Shipbuilding contract holds $250M mystery

May 3, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBC News

Public Works Minister Rona Ambrose and Defence Minister Peter MacKay announced March 7 in Halifax that Ottawa will pay Irving Shipbuilding $288 million just to design - not build - a fleet of new Arctic offshore patrol ships.

Comments
1 - 4 of 4 Comments Last updated May 7, 2013
as it snows elsewhere

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Canadians are Savages

Manvel, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Typical in Canada. They pay for huge sums in drawings and photos but not actual objects.

Since: Jul 11

Waterloo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Canadians are Savages wrote:
Typical in Canada. They pay for huge sums in drawings and photos but not actual objects.
If you were any worth as a troll, you would know that we are getting the objects, they will just not be worth the time and money to build and operate them, which is worse.

Although sadly, you are somewhat correct when it comes to "typical". The government's willingness to spend any money on anything useful in the way of military equipment or ensuring our sovereignty in our part of the Arctic, has been pathetic at best over the last 35-40 years or so. That is regardless of which party has been in power.
The purchase of 4 subs from Britain is a prime example. We paid a ridiculous sum for them considering they had been out of service for longer than the class had been produced. I think one of them is finally operational after years of refit and repairs.

In the meantime, we could have purchased 4 subs of similar class from the US, for cheaper and they would have been servicable rather quickly.

These new "arctic patrol ships" are just another example. Initially we were going to build 3 heavy, armed icebreakers to patrol the Arctic and supply Arctic communities. These have since been downgraded to 5 slush pushers that will be pitifully under-armed and unable to operate in the hard, Arctic winter.

Apparently, some bean-counter thought 5 is better than 3, not realizing that no matter how many slush pushers they could build, 10 still couldn't do the job of one heavy ice-breaker.
Wanda

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••