B.C. town grieves after police shoot ...

B.C. town grieves after police shoot jokester to death

There are 18 comments on the The Globe and Mail story from Nov 4, 2005, titled B.C. town grieves after police shoot jokester to death. In it, The Globe and Mail reports that:

Posted at 4:58 AM EST From Friday's Globe and Mail Vancouver -- Ian Bush was just being "a young fella" when he jokingly gave the wrong name to a police officer pouring out his beer outside a hockey game in ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Globe and Mail.

Steven Oscroft

American Fork, UT

#1 May 25, 2006
I have read some of the stories about the shooting death of Ian Bush, In those stories I have read comments made by Ian Bush's Sisters in which they say Ian was never in trouble with the law, and that Ian has no disrespect for Law Enforcement Officers. I cannot help but to observe that to lie to a police officer about your name, In a town as small as Houston BC, is nothing BUT disrespect, in effect he was telling that police officer that he thought the officer was an idiot. As for not having been involved with police in the past? Either Ian Bush's Sisters are liars, or they dont know their brother. I have a neice who was a friend of Ian Bush, however, I wonder what a 22 year old man would be doing with a 15 year old girl ( the law labels such people as pedophiles. My neice has told me of many instances that she and Ian were picked up by police while partying late at night. That tells me that there is a history of police activity with Ian bush. I think it is irresponsable of the news media to focus on comments made by family and friends who are in a mode of anger and sorrow and confusion. From what I have read in these news stories, family and friends are trying to paint a picture of Ian Bush as a perfect person, who wouldnt do anything wrong, all the while painting the police as murdering monsters. I think it would behoove the news papers in the area to do a better background of this man before he is beatified. I see this man as a pedophile who liked to get teenage girls drunk ( a violation of Canadian Law) and then do who knows what.
Pete Crump

Calgary, Canada

#2 May 28, 2006
Hey Steven whats your brother/sister doing when they allow their daughter to be out late, drinking with 22 year old boys. Suppling beer to minors is the law broken here, doesn't make him a pedophile. Man, this coming from the land where marrying 15 year old girls is seen as a right. Go back into the ketchen and help your wifes cook supper, idiot
Tish from BC

Vancouver, Canada

#3 Jun 2, 2006
Steven Oscroft....you are an idiot. For starters pedophilia (in Canada or any other country) involves sexual activity. You do know what that is don't you hun?? There is no evidence of any sexual activity in this case. As for you "having a niece" that was friends with Ian, it is far more likely that if a niece actually does exist, she is crying out for attention ( and is probably the 15 year old mentioned in your comment). In a town as small as Houston BC joking with a police officer is not only acceptable, it is also common place. The RCMP are good that way. I don't believe that anyone was trying to "paint a picture of Ian Bush as a perfect person." He was just a "good ol' boy" with no criminal record I might add. And as for the RCMP, they paint a picture of themselves well enough on their own. There are enough in-custody deaths each year, not only in BC but all of Canada, that the picture of "murdering monsters" is not too far off. Oh and by the way, if you know so much about Canadian Law, do you know what slander is?? Wait a minute...can you slander a dead man?? That's pretty low. Grow a pair Steven.
cops deserve death

Chilliwack, Canada

#4 Oct 6, 2006
hey who ever the cop is responsible for my cousin detah shoudl be put in jail for the rest of his life yeah you guys shot him in the back of his head from behind how cheapo ios that you goofes i can'ty beilve you guys did that shit fuck you all 3 cops of you guys and i am so sick of there crap ian did not derserve to die liek that goofe
Paul

Canada

#5 Oct 15, 2006
It is sad that a lot of kids who grow up without fathers or a strong male figure in their life end up having big problems dealing with authority, especially when the guy trying to exert that authority was so obviously a newbie.
You make fun of Newbies, you don't expect them to stand up to you when you are with your buddies.
Life wasn't very fair to Ian and he got righteously mad. Very understandable.
But the penalty for a determined effort to resist Arrest can be death, especially when you deal with a rookie cop.
It would better if they gave rookie cops Tasers, then the penalty for somebody like Ian losing his cool wouldn't be death.
Hey, Ian. I feel for you and your family, man.
Paul

Canada

#6 Oct 15, 2006
It looks the regular RCMP officers gave Ian a free ride on his previous escapades, because he was just a kid. But once he turned 21, he was going to get treated as a responsible adult, sooner or later.
When you said Ian was a "Good Old Boy", you were right on.
If he had been a little younger say 16, I am sure the Rookie cop would have treated him more carefully.
HKB

