First Prev
of 4
Next Last
asd

Canada

#63 Jan 4, 2010
Thank you Walt. I will look into standard tests in both cities. Good idea.
If anyone out there has a good experience at a public school I'd love to hear it.
Also, is there such thing as a public Catholic education in Halifax?
airdriemom

Airdrie, Canada

#64 Aug 4, 2010
calgary wrote:
any thoughts on moving from calgary to halifax alone? I've never been there and Im looking for a change.
I'm from Airdrie too. Did you get any info? Still thinking of moving to Halifax?
Jrv

Halifax, Canada

#65 Aug 7, 2010
We recently moved to Halifax from the US(Maryland). Halifax is a nice little place with its own beauty. The landscapes are gorgeous and there are lots of place within just a couple hours drive. The public Schools are good in the Clayton park area, though getting a house for rent is little tough. The people are very friendly and helpful. The only negative I see is the taxes, it is 15% sales tax which is little higher. If you are a member of Costco or buy things from a whole sale supermarket, you could compensate that. Also the pollution is little high, that you have to find a place(smokefree/petfree) if you are allergic to smoke and pets. It is also not that hi-fi compared to the US, but you'll get easily adjust to that, weighing the other pros. Get out and see places, you'll love the HRM and NS and Halifax. Overall it is a very nice place to live and raise kids. We already love it(moved to Halifax, less than a month ago).
Jrv

Halifax, Canada

#66 Aug 7, 2010
Mike wrote:
We are also planning to move back to the Halifax area after spending about a year and half out west (Edmonton and now Vancouver). Any suggestions on the best way to move our stuff back across the country? I don't think it's going to be cheap!
Mike: If you have not already moved yet, try this mover, AMS Transportation Services Inc., they are affordable and very good, I had a very good experience with them.
Bonbon

United States

#67 Aug 8, 2010
I am between moving to Halifax and Carolletown PEi. I am a single professional black femaale moving from a Caribbean Island and have lived in the States (NoVa) for 9 years).

What advicee can you give re: housing, cultural diversity and the singles scene for 40+?
Toront fan

Burlington, Canada

#68 Nov 24, 2010
Brown Guy wrote:
I just moved out to Halifax from Toronto/Hamilton. In my short experience so far, I find the people are generally much more friendly than those out in Ontario, certainly more welcoming.
Weather wise, it tends to rain quite a bit, but definitely less than the west coast does.
You'll also find the cheapest housing market in Canada on the East coast, since most people are typically drawn away from the maritimes, so you get a lot for your money out here.
Job market for certain positions is also high since there is a shortage of workers in certain professions.
Hey Brown Guy, What kind of shortages in what field? I'm considering moving from Toronto..
Robert

Scarborough, Canada

#69 Dec 20, 2010
Jeanette wrote:
Halifax is a wonderful place to live. Nowhere is perfect, and I have my complaints but I'd have them anywhere. My husband is also from the US, and loves it here. He's been here now for 11 years and while we love our vacations to the US, but our home is here, and we love raising our kids here. If you need any real estate advice, I'm all ears, I just happen to be a real estate agent.:-)
Hi Jeanette - Me and my family are going to be moving to Halifax area from Toronto and we need a good agent to assist us in finding a good home in that area - How can I get ahold of you to help us out?

Robert

Since: Jan 11

Dartmouth, Canada

#70 Jan 12, 2011
Just moved here (nova scotia - Halifax) from Ontario and the rent & food prices out here sucks..

Rent:
Was paying in Ontario 750.00 for a huge 2 br + large walk-in storage in apt with heat/H20/electric included in the rent..

Food:
Ontario you pay less for good aswell.
Boneless Chicken Brest in Ontario would cost $10.00 but yet in nova Scotia your paying twice the price same pack of Boneless Chicken Brest in nova scotia will cost $22.00

Like what gives?? I swear I'm setting up a site to boycott this province

Taxes just went up
Gas/Water/electric prices all went up aswell.. This province is a rip off.
Michelle

Grande Prairie, Canada

#71 Jan 12, 2011
As a newcomer myself, I have to say that I love the lifestyle. It's the biggest small town you'll ever live in! The winter is WARM!! The people are FRIENDLY!(I came from Saskatchewan.) The ocean rhythms set their own "island-style" pace.

Utilities get hiked randomly no matter where you live. As for groceries, explore the different food chains and you'll find the prices comparable at some of them, even more so if you shop the sales. Rent is much lower if you move off the peninsula or main areas of Dartmouth. The commutes are very relaxing, and the bus service goes out a very far way!
Thomas

New Westminster, Canada

#72 Jul 18, 2011
Jeanette wrote:
Halifax is a wonderful place to live. Nowhere is perfect, and I have my complaints but I'd have them anywhere. My husband is also from the US, and loves it here. He's been here now for 11 years and while we love our vacations to the US, but our home is here, and we love raising our kids here. If you need any real estate advice, I'm all ears, I just happen to be a real estate agent.:-)
I'll be moving to Halifax from Vancouver within the next year and will be looking to buy a home there. Is there a way to contact you directly?
Thomas

New Westminster, Canada

#73 Jul 18, 2011
Wazinaname wrote:
This is happening in Halifax:
For more information:
http://community.active.com/thread/40043
Sounds like you want Halifax for yourself.

