Premier Fitness Clubs (Yorkdale) Inc....

Premier Fitness Clubs (Yorkdale) Inc. and club general manager fined...

There are 285 comments on the Canada NewsWire story from Apr 24, 2007, titled Premier Fitness Clubs (Yorkdale) Inc. and club general manager fined.... In it, Canada NewsWire reports that:

Premier Fitness Clubs Inc. and club general manager fined for health and safety violations SCARBOROUGH, ON, April 24 /CNW/ - Premier Fitness Clubs Inc., a fitness club in Toronto that is part of the ... via Canada NewsWire

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Canada NewsWire.

First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Austin, TX

#1 Apr 28, 2007
These types of clubs often lure potential members in with a free 30 day trail and when you sign off on the papers somehow you've also signed up for a year membership without know it. I know, Premier tried to do that with me a number of years ago.

My guess is they finally did this to someone who had some power and influence and made sure that they would be inspected for health and safety and made sure that the fine would stick.

You cannot believe the aggressiveness of these types clubs in collecting on contracts which people signed in error and in many cases never used the club.

I feel no sympathy for any healthclub being under investigation or convicted of anything. They haven't given their pound of flesh yet for everyone they screwed. I look forward to more health and safety news about healthclubs. Unfortunately for the owners of these clubs, it will only be put down as the cost of doing business for them and they will be back to their sleazy ways.
fedup

Gaithersburg, MD

#2 May 8, 2007
I worked for Premier as a Personal Trainer and ran into problems with getting paid. The company is dishonest and deceitful.
Jen

AOL

#3 Oct 23, 2007
i've been having problems with Premier fitness club since July of '07. They constantly take money out of my account exceeding the money I authorized them to take. I have given them post dated cheques which they at first refused stating they only take authorized chequing info. They have not cashed those cheques, nor returned my calls and it's been two months. For $600.approx I was given a binder with menu's. This is for weight loss but at jenny craig you'd get food and more for that money.
I've heard this is a constant problem for a lot of people going there. Not to mention it took them 4mnths to open the pool.
Nenad R

Maple, Canada

#4 Oct 27, 2007
I Joined Premier Aug 03/07, and I am having so many problems.First they are huge liers, they tell you one thing and they do whatever they want.
In the past 3 months they took over 100.00$ extra, and I was trying talking to them and fix the problem (mistake happends), unfortunatly they were constantly bing dishonest and liers. One day I got super mad and I went there,I asked to see a manger (as usual he was not there),I was there over two hrs waiting for him to comeback and finaly he said to me, well you are paying cheap membership, so why don't we cancelled, so I accepted, however I have no idea what kind of money I am geting back as he could not calculate that. I am hoping to get my money back, but I would not be suprised If I don't. My plan is to call better business office and report this matter. Does anyone knows how to contact their head office?
Thanks for your help and good luck to everyone!
Mike

Toronto, Canada

#5 Nov 9, 2007
(four one six)three two six - eighty eight hundred (Consumer portection contact No"

http://www.gov.on.ca/MGS/en/ConsProt/050451.h...

I've worked in gyms for over 15 years, I hate to hear this kind of stuff. Gyms make more than enough money that they don't have to screw anybody.
Rajesh Brampton

United States

#6 Nov 23, 2007
I was looking in Googles for Premier's head office numberand found the article about fine on Premier Club plus the above 5 comments from people like me who have been cheated by Premium Club.
My wife, my step daughter and I have regitered in July 2006 for one year. Due to some personal circumstances we could not continue with the gym. We did not put stop to it. But in early summer this year, we asked our branch of Premier club to give us extension for some time that is for the time we did not use the facility. The girl incharge gave my wife and I extension upto Dec 2007. To my surprise, they ketp on taking money from our three credit cards (we had paid our yearly fee for 2006-2007) on weekly basis. First we could not figure out what it was but the bank people told us that it was some gym or so. On getting in touch with the gym again, the manager gave us extnsion up to June 2008 for the $900 they took out from our credit cards. I argued that how come they can take this money as we had not finished our extension which expires in Dec 2007 and more over without our knowledge they can not take money out. She told me that it was in the contract that we had signed 18 months ago. I told her that who remebers these small imprints. The club should have informed us before they could take money. I was very upset. Told them for them it was a free account that they could take money out. Another thing the money they are taking out for my step daughter, she has been out of the country for 8 months. To me the manager should have cancelled or frozen our membership when they gave us extension. Well we are out with $900 so far. Any body who might have similar experience and who were successful in getting their money out, please advise.
Matt

