Darcie West charged in Fredericton hi...

Darcie West charged in Fredericton hit-run that killed CBC producer

There are 178 comments on the www.cbc.ca story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Darcie West charged in Fredericton hit-run that killed CBC producer. In it, www.cbc.ca reports that:

Canadian Crime News: Atlantic:

2 others arrested

2010 02 10

CBC News

A 20-year-old woman has been charged in the hit-and-run death of Dianne Trottier, a CBC producer who had been crossing a Fredericton street in her wheelchair in 2009.

Trottier, 33, who worked for CBC News in Toronto, was hit by a vehicle while crossing at a crosswalk on Aug. 29. She died later in hospital.

Darcie Victoria West of Chipman, N.B., is charged with attempting to obstruct justice by destroying evidence, threatening violence against people to impede justice, and failing to stop to offer assistance, knowing that she was involved in an accident.

She has not entered any pleas. She remains in custody pending a bail hearing on Monday.

A 28-year-old woman and a 50-year-old man who were also arrested in connection with the accident have both been released on a promise to appear in court on March 31.

Police believe West was the driver of the Chevrolet Cobalt that struck Trottier as she crossed the intersection of Regent and Beaverbrook streets in her motorized wheelchair.

West and the other woman were arrested Tuesday afternoon. The man was arrested on Wednesday.

Police have not said how they found the suspect car, but Fredericton police Const. Ralph Currie said tests concluded the dark blue Chevrolet Cobalt was the vehicle in the fatal hit and run.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cbc.ca.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
abc123

St. John's, Canada

#2 Feb 11, 2010
You have not one sweet clue what your talking about. Maybe you should learn the FACTS before you start passing judgment.....just goes to show how ignorant people can be....and you are clearly an idiot!
Carl

Santa Clara, CA

#4 Feb 11, 2010
nope i agree with ben 100%im from minto n im well aware of the situation..and ppl try n give pitty to darcie..pahh WHAT ABOUT THE INOCENCE WOMAN WHO LOST HER LIFE AT THE HANDS OF SUMONE LIKE THIS.!
Indeed

Edmonton, Canada

#5 Feb 11, 2010
Well put carl you're Final statement is true but the drug dealer dad shit doesn't need to be stated a idividual controls they're own life and makes they're own decisons , just because their parents do this and that doesn't necessarily make them a bad person. I don't believe pity should be put on it either there was plenty of time between august and now to confess. Why now? Why not the day after? Or even a week? How do u knowingly do this and live with it that long? Justice will be served the same way as it should be for you and I if we were to be in this situation. But maybe this isn't a bad person were talking about maybe it's bad judgement calls. In the other hand I was not there when it happened so all I can do is sit back and watch and hope that justice is served. And yes I agree with you both
Indeed

Edmonton, Canada

#6 Feb 11, 2010
And I do not believe that clv was trying to put pity into the situation. I think it was more meant towards bens irrational excerpt about things that may have influenced this individual but don't necessarily pertain to her. I don't know Darcie but I don't think things need to be stated this way even tho this is a brutal and tragic story. By reading about her it states she was a well loved indiviadual and accomplished many things that not everybody accomplishes on a regular basis.
Carlos Viviano CLV

Edmonton, Canada

#7 Feb 11, 2010
Thanks indeed. I guess I should have finished my comment to get my full point out there. I hope jstice is served! And I belive you're right carl
ace

Fredericton, Canada

#8 Feb 12, 2010
real shame.a lot of lives altered forever.much like a lot of posters i know the accused as well.a good natured but troubled youth.all transgressions that could be forgiven.however in this case there is no excuse for the accused actions.the cover up,the threats .she obviously had no intention to turn herself in.how she lived with herself for 6 months with this terrible secret cannot be supported or understood and although she was old enough to make her own decisions i think that someone in her family should of encouraged her to do the right thing but instead encouraged her to try to avoid detection.all this did was make a bad situation much,much worse.my sympathy lies with dianne trottier and her family.may you find some closure when this is over.
darciesmom

Fredericton, Canada

#10 Feb 12, 2010
I am darcie's mother and i love her and am proud of her. you seem to forget that darcie and dianne both made mistakes-very serious ones and darcie if you really knew her,is not at all selfish.the west family sends our condolences to the friends and family of dianne and we thank them for their heartfelt thoughts toward darcie and us.You are good people and we are all so srry. It is too bad others are more vindictive and judgemental than diannes family.Itruly hope that you people and your children are never judged as you have done to us .you will have to answer to this.Also you do not have the real facts.
The three girls that haven't been charged is because they cried threats-- untrue and we have the proof to back it up. Also the 50 year old man is being charged by the same girls to try and save their souls.and for the record darcie stopped long enough to make sure dianne had help and allthe others were screaming at her to go. Remember she did not own the car. My daughter needs your prayers not your criticism.YOU don't know that it won't be you or your child
A friend

