just doesn`t do it. People who don`t live here just don`t know what we`re dealing with.Some of the comments suggest we`ll next tackle anyone we don`t like,but that ain`t what it`s about.It`s about getting rid of the worst of the worst,the ones who deal death for profit..Put your red ribbons up,and donate to the defense fund,let the island,the province,the country and the world know,we care about the future of our community !! your neighbour,Larry Small
NORTHHEADER

Canada

#6 Aug 12, 2006
RIGHT ON LARRY.I HAVE MY RED RIBBONS ON MY HOUSE AND VEHICLE.i also donated to the fund,hope a lot of grand maners do the same.
Neighbor

Saint John, Canada

#7 Aug 13, 2006
You hit the nail on the head Larry,(pardon the pun) Thank you so much!
concerned

Saint John, Canada

#8 Aug 14, 2006
molly maid wrote:
They let Ronnie Ross go and locked up Carter Foster. Does it make sense to lock up the innocent and let the guilty walk free.
How many people are aware that carter foster got charged for beating up a cop? As far as I am concerned one crime is as bad as another the same as a sin is a sin.. I agree with what they did in a way but not the way that it was done. If they were proud to do what they did, they should stand up and be proud of what lies ahead.. I know I would be..
TAMMY

Saint John, Canada

#9 Aug 14, 2006
IT WAS TIME TO TAKE A STAND!I ONLY HOPE THAT THESE BOYS ARE NOT MADE AN EXAMPLE OF.THIS ENTIRE PROBLEM COULD HAVE BEEN DEALT WITH DIFFERENTLY IF ONLY THE POLICE HAD TAKEN AN INTEREST SOONER.IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT THE LIVES OF FIVE YOUNG MEN TRYING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE NOW REST IN THE HANDS OF OUR LOVELY JUDICIAL SYSTEM.
LINDSAY

Saint John, Canada

#10 Aug 14, 2006
HEY CONCERNED,MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE CONCERNED WITH GETTING THE FACTS STRAIGHT!CARTER DID NOT GET CHARGED WITH ATTACKING A POLICE OFFICER.HE WAS SKINNING HIS PIGS ON HIS OWN PROPERTY WHEN THE POLICE CAME BUSTING THROUGH AND ACCUSED HIM OF JACKING A DEER.THE RCMP ATTACKED HIM,NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!BESIDES,WHAT IS IT TO YOU? CARTER,IS A DECENT PERSON, WHO SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH THE CRAP HE WAS PUTTING UP WITH.HOW LONG WOULD YOU LIVE BESIDE A CRACK DEALER?I HOPE YOU AREN'T ONE OF THESE TWO-FACED PEOPLE WHO TALKS BEHIND HIS BACK AND THEN CALLS HIM WHEN YOUR YARD NEEDS PLOWING OR YOU NEED WORK DONE IN YOUR GARDEN!IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH BACKBONE,PERHAPS YOU SHOULD USE YOUR REAL NAME WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT MY FRIEND.I WILL MAKE SURE I TELL HIM ALL THE NICE THINGS YOU HAVE TO SAY!!!!!
reader

Princeton, ME

#11 Aug 14, 2006
are we talking black or hispanics that are drug dealin in gm?
by the sea

Saint John, Canada

#12 Aug 15, 2006
RONNIE ROSS IS ONLY ONE PROBLEM ON THE ROCK. WHY IS HE RUNNING AROUND FREE...OR IS HE?? MAYBE HE HAS BEEN SNUFFED OUT BY THE "BIGGER" GUY'S!!!WHO REALLY KNOWS? AGAIN, IT IS A SMALL SMALL PLACE AND THE RCMP HAVE KNOWN FOR YEARS WHO DEALS AND WHO DOES DRUGS.THERE ARE NO SECRETS ON GRAND MANAN OR ANY SMALL COMMUNITY. MAYBE LESS TIME DRINKING COFFEE AT THE LOCAL HANGOUT......AND LESS TIME STOPPING OLD LADIES FOR DRIVING A TOUCH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT, AND MORE TIME SPENT ON DRUG ISSUES WOULD BE A GREAT THING TO HAVE HAPPEN. TRUE, IF THE GRAND MANANERS WANTED TO THROW SOME OF THEIR "CASH" IN A HAT TO RAISE MONEY FOR THE CHILDREN AND TEENS. LACK OF ENTERTANMENT CAUSES TROUBLE! IDOL HANDS.........!
castalia resident