Hanover, Germany

#7 Nov 26, 2007
I had a huge problem with the sleeze bag that owns the London Premier fitness. I was refused access to the gym because I hadnt taken a fitness test, yet everytime I tried to book it, it was up to me to mold to their times and unfortunately not the other way around. After going in and trying to talk to the owner/manager many many times nothing had come of it and I was starting to get very upset. I had talked to an employee who told me, while I was standing at the front desk that the manager was sleeze and that he not only screwed customers but also tried to get away with not paying trainers and telling them that they would be re-imbursed. It took me three months and many threats of bringing in my lawyer to finally get this moron (the owner/manager) to work something out. All of this was also being worked out through another employee because the owner was to afraid to confront me himself. I operate with TD Bank and Premier was taking money out of my account illegaly and tried to tell me that I had signed saying it was okay for them to keep taking money... However after reviewing my contract that I had signed, it had said that if they didnt send me a renewal I wouldnt have to pay (i never got a renewal or anything). I paid for one full year membership and was only allowed to enter the gym 3 times (due to not taking a fitness test) and was rejected for the rest of the year. After a lot of work and many complaints to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) I was finally given a free year and only when I went to TD Bank and had them go after my stolen money was I re-embursed for a portion of the stolen money. All premier fitness clubs should be shut down and banned from opening in another city. The owners of premier firness are all sleeze bags out trying to steal money off people who actually work for it. If anyone lives in London... DONT join premier fitness and keep an eye out for Joe (owner/manager). Premier fitness is a garbage chain... it takes a big man/woman to steal money from people in order to make their own living... shame on them all.

For anyone who has had money problems wih Premier, try going to your bank (most banks should include some kind of account protection when someone is taking unauthorized payments out of your account) and they will legally go after the Premier Fitness Club.

Shame on you Premier Fitness....!!!!!
Pat Muirhead-London

Saint Thomas, Canada

#8 Dec 3, 2007
I am having the same problem, premier fitness continues to take money from my bank account, I cancelled in Sept/06... it is never the same amount, I have made several calls to the club, went in person, they tell me the manager is either busy or not there....customer service reps indicate that I am still using the gym.....I assure them I am not, they will talk to the manager and get back to me.......they do not return my calls, I personally go there, and finally talk to the manager, he said "i promise you Pat that I will take care of this"....doesn't happen....I have contacted the City of London Police, and I am preparing a statement and hopefully they can help me out........I figure it is fraud.....Good luck trying to get the head office, one of the customer service reps gave me a number, you only get a voice mail message.....don't waste you time they don't call back
I have already tried the BBB, no luck, the BBB tried to contact them 6 times,....no response from premier fitness....BBB closed my inquiry.

I don't know what else to do
GoBLiN

Cambridge, Canada

#9 Dec 4, 2007
i WORK for premier fitness. for 3yrs left that gym to work for another fitness club called EXTREME FITNESS. after being there for 3months i left extreme and went back to premier...

look people as a general manager of a premier club i do my best to help each person in my club. if you talk to anyone of my members they would tell you that they love the club.

im sorry to see that people only post up bad things to say on places like this.
Poo-Stain

Montréal, Canada

#10 Dec 7, 2007
Ajaxspank wrote:
These types of clubs often lure potential members in with a free 30 day trail and when you sign off on the papers somehow you've also signed up for a year membership without know it. I know, Premier tried to do that with me a number of years ago.
My guess is they finally did this to someone who had some power and influence and made sure that they would be inspected for health and safety and made sure that the fine would stick.
You cannot believe the aggressiveness of these types clubs in collecting on contracts which people signed in error and in many cases never used the club.
I feel no sympathy for any healthclub being under investigation or convicted of anything. They haven't given their pound of flesh yet for everyone they screwed. I look forward to more health and safety news about healthclubs. Unfortunately for the owners of these clubs, it will only be put down as the cost of doing business for them and they will be back to their sleazy ways.
So...
Screwed up

AOL

#11 Dec 11, 2007
Premier Fitness in York Dale mall are extremely extremely deceiving. I canceled my membership over a year ago, the pool was never open, it was unsafe, the manager wasn't ever available, I got soo fed up that I paid everything I owed in 3 memberships I took (Husband, myself and mother), I asked to cancel my contract. The lady apologized and offer us for the headache a year free, but things didn't improve, the pool was open sometimes, the whirlpool was closed most of the times the place look dirty, we went couple times and realized that things were not going to change. A year after they start charging my account, they feel they just can come into my account and take my money... I'm tired of all the BS. I called and nobody ever answer nor they return my calls. Where can I file a complaint against them?