Moncton, Canada

#11 Feb 12, 2010
I have only known Darcie for a few years but I can tell you one thing that she is a good person. I have kids of my own so I can only imagine what her family is going threw right know God Bless you all including Dianne's family.
Stay strong and have faith
not Darcie West

Hillsborough, Canada

#12 Feb 12, 2010
so what she stop to make sure she had help. when was she planning on coming clean to the cops? NEVER!
Just

Canada

#13 Feb 12, 2010
Lock it up!
Just

Canada

#14 Feb 12, 2010
Oh and Janice get over it you need help too
Concerned

Fredericton, Canada

#15 Feb 12, 2010
Very well said darciesmom! Everyone feels that they need to give their awful opinions by judging someone on their upbringing etc. What do they really know?? Nothing! The only thing that they know is what is being portrayed on the news. They have obviously never been on the news or they would know that sometimes it is truly one sided.
The fact of the matter is that this could happen to anyone. Yes, maybe they wouldn't react the same way. NO ONE knows! How can they know until it happens to them?
I am shocked to see that no one on here is putting any of the blame on the other 3 girls. They are just as guilty and should be ashamed of their selves for lying to get out of it. BUT WAIT!! That is because those on here putting nasty comments doesn't really know the WHOLE story!! They are going by gossip and the negative that has been on the news.
So those who agree with Ben I will leave you to think of something......
Just because a person doesn't have the best of upbringing doesn't make them a bad person themselves. The fact is that Doctor's, Teachers, Minister's etc...have children who commit crimes even with a so called good upbringing.
What happened is very tragic. A life was lost and bad decisions were made BUT I am going to wait to hear the WHOLE story unfold before I pass any kind of judgement.
know darcy well

Canada

#16 Feb 12, 2010
All I want to say is that I am really sorry to hear this about Darcy and the deceased lady, I know Darcy and Janice very well, So to all you people posting things here please wait till you hear the real and true story, and who the heck gave you the right to judge,
"The judging of those that judge others is according to the law of retaliation; With what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged"
Boo123

Toronto, Canada

#17 Feb 12, 2010
darciesmom wrote:
I am darcie's mother and i love her and am proud of her. you seem to forget that darcie and dianne both made mistakes-very serious ones and darcie if you really knew her,is not at all selfish.the west family sends our condolences to the friends and family of dianne and we thank them for their heartfelt thoughts toward darcie and us.You are good people and we are all so srry. It is too bad others are more vindictive and judgemental than diannes family.Itruly hope that you people and your children are never judged as you have done to us .you will have to answer to this.Also you do not have the real facts.
The three girls that haven't been charged is because they cried threats-- untrue and we have the proof to back it up. Also the 50 year old man is being charged by the same girls to try and save their souls.and for the record darcie stopped long enough to make sure dianne had help and allthe others were screaming at her to go. Remember she did not own the car. My daughter needs your prayers not your criticism.YOU don't know that it won't be you or your child
I am having trouble understanding something regarding your post. Exactly what was the mistake Dianne is guilty of? What did you mean she stopped long enough, if she had did that she would have been at the scene until help arrived and not taken off and hide for 6 months. Witnesses even say the car drive off in a high rate of speed she had no concern for Dianne's well being. Were you at the scene? What you are going by is what she is saying, this is the same girl that lived her life 6 months after killing someone. If this was me I would have stayed at the scene to give my side of the events. By running off you are clearly prooving your guilt and wrong doing. So from all you know about the case how come you didn't take her to the police the next day? That would be the best thing as a parent have your child confess their wrong doing so that they don't dig themselves in a larger hole like in this case. Then maybe these supposed fake threats would have not come in to play. You come on here ask for prayers for your child? While your child got to continue your life Dianne's family was mourning there loss and wondering how someone could just leave her there. By you knowing and not saying anything I question your morals too. Imagine the rolls were reversed, how would you feel about this. You'll still be able to see your child, Dianne's family won't ever see her again. No sympathy here.

Since: Feb 10

Canada

#18 Feb 12, 2010
"I am darcie's mother and i love her and am proud of her. you seem to forget that darcie and dianne both made mistakes-very serious ones"

Sure you love your child but don't blame the victim here. Dianne had many battles to overcome herself and she is not longer here to defend herself .

"and darcie if you really knew her,is not at all selfish."

