Stratacon Submetering Company

Stratacon Submetering Company

Posted in the Edmonton Forum

Since: Feb 11

Edmonton, Canada

#1 Feb 14, 2011
Has anyone dealt with Stratacon? It appears to the the biggest rip-off in Alberta!!!

I am new in Edmonton and only 2 months in my apartment. My electricity bill is contracted through Stratacon and the monthly costs include $9.75 administartion fee and $4.00 meter and data fee. In other words,$13.75 every month just to issue a utility bill!!?

That's good business for Stratacon but real robbery for the renters!!
Mashud

London, Canada

#2 Jul 11, 2011
I am from Toronto, this company is ripping me of too.I m looking for option to get rid of these suckers. But the problem is that the building I am living in giving option to Stratacon only. If anybody has any idea about how can I get rid of this guys. What happens , my usage bill 250% higher than the same time last year with same kind of electric appliances in my suite ,I requested them to investigate their physical meter if it is taking the reading correctly or not, the representative asked me to give consent like if they don't find any problem then I will have to pay the technician fee, why do I have to pay technician fee where I am already paying all those fee. I never had my concern resolved with them , It probably because they are doing monopoly in this building ---if any one has any idea I will really appreciate it
Sam

Scarborough, Canada

#3 Oct 28, 2011
They are really a big rip-off here in toronto as well. i am not sure how come no one complains.
my bill is 49 dollars, while my electricity charges is 18 dollars. On top of that do not pay by credit card, they would also show you a note at the end that another 6 dollars would be charged for convenient fees. like what the hell, no other company does this and they do not warn you at beginning. so basically your pay 3 times than a regular hydro bill. What a shame, the city should be ashamed of this big time, while paid by tax payers and they allow and certify this type of business.
jones

Ottawa, Canada

#4 Jan 28, 2012
Stratacon is famous for sending out late bills with a few days before due date - also one was 5 days overdue when it hit my mailbox.

Then comes a form for a pre-authorized payment through my bank account.

My hydro bill always lands in my mailbox in most cases past the due date or 4 or 5 days to pay.
I think this is a deliberate act to get me to sign up for pre-authorized through my bank account.

All my other bills are early so it is not the mail system as they are trying to claim.

Also anyone else I asked in this condo building are having the same game played on them.

Their contract if up in less then a year so they are going to be history.
granny

Sterling Heights, MI

#5 Feb 2, 2012
my condo building signed up with Stratton starting inSeptember last year.
September, October and November bills were an astronomical $180.00 (approx.)
Each month - while my condo fee went down $94.00 a month. I thought that was bad but I just got my December electrical bill and it was $310.00. When I phoned they said it was the electric heat....and then as above there is the $13.75 + HST charge.....this is outrageous.....
Smith

Toronto, Canada

#6 Feb 21, 2012
Strata-con is certainly one of the biggest RIP OFF sub-metering company there is.

we hardly use electricity in our home and try to reserve energy as much as possible and yet we are burdened every month with outrageous bills from this pest of a company.

when you call them up they don't do anything about it and usually have some outrageous explanation as to why the bill is so high.

who can we contact for help if not stata-con them self's?
Jem

Toronto, Canada

#7 Jul 30, 2012
Adding feedback, my building uses Stratacon (now EnerCare) for the meters. I believe their bills are accurate, as I've used the online tool to check daily and weekly consumption and it aligns with what I expect.

HOWEVER as jones mentioned, EnerCare is indeed notorious for sending late bills. I frequently receive the mail just days before the due date (usually 5 days or less before due date). A couple times, got the bill after the deadline. This is not very ethical and I think they're deliberately doing it.

They should be able to deliver a bill in a timely fashion, that gives a reasonable time to respond with payment. I bet they're breaking a law or two, anyone know?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edmonton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Open minded 15 hr Tom Clancy 1
Poll How Many of you are Nudists (May '13) 15 hr Tom Clancy 92
The Gas Pump: Easiest place to get laid in Alberta (Nov '12) Aug 25 jeff 4
News What's missing from review of Trans Mountain pi... Aug 25 15shaun15 2
Is Halifax Band "Hillsburn" the Next Big Thing? Aug 22 Elevating Muzak 2
looking for woman interested in using me as a h... (Jul '15) Aug 13 Okiedoke03 15
News 'He's breaking in, for God sakes': Family sobs ... Aug 10 NDP FINI in MB 1
More from around the web