Since: Mar 07

Sugar Land, TX

#12 Dec 12, 2007
Screwed up wrote:
Premier Fitness in York Dale mall are extremely extremely deceiving. I canceled my membership over a year ago, the pool was never open, it was unsafe, the manager wasn't ever available, I got soo fed up that I paid everything I owed in 3 memberships I took (Husband, myself and mother), I asked to cancel my contract. The lady apologized and offer us for the headache a year free, but things didn't improve, the pool was open sometimes, the whirlpool was closed most of the times the place look dirty, we went couple times and realized that things were not going to change. A year after they start charging my account, they feel they just can come into my account and take my money... I'm tired of all the BS. I called and nobody ever answer nor they return my calls. Where can I file a complaint against them?
I'm not sure what it's call now, but it used to be the Ministry of Consumer and Commercial Affairs. If you go to the Government of Ontario website and search for Health Club, I'm pretty sure you will be taken to the right ministry and will find something on making complaints against them.
maria

Mississauga, Canada

#13 Jan 10, 2008
can anyone give me premiere head office number. have a huge issue with some manager who wouldnt let me pay up front, basically he told me to f*&^k off and hung up the phone, I depretley need the number.
maria

Mississauga, Canada

#14 Jan 10, 2008
he wanted me to sign on contract. i have money to pay upfront why would a mangaer of a club refuse my business. I am now thinking of going to Ballys because they will let me pay upfront.
Eryn

London, Canada

#15 Jan 14, 2008
Never again! Premier should be held accountable for all of the people they have taken advantage of. I cancelled my membership 5 days after joining, after finding that the facilities were understaffed and dirty. I was told I could only cancel through the manager and to leave him a message. After doing this 5 times I set up an appointment with the manager. I went in for the appointment and the manager was not in the office. The girl at the dest said she would take my credit card info and cancel it herself. A year later now, I am charged $860.00 on my credit card, and they say that I never cancelled. Now I am waiting and hoping my credit card company will do something about the issue!
shane

Waterdown, Canada

#16 Jan 14, 2008
My 2 year old slipped and fell on an un-mopped wet floor, had a concussion, huge goose egg on his forehead. The place had no 1st aid kit, no bags of ice, no chemical freeze packs. I had to buy a bottle of water in the lobbly to put on his head on the way down to the hospital.
Dr. said concussion no doubt..i cant beleive they had no 1st aid kit, or no one trained with any kind of first aid. BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN THERE.
cheryl

Ottawa, Canada

#17 Jan 16, 2008
How can this company be running! They have withdrawn over $100.00 in the last month from my account and I have not even been a member for over six months, and I certainly do not owe them any money. They are forcing me to close my chequing account, to protect myself from them stealing my money.
juicy

Mississauga, Canada

#18 Jan 17, 2008
premier is a joke, they stol money outta my account, i had to go to the bank and bring all these bank statements just to get my money back, then they wouldn't even give me a free month membership for all the hassle they caused me, not to mention they forced me into paying for personal training sessions that were never used, its pure b.s.

premier is a joke, a complete sideshow, its sad companies like that are allowed to be run in this country, maybe harper should stop focusing on afghanistan, and focus more on preventing companies from stealing our money.
mary

Canada

#19 Jan 18, 2008
call 1800 0 canada and they will have all the required numbers you ask for better than 411 good luck
health pro

Ancaster, Canada

#20 Jan 18, 2008
Premier is the worst gym going - hopefully people see this before joining. Scammers, deceitful, rude, aggressive, liars - what the hell are people thinking when they join?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mississauga Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three facing impaired charges (Apr '11) 13 hr 2 more 2
News Novamerican Steel Inc. Announces Its Name Chang... (Feb '09) Jul 1 KPUT 796
News Cummins' Redefining Tour rolls into Canada Jun 24 Alberta Home Scho... 1
News Mastermind of lucrative - grandparent fraud' re... Jun 22 telephone fraud 1
News Cuthand: First Nations' contributions key part ... Jun 22 Under the Scotsma... 14
News Milton Mayor poised to become the next Hazel Mc... (Aug '14) Jun 22 why jail still lo... 2
I found GroceryZap too good to be true Jun 21 jennalincon12 1
More from around the web