Why should we move to Halifax?

Posted in the Halifax Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#1 Dec 2, 2007
We are moving back to Canada after a 18 year stint in the USA. I am originally from the West Coast. Halifax is one of two options we are considering. Any reason why we shouldn't?
Get off my lawn

Halifax, Canada

#2 Dec 10, 2007
Con: Mayor Peter Kelly is a douche?

Pro: But im sure he will be voted out this time. Other then that, its all pros to move here :)

Location hidden

#3 Dec 10, 2007
Get off my lawn wrote:
Con: Mayor Peter Kelly is a douche?
Pro: But im sure he will be voted out this time. Other then that, its all pros to move here :)
LOL. thanks. I'm making a trip there in February to check things out(housing, entertainment, schools ect). I figured the best way to go would be to go when everyone has had enough of winter.Then I'll know if we can handle it.
Rachael

Grande Prairie, Canada

#4 Dec 22, 2007
Halifax is a wonderful place to raise a family...yes we have crime and youth issues. Don't we all? Do research of local schools and get to know your neighbours, you never know when you might need them. We do have cold winters but much colder in Montreal or Toronto. Anywhere in the Maritimes is a wonderful place to live.....

Location hidden

#5 Dec 22, 2007
Rachael wrote:
Halifax is a wonderful place to raise a family...yes we have crime and youth issues. Don't we all? Do research of local schools and get to know your neighbours, you never know when you might need them. We do have cold winters but much colder in Montreal or Toronto. Anywhere in the Maritimes is a wonderful place to live.....
Thanks, I'm looking forward to being near the ocean again. I always lived no more than a block from the ocean in Sidney. We have 7 kids, I think it would be good for them.
David

Vancouver, Canada

#6 Jan 1, 2008
Where are you moving from?

We're in Vancouver and can't wait to move back to Halifax.
ucantbsrius wrote:
We are moving back to Canada after a 18 year stint in the USA. I am originally from the West Coast. Halifax is one of two options we are considering. Any reason why we shouldn't?

Location hidden

#7 Jan 2, 2008
David wrote:
Where are you moving from?
We're in Vancouver and can't wait to move back to Halifax.
<quoted text>
Right now we are in Ohio. We've gone from Washington state to Florida to Ohio. I'm from Victoria,B.C. My wife is from Jacksonville, Florida.

What makes the East Coast special. Sounds like you miss it.
Brown Guy

Moncton, Canada

#8 Jan 12, 2008
I just moved out to Halifax from Toronto/Hamilton. In my short experience so far, I find the people are generally much more friendly than those out in Ontario, certainly more welcoming.

Weather wise, it tends to rain quite a bit, but definitely less than the west coast does.

You'll also find the cheapest housing market in Canada on the East coast, since most people are typically drawn away from the maritimes, so you get a lot for your money out here.

Job market for certain positions is also high since there is a shortage of workers in certain professions.

Location hidden

#9 Jan 13, 2008
Brown Guy wrote:
I just moved out to Halifax from Toronto/Hamilton. In my short experience so far, I find the people are generally much more friendly than those out in Ontario, certainly more welcoming.
Weather wise, it tends to rain quite a bit, but definitely less than the west coast does.
You'll also find the cheapest housing market in Canada on the East coast, since most people are typically drawn away from the maritimes, so you get a lot for your money out here.
Job market for certain positions is also high since there is a shortage of workers in certain professions.
thanks
Brown Guy

Moncton, Canada

#10 Jan 13, 2008
I also forgot to mention that Vancouver has the most expensive housing market in Canada as well compared to Halifax, which has one of the lowest.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 13, 2008
Brown Guy wrote:
I also forgot to mention that Vancouver has the most expensive housing market in Canada as well compared to Halifax, which has one of the lowest.
I am from Vancouver Island originally. I know I don't wish to pay that kind of price for housing.Thanks again for your input. We have moved all over the states. We are getting ready to slow life down. Not that we are ready to retire. I'm 48 my wife 39. We just wish for a more peaceful existence. It is hard seeing so much violence and harm that is daily news here. I'm looking forward to it.
Josh

Lower Sackville, Canada

#12 Jan 29, 2008
ucantbsrius wrote:
<quoted text>LOL. thanks. I'm making a trip there in February to check things out(housing, entertainment, schools ect). I figured the best way to go would be to go when everyone has had enough of winter.Then I'll know if we can handle it.
Schools are terrible in halifax, the valley(country) is much better for schools. I grew up in halifax and am 22 now, schools have only gotten much worse. Violence is awful in halifax schools, so bad that many have police officers IN the school. For an adult halifax is great, but only the south end of halifax is safest. The north end is very dangerous, a lot of crime and gang related shootings and stabbings. Spryfield is bad too. The west end of halifax isn't too terrible but if you are looking for safety, southend is where you should be. Get an alarm system if you have a house here as there are many break ins in halifax. I've had no problems since I moved back here, but the schools were so bad my parents moved me to the valley till I finished high school, now I live in halifax alone on my own for a while now. hope this is helpful. Remember, southend halifax!! It's very safe, even at night. everywheres else is not so good.

