Future of Edmonton City Centre Airpor...

Future of Edmonton City Centre Airport up for debate

There are 2 comments on the CBC story from Apr 5, 2009, titled Future of Edmonton City Centre Airport up for debate. In it, CBC reports that:

Edmonton's City Centre Airport was the topic of a fervent public consultation in the city Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC.

iainm238

Glebe, Australia

#1 Apr 18, 2009
There is a forum for public participation in the decision about what to do about the City Centre Airport Land - well 5 forums actually they can be found here: http://www.eccalandspublicinvolvement.ca

Not much comment yet but I think this stage is only new.
mark f

Canada

#2 Jun 11, 2009
I first flew into Edmonton City Center airport in 1980. I found it a very useful access point to Edmonton . Since then I have lived 28 years in northern Alberta and Edmonton . My flying experience is roughly 25,000 hours in Alberta . As a pilot of both charter and medivac aircraft based in Edmonton , LacLa Biche, Slave Lake , Wabasca, and High Level I have flown more than a thousand trips into Edmonton City Center Airport . I have a few comments to make about the Airport.
- I have always considered the most dangerous part of my job to be driving on the highways north of Edmonton to get to the base that I fly out of. From their I can safely fly into the City. Unfortunately the airport authority prevents schedued flights out of their which could make getting to work much safer.
-for the majority of people the inconvenience and expense (whether by taxi or using carparks and shuttles) of going south to the international airport for a commuter flight to northern Albeta has outweighed the benefit and drastically reduced the number of flights available
- the reason the airport authority prevents these flights stems back to the mid 90's when a special interest group campained heavily against the airport, basically telling the people that their was a problem with Edmonton having two airports.
- the mis-information campaign was successful, and overall aviation activity into Edmonton was reduced
- now they are trying to tell us we don't need the airport for even medivacs or general aviation
- If the international airport was suitable for medivacs some of the 1000 medivacs I have flown would have been diverted there, so far this has never happened to me
- If a medivac was sent to the international, international carrieres would sometimes be putting their fuel guzzeling heavy jets into holding pattern due to the priority given to medivacs
- allowing 19 seat commuter airliners to use the airport would still keep it very quiet but enhance business trafic into the city center, thereby reducing the rate of movement of offices into Calary and probably reverse the trend
- Calgary could not compete with the convenience of this airport, however if we shut it down we can not compete with them because their international airport sits in a far more convenient location twice as close to the downtown as ours
- our choice is to keep and possibly expand the use of our cities greatest single asset, or just to throw it away for no particular reason
- we have the opportunity to keep this jewel of the city, to keep the beautiful diversity that makes a big city hum, one that saves lives steadily whether by medivacing people in or in keeping them out of the carnage on those highways going north
- it is not really a question of whether lives would be lost but rather how many. Shutting this airport down would add between 30 min to 1 1/2 hours to typical medivacs. The 30 min delay would apply to medivacs that could go directly to the Edmonton international or Calgary
- is it just me or do others find it a breath of fresh air in the city to drive by the airport, to see some open space, and to get the only decent view of the skyscrapers from the north side?
- is it just me or do others like to see airplanes on the ground, on the pedestals, and especially flying in and out of the heart of a bustling metropolis.
-any money gained from selling airport lands would be quickly lost making various infrastrusture, reclamation and road adjustments as the area gets clogged up with more traffic. Everybody should know that.
-it may be true that many city dwellers do not actually ever use the city center airport, however no single person will ever use all the pieces of a cities infrastructure. Cities are all made of many components, which working together keep a modern city functioning. The city center airport is one of those most valuble components. It costs nothing to keep it, but would be irreplaceble if lost

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Leduc Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lost cat to be reunited with owner after six years (Mar '15) Mar '15 Tim 1
Renting from 100 Sugar Maple Lane (Aug '14) Feb '15 Irate Renter 2
News Oct. 3, 1958: City report notes trend to suburbia (Jan '15) Jan '15 your city your st... 1
News Shale gas not worth the risk, Quebec environmen... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Kenny 1
News How Communities Keep It Industrial (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terry 1
News Some Leduc County residents seek compromise at ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terry 1
News Plans take off for Edmonton-area aerotropolis (Jan '15) Jan '15 Terry 1
More from around the web