Bathurst, Canada

#13 Aug 15, 2006
by the sea wrote:
RONNIE ROSS IS ONLY ONE PROBLEM ON THE ROCK. WHY IS HE RUNNING AROUND FREE...OR IS HE?? MAYBE HE HAS BEEN SNUFFED OUT BY THE "BIGGER" GUY'S!!!WHO REALLY KNOWS? AGAIN, IT IS A SMALL SMALL PLACE AND THE RCMP HAVE KNOWN FOR YEARS WHO DEALS AND WHO DOES DRUGS.THERE ARE NO SECRETS ON GRAND MANAN OR ANY SMALL COMMUNITY. MAYBE LESS TIME DRINKING COFFEE AT THE LOCAL HANGOUT......AND LESS TIME STOPPING OLD LADIES FOR DRIVING A TOUCH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT, AND MORE TIME SPENT ON DRUG ISSUES WOULD BE A GREAT THING TO HAVE HAPPEN. TRUE, IF THE GRAND MANANERS WANTED TO THROW SOME OF THEIR "CASH" IN A HAT TO RAISE MONEY FOR THE CHILDREN AND TEENS. LACK OF ENTERTANMENT CAUSES TROUBLE! IDOL HANDS.........!
In defence of rcmp, while they are hanging out, they are receiving lots of information. I think it is good to see them around the community.
castalia resident

Bathurst, Canada

#14 Aug 15, 2006
by the sea wrote:
There are lots of things to do here. True even more things would be welcome, but my children are very busy.
APPALLED

Saint John, Canada

#15 Aug 15, 2006
castalia resident wrote:
<quoted text>
In defence of rcmp, while they are hanging out, they are receiving lots of information. I think it is good to see them around the community.
YA RECEIVING LOTS OF INFORMATION,FUNNY HOW EASY IT IS TO GO IN ONE EAR AND RIGHT BACK OUT THE OTHER!!!
APPALLED

Saint John, Canada

#16 Aug 15, 2006
reader wrote:
are we talking black or hispanics that are drug dealin in gm?
NO *GASP* ITS WHITE PEOPLE!! CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!(I SAY THIS SARCASTICALLY AS POSSIABLE...)
castalia resident

Bathurst, Canada

#17 Aug 15, 2006
APPALLED wrote:
<quoted text>
YA RECEIVING LOTS OF INFORMATION,FUNNY HOW EASY IT IS TO GO IN ONE EAR AND RIGHT BACK OUT THE OTHER!!!
I don't understand why they can't do anything with the dealers on the island, but I do know that hanging out they hear lots of things and know what is going on. What they are able to do with the info is the hard part, dealers have too many rights!
APPALLED

Saint John, Canada

#18 Aug 15, 2006
castalia resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand why they can't do anything with the dealers on the island, but I do know that hanging out they hear lots of things and know what is going on. What they are able to do with the info is the hard part, dealers have too many rights!
WELL,DOING SOMETHING,ANYTHING, WOULD BE A GOOD START!!
castalia resident

Bathurst, Canada

#19 Aug 15, 2006
by the sea wrote:
Ronnie Ross was in Blacks Harbour yesterday afteroon.
proud grand mananer

Saint John, Canada

#20 Aug 15, 2006
would just like to say that it looks as if the drug dealers are being protected by police instead of being prosecuted, after first incident another so called threat was made on another house and police were guarding it 24 hours a day. If I, a law abiding citizen called the police and told them my house was going to be burnt down do you think they would sit at the end of my driveway and get seventy officers to help them do it. NO THEY WOULDNT.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Brunswick, Canada Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Canadian millennials drawn to vagabond culture ... May 20 hobo 1
News Unions representing federal scientists protest ... May 20 innocent youth ca... 1
News Teens heading to ER for mental health care call... May 9 HumanSpirit 1
News Local family fights to change repatriation laws May 8 Shame 1
News Lake Huron nuclear waste plan passes environmen... May 7 BDV 2
News Manitoulin association opposing wind turbines s... May 6 sad and glad 1
News Dutch cyclist retraces Terry Fox route on his o... May 3 other routes 1
More from around the web