Darcie has lots of good qualities. Outside of her rough and tough exterior she is a soft hearted person with fears like everyone. But in her mistake, she did a terrible moral and illegal action that brings judgment to her character. Illegal activities bring you before a "judge", for a reason. We are all shocked, fearful at times but you need to do the right thing to fix your mistakes.
"the west family sends our condolences to the friends and family of dianne and we thank them for their heartfelt thoughts toward darcie and us. You are good people and we are all so srry."
I highly doubt Dianne's family and friends are feeling sorry for her and your family.
It's not always about you and your family, a little too late to be sorry now. They have enough pain to deal with, but eventually for themselves they will need to forgive.
" It is too bad others are more vindictive and judgmental than diannes family.Itruly hope that you people and your children are never judged as you have done to us .you will have to answer to this."
Vindictive? You are so quick to blame and judge others when the facts don't suit your perceptions. Remember when you point at someone else, Three fingers are pointing back at you. You just never got that yet. I doubt even this will teach you that. Again not about you.
"Also you do not have the real facts."
Neither do you on that night. Everyone in the community is saddened and torn because watching her and her family grow up, we all hoped for her sake she could turn out okay, but truly knew the odds were stacked against her to not be. That was a fact. That's why so many are devastated, because many tried to help her go down the right roads. Darcie has learned to cover up, lie well, intimidate and avoid consequences. Who then cry that they are the victim. Sad. That was just a way of life for her and she was a victim years ago.

"The three girls that haven't been charged is because they cried threats-- untrue and we have the proof to back it up. Also the 50 year old man is being charged by the same girls to try and save their souls.and for the record darcie stopped long enough to make sure dianne had help and allthe others were screaming at her to go. Remember she did not own the car"

Doesn't matter, she was driving, she is sitting in jail. Don't divert the attention away from Darcies's and the 50 yrs old man’s wrongful actions to cover this up. They all lied. I bet he coached her not to tell and fixed the car, so it could not be found out. He's such a law abiding citizen himself. Won't the drug trafficking charges he faces be coming up in March when he appears on charges on this.
" My daughter needs your prayers not your criticism.YOU don't know that it won't be you or your child mom."
She needs prayers, support but more than that she needed guidance from those who should of taught her early on to take accountability for her little mistakes and actions,model and do the moral and tough things in life. Part of the reason she was able to live with it for 6 months, but I am sure it bothered her. When others couldn't of.
Darcie has a great heart but troubled, and had to be tough to survive, protect herself from judgment and craziness she grew up with.
But she has tried to turn her life around then gets sucked back into the craziness. Sad, now she is paying a serious price and consequence for it now as an adult. I hope she gets the help she needs and learns from it, becomes an example and turns her life around for good, because she deserves that and has it in her. No pity for you as her mom. I pity Dianne’s mom more.
Hunter

Orangeville, Canada

#19 Feb 12, 2010
What are the names of the other girls that were in the car?
High School Friend

Lower Sackville, Canada

#20 Feb 13, 2010
I went to school with Darcie and she was always so nice to me. I know when I was getting bullied and picked on Darcie stood up for me. I understand fully that she deserves the punishment but seriously I know I would not want a bunch of people writing all this about me. I know if that had happened to me I would have been terrified. This does not change who a person is on the inside. She is only human to and people make mistakes. Let her get on with her life, dragging this on only makes it harder for everyone.

Rest In Peace Dianne

Prayers for Darcie.
Carl

Santa Clara, CA

#21 Feb 13, 2010
darcie had no intentions at all bout turning hereSELF IN...AFTER ALL OF IT HAPPEN SHE WAS STILL DRIVING AROUND DRINKING AND DRIVE WITH A BIGG SMILE ON HER FACE!!!!!
Hunter

Orangeville, Canada

#22 Feb 13, 2010
High School Friend wrote:
Let her get on with her life,
Darcie can get on with her life AFTER Dianne Trottier gets justice.

Same goes for those other girls in that car.

Some one must know their names...

Since: Feb 10

Canada

#23 Feb 13, 2010
Carl, I know it seems hard to believe that Darcie didn't seem affected, but I bet she really was. Appearances can be deceiving.
She is not a monster. She couldn't ever show she was weak. No surprise she couldn't do or act how others would of done in the same circumstances and face the consequences.

Darcie had to be the protector and act tough to cope, stuff how she really felt deep down. It's a really sad circumstance all around for everyone. But she still has her life to turn it around. Truly hope she can do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredericton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Military phases out relief effort in New Brunsw... Feb '17 Frosty 1
New immigrants Jan '17 Iqbal 1
News Young Atlantic Canadians shouldn't have to leav... Nov '16 No Jobs No Cash eh 1
News Veterans Affairs data gives detailed picture of... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Maria 1
News New Brunswick premier working with communities ... (Aug '16) Aug '16 McAdam NB Earthqu... 1
Help me welcome!!!!! (Jan '16) Jul '16 RaRa 3
News New album gets a hot start for country singer T... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Prince 1
More from around the web