Looking for Artwork by Julius Zarand
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Susan Rubarth

Bridgewater, Canada

#22 Jul 24, 2011
Joel wrote:
I have an oil painitng by Julius Zarand that is a fall scene with a waterfall in it. It is signed by him and also says Halifax Nova Scotia 1963. I would like to sell it. Anyone interested please email [email protected] I can send you photos of it. I am in Virginia.
Hi, could you send me a pic of the painting. I might be interested in his landscapes.
Thanks,
[email protected]
Susan Rubarth

Bridgewater, Canada

#23 Jul 24, 2011
I may be interested in this could you send me a picture?
De Gerard

Ellsworth, ME

#24 Jul 27, 2011
Mr. Hyslop, if you mentioned my painting to Mr. Zarand, did he remember doing the one of my mother in law in Germany in 1942?
Don Hyslop

New Glasgow, Canada

#25 Jul 31, 2011
At the age of 98, his memory is not that great. Somedays are better than others and the next time we see him we will mention it again.
patrick

Lower Sackville, Canada

#26 Aug 16, 2011
Sad to say Julius has painted his last earthly painting. God Bless a truly remarkable man.
Don Hyslop

New Glasgow, Canada

#27 Aug 17, 2011
Yes, sadly that is true. Julius died yesterday and his funeral is on Saturday 11am at the Baptist Church in Chester.
Don Hyslop

New Glasgow, Canada

#28 Aug 22, 2011
At Mr. Zarand's funeral service on Saturday, had a chance to see some of the art he did for the Baptist Church in Chester. There was a beautiful painting of an angel standing by a bridge leading over a stream through the forest with beautiful light coming through the forest. Also some fine resoraton on a pair of chairs that had been brough from Europe and had been donated to the church. Following the service from the Baptist Church on King St. his ashes were laid to rest in the cemetary on the road to the golf course.
Vic

Budapest, Hungary

#30 Nov 4, 2011
Don Hyslop wrote:
Will mention you the next time I see him which may be this coming week. His memory is not the best but he seems to recall long term things better than short term things, so there is a chance he will remember you. Good to hear that you still are painting. Any chance of seeing any of your work.
Dear Don, hope you read this... I'm glad to find somebody who knew my great-grandpa (Julius Zarand was the father of my grandma). I know from Nova Scotia e-newspapers he passed away this August - the nursery home did not inform us, although my grandma sent him letters to that address as well (after we were informed by a public notary that he was placed there), so they must have been aware of the existence (and address) of his one-and-only daughter.:( It's such a pity to get informed of his death from the web, isn't it...?:( Do you know if there was any picture taken at his funeral? Or of his tombstone? Maybe it could bring some relief for my grandma to see where and how he is buried - if they did not get the chance to meet in person again.:( Thanks a lot, Viki
matt

Yarmouth, Canada

#31 Nov 7, 2011
new julius very well he lived with my father and his 2nd or 3rd wife fluer who was like a daugther to julius , we spents many hours talking about life , he will be greatly missed
R Simon

New York, NY

#32 Nov 16, 2011
I have a seascape that I believe Mr. Zarand titled "The Big Wave," which I bought from him personally in his gallery in Halifax, N.S., in 1965.
Don Hyslop

New Glasgow, Canada

#33 Nov 23, 2011
Vic wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Don, hope you read this... I'm glad to find somebody who knew my great-grandpa (Julius Zarand was the father of my grandma). I know from Nova Scotia e-newspapers he passed away this August - the nursery home did not inform us, although my grandma sent him letters to that address as well (after we were informed by a public notary that he was placed there), so they must have been aware of the existence (and address) of his one-and-only daughter.:( It's such a pity to get informed of his death from the web, isn't it...?:( Do you know if there was any picture taken at his funeral? Or of his tombstone? Maybe it could bring some relief for my grandma to see where and how he is buried - if they did not get the chance to meet in person again.:( Thanks a lot, Viki
Dear Vicki, I would like to respond but I would like to do so via e-mail rather than on this public web site. Please e-mail me [email protected] All the best,
Don
Don Hyslop

New Glasgow, Canada

#34 Nov 23, 2011
R Simon wrote:
I have a seascape that I believe Mr. Zarand titled "The Big Wave," which I bought from him personally in his gallery in Halifax, N.S., in 1965.
R.Simon, would love to see a photo of your painting.
Stephen Hellsten

London, Canada

#36 Dec 20, 2011
Vic wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Don, hope you read this... I'm glad to find somebody who knew my great-grandpa (Julius Zarand was the father of my grandma). I know from Nova Scotia e-newspapers he passed away this August - the nursery home did not inform us, although my grandma sent him letters to that address as well (after we were informed by a public notary that he was placed there), so they must have been aware of the existence (and address) of his one-and-only daughter.:( It's such a pity to get informed of his death from the web, isn't it...?:( Do you know if there was any picture taken at his funeral? Or of his tombstone? Maybe it could bring some relief for my grandma to see where and how he is buried - if they did not get the chance to meet in person again.:( Thanks a lot, Viki
Hi Viki.

