Glen Murray announces bid for Ontario...

Glen Murray announces bid for Ontario Liberal Party leadership

There are 7 comments on the Calgary Herald story from Nov 4, 2012, titled Glen Murray announces bid for Ontario Liberal Party leadership. In it, Calgary Herald reports that:

The Ontario Liberal leadership race got rolling Sunday with its first campaign launch, as former cabinet minister Glen Murray kicked off his bid to succeed Premier Dalton McGuinty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Calgary Herald.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 5, 2012
I don't know enough about the realities of Canadian politics and political terms to have an opinion.

I'm pretty certain that this will not stop others, though.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#2 Nov 5, 2012
Being gay does not make him good. He needs to root out the graft and corruption that so characterizes the Ontario Libs. And the biggest scandal here with the Orange emergency air service was likely due to the choice of hiring by another gay guy, George Smitherman, when he was in charge of this. I don't know enough about this guy's history in Calgary, but hope he is better than McGuinty. Were he to be chosen he automatically becomes premier (equivalent to governor in the US) of Ontario.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Nov 5, 2012
So, you're saying that there's a problem with cronyism?

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#4 Nov 5, 2012
snyper wrote:
So, you're saying that there's a problem with cronyism?
Some gay people here believe Smitherman hired the Orange guy, who was the one accused of corruption, because he looked pretty. The was back when Smitherman was minister of health for the provice. Then he ran for mayor and lost. Later on, the corruption scandal (involving abuse of taxpayor money and unsatisfactory operational service) broke. Smitherman was out of politics by then as he did not get elected to be mayor of Toronto, but many believe McGuinty covered up the scandal.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#5 Nov 5, 2012
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Some gay people here believe Smitherman hired the Orange guy, who was the one accused of corruption, because he looked pretty. The was back when Smitherman was minister of health for the provice. Then he ran for mayor and lost. Later on, the corruption scandal (involving abuse of taxpayor money and unsatisfactory operational service) broke. Smitherman was out of politics by then as he did not get elected to be mayor of Toronto, but many believe McGuinty covered up the scandal.
Such stories don't get much play when they happen here in the U.S.... except when they do.

Hmmm. One wonders why.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#6 Nov 6, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Such stories don't get much play when they happen here in the U.S.... except when they do.
Hmmm. One wonders why.
When gay people start to get elected without their sexual orientation itself being an issue, they are subject to the same foibles and corruption as all other elected officials.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#7 Nov 6, 2012
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
When gay people start to get elected without their sexual orientation itself being an issue, they are subject to the same foibles and corruption as all other elected officials.
I wasn't really thinking about the orientation issue at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Handley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Australia's closing of Aboriginal communities s... Tue Dutch expat 36
News Gloomy economic news as Notley's cabinet meetin... May 30 WilliamRoberts 1
News Superyacht Marina Planned at San Juan, Puerto Rico May 28 allan 2
News Wynne says Canada's 'future prosperity' depends... May 24 Chuffed 2
News Alberta NDP rookie suspended over controversial... May 23 JohnInToronto 1
News Unions representing federal scientists protest ... May 20 innocent youth ca... 1
News Liberals turning deaf ear to local issues (Jun '09) May 16 hardly sick vs ot... 6
More from around the web