What is crime rates like in Kelowna?

Posted in the Kelowna Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Karen

Sydney, Australia

#1 Oct 1, 2008
Know Hell's Angels have a setup there however, is there also gang warfare, drug and gun crimes from Indo-Canadian community similar to Surrey and Vancouver? There is a growing Punjabi community in Kelowna no?
westside

Westbank, Canada

#3 Jan 20, 2011
lots of drugs and fights
kraken

Richmond, Canada

#4 Feb 8, 2011
There are very few Indo-Canadians here. In fact, Kelowna is not a very multicultural city at all compared to other cities in Canada. It does have a high crime rate on a per capita basis and is purely due to drugs but that has nothing to do with other cultures.
UBCO

Vancouver, Canada

#5 Mar 16, 2011
Kranken is right. Crime does exist in Kelowna but it has literally nothing to do with indo-candians and everything to do with the failed drug war.
thinkingofmoving

Toronto, Canada

#6 Jul 3, 2011
UBCO wrote:
Kranken is right. Crime does exist in Kelowna but it has literally nothing to do with indo-candians and everything to do with the failed drug war.
My family, which is me, my wife and 18 month old son are thinking of moving from Toronto to Kelowna. The more I read, the more I am painting a mental picture of junkies terrorizing the streets and criminals everywhere! Can someone just give me an unbiased view of what it is really like to live there so I don't waste $5K on a scouting trip? Thanks, it truly looks to be the most beautiful place in the world.
Victoria Resident

Edmonton, Canada

#7 Jul 9, 2011
I too am looking at Kelowna for a move from the coast. The more I read, the more I am concerned. I think I'll look at the surrounding areas first. Kelowna seems attractive because of the great weather and less expensive housing than Victoria. BUT I see "crime" in every place I look on the web. Not great.
New Kelowna Resident

Kelowna, Canada

#8 Jul 30, 2011
I just moved to Kelowna from a small city west of Toronto, and I have not seen any crime since moving here 4 months ago. There are certainly some sketchy looking people in some parts of downtown, and the Rutland area....but what city doesn't have this? My opinion is to live west of the city, or north, or south. Glenmore and Quail Ridge are beautiful areas. My favourite so far for actually living. Downtown is fabulous for restaurants and shops, and walks along the lakeshore. I would not be afraid to move here for the crime, as I have read much about the crime rates (especially violent crimes) falling over the past years. I haven't had any experience in 4 months of the smallest crime. People here are courteous and polite; they hold doors for you, smile as you walk past, and give you their shopping carts when you forget a $1 for your own :) Nice town, nice people.
Totally unsafe city

Canada

#9 Aug 17, 2012
Just stayin at Fairfield Marriott hotel in kelowna in our one night stop .lock chain 3 kona bike in our bike rack. GOT STOLEN...it is totally not ideal place to live. It is too bad because kelowna is such a nice place and we were thinking of moving here but we are so disappointed ... What a shame....
Totally unsafe city

Canada

#10 Aug 17, 2012
Victoria Resident wrote:
I too am looking at Kelowna for a move from the coast. The more I read, the more I am concerned. I think I'll look at the surrounding areas first. Kelowna seems attractive because of the great weather and less expensive housing than Victoria. BUT I see "crime" in every place I look on the web. Not great.
I totally agree. We are stayin in Marriott hotel. And our 3 kona bikes got stolen....what a shame such a beautiful city but totally not safe to raise children...so disappointed....
paul shykora arts

Calgary, Canada

#11 Aug 25, 2012
...ahhhhh...like any other growing city,here...eh...
Dawn Cote

Flin Flon, Canada

#12 Sep 11, 2012
http://www.districtofwestkelowna.ca/Modules/S...
this is the crime rate from the police dep site
Jess

Vancouver, Canada

#13 Oct 1, 2012
My sister has raised kids here. It is a great place to raise kids. Drugs are a real problem, but they aren't any worse than in the GVRD.

My husband and I are moving up there away because it is such a great place to raise a family. Yes, you still have to keep an eye on your kids at all time, but you should anywhere you go.

Homeless people are not a problem so get over it. There's some gang activity, but there is most places. Educate the hell out of your kids. Do your homework when choosing the area of Kelowna you're moving to!
Potential grad student

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Dec 14, 2012
Dawn Cote wrote:
http://www.districtofwestkelow na.ca/Modules/ShowDocument.asp x?documentid=7321
this is the crime rate from the police dep site
These stats are from the toen of West Kelowna, not Kelowna. I can't find anything on this and I am concerned too. I would move with my wife and a 10 month old baby. I dont want them to be at risk while Im on campus.
Infernovideo

Montréal, Canada

#15 Dec 18, 2012
Page 5 of this doc has up to date info on the city of Kelowna.
http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/PDFs/Fina... 's%20Financial%20Plans/2012%20 Financial%20Plan/V-Police%20Se rvices.pdf
Infernovideo

Montréal, Canada

#16 Dec 18, 2012
Sorry that link didn't work. Here is a shortened version-
http://bit.ly/SOfmHi
Small town guy

Kelowna, Canada

#17 Jan 27, 2013
I have lived here in Kelowna for 22 years,Coming from a very small town of only 2,000 people I have found Kelowna a very nice place to live, yes there are a few problems, but find me a city in the world that doesn't have any, it gets a little crazy in the summer with the amount of people who come here to have fun in the sun. Here in kelowna I guy can golf,down hill ski, water ski, and
tons of other great things to do all in one day.
Sn0man

Edmonton, Canada

#18 Feb 18, 2013
Small town guy wrote:
I have lived here in Kelowna for 22 years,Coming from a very small town of only 2,000 people I have found Kelowna a very nice place to live, yes there are a few problems, but find me a city in the world that doesn't have any, it gets a little crazy in the summer with the amount of people who come here to have fun in the sun. Here in kelowna I guy can golf,down hill ski, water ski, and
tons of other great things to do all in one day.
Sure, as long as you move there with a couple million in the bank. Because you sure as hell won't find a job there, and even if you do, it will pay about half of what the same job would pay anywhere else. It's called the Sunshine Tax and every Kelowna resident knows about it and will be more than happy to explain just what that means. Everything is more expensive there - from food to clothing to housing to transportation.
Kelowna is a nice place to visit. It's not somewhere you want to live or try to build a career.
john worley

Dorval, Canada

#19 Feb 22, 2013
The problem with Kelowna and it exists in much of BC are the Judges. Police arrest criminals over and over again and the Judges let them off with a slap on the wrist.So, criminals know its a wonderful place to live at. They kind of laugh at the court system.
jason

Canada

#20 Mar 4, 2013
Theres crime in every city so get over it. Kelowna is nothing compared to Surrey so relax lol . Lived here 5 years and haven't had a problem
Traveler2057

Winnipeg, Canada

#21 Jul 7, 2014
Ive been reading information about raising a family in kelowna. For those who just moved in there, how was everything? We're going to visit kelowna and penticton this coming august. Which place is better in terms of safety, jobs, school and cost of living.?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kelowna Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ask-about-Islam bike riders to roll into Kelown... May 31 Kaybob 6
News O'Leary support base split on Bernier, official... May '17 Stop Statism 2
News Three accused in murder of B.C. gangster want c... May '17 LMLS 1
Buying May '17 High 1
News Accused stabber in court (Nov '07) Mar '17 Private 8
Moving to Kelowna, advice needed! Mar '17 mtraps 1
News Fugitive caught in Kelowna (Feb '08) Mar '17 MAR 20
More from around the web