Canada

#9 Dec 12, 2006
Steven Oscroft wrote:
I have read some of the stories about the shooting death of Ian Bush, In those stories I have read comments made by Ian Bush's Sisters in which they say Ian was never in trouble with the law, and that Ian has no disrespect for Law Enforcement Officers. I cannot help but to observe that to lie to a police officer about your name, In a town as small as Houston BC, is nothing BUT disrespect, in effect he was telling that police officer that he thought the officer was an idiot. As for not having been involved with police in the past? Either Ian Bush's Sisters are liars, or they dont know their brother. I have a neice who was a friend of Ian Bush, however, I wonder what a 22 year old man would be doing with a 15 year old girl ( the law labels such people as pedophiles. My neice has told me of many instances that she and Ian were picked up by police while partying late at night. That tells me that there is a history of police activity with Ian bush. I think it is irresponsable of the news media to focus on comments made by family and friends who are in a mode of anger and sorrow and confusion. From what I have read in these news stories, family and friends are trying to paint a picture of Ian Bush as a perfect person, who wouldnt do anything wrong, all the while painting the police as murdering monsters. I think it would behoove the news papers in the area to do a better background of this man before he is beatified. I see this man as a pedophile who liked to get teenage girls drunk ( a violation of Canadian Law) and then do who knows what.
you didnt know him.
Pete Broccoli

Midland, MI

#10 Feb 7, 2007
I heard if no one is looking - the police are trained to shoot you in the head. All police are evil. Rumour has is they get brownie points for people that they kill in cells. And I also heard...

“It's the Desktop Search stupid”

Since: Mar 07

Osoyoos British Columbia Canad

#11 Apr 22, 2007
Anyone, Officials or otherwise involved in a cover-up / whitewash is an accessory
after the fact.

Who were the investigating officers?
Are they being charged?
Get Real

Hanceville, Canada

#12 Oct 8, 2007
Steven: aside from the pedophile comments, you are the most logical.
Tish from BC: Joking to a police officer is common and accepted, lying is common too, but not accepted. And yes, the media paints Ian as a good boy, and the police as the cover-up, killers. You have to be quite uneducated to think that the RCMP hires people, trains them to hate society and kill if you can. Can we grasp that Ian made a stupid and fatal mistake of attacking a rockie cop, which gave the cop the perception that he was losing his life. As for in custody deaths.....educate yourself. Any death while some one is arrested, even if they area at the hospital or if the guy dies in cells by himself, or the guy gets hit by a passing car while being arrested is an in custody death. The very small minority are from the gun or weapon of a cop.
Paul: another bias uneducated person. Did you attend the coroners inquest to hear the case....I thought not.
Pete: wow...you take the cake for being a bitter person that bases his smarts of rumour, hearsay, dogs barking and other unfounded stories. I heard that you were a rapist...must be true, because I heard it.
Spectate: a little education goes a long way...look beyond the crap on the net and news papers to find the truth......yes that means you don't have ot believe me, just look at the factual documents and stories of thoes involved to make an educated opinion.

It is sad that the coroner, Crown Counsel, and lawyers have reviewed the case and no one has said the police are at fault. I would like this to go to a civil trial so that the Bush family can hear it again that their son made an unfortunate mistake whiched casued the end of his life.
re the coroners inquest

Prince Rupert, Canada

#13 Oct 8, 2007
The inquest had been probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of 22-year-old Ian Bush.
The facts
Bush, 22, was in police custody when he was shot in the back of the head by Const. Paul Koester on Oct. 29, 2005. The two were alone in the RCMP detachment in Houston at the time, and Koester has maintained he shot Bush in self-defence. Bush was shot in the back of the head. Koester didn't give a statement at the time of the incident and was allowed to go home
Bush, a mill worker, had been arrested for having an open beer outside a hockey arena, and for giving a false name to police.
The jury recommended the use of audio-video recording equipment be made mandatory in interview rooms. There was no equipment in place the night Bush was shot.
As well, the jury said there should be a review process and a continuing education program for officers.
A coroner's inquest cannot lay blame against a person or agency, but can only make recommendations aimed at preventing similar deaths in the future.
Since Bush'e death, two more people died while in RCMP custody
Steven Oscroft

