Darcie West charged in Fredericton hi...

Darcie West charged in Fredericton hit-run that killed CBC producer

There are 178 comments on the www.cbc.ca story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Darcie West charged in Fredericton hit-run that killed CBC producer. In it, www.cbc.ca reports that:

Canadian Crime News: Atlantic:

2 others arrested

2010 02 10

CBC News

A 20-year-old woman has been charged in the hit-and-run death of Dianne Trottier, a CBC producer who had been crossing a Fredericton street in her wheelchair in 2009.

Trottier, 33, who worked for CBC News in Toronto, was hit by a vehicle while crossing at a crosswalk on Aug. 29. She died later in hospital.

Darcie Victoria West of Chipman, N.B., is charged with attempting to obstruct justice by destroying evidence, threatening violence against people to impede justice, and failing to stop to offer assistance, knowing that she was involved in an accident.

She has not entered any pleas. She remains in custody pending a bail hearing on Monday.

A 28-year-old woman and a 50-year-old man who were also arrested in connection with the accident have both been released on a promise to appear in court on March 31.

Police believe West was the driver of the Chevrolet Cobalt that struck Trottier as she crossed the intersection of Regent and Beaverbrook streets in her motorized wheelchair.

West and the other woman were arrested Tuesday afternoon. The man was arrested on Wednesday.

Police have not said how they found the suspect car, but Fredericton police Const. Ralph Currie said tests concluded the dark blue Chevrolet Cobalt was the vehicle in the fatal hit and run.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cbc.ca.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
a mom

Fredericton, Canada

#164 Apr 28, 2010
Tisktisk wrote:
I have to agree with deeplysaddened. Once again a mom is shifting the blame, something that the guilty love to do. Why take responsibility for your own mistakes? If you can convince weak minded people to believe in your lies it makes you feel better about yourself! Shifting blame is as natural as breathing for these low-life people, just as taking the easy way out is second nature.
Do you know the child is 5 or 6, so if the mother is guilty of somthing we shoul go after her child.
fly on the wall

Brampton, Canada

#165 Apr 28, 2010
New Brunswick does not have nut cases on here...we do however point out the ones breaking the laws....
a mom

Fredericton, Canada

#166 May 4, 2010
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNews/2010/04...

I love this, its from Halifax, If online comments made about a person are abusive or endanger the the life of a child, they have to give you the name of the person making the coments and you can sue them. I love it.
fly on the wall

Brampton, Canada

#168 May 4, 2010
No where does it say that...

An alternative weekly newspaper in Halifax has been ordered to release information about seven anonymous online posters.

Two fire officials claim they were defamed last April through comments that were posted to a story on the online version of The Coast, about allegations of racism within the Halifax regional fire service, CBC News reports.

On Wednesday, a Halifax court ordered the newspaper to hand over information they had about the identities of the seven posters, including login information and IP addresses.
a mom

Fredericton, Canada

#169 May 5, 2010
Heard the rest of it on news on the radio, the reason for getting the names and address were so that they could file a Slander and Defamation of Character suit.
a mom

Fredericton, Canada

#170 May 5, 2010
Endangering the life of a child is also another good reason to get the names and addresses.
I know the law

Saint John, Canada

#171 May 5, 2010
That knife cuts both ways on two levels. (1.) The complainant’s information is also made public knowledge and he or she is put on notice by law officials (2.) The complainant then becomes under investigation by child services as to his or her level of fitness as a guardian of the minor, the risk’s are greater than the potential gain.
freedom fighter

Saint John, Canada

#172 May 5, 2010
Freedom of speech

As children we are taught to have thick skin and to ignore comments we consider distasteful; if you haven’t learned tolerance by adulthood then the same is on you.

Anonymity on the internet relates no differently from newspapers that publish letters to the editor and help columns; they both allow the letters to be anonymous with publishing at the discretion of the editor. No case can be won against a litigant in a Canadian court without a signed disclaimer from the original author; with the hefty cost of a long court battle that falls squarely onto the shoulders of the plaintiff. The decision to allow anonymous posts rests on the publisher of the newsgroup, not on the author. After that point the any negative fall-out lands at the feet of the publisher, as he or she had the opportunity for censorship. The philosophy of 'netiquette' relies on the diplomacy of the web-page publisher; it is not the responsibility of its contributors.

No legal restrictions or types of legislation have been created for the purpose of internet censorship to date. Canada is much like the US where their law has ruled that anonymity is protected under the First Amendment to the Constitution.(22) This was further exemplified in the Supreme Court decision on the case of New York Times Co. vs. Sullivan. The court stated that “an author’s decision to remain anonymous is an aspect of the freedom of speech protected by the First Amendment”.

People who have nothing to hide are against restriction that abuse human rights; Imposing Internet Control will bring us one step closer to China! Look at what they do to their citizens who speak out. I believe the digital community can regulate itself. It is not unlike any other form of adult entertainment, we rate it and we view it at our own peril. Most of us have enough intellect to disregard the rubbish.

Once more anonymity on the internet has proven to be extremely effective in promoting freedom of expression. It can be equally beneficial and some-what compared to certain self-help groups the way that it gives people an outlet for their opinions, even controversial ones.