My wife and I knew Julius very well (he was in many ways like a grandfather to me). I was surprised and saddened to hear that your family was not advised of Julius's passing by the Nova Scotia Public Trustee's office as I understand that your grandmother Marta (I am making a calculated guess that this is your grandmother) had written two letters which they were in receipt of documenting your family's connection with my friend. I had been contemplating writing to your grandmother prior to coming upon this forum by chance.

Julius and I have many shared memories. I also have many paintings of his as well as personal photographs etc. of his life some of which probably are of your family. It would be great to put names to faces. Would love to talk more but I think it would be more appropriate, given the personal and confidential subject matter, to do so directly via email rather than on a public forum.

If you are interested please send me an email. My email is: [email protected]

Best regards,

Steve
looking for a Jack Branch

Edmonton, Canada

#37 Mar 8, 2012
Im trying to find a Jack Branch in Hamilton, ON! I wonder if you are him... this is Laurie! Do you remember me??? please be in touch! laurie.cat.bennett @ mac.com
jack branch wrote:
I went to St. Marys Back in the 60tys for a short time under Professor Zerand he was very helpful he gave me some of his pastels as I was always painting in oils Ther was mention of me in the Halifax paper Professor Zerand said I showed great promise. Iam still painting But most of all I am so happy to learn that Mr.Zerand is still alive I have the Greatest respect for him and his art I was just a kid at the time,he was very kind and encouraging He likely wouldnt remember me but if you would say Hello for me Please Thank you Jack Branch
Wanda

Halifax, Canada

#38 May 7, 2013
Just wonder if your cataloge is completed? I have a few Julius' paitnings. I was very close with Mr. Zarand and know about his life, espiecially during the II World War. He was amazing men with so much passion in art. Lord Bless him!
Regards, Wanda
Halifax,NS Canada
.
scotian1 wrote:
I am trying to locate individuals who have artwork by former St. Mary's professor, Julius Zarand who would be willing to loan it to the University's Art Gallery for an exhibition of Mr. Zarand's work this coming November 09. If you are such an individual please get in touch. I need to compile a catalogue of possible items that can be loaned by the end of April.
contact: [email protected]
Wanda

Halifax, Canada

#39 May 7, 2013
I have few his paintings as well. Also, Mr. Zarand told me about his suffering, ecpecially back to II World War. He was amazing artist and humble men. Lord Bless Him!

My contact: www.nsspa.ca
Regards, Wanda S.
Jean quinlan Kelly

Halifax, Canada

#40 Jul 10, 2013
I have a beautiful seascape painted by Professor Zerand.we purchased it in 1963.He told us that he sketched it during a wild storm down in Herring Cove. and he sat among the rocks to do it.
we also have a lovely one by George Noseworthy.One by David Blackwood and one by Reg shepard.
My husband was a great lover of good art.He has since passed on but our children with be the owners of all of our beautiful art work when i am gone.
De Gerard

Ellsworth, ME

#41 Jul 22, 2013
Don, finally got portrait done in Munich scanned and tried to send it to your email address and it would not go through. Please email me at [email protected] and give me a good address to forward. thanks.
Don Hyslop

Kingston, Canada

#42 Aug 12, 2013
E-mail address is [email protected]
michelle comeau

Digby, Canada

#43 Feb 18, 2014
i also have an original Zarand, quite large a combo still life and landscape, painted in 1953, and given to my mother as she was an admirer and student of art at st. mary's, i am wondering what the average price of his work is...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Halifax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Accused sex offender Jeremy Daniel Oakley, alle... (Oct '08) Apr 25 Taffy1973 92
News U.S. navy documents shed a little light on info... Apr 16 next problem 1
Lucy Decoutere Throws Bubbles Under Bus Apr 3 deeee ecent 2
KHAN KAGE KHAT FIGHT - PC Leadership - PPV ! Apr 3 winnipeg losers 2
News Woman says she was made to feel 'like a liar' o... Mar '16 UNKNOWN 6
An Infographic on Gentrification Mar '16 TaylorMP 1
KPMG: O'Leery Buddy Burger Fortune Stashed Offs... Mar '16 Kevin is STILL Leery 3
More from around the web