Loss of Gallery is ‘devastating’check Mr. Helson out

Posted in the Georgetown Forum

steven

Hawkesbury, Canada

#1 Jan 31, 2013
Loss of Gallery is ‘devastating’
Dear editor,
Regarding the newly dedicated “Helson Gallery” at the Georgetown Cultural Centre.
While I appreciate the tremendous gift that Mr. Helson has donated to the town, I don’t think the Town council and the general public realize how devastating the loss of the Gallery is to local artists and groups.
I was invited to a meeting and tour of the new facilities to try to find alternate space for “community” art. There was precious little. I felt demeaned and marginalized. It was akin to telling the local theatre groups that the theatre was being given to a more culturally significant group from Toronto and that they should be happy just putting on skits in the lobby.
Could not a solution be found to at least share the “Gallery” facilities? Should not our Cultural Centre, funded by local taxpayers and donations, be more inclusive to all local art forms?
Laura Kingsbury, Georgetown
One Response to “Loss of Gallery is ‘devastating’”
Romance says:
January 31, 2013 at 11:43 am
If Mr. Helson wanted to showcase his own works exclusivly, he should have put his money else where. The comunity library is for the comunity. Local artists are part of the comunity. If local atists are to be left out in the cold, I for one will no longer support the various fund raisers, book drives etc. I will divert my money else where.
Like or Dislike: 3 1
joke

Hawkesbury, Canada

#2 Feb 3, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Complaint about June 18, 2013 Closed Board Meeting 1 hr Acton BIA 1
Toronto's ex-police chief to run for Liberals 3 hr Will Moya Help him 1
News Elite Edge lacrosse tops in U.S. field (Jan '10) 5 hr Bulldogs 2
News BIA wants boundaries expanded (Sep '09) 6 hr Achilles 6
why ontario votes liberal 10 hr STUPID 1
stifle it, sousa 10 hr HE IS NUTS 1
More Liberal hot air 10 hr ALL GONE 1
More from around the web