We risk loosing institutions such as Crime stoppers who maintain an anonymous hot-line for individuals to report information about crimes. Anonymity is necessary and should not be put under a microscope.

Speaking your mind is a good thing particularly where there is a sounding board available. It often helps to process ones thoughts and anger in a healthy manner. Anonymity on the internet provides people a voice for opposing views as well as an opportunity for reaction. It can have a cathartic effect in many ways without physically hurting people.

Time has proven where there is an urgency for names, an old-fashioned lynching is in the works! School-yard bullies rarely grow up.
aperson

Moncton, Canada

#173 May 5, 2010
You are so right, school yard bullies rarely grow up, they just post hateful remarks that they are too cowardly to say to someone face, on the internet.
concerned

Fredericton, Canada

#174 May 6, 2010
this is from the driver's hand book that is given to every person getting a driver's licence,,so they will know the law and respect it!! I would like to know why all of them are still driving around?
pg 40..." Traffic on the highway- Rules of the road. 4.1 COLLISIONS- The driver of any vehicle involved in a collision causing death or injury to ANY person or property damage MUST stop at the scene of the collision, give his/her name, address, the registration number of his/her vehicle along with the liability insurance card and show his/her driver's licence to the PERSON STRUCK or to occupants of any vehicle collided with or to a witness and shall RENDER ALL REASONABLE ASSISTANCE to ANY INJURED PERSON"
"Reporting Collisions- Collisions resulting in DEATH or injury to ANY person, or total property damage to an apparent extent of $1000.00 or more must be reported IMMEDIATELY to the nearest office of the royal canadain mounted police, or if in a town or city, to a member of the local police.
Collision reports MUST be forwarded to the registar of Motor Vehicles within 24 hours.
THE REGISTAR OF MOTOR VEHICLES IS AUTHORIZED TO SUSPEND THE OPERATING PRIVILEGES OF ANY PERSON FAILING TO REPORT A COLLISION. " PG 40-41 of the student driver's hand book,,,, so could someone please tell me how Tiffany is still driving around in the same car the she tried to hide and cover up for so long.
sure makes a person wonder why we have laws???
If i went out and shot a deer they would take my licence, but she can run someone over, try to cover it up and still drive the same car she did it with, with a smile on her face,,, god I am so thankful that you gave me a brain and that you gave me morals!!! thank you dear lord!!!!!!!
sorry for spelling mistakes,,, this makes me sick and i wrote it fast,,,, I might have some grammer and spelling mistakes but I promies to who ever reads DRUNK, STONED, or SOBER if i hit you i will stop!!!!!!!!
One over

Toronto, Canada

#175 May 6, 2010
To "A mom" - since you got too much heat when your name was "Darcie's mom" you were smart to change your name. Too bad you didn't change the way you write, what you say, where you are from and who you constantly defend. Here's a tip for your mental health: stop obsessively reading these comments so you won't be compelled to make ludicrous defenses of your criminal daughter. Rest assured there is NOTHING you can say to convince the public to view Darcie with anything but contempt, so stop trying. Maybe instead you could use all that spare time doing some charity work, reading some self help books or researching what your offspring will ever be able to do with her future and a criminal record.
a mom

Fredericton, Canada

#176 May 6, 2010
lmao------Sorry Sherlock, but I am not Darcies mom.

“Canadian Crime News”

Since: Dec 07

Moncton

#177 May 6, 2010
Darcie West gets 2 years for fatal hit and run of Dianne Trottier

2010 05 06

CBC News,Fredericton, New Brunswick

http://www.topix.com/ca/moncton-area-nb/2010/...

=
Anti-NB

Toronto, Canada

#179 Jun 13, 2010
I hope Darcie West gets killed in prison!
blahblahblah

Chipman, Canada

#181 Jul 11, 2010
and it really doesnt matter what we say on here...the people that are bashing on here obviously have nothing better to do...get a job....take care of your own familys...and the ones that are just plain losers and have no life..maybe it time to get one....everybody makes really stupid mistakes sometimes..its OVER...move on already....its not like this is the first crime in the world....just thought I would thought that out their....go ahead and bash me causse we know your gonna..pathetic people grow up...this is my forst and last time on this site..it sickins me...
Mathias

Canada

#182 Dec 19, 2011
Anyone hear that Darcie is back behind bars? Any truth to that?
Darcie

Canada

#183 Jan 28, 2012
Why don't some of u people grow enough balls to leave say this stuff to my face I got big shoulders
Darcie

Canada

#184 Jan 28, 2012
And no I'm not behind bars I'm right here :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredericton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Help me welcome!!!!! (Jan '16) Jul '16 RaRa 3
News New album gets a hot start for country singer T... Apr '16 Prince 1
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! (Nov '15) Nov '15 Fredericton deliv... 1
News Beaver Dam standoff ends peacefully (Jun '15) Jun '15 TomFan 1
News Eastern Canada Winter Storm Update (Feb '15) Feb '15 freethinkradio do... 1
News Canada vs. ISIS: Special Forces Engages In 2 Mo... (Jan '15) Jan '15 cant plan a tour 1
News Heavy snow? Freezing rain? Bitter cold? Canada ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 LITTER PEG 2
More from around the web