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Nov 28, 2007
Pete Crump wrote:
Hey Steven whats your brother/sister doing when they allow their daughter to be out late, drinking with 22 year old boys. Suppling beer to minors is the law broken here, doesn't make him a pedophile. Man, this coming from the land where marrying 15 year old girls is seen as a right. Go back into the ketchen and help your wifes cook supper, idiot
I agree that upplying beer to minors is a violation of the law, That makes ONE of my points. However, you should py a LITTLE more attention to what YOU are trying to say, We don't condone marrying 15 year olds.IDIOT, but I o hav a question for you.... whats a KETCHEN? re you iliterate? I think u should take some remedial english... then reply wth some sense of vocabulary
PGR

Coquitlam, Canada

#16 Dec 6, 2007
Do we really believe a so-called "rookie" officer decided to shoot someone "in the back of the head" just because he felt like it? Clearly no one would do such a thing unless it was necessary.
LAst week the police released photos taken of the officer right after the altercation. The way his family talks the officer shouldn't even be injured, which is not the case. HE has significant bruisng, is blooded and i beleve has a black eye.(I could be wrong about that one)
No one knows what happened in that room except the officer, and that doesn't automatically make him guilty.
Steven Oscroft

Salt Lake City, UT

#17 May 13, 2008
Pete Crump wrote:
Hey moron I have no idea why my sister let her daughter be out so late with "Adults" and yes, supplying any alcohol to a minor is a crime... so much for Ian being a "good boy". But when you get alcohol, adult men and minor fgirls that adore the adult man together in the woods... what do YOU think happens there, and just to set you right... Utah does NOT allow for adult men to marry 15 year old girls... and also to let you know... it is spelled Kitchen... not ketchen... time for a little remedial spelling.. maybe you could get hooked on phonics retard
Steven Oscroft

Salt Lake City, UT

#18 May 13, 2008
cops deserve death wrote:
hey who ever the cop is responsible for my cousin detah shoudl be put in jail for the rest of his life yeah you guys shot him in the back of his head from behind how cheapo ios that you goofes i can'ty beilve you guys did that shit fuck you all 3 cops of you guys and i am so sick of there crap ian did not derserve to die liek that goofe
Dude... what?
Donald

Kitimat, Canada

#20 Sep 20, 2008
There is a reason why there use to be a 6 foot height requirement for police officers. Shorter, smaller police officers of today who ride the tide of a society's "equal this and equal that" mindset find themselves scared in situations that more appropriately sized officers handled with comparative calm. The consequense of this results frightened police who are quick to use weapons of lethal force when it wouldn't otherwise be considered. Reinstating minimum height requirements would serve us all better.

How shameful for Canada to realize people are being essentially electrocuted by a Taser weapon without trial. In the state of Texas they at least offer them a chair. It scares me to see what is happening to our basic human rights in Canada. Protest very loudly and let your voice be heard before it's too late like in the time of Hitler.

Everyone deserves the right to live through their mistakes, including 21 year old boys and upset immigrants, etc.. Whatever happened to tolerance, understanding and human compassion?
BC resident

Chilliwack, Canada

#21 Nov 22, 2009
as for the guy "Get real" You shouldn't be advising others to get real when obviously you sound like you have a "sheltered life" and an unrealalistic point of view! Not all cops are "good guys" and not all cops are bad either. People are still "human" and sometimes make stupid mistakes. After reading all this - I don't see how anyone deserves to be shot from behind. That seems low!
imitchic

Rock Island, IL

#22 Dec 13, 2009
I live in Houston BC. When this happened, the people of Houston were stunned. I live just two blocks from where Ian lived and know alot of his friends. Maybe they are not angels but they sure aren't the devil either. Losing your life over an open can of beer is just plain wrong. If the police officer was not capable of handling the situation then he should not have been on duty. The fact that no video was in use is amazing. Why did the officer have his gun in the interogation room anyway. We always put them in lock boxes outside of the room. This whole thing stinks of a cover up, police investigating themselves, like the fox guarding the chicken coop.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Houston Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News B.C. Securities Commission accuses stock picker... (Dec '06) Sep '16 Tommy Ronayne 72
....FARMER..is..GOD,..not. (Jun '13) Jun '13 paul SHYKORA artist 1
...LUSH....NATIVE...Gardens.... (Jun '13) Jun '13 paul SHYKORA artist 1
Upcoming Provincial Election (Apr '13) Apr '13 A Concerned Citizen 1
News Susan Rice's Conflict of Interest - Major Holdi... (Dec '12) Apr '13 fukuda 2
News Todd Hamilton named new publisher of the Prince... (Nov '12) Dec '12 Patricia 2
News Huckleberry mine life extended (Mar '12) Mar '12 Ron 1
More from around the web