I'm sorry, but if the document is true, I can't wait to move to Halifax.
John

UK

#74 Jan 19, 2012
Me and my wife are thinking of moving to Halifax from the UK I'm white she is black will this be an issue for people. We have no problems in the UK but don't want to move somewhere that we will feel unwelcome.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#75 Feb 28, 2012
Corrupt medical system. I am from the West and I hate this Province.
SteveN

Orleans, Canada

#76 Apr 30, 2012
My partner and I moved from Vancouver to Ottawa five years ago because I landed a job here; however, because of budgets and, now, mounting lay-offs, I've lost my job and my partner, originally from Cape Breton, wants to move back to Nova Scotia. I've visited Halifax once and loved the area. We're looking for a more rural area to live and have a little land to have a vegetable garden; we're wondering a few things:

1) How safe is the area for gay couples?

2) What are the Eastern Shores area like (Porters Lake, Lawrencetown, Cole Harbour)?

3) What is the job situation like? We're both teachers (he is an ESL teacher; I have my doctorate and work in the area of sociology of education)

Thanks
Inesa

Halifax, Canada

#77 May 23, 2012
Hey Steven,

I moved to Halifax from Toronto. It wasn't supposed to be a permanent move but I fell in love with the city and decided to stay here.

I found it to be friendlier, cleaner and more affordable.

The gay community here is very supported. Sure there are homophobic people here too, but you find that everywhere. For the most part noone will discriminate you because of your sexual orientation. I am friends with a lot of people in the gay community and I haven't really heard them complain. They also have a gay bar here that has been open for a few years that offers good entertainment.

Generally speaking Porters lake, Lawrence Town and Cole Harbour are good family areas. There are a lot of schools there too for kids. They say it is usually foggier there because of the proximity to the ocean, but some people do not mind that.
Houses are a bit cheaper than the Halifax side, and there are a lot of new constructed subdivisions. If you need any help with finding a home I would be happy to help you out.(I work in real estate :)

If you have a doctorate you are better off trying to work at the Universities here. We have 3 in the city. Dal(the biggest one), St. Mary's and Mount Saint Vincent. These are about 20-35 minutes away from the Eastern shores.

Public transportation sucks here! If you are considering a permanent move I suggest buying a car. If you have a good driving record insurance is very cheap. I pay around $80/month for full coverage.

Food is a bit more expensive than the rest of Canada, but not by much. On the other side, housing is cheaper than Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. The ship building contract will make the rental prices go up. But this will be supported by more job opportunities.

I hope I helped. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions: inesa.manaj@century21.ca
emmy

Halifax, Canada

#78 Sep 27, 2012
what about rocking ham were a awsome school we have monthely awards we do the terry fox run we have sand up agenst bullying day and we all whear pink we have a school mascot rocky the rhino and we even got stuffed animals and we certanly do NOT have bullys we have pals they teach kids games outside and peermediators they help if two kind get in alittle fight and i got a letter today and it saidI was part of the team we even miss school for a traning day.
Lifesaver

Halifax, Canada

#79 Apr 15, 2013
WARNING to ALL. Never Move to NS. Just visit.
Learn from my mistake and those of many others before me.

The Province is almost as expensive as Vancouver to live in when you factor in their tax rates on everything. For ever 50K you would pay $3200 more on income taxes. Property taxes are through the roof and there is a monopoly on oil, electricity etc so expect to pay at least double compared to what you are currently paying.

Also the job market does not exist, so NEVER move here without a good job in hand. I have been here 8 months with a MBA degree and many years of senior management experience.

There is work available but is it almost ALL Temp work as all business' in the area use temp agancies as opposed to hiring full time workers. Almost all jobs only pay $10.50 -$11.00 and hour which is barely livable and I went from a Corporate Office to working 7 days a week including retail just to make ends meet. You need to work with a company for a minimum of 6 months as a temp to earn a 27-28K job which would be 55-60 in Ontario or elsewhere. Then they tax heavily on everything including groceries so it's essentially less then welfare.

If you are aboriginal or on welfare though, this is the province where you thrive. But if you need to work to make a living this is essentially Canada's graveyard.

Once they get you in the Province you become to broke to move out. Hope this saves at least one person. It is not an exageration it is 100% that bad here to live here.
chuck

Halifax, Canada

#80 Jun 6, 2014
If you are nuts its a good place I am here for 70 years

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Halifax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nothing to fear from common defence with Americ... Nov 22 really 1
Accused sex offender Jeremy Daniel Oakley, alle... (Oct '08) Nov 21 Unknown2014 68
Apartment Ratings/Review in Halifax (Sep '10) Nov 20 anonymous 41
Visa denial for Filipina nurse 'frustrating and... (Dec '13) Nov 11 dafacts 2
Developer George Armoyan banned from city build... Oct 29 Anonymous City Lover 1
CherryBerry Halifax Oct '14 bsain170 1
Ebola risk low for Islanders: Morrison Oct '14 still a mess 1

Halifax People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:51 am PST