Location hidden

#13 Jan 29, 2008
Josh wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools are terrible in halifax, the valley(country) is much better for schools. I grew up in halifax and am 22 now, schools have only gotten much worse. Violence is awful in halifax schools, so bad that many have police officers IN the school. For an adult halifax is great, but only the south end of halifax is safest. The north end is very dangerous, a lot of crime and gang related shootings and stabbings. Spryfield is bad too. The west end of halifax isn't too terrible but if you are looking for safety, southend is where you should be. Get an alarm system if you have a house here as there are many break ins in halifax. I've had no problems since I moved back here, but the schools were so bad my parents moved me to the valley till I finished high school, now I live in halifax alone on my own for a while now. hope this is helpful. Remember, southend halifax!! It's very safe, even at night. everywheres else is not so good.
Thanks, very good to know

Location hidden

#15 Feb 6, 2008
Natasha - Halifax NS wrote:
Your wife is from Florida and you are from Victoria. Do you think that you will be able to deal with the winters?
We live in Ohio now. She's lived in Connecticut. I've spent large amounts of time in all parts of the country in all types of weather.
Lynn

Sidney, Canada

#16 Feb 11, 2008
Hi, it's odd that I found your post! I live in Sidney BC and am moving to Halifax in April 2008. I grew up in the Maritimes and can't wait to get back. Looking for a reasonable way to move my stuff and was hoping you might have some advice as I'm sure you've looked into your options. No furniture, just a vehicle and about 10'x10'x10' worth of boxes. Thanks.
Lynn

Sidney, Canada

#17 Feb 11, 2008
Oops! Sorry...didn't see that you were moving from Ohio. Please disregard my post.

Location hidden

#18 Feb 11, 2008
Lynn wrote:
Hi, it's odd that I found your post! I live in Sidney BC and am moving to Halifax in April 2008. I grew up in the Maritimes and can't wait to get back. Looking for a reasonable way to move my stuff and was hoping you might have some advice as I'm sure you've looked into your options. No furniture, just a vehicle and about 10'x10'x10' worth of boxes. Thanks.
I grew up in Sidney
Jeanette

Dartmouth, Canada

#19 Mar 1, 2008
Halifax is a wonderful place to live. Nowhere is perfect, and I have my complaints but I'd have them anywhere. My husband is also from the US, and loves it here. He's been here now for 11 years and while we love our vacations to the US, but our home is here, and we love raising our kids here. If you need any real estate advice, I'm all ears, I just happen to be a real estate agent.:-)

Location hidden

#20 Mar 1, 2008
Jeanette wrote:
Halifax is a wonderful place to live. Nowhere is perfect, and I have my complaints but I'd have them anywhere. My husband is also from the US, and loves it here. He's been here now for 11 years and while we love our vacations to the US, but our home is here, and we love raising our kids here. If you need any real estate advice, I'm all ears, I just happen to be a real estate agent.:-)
Great, I was supposed to go in Feb. But we had a couple of kids get pretty sick. Their getting better and I will have to redo my plans.
Ed T

Halifax, Canada

#21 Mar 13, 2008
Did you enjoy your Feb visit?

People are friendly

I disagree with Josh, outside a few inner city areas, it is very safe any time of the day or night.

You are close to the ocean and small town and rural delights.

There is a good night life, many bars and small entertainement venues for the size

It is mainly a government and university town

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Halifax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Apartment Ratings/Review in Halifax (Sep '10) Apr 29 KWhite 51
under stall Apr 20 center-life 1
News Accused sex offender Jeremy Daniel Oakley, alle... (Oct '08) Apr 7 tdot 70
News Voice of the People | March 16, 2015 Apr 7 Spragge 1
News Passengers say Air Canada flight hit power line... Mar '15 Max 2
News Air Canada plane skids off Halifax runway after... Mar '15 landed be4 runway 1
News Trout Point Lodge to charge up Teslas Mar '15 Tin 1
More from around the web