service dog was ‘upsetting’Shame on the people of Georgetown

Posted in the Georgetown Forum

jack

Georgetown, Canada

#1 Jun 27, 2013
Reaction to service dog was ‘upsetting’
Dear editor,
I am very upset. I was under the impression that the citizens of Georgetown were service dog savvy.
I was at the Georgetown Farmer’s Market recently. I use a walker and have a certified PTSD service dog that stays by my side. My dog is fully vested, his ID is clipped to his vest, the patches on his vest indicate to ask before petting and there are medical instructions in his vest (for ambulance workers).
There were some awesome people, but sadly, the majority were not. One man stopped, stared and pointed at us for several minutes. I am NOT a monkey in a zoo!
A multitude of people with their pet dogs seemed to think it was a good idea to have their pet “make friends” with my working dog.
A man sitting in front of the church kept calling and whistling to my dog. Several people kept touching and petting my dog.
It is a federal offence to interfere with a service dog doing its job. How is my dog supposed to alert someone to my medical issues if he is being distracted by other people?
People need to understand that my dog is no different than a wheelchair. If I was in a wheelchair would people be constantly touching me or harassing me with their pets?
Shame on the people of Georgetown.
Kerri Chaplin, Acton

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Media/Photo/Interview Advisory - BMO Bank of Mo... (Feb '08) 8 min mike tirico 4
News Habitat has interest in hotel (Apr '13) 21 min Bank interest 4
News Diversion program gives youths a a second chancea (Jun '09) 23 min not much hope 2
News Fire briefs: Sept. 30 - Oct. 6 (Oct '13) 45 min House fire Dawson... 3
Former minister Toews fights salary seizure 1 hr MP in more trouble 2
News Smoke alarm saves family (Feb '10) 1 hr gas xplosion NY city 4
News Students aid the food bank (Dec '09) 2 hr kids 2 pay 2days ... 4
More from around the web