Should I move to Halifax?

Should I move to Halifax?

Posted in the Halifax Forum

Daniel

Torrance, CA

#1 May 10, 2012
Hi everyone, I wanna immigrate to Canada and well it's easier to immigrate to Nova Scotia than other provinces. I'm basically planning to study in Halifax and stay there after graduation.
Do u think Halifax is a good choice? Is that a good city to live in? Would u say it's a friendly city? How's the job market?

Thanks,
Daniel.
Fran

Halifax, Canada

#3 May 20, 2012
The job market in Halifax is bad or it is for admin assistants.

Halifax is a friendly city and very BEAUTIFUL.
Inesa

Halifax, Canada

#4 May 23, 2012
Hey Daniel,

I immigrated to Canada myself from Europe. I moved to Toronto first and then to Halifax. I went to university in both places and they both have pros and cons but I found Halifax to work better for me.

Halifax has 3 universities to choose from. They all have pretty good reputation and the commute is relatively short.
I did not enjoy going to University of Toronto. It was too impersonal for me. My classes were around 2000 people and my commute 3 hours a day (i lived in the city)!!!

Despite being smaller, Halifax offers lots of selection for restaurants, bars, and entertainment. People are usually nicer/more laid back than bigger cities (although there are bad people here too just like in any other place).

The weather here is milder than most Canadian cities and you get to be close to the ocean.

Generally speaking the cost of living is cheaper than Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal.

The job market is not easy, however it is not impossible to find one, especially if you have a friendly personality. Some programs have coop options where you can work before finishing your degree.

I don't know if you have heard about the Ship building contract, but this will drive the economy and offer more job positions in the near future.

I am in real estate and I already see a lot of new investors interested in buying property in Halifax. The bad news is that rental prices will go up, but there will be more jobs to support the change.

I hope I helped. Let me know if you have any questions: [email protected]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Halifax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Designing a 'dream' computer 16 hr WerdnaYatlor 1
News Arrest warrant issued for Roman Catholic bishop... (Oct '09) Jul 19 one who knows you... 18
Apartment Ratings/Review in Halifax (Sep '10) Jul 14 curious 74
News Woman says she was made to feel 'like a liar' o... Jul 8 Ripost Repost Req... 8
SoLiD WoOd FuRnItURe FoR SalE Halifax Jul 1 merasakan 1
Lucy Decoutere Throws Bubbles Under Bus Jun '16 Dying Smoker 3
News Solar company leaves trail of unhappy customers... Jun '16 Dying Smoker